1876 Kankakee City Directory - pages 101 to 105
ILGenWeb Project

1876 Kankakee City Directory
pages 101 to 105

Kankakee County, Illinois
Return to the web table of contents for 1876 Kankakee City Directory
back to pages 96 to 100 forward to pages 106 to 110

(page) 101 KANKAKEE CITY DIRECTORY 1876

Esq., who owned and conducted the same until the 1st of April, 1856, when it waspurchased by Mr. Daniel S. Parker, now deceased. Some of the early numbers were printed in Chicago -- the infant town not yet furnishing a floor upon which to place a printing press. these impressions were procured at the Evening Journal office, from which office were also obtained the types and press upon which the Gazette was printed for some time after it came into the hands of Mr. Parker. After the issue of six numbers from the Evening Journal office, the Gazette's materials were shipped here, and there being yet no roof (sic) ready for their reception, Mr. Chester pre-empted a small portion of terra-firm under the spreading branches of an accommodation oak, where the first actual edition of the Gazette was struck off in Kankakee, many person looking on with eyes full of wonder, witnessing for the first time in their lives the operation of the "art preservative." It was better than a full-blown show to those who had never before beheld the mysterious workings of the printing-press, upon which human progress so largely depends, and to whose power the world so wondrously seems to move.Mr. Chester was not a practical printer, but a ready writer and made a good journalist. He was engaged in real estate matters, and gave only ageneral editorial supervis- to his paper, leaving the issuing and business management to other hands. among the uumber (sic) who so operated the Gazettemay be mentioned J.C. Lyman who was succeeded by J. M. Brown, who is turn was succeeded by Messrs. Grooms and Leonard. When Mr. Parker took possession of the office and issued his first number. April 2nd, 1856, there was a list of 500 subscribers. He remained sole proprietor of the Gazette until April, 1866,




1876 KANKAKEE CITY DIRECTORY (page) 102

when Wm. F. Keady bought a half-interest in the office, and was a joint partner in the concern until November, 1867, when Mr. Parker again became sole proprietor by buying back Mr. Keady's interest. He published the Gazette from that time on until the 1st of June, 1868, when Charles Holt bought out the entire establishment, and has continued ever since its editor and owner. The Gazette has been a Republican paper since 1856, and is one of the ablest of its class. It is 32-column folio sheet.The next paper started here was The Kankakee Democrat, in the spring of 1856, by Cyrus B. Ingham and Wm H. Austin. These gentlemen has published the Democrat but a short time when Mr. Ingham retired from the concern, and Mr. Austin managed it alone for a few issues, then took James Green as partner. After the issuance of about twelve numbers by this firm, C.A. Lake bought the entire interest of the office, but conducted the Democrat only a brief time before he received B.F. Fuller as an equal partner. This partnership soon came to an end by Mr. Lake selling out to Mr. Fuller, who conducted the paper for the balance of the "Buchanan and Breckenride" campaign of 1856. December 25th of that year, W.H. Bristol purchased a half-interest, and the next April bought Mr. Fuller entirely out, from which time he published the Democrat until July 1st. 1859 when he sold out to Jerome B. and Gabriel B. Durham. By themit was published until the summer of 1862, when, owing to the enlistment of both these gentlemen in the Union army, the Democrat was discontinued, its affairs fully adjusted at the time. The paper was always conservatively democratic, and firm in its patriotic devotion to the cause and interests of the Union.




(page) 103 KANKAKEE CITY DIRECTORY 1876

"Le Journal de L'Illinois" came next. The first number of this paper was issued Jan. 2d, 1857, by A. Grandpre and C. Petit. After about two years, Le Journal was transferred to Chicago, and from there to Watertown, N.S., where it was discontinued in 1869, Mr. Grandpre returning to Kankakee. On the 9th of December, that year, a. Grandpre & Co. issued the first number of their new paper,called "Le Courier di L' Ouest," and published it until July 7th. 1869, when this paper was also discontinued, (owing to political complications which rendered theact advisable and proper). On the 14th of the same month, Mr. Grandpre commenced the publication of "Le Courier de L'Illinois," which he has continued to this date. Dr. Thyfault was editor of this paper for som (sic) two years after it was started, and Mr. G. Demars is its present editor. It is Republican in politics, and is esteemed one of the best conducted French journals in this country.About the 20th. of October, 1862, Cyrus B. Ingham brought out the first number of The Kankakee County Union, a 28-column paper, Democratic in politics, and intended as a substitute for The Kankakee Democrat, which was discontinued two or three months previously. Mr. Ingham made a very creditable paper, which was alive to the local interests of the city, and accomplished much good in this community during the three years that it was published. Sheppard P, Smith was for some time associated with Mr., Ingham in the editorial management of the Union. Mr. Ingham is now editor and proprietor of the Jim River Advocate, published at Firesteel, Dakota Ter. On the 11th of April, 1866, N. H. Taylor commence the publication of The




1876 KANKAKEE CITY DIRECTORY (page) 104

Kankakee Journal devoted to home interest, and Republican in politics. The Journal was published until the spring of 1868, when it was "stopped," and Mr. Taylor soon after bought out another paper called The Kankakee Review, under the proprietorship of T.M. Kelly. June 7th, 1869, W. F. Keady, formerly of the Gazette, purchased the entire interest of the Review, and on the 9th issued his first number. He published the Review until July 21st.' 69, Mr. Keady admitted hisson Geo. B. Keady as a partner, and Nov. 15, 1870, Geo. B. Keady & Co. came into control of the Times, and no change has since been made. The Times, previously Republican, favors the principles and measures now advocated by the Indepentent (sic) party, and is very justly considered an able and fearless exponent of that party's cause. It is, besides, an excellent local paper.The last paper, but not the least, is The Kankakee Herald. The first number was issued early in September, 1872, by Messrs. W. W. Gibson and H.L. Henry, in the interest of Horace Greeley for the U.S. Presidency, on the Liberal ticket. In the spring of '73 Dr. Gibson sold out his interest to Mr. Henry, who has successfully conducted the paper to the present time. The Herald is the largest sheet published in the county, being a 7-colume (sic) quarto. It is Democratic in politics, is well edited, and receives a liberal patronage from the rank and file of its party friends in the city and county, and from the business community as well. The first annual review of the business interest of Kankakee was made by the writer in the winter of 1856-7, almost twenty years ago. The population




(page) 105 KANKAKEE CITY DIRECTORY 1876

was then estimated at 2,500 souls, though only a little more than three years after the city was platted. That review embraced, in part, the following data:Amount of receipts for dry goods, groceries, drugs, lumber, & ??., sold in Kankakee City (as then called) during the year 1856, as carefully ascertained:

Dry goods --$285,477.76 Clothing -- $ 22,000
Groceries and Provisions --$43,000 Hardware -- 53,100
Boots and Shoes --$24,000 Drugs and Medicines -- 17,000
Farming Implements --$25,000 Cabinet Ware -- 19,000
Lumber, &c. --$58,044.50 Stone, Lime, &c -- 20,000
Brick --$2,800 All other branches of trade --$ 45,469.43
  Land and lots sold by Thos. H. Perry & Bro.:
R. R. Lands -- $47,217.99 Kankakee City Lots -- $ 54,352.11
  Kankakee Freight and Passenger Business:
Receipts for Freight received by I. C. R. R. --$31,763.50
Freight Forwarded --$23,642.99 Passenger Fare -- $ 18,000
   
Total$789,378.28

At the same time the business places of this city were:Dry goods stores, 14; grocery and provisions stores, 8; hardware stores, 4; drug stores, 4; banks of deposit, 2; cabinet ware-rooms, 3; marble works, 1; sash and blind factories, 2; harness shops, 3; stone quarries, 2; livery stables, 2; blacksmithshops, 5; plow factory, 1; fanning mill factory, 1; gunsmith shops, 2; millinery shops, 3; jewelry stores, 2; clothing stores, 4; bakeries, 3; meat markets, 2; lumber yards, 5; wagon shops, 2; brickyards, 1; newspapers, 3--two English andone French. The amount of all grains shipped from this point in that year was, in round numbers, 398,786 bushels lumber received was 3,750,000 feet, besides lath,


Transcribed by Andrea Spenard

Return to the web table of contents for 1876 Kankakee City Directory
back to pages 96 to 100 forward to pages 106 to 110