James Gray Campbell was born at Bonnington (a suburb of the city of Edinburgh) Scotland, on February 24th, 1828, the eldest son of Blair Campbell and his wife Isabella (nee Gray).
As soon as old enough he attended the common schools of Edinburgh and Leith. His father having removed with his family to the town of Leith, which is the seaport of Edinburgh and about two miles distant. His school days ended when he reached the age of twelve years. He was then put to work assisting his father, who was a shoemaker doing business on his own account.
When at the age of thirteen years, Philip C. Gray, a bookseller and stationer of the city of Edinburgh desired to have James for a clerk in his store.
He remained with Mr. Gray, in that employment, for two years, during which time he made large use of the books in the store, during the intervals between waiting on customers. As the books were all for sale no thumb marks or dog ears on them would go, so the careful handling of books became a confirmed habit.
Mr. Gray was a man of fine education, a perfect gentleman and of most amiable disposition, but of rather quick temper. About the end of the second year of said clerkship the boss lost his temper, for slight cause, and told James to go home. James went and absolutely refused to return.
At the age of seventeen years he went to the city of Glasgow, as a journeyman shoemaker and remained there, on his own resources entirely, for about a year, and then returned to Edinburgh.
In the early spring of 1849 his health failed. It seemed as if his time was to be short. His physician called the trouble functional derangement of the lungs, and palpitation of the heart, caused by weakness resulting from the lung trouble. Early in May of that year an elderly gentleman and his three young lady daughters were going to Kane county, Illinois, where a son of the father had already settled. They were to be accompanied by another young lady, the fiancee of said son, and her brother. Campbell desired a kill or cure, and thought that such a trip would be one or the other. The matter was referred to the doctor and he highly approved of the idea. So James also accompanied the party.
Sometime in May, 1849, the party started by railway for Glasgow on the river Clyde. Campbell was so much exhausted by the trip that his father and eldest sister, who had accompanied him that far, urged him to return. He refused. So passage was secured for the party on an American vessel bound for New York. On the voyage which lasted five weeks, he recovered rapidly and on arriving at New York he was able to help materially in handling the baggage of the party.
After a short stay at that city passage was secured by steamboat, up the river Hudson, to the city of Troy, and from thence by canal to the city of Buffalo, and then, by steamboat, by the lakes and Detroit river, to Chicago. Chicago was then a dirty little frontier town; but the Illinois and Michigan canal had then, lately, been opened from there to LaSalle on the Illinois river and the foundation of the greatness of the city had been laid. There was then a railway running west perhaps forty or fifty miles from Chicago, and that was the route to the destination of his said friends, and, so far, his fellow travelers. He would have accompanied them; it was painful to part from the, but he had undertaken a trust which he felt bound to execute, although he had accepted it when he had no realizing sense of the magnificent distances in the geography of the United States. It came about in this wise: A gentleman by the name of Cunningham in his youth emigrated to America and afterward returned to Scotland. Either by inheritance or purchase he became the principal owner of the real estate in said suburban village of Bonnington and was known among the people there as the "Auld Laird." There he raised a family of five sons and three daughters. The father of James Campbell was also born and reared at the same place; was a playmate of such of the Cunninghams as were about his age and there was always a very friendly feeling between the two families. One of the Cunningham girls married a Mr. Blair. She, with her husband and three of the said sons, John, George and Andrew, went to Canada and finally located in Cass county, Illinois; and about the same time three other members of the Blair family settled there also. As soon as the Cunninghams, at the Bonnington home, learned that James Campbell was going to Illinois, they said: "He will see our brothers," and they wrote letters (International mails were then much slower and uncertain and, with all, more expensive than now), and prepared little packages of remembrances to be sent to their friends in Illinois, and the members of the Blair family did likewise; these packages were packed in Campbell's little trunk. So, when he got to Chicago, he had those tokens of love in his keeping, and he knew no way of delivering them except by hand, which meant to him, a trip on the canal to LaSalle and, then by steamboat down the Illinois river to Beardstown. That was practically the only way to get there then from the north. Arriving at Beardstown in the afternoon of July 3rd, he was put ashore on the river bank, with his little trunk by his side. As he stood and wondered what next would befall this solitary stranger in a strange land, a young Swiss came up and said "Want hotel?" who, on being informed that his guess was right, shouldered the trunk and led the way to the hotel, then kept by a Mr. Foster who soon made the traveler feel almost at home.
Early next morning (July 4, 1849) our traveler learned from Mr. Foster that it was not the day for the stage to go east and that every team for hire as well as the other city teams had gone to Virginia, as there was to be a big celebration there, and a Barbecue. Mr. Foster did some scouting about town and came in and reported that a Mr. Davis and his two daughters had come from Virginia to spend the holiday and wold return in the afternoon and that he had engaged a seat in their rig for the "new Scotchman". Mr. Davis proved a pleasant companion and his two, really and truly, handsome girls were not less so. This Scotchman had no knowledge of Barbecue and as he had a craving for knowledge he inquired of Mr. Davis what it meant. He explained this wise: A big crowd get together in the hot sun and dust and they bring a beef or two and hogs and try to cook them whole, or nearly so, over big fires in the smoke and dust out of doors and when they get them half cooked they get the stuff spread on dusty benches and, sweating and roiling in dust, they gather around and eat the stuff like hogs." As James learned that the Davis farm adjoined Virginia (almost so at least) on the north, he concluded that Mr. Davis must have thought himself slighted in some way by the "management" and concluded to have nothing to do with the patriotic gathering.
The sun was getting low in the west, when Mr. Davis with his load, drove on to the west square of the town. The exercises of the day being over the crowd was dispersing. Notwithstanding Mr. Davis' description of the Barbecue, the departing people all looked happy, and just as if they had enjoyed a grand good time.
Of course the Cunninghams and the Blairs and their cousins, their uncles and their aunts were there in force and the "new Scotchman" was soon introduced.
Our traveler soon found himself in the Andrew Cunningham wagon, with Jack Cunningham as driver, and a fine crowd of young folks from the "Tan yard:" so it was then generally called, because Andrew Cunningham then had a tan yard there; but the name of the place was Allendale, named after the family name of Mrs. Cunningham, his amiable and talented wife. She was born in Sweden and had her early education there, but by blood and general temperament she was thoroughly Scotch, perhaps mellowed and refined by much travel and residence in land other than the homes of her ancestors.
In that wagon load, the Russell family, for sixty years well and favorably known in the neighborhood of Virginia, was largely represented, including Eliza (now Mrs. Menzies.)
At the home of Andrew Cunningham our subject had a cordial welcome to a delightful home, and as he was not seeking particularly for fortune, but anxiously for health, and the smell of tan bark being healthful he went to work at nominal wages at the tan yard. Mr. Russell, the father of said Russell family was foreman there and Richard (Dick as we called him) Thompson was his right hand supporter. John Cunningham had died some years before this, leaving sons, James, Thomas, Archibald and the aforesaid Jack; also a daughter who was then the wife of Robert Taylor. Some of them have passed to the great beyond; but all old settlers will remember them as in all respects above reproach. George, the other of the three original Cunninghams, was a man of sterling honesty and intelligence. He left a large family, the members of which are, or were, well and favorably known to most of the readers of this paper. In those days the children of Andrew Cunningham were all young. Willie, a fine, handsome boy, most of the residents of the Virginia precinct before the war of 1861, will remember, with regret, that he went to the front and gave up his young life, so full of promise, in defense of his country's flag. James, you have still with you; always genial, and yet, an old bachelor. Who can explain why? Floy was the baby then; Maggie just blossoming into womanhood, but now both among the very dear old ladies.
So far the Blairs had little notice in this reminiscence, but we must not pass them lightly by. They performed well their part in the early days of Virginia and Cass county. In 1849, William and David Blair were residing at Virginia and there on that July 4th the said "raw" Scotchman met them. Their sister Melville also resided there. Both of said brothers died within a few years after that. They were both honorable men. William was farmer; David had been a partner of Mark Buckley, but at that time with John Rodgers as cabinet maker. William left surviving him two fine daughters who grew up to a noble womanhood, in and about Virginia. David left one daughter, now the wife of Mr. Hillig. Miss Melville Blair resided many years in a cottage nearly opposite the home of "Jimmie" Finn, a once noted character of Virginia. There she gave lessons in music to lady pupils.
Early in the spring of 1850, he boarded at the home of John Robertson, a widower with a fine family of sons and daughters, about a mile from the tan yard and on the west side of Sugar Grove. Around that grove at that time there was a choice lot of genial homes. the little log schoolhouse in the middle of the grove, with puncheon floor and benches, was the church as well as schoolhouse of the settlement. there they had Sunday School regularly and preaching, when they could catch a preacher; their singing classes, when a teacher came along and got up a class at a dollar a head; and, through the winter months, their debating society meeting, in which an intense interest was taken.
In the summer of 1850 our Scotchman's father, mother, three sisters and two brothers arrived at Virginia, and first, for a short time, made their home in part of the house of George Cunningham in the country, not far from the "tan yard." In the summer of 1851 his sisters Isabella and Margaret arrived from Scotland. They were accompanied by David McLaughlin; afterward the wife of Isabella; David Redpath, who settled at Princeton - or Jersie prairie - and was intimately associated with Jacob Bergen. Miss Ann Boyln also was of the party. She, a few years after, married William Ferguson. David Redpath was a very lovable man. He married at Princeton, had a fine family, but death claimed him while they yet needed a father's care; but he left them in charge of a good mother.
In the summer of 1851, this subject had a job on the farm of William Wood, about a mile or two east of Virginia, at the then fair wages of $11.00 per month, in the fall of that year he resigned the job in favor of David McLaughlin who was out of a job and gladly accepted the situation and held it all winter. In the spring David got a situation at Virginia, as clerk in the general store of Henry H. Hall and in the summer of 1852 he married said sister Isabella, at the home of her father, at that time in a little log cabin at the tan yard. David soon afterward removed to Beardstown as clerk in one of the principal stores and, afterward, became partner, in the firm of Chase, Parker and McLaughlin. There he had five sons born to him christened respectively: William Blair, David Chase, James Campbell, John Russell and Andrew Cunningham. Late in the fall of 1864, David McLaughlin with his family removed to Muskegon, Michigan. There he prospered and rose to more than local distinction. For twenty-one years he was a member of the Board of Education of the city and then declined further service. A banker's wealth and not the banker's ability (by the general judgment) was all that prevented David from being the congressman from his district at one time. He was for a time collector of customs for the western district of Michigan, and had the high compliment of being relieved from that office by President Cleveland on the ground of being an "obnoxious partisan," so it was called, and it was convenient for opening a place for some hungry partisan. His son William is now one of the leading bankers of Michigan. David, Jr., went to Utah; was at one time the only "gentile" in the Utah territorial legislature. He died there, wealthy, a few years ago. James is now a prominent member of the Bar of Michigan. John died while still a boy. Andrew was for many years professor of history in the Ann Arbor university of Michigan and is now a historian whom Theodore Roosevelt cites, as an authority, in one of his (Roosevelt's) historical works on the early settlement of the west of this country.
The sister Margaret became the wife of John Rodgers, the former partner of David Blair. She had five children, but husband and children are all gone and all that is left to her of her own family is one granddaughter. She now resides with her sister Jeanie, Mrs. George Ellis, in Minnesota. Euphemia, next older to James of the Campbell family, became the wife of Alfred Carman, and within two years afterward died. At all times she was the special friend and champion of her brother James. She left a baby girl which soon had to be laid upon her breast in the cold ground. The sister Mary became the wife of George Wilkie. She died on their farm north of town in 1865 or ‘66. She left two sons and two daughters, who will be remembered by most of the readers of this paper.
The brother John was married to a daughter of Joseph Needham, one of the early settlers. He now resides in Nebraska, as do all his numerous family.
The brother Archibald, (generally called Archie), was the flower of the Campbell family. After the installment of Abraham Lincoln in the presidency, a movement was started to have James appointed postmaster at Virginia. That was without his request or even knowledge; but the commission came at about the time Capt. L. S. Allard led his company, afterward Company F of the 19th Ify. Vols. to camp at Springfield. James felt, that with his short but intensive history as a "precinct politician" immediately behind him, and with his reputation as the blackest sort of black republican, a due regard to consistency required that he should follow. Archie was then teaching school, in what was known as the Needham schoolhouse. James went there and almost by force compelled him to give up his school and take charge of the postoffice.
Archie was put in possession of the postoffice as deputy, and James left for the war.
After the battle of Bull Run it was evident that the war was going to be no ninety day picnic, so James resigned his postoffice commission and Archie was appointed instead.
Archie considered it his duty to stay and care for his father and mother, (then well along in years), and other family interests; but on the return of James, and the call for recruits being urgent, he, although not personally named in the call, thought it meant him and that he ought to obey. With a squad of other Virginia boys, (among them Rudolph Oliver and Henry Hinchcliff), he went to Jacksonville. Neither of the three returned. They enlisted in the 33rd Regt. Ill. Infy. Vol. in February, 1865. That regiment was then commanded by Charles E. Lippencott, of Chandlerville, and was somewhere on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico. They were immediately sent forward to join that regiment. The last letter from Archie was dated at Memphis, Tenn., on March 2, 1865. the next report of him was from a comrade, who write, that the boat they were on, upon a dark and stormy night, struck a snag and sunk. Rudolph being sick, had been provided with a stateroom and the last seen of Archie indicated the he was bent on the rescue of Rudolph. Rudolph's body was found afterward in the stateroom and was buried on the west bank of the Mississippi, near the mouth of the White and Arkansas rivers. Immediately on getting the sad news, James went down there, but got no tidings of his lost brother, or his body.
Archie was one of the bravest and the best; kind and gentle, but firm and steadfast. To know him well, was to love and respect him.
"He was the loved of all, yet none
O'er his low bed may weep."
But let us go back to the Virginia of 1849 for a while. There was little business then at what is now the court house square. What little mercantile business was done then, was mostly at the old court house square. At the south end of the west side, was the general store of N. B. Thompson, a large good looking man, with a fine family of boys and girls; a rabid democrat, but with all a very good fellow; and, adjoining on the north was the general store of H. H. Hall. Angling across to the west end of the south side was the store and dwelling of "Honest" Charlie Oliver. His estimable wife was one of the daughters of Hon. Archibald Job, who was reputed to have been present at the battle of New Orleans, and who settled near the stream east of town, afterward known by his name, when the nearest postoffice was at St. Louis, who had been a member of the Illinois legislature and who mounted his fine gray horse and went to the Mormon war at Nauvoo. In the "Boston brick" at the southeast corner of the square dwelt and dispensed druggist's supplies, Dr. L. S. Allard. He afterward built at the southwest corner of the east square. On the south side of that square there was a long stretch of vacant space, but, near the east end, Mr. Erwin had a small store; and, angling across from there to the east side of that square, was the hotel, operated then by William Armstrong. On the west side of this square, looking painfully lonesome, although within one hundred feet of the Harris home, stood the postoffice, with Jack Mosley as postmaster. He had two handsome daughters, not to speak of fine sons, and sad and lonesome though that office looked at a distance, it did not seem so to the young men when they called there, for their mail, and, with it, got a smile from the daughter Lucy, for she was the belle of the town in those days.
In those days Virginia had no lawyer unless we count R. S. Thomas, who resides somewhere in the vicinity, and a year or two after that had his residence and office there. He became the prime mover and member of the enterprise that built the first railroad into Virginia, and Cass county. His chief clerk was John Naylor, and ardent politician of the old Whig school, a fine conversationalist and an all around good fellow, and who would have been a great man had he not been constitutionally tired.
We had Doctors Schooley, Hathwell, Tate, Allard (already mentioned,) and about that time Phillips; all fine gentlemen and good country doctors. Perhaps, in this connection, Logan Proctor should be mentioned. He was a brother-in-law of Dr. Tate; and, being an old bachelor, he was much at the doctor's home, and being quite a student, he used the doctor's library and the doctor's counsel to train himself in medical science. During a stormy night an urgent call, for a doctor came. All the doctors were out of town. The lady patient was in dire distress. Logan's sympathies were excited. He thought he might help till better skill arrived. He saddled the doctor's spare horse; put a few "simples" in the saddle bags and rode through the deep mud and darkness. He was introduced to the sick chamber and assured the patient that the doctor would soon arrive but meanwhile he could help. He felt the pulse, saw the tongue and began to prescribe. A lady attendant then remarked, "Mr. Proctor, perhaps you don't know what's the matter." "Indeed I do," he said, "I have been often that way myself." The laugh which followed astonished Logan, but he understood how the laugh came in shortly afterward when the lady had a fine new boy and was doing as well as could be expected. Logan bore the title of doctor, after that, given him by the boys, and Logan took it, with great meakness, for he was one of the meakest of men. He was really a dear, good soul, but somehow he did not seem to relish that title. Some years afterward, in due form and manner, by proper ecclesiastical authority, the prefix "Rev." was added to his name.
Between the years 1851 and 1855 the subject of this sketch knocked about ready to put his hand to any work that offered at what was considered then fair pay. He spent one year with John Wear o his farm northeast of town; and John, long years afterward, and often, remarked that "Jim" was the best hand he ever had. As circumstances led he worked at his trade, farmed for hire, and on his own account, worked on a brickyard, and, with Joseph and Isaac Robertson, run a threshing machine. In the spring of 1854 or ‘55 he opened a shop at Virginia. He took an active part during the winter months in the lyceum debates at the old court house where Dr. Harvey Tate was usually president, and Henry Phillips, (then school teacher), Dr. Allard, Henry Savage and many other able men participated.
On the nomination of Fremont and Dayton for the presidency, and vice presidency in 1856 Campbell, at first stood almost alone, in support of that ticket in the Virginia Precinct. In those days it was customary, in the front yards of dwellings and in front of business houses to raise poles and hoist flags. "Buchanan and Breckenridge," "Fillmore and Donaldson" were very much in "evidence." "Fremont and Dayton" on Campbell's pole was very conspicuous by its lonesomeness. In 1858 he was a delegate from Cass county to the first regularly called, republican state convention in Illinois. It met at Springfield, nominated a full state ticket and named Abraham Lincoln as its choice for U.S. senator.
As has been stated the Virginia company, afterward "F" of the 19th Regt. Infy. Vols., entered camp at the sate capital early in May, 1861.
In the spring of 1858, a military company was formed at Virginia under the name of "Virginia Guards." L. S. Allard was elected captain, Abraham Bergen, first lieutenant, and James G. Campbell, second lieutenant. The state had no arms then to give it and it was never armed nor uniformed, but it was drilled in company movements by Capt. Allard, who had been an officer in the Mexican war. At that time the Northern people were incredulous as to the Southerner's threats of war and the organization did not appear to be organized with any view to such war, but that it was thought of just as such things are thought of at any time. Beardstown had a company, "Why not Virginia?" seemed to be the thought.
When the war did come, Capt. Allard promptly tendered his company to Gov. Yates, (the original "old Dick), but Dick had at his command more than enough of fully organized, and well drilled and fully equipped companies to fill the quota at that time called for. So he told Allard to hold his company; that it would be called for soon. The men were hard to hold. Many of them drifted away hunting gaps in the ranks of the accepted, which they might be allowed to fill.
Knowlton H. Chandler, of Chandlerville, had organized a company there, but, it not then being accepted, there was the same drifting away from it as in Allard's case. When soon the "call" came to Allard, in order to fill the ranks to the required number Allard and Chandler united forces. The ladies of Chandlerville presented that company with a flag of silk, they carried it with them, and, when camped alone, it floated over its headquarters. Campbell has it now as a sacred relic.
It was tacitly understood that Allard should be captain of the consolidated companies and Chandler first lieutenant, but that the form of an election should be had of the three commissioned officers. The only contest was on second lieutenant. Campbell did not attend that election or take any part.
Early in July, the regiment having been furnished (all except one company) with smooth bore, altered flint lock muskets, (it soon after got Springfield rifle muskets), was ordered into active service, and was carried by rail to the Mississippi river and passed over into Missouri, somewhere above and near Palmyra. It was rapidly moved from place to place and before the end of that month company F was doing garrison duty at Hannibal and there while Lieut. Job was at his post of duty with his company he was killed as lately, in this paper, was graphically described by the pen of Comrade H. E. Ward. To give even a skeleton from the history of that company and Campbell's part in it would fill a good sized volume. The regiment, sometimes together, sometimes in detached companies, was continually in motion, with weary marches. In August, 1866, it was for a few days at Norfolk on the west bank of the Missouri. There came a commission as second lieutenant to Sargent Campbell.
The regiment was soon ordered to Washington; but one of the trains carrying it east, in crossing a bridge on the O. & M. R.R., had a wreck. The bridge broke. The engine and baggage car got over safely; one car went down, end up, the next crashed into it and the third car telescoped the second one and a fourth car telescoped the third one. In this, companies F, G, H and I suffered severe loss in killed and wounded. That accident changed the destiny of the regiment and after a short time for recuperation it was sent into Kentucky, entering at Louisville. From there it worked gradually southward, with wayside excursions and skirmishes till about the time of the battle of Shiloh or Pittsburg Landing, it, with the command of Gen. O. M. Mitchell, cut the Confederate communications (west and east) at Huntsville, Ala., by a forced march in the night from Fayetteville, Tenn. Soon afterward Gen. D. C. Buell assumed command of the U.S. forces in that region and began to gather large supplies and mass troops in northern Alabama, north of the Tennessee river, with the evident purpose of crossing and getting behind Chattanooga to capture that place, and with it, all of east Tennessee; General Bragg by a bold dash, with his army, through Cumberland Gap spoiled the plan of Buell and changed the program to a race for Louisville and the Ohio river. It was determined to hold the capital of Tennessee, so a garrison was left there under the command of General James Negley. The 19th Ill. was part of the garrison.
Company G of the 19th was by his order detached form the regiment to act as an artillery company and its officers being all on staff duty, by a special order of Gen. Negley, Campbell, who had been, about a year before that, promoted to first lieutenant, was detached from his company to command company I. With three pieces of artillery, that company was sent to Gallitan, on the line of the L. & N. R.R., south of Nashville. After Christmas, 1862, he had orders to turn over his military equipments and proceed by rail to Nashville; to assume the muskets and infantry equipments of the company and rejoin the regiment; but the battle of Stone river was on; the confederate cavalry were in force between Nashville and the army of Rosecrans, and, by order of the post commander at Nashville, he camped hi company by the Murfreesborough pike and "reported" to the commanding officer of the first body of troops going to the front. It was on December 31st, 1862, when the right wing of Rosecran's army was struck, early in the morning, on its extreme right and doubled back upon itself, and it looked like defeat; but the left wing was intact. By night order had been brought out of confusion on the right, and, although it had suffered severe loss, a new line had been formed for said wing at right angles to its first line and, at the point of the angle, was protected by the embankment of the L. & N. R.R., and there Rosecrans massed a large portion of his artillery.
In the afternoon of January 2, 1863, Gen. Bragg directed his attack on the Union left wing. The 19th was on a high bluff on the left bank of Stone river. The Confederates were advancing rapidly, driving the union forces before them. To the left of the 19th was a ford. The Confederates were crossing there. Gen. Negley, commanding the Union division there, galloped up to where the 19th lay, shouting: "Who will save my left?" the gallant col. Scott calmly but quickly mounted his horse and said, "The 195h is ready General." "The 19th be it then." In an instant the 19th were in ranks and by the left flank on the double quick they were quickly in front of the ford. Then "Halt! Front! Ready! Aim! Fire!" One sheet of fire; one cloud of smoke, and one great report, as if it were the discharge of one great musket instead of many. Then, as quick as thought, the orders, "Fix bayonets! Charge bayonets! Forward, double quick, march! Charge!" and the 19th was on them and the "Confederate yell" was hushed. The battle was won. The initiative of the 19th was followed up by the whole Union left wing. It became good generalship then on the part of Gen. Bragg, s rapidly with as little loss of material as possible, to withdraw his gallant army.
But he Union losses were heavy. Capt. Chandler led his company across the river, but on the farther bank a Confederate bullet pierced his head; a brave soldier and admirable man was honorably mustered out. Col. Scott was wounded also so that soon after reaching home he died from the effect of it. Early in the morning of January 3rd, Campbell with a party of comrades found Chandler's body where he fell (night had closed in at the close of the battle of the 2nd) and dug a grave, by the foot of the tree, which was marked for identification; and, wrapped in his great coat with its cape thrown over his face, he was gently laid away.
Campbell, that morning took command of his own company, and his commission coming soon after, gave him rank as captain from January 2, 1863. "Vice Capt. Chandler, killed in battle."
Campbell was then constantly with his company and regiment up to through the Chickamauga campaign, and the two days' hard fight of September 19th and 20th, 1863; and on the afternoon of the 20th they were with Gen. Thomas on the left curve of the Horse Shoe bend on the Snodgrass hill whereby the Confederates were held and pursuit prevented of the shattered right and center of Rosecrans' army, until night covered all. then the cannon wheels were muffled and silently, without haste and in perfect order, the men who had held that hill against three desperate assaults of the Confederate troops, marched toward Chattanooga. Tired and hungry they lay down to sleep in a corn field in front of Rossville Gap. Early next morning a defensive line was formed again to check the advance of the Confederates till Rosecrans had made defensive preparations immediately in front of Chattanooga. About midday the Johnnies began to show up. They made a few efforts to break our lines, but they seemed to have lost the "wire edge" of their valor and made no impression. When night came this rear guard passed quietly through the Gap and formed in the hastily constructed trenches prepared the day before. then began the siege of Chattanooga by the "rebs." The daily cannonade of solid shot and explosive shells became so common that they excited little fear and hardly any curiosity, except among the extremely nervous and they were in a very small minority.
The greatest trouble then was the short supply of rations for men and mules. There were large supplies at Stephenson, farther down the Tennessee river but the Confederates held the south bank thereof, and the only way to get them to the army was by mule power over two high ranges of mountains and the roads in the valleys and on the flats of the mountain tops were axle deep in mud. Along the whole of that long road dead mules were never out of sight. When the creatures pulled till they could do so no more, the harness was pulled off and they were left to die, or recover if they could.
When Gen. Grant came, his first move was to take and occupy the south bank of that river to within a short distance of Lookout Mountain, and supplies were brought there by small steamboats up the river and, from there a "cracker" road was made, across the big bend there of the river, making a short mule haul of crackers and pork to the bank of the river opposite Chattanooga - and the famine was over.
Early in September, Gen. Grant having been reinforced by troops from the east under Gen. Hooker, and Gen. Sherman, with the army of the Tennessee, he placed Hooker on his right and Sherman on his left. In the night he threw a strong force of Hooker's corps, across the river, westerly of where Lookout Mountain rises abruptly from the bank of the river. This body after a severe skirmish held the ground taken. Sherman established himself on the south bank of the river above Chattanooga.
On September 24th battle was opened in earnest by General Hooker, who attacked the left wing of Bragg's army, in the valley west of the mountain, which runs from the river bank by a very deep slope, covered with great boulders and scrub trees and bushes till, at about one hundred or one hundred and fifty feet from the top, it rises perpendicularly to where, on the plateau above, there were Confederate batteries. Hooker pressed the enemy up against the mountain and they fell back, disputing every foot of ground over and around the steep slope, under the precipice, and into the valley east of the mountain. Sherman, meanwhile, was thundering on the right flank of Bragg's army, near the east end of Missionary Ridge. On the next day Hooker was still following up Bragg's left while Sherman was thundering on his right, and the army of the Cumberland, under Thomas, was formed in one long line of battle facing Missionary Ridge. In the afternoon, with a thin line of skirmishers in front, it advanced rapidly without firing a shot, except from the skirmishers, under the artillery fire from the top of the ridge and musketry from the rifle pits at the bottom They seized the pits and had orders there to halt.
The position there was galling. Exposed to a dropping fire from men under cover at the top of the ridge, and the captured rifle pits furnishing poor, really no, protection on the reverse side; as if by general consent, the while line advanced and crowned the ridge. The enemy's center was broken. Bragg was defeated and the siege of Chattanooga was raised.
Capt. Campbell, leading his company, when about two-thirds of the way up the hill was halted by a bullet in the lower abdomen, toward the right side, which, coming from above, trended downward and lodged under the skin of his right hip. When he recovered sufficiently he had a leave of absence and made his only visit home during his service. He returned in the following March to duty with his company in time to take part in the advance on Atlanta. Company F participated in the actions along that hard contested advance till it reached Muriette, Geogia, near Atlanta. Its three year term having expired. What were left of the men, who three years before had been mustered-in were ordered back to Chicago to be mustered-out. They were mustered out, July 9, 1864. In the winter of that year he joined his brother Archie in a general store in Virginia.
That arrangement was broken up by Archie's death, as stated, and Archie's interest in the business was sold to William Hitchcock.
In May, 1865, he married Martha Jane Hitchcock, a sister of Mrs. Dr. Goodspeed. By her he had two children, Archibald James and Mattie May. The marriage relation was very happy, but was cut short and ended by pulmonary consumption. She died in the early summer of 1870. Mattie May soon followed her at the age of eleven months.
In the fall of 1871, he married at Malone, New York, Mrs. Harriet Meigs, a sister of his first wife, and removed to Muskegon, Michigan, and first went into the general hardware business. His wife and other friends strongly urged him to seek admission to the bar; so he sold his hardware business and devoted three months to special study of law, at home, at the end of which time a regular term of the circuit court for the county of Newaygo, Mich., was to be held at the county seat of that county. Accompanied by his brother-in-law, David McLaughlin, he went there and applied for admission. He knew no one there except his said brother-in-law. A committee of the bar was appointed by the court to examine him. After a lengthy examination in open court in all the main branches of law, he was, by the committee recommended for admission and was at once admitted and commissioned as an attorney and counselor at law, and a solicitor and counselor in chancery. He immediately went into practice of the law at Muskegan. he was afterward admitted to practice in the United States courts of Michigan at Grand Rapids, Michigan. In 1875, his said wife, Harriet, also succumbed to the fell destroyer - consumption.
He continued in the fairly successful practice of law at Muskegon, until in 1878, he got drawn into the newspaper and general printing business, though first assisting a young man (related to him by marriage) in the editing of a weekly paper, said young man, a printer by trade, had started. In the same year, 1878, Campbell married his present wife, Miss Alice Elizabeth Davis, then in her 18th year. Said marriage was a very happy one - notwithstanding disparity of their years. Campbell soon found that it was absolutely necessary for him to buy out his partner to get rid of him; and for that reason also to wind up his law business by refusing new cases. He soon made the "Journal" a daily as well as weekly. The office was the best equipped in that city and county. Had good steam power and a large cylinder press for newspaper work; ample fonts of type and all necessary appliances; two foremen, both experienced; printers and newspaper men, one for job work, the other for the paper; a good shorthand reporter; a circulation clerk, pressman and all the typesetters required. With proper management there was a fortune in it; but he needed a good business manager, a practical printer and newspaper man, so that he might give sole attention to the editorial department. The charge of all the details of such business was too much for one. The publisher of the rival republican paper, of the city, offered to buy him out, at a good price, which Campbell took in an hour of weariness and afterward regretted. He published the Journal four years. his law business at Muskegan having been broken up, he might have renewed it, but his mind being prejudiced by Jay Cook's literature regarding the "Great Northwest," he went out to view the land of promise; went into it as far west as Miles City, Montana, which was as far as he could go, then, by rail, and coming back invested in this, Stark county, North Dakota. it was then a wilderness. There was not a town or village between Mandan on the Missouri river and Glendive in Montana, a distance of over two hundred miles. Buffalo were then so numerous that sometimes the railroad trains had, actually, to stop to allow a herd of them to cross the track. The railroad track and "section houses" were the only signs then (spring of 1882) of civilization there.
In the confusion attendant upon housekeeping at Muskegon, his then youngest child, Glenlyon Drysdale, found a vial of liquid poison, of which his father and mother had no knowledge. He tasted it and within a very few minutes it was evident that the matter was serious. Medical aid was immediately called with all speed, but, within about one half hour he died in his father's arms. He was a beautiful boy of about the age of two years.
About the end of August, 1882, with two car loads of goods he and his family then consisting of his wife and sons, Archie and Clyde, arrived at a station on the N.P. R.R., about one hundred miles west of the Missouri river. There a colony of settlers from Wisconsin had started a settlement, about the time that Campbell first passed through viewing the land. He had brought the lumber from Minneapolis to build a house and he built it at said point, which he called "Gladstone", and was the first town platted in that region. He built a house there which is now the Gladstone Hotel, and wintered there, and there his first daughter, Alice Isabella, was born in December next following.
the next spring he built on his land, about four miles from Gladstone, early in the spring of 1883. In the fall of 1882, Dickinson had been platted and was beginning to be settled, largely by railroad men, as it was a division center on the railway. The spring before when Campbell first saw it, aside from what buildings the railway company had, it consisted of one two-story frame building, unplastered, and two shacks - all three being saloons. It is now a thriving city of about 3,500 inhabitants.
Early in the spring of 1883, Dickinson and Gladstone were both aspirants for county seat honors. A petition of fifty voters was then only necessary to move the governor of the territory, to appoint commissioners to organize a county. Petitions were presented to him by both places. Dickinson won by getting two of the three commissioners. They were appointed, and of these Dickinson had two and Gladstone got one. That one was Campbell. They became the county board and selected Dickinson for the county seat, and appointed all the other county officers, who held until the next general election in 1884. In the summer of 1885, he was appointed county commissioner for the Gladstone commissioner district, to fill a vacancy, and soon thereafter resigned that position to accept the office of judge of the probate court, and, in the fall of 1886, he was elected to the same office, for two years (regular term.) In 1887, he was elected district attorney for the county and held over into statehood, in the state of North Dakota. he declined further service in that office and was nominated and elected to five successive terms of judge of the county court and after an interval of two years he was again selected county attorney (now called states attorney.) He is now out of office but doing a fair law business as head of the firm of Campbell & Field - Field being an ex-Confederate colonel. His daughter Alice has been, for about four years, stenographer and typewriter in his law office; his daughter Nina has just graduated from high school here. His sons Archie and Clyde are locomo9tive engineers, with families of their own. Archie, as round house foreman on the C.E. & I. R.R. at station for Chicago, called Dalton. Clyde is located at the city of Fargo, as a road engineer on the N.P. R.R. His other children, all at home are: boys, Clarence, James and Theodore, and girls, Clementine and Ione - all shooting upward with good promise of being well worth the raising.
The Presbyterians, with whom he had been formerly associated, having abandoned about ten years ago this field of operations; and his wife and children, by her, having become attached by full membership, or connection with the choir, or Sunday School of the Episcopal church, he, with the, attended the regular services of that church also. For about six years, last past, he has been clerk of what is called the "Bishop's Committee," but did not receive "confirmation," as a communicant, till lately.
Among fraternal orders, he is Senior Post Grand of the Odd Fellow lodge and also Post Patriarch of Encampment, and member of Degree of Rebekah; also a Master Mason and member of order Eastern Star.