1937 Flood - Public Health Response

United States GenWeb Project
Illinois GenWeb

Gallatin Co. Mailing List

Leave the subject
line blank. Then
type "subscribe"
as the message.

Regular Version
Digest Version

Also, check out the List Archives for past messages.

For more info
click here.

1937 Flood — State response

Illinois Department of Public Health
W hile floods were no novelty in Illinois, the flood that occurred in the winter of 1937 – inundating 978 square miles and scores of communities and thousands of homes – was different.

Alerted by heavy rainfall and rising water levels upstream along the Ohio River, the Illinois Department of Public Health anticipated trouble and, before the flood broke, sent several engineers to the threatened area to observe developments and to take any action necessary to protect public water supplies.

The first sanitary engineer was dispatched to Shawneetown on Jan. 18, 1937, and another was sent to two days later.

On Jan. 21, all of the state’s public water supply and waste disposal systems along the Ohio and Wabash rivers were functioning efficiently although flood waters had cut off highway traffic into Shawneetown and had driven numerous families from their homes in the lowlands and at Golconda. This news, along with estimates that the crest of the flood was still several days away, led the Department to assign engineers to every principal city in the threatened area to supervise water and milk supplies and waste disposal and to assist in the evacuation process.

When the need for mass evacuations became obvious, the Department moved its physicians and nurses into the area. Armed with typhoid fever and smallpox vaccine and other medical supplies, they worked with local physicians and other agencies to inoculate thousands of refugees against these diseases and to render medical and nursing services.

By Jan. 27, a staff of 10 physicians, 20 sanitary engineers and 15 nurses were on duty, operating out of a health center headquarters in the Carbondale post office building. The city also played home to a reserve depot stocked with supplies of vaccines, serums, chlorine and emergency chlorinating apparatus. From that point, the supplies were distributed through local medical units that had been set up throughout the territory affected by the flood.

During the peak of the emergency period, the Department was assisted by hundreds of relief workers from other state agencies, other nearby states, municipalities, the federal government, various industries and the Red Cross.

As a result of the severe flooding, seven municipal water supply systems were completely submerged, two others continued to function only by use of emergency equipment and most of the 35,000 people whose homes were completely or seriously inundated were evacuated to quickly established refugee camps – tent colonies, schoolhouses and churches.

Following the flood, a full-time generalized nursing service was established in the eight counties most seriously affected.

Under the circumstances, the flood victims were protected from disease and illness remarkably well. Many had already been inoculated against typhoid fever, smallpox and diphtheria as part of a Department promotion in that area during the three years prior to the flood.

Biographies | Cemeteries | Census | Churches | Come Visit
Communities | Families | Folklore | History | Links | Maps | Military
Misc. | Queries | Schools | Search this Site | Weather Info

©2002 Jon Musgrave
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor — thanks for stopping by!