Obituaries - N

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U-V | W | X-Z

Obituaries were submitted by Judy Simpson unless otherwise noted.


January 20, 1911
Clinton Register

Had Lived in DeWitt County 60 Years,
Personally Knew Lincoln, Douglas and Other Noted Men.

Lasting rest came quietly to Aaron NAGELY about 6 o'clock Monday evening at his home on South Madison street, his fatal illness beginning about three weeks before the final call came, death being hastened by a paralytic stroke about noon Monday.

Deceased was born in Clark county near Springfield, O., Mar. 26, 1817. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John NAGELY. When he was but seven years of age, the family removed from Clark county to Madison county, O., where the next few years of his life were spent on the farm. When he was but eighteen years of age, he commenced buying stock and doing business for himself. This employment took him into all sections of the state of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. There were no means of shipping stock in those days and he was obliged to drive them overland to the markets of Philadelphia and Baltimore. The older citizens of this county will recall those events and what a difficult task it was to take them over the mountains.

In 1849, he came to Clinton and had since lived here. At that time Clinton was but a village. He continued in the cattle business, driving his stock to market. He sold his hogs in the markets of Pekin, but the cattle he continued to take over the mountains to Lancaster, Pa. He was one of the first in the state of Illinois to take advantage of the railroads in shipping stock. He has the honor of shipping the first six carloads of live stock to the Union stock yards in Chicago. This was in 1886 and the stock yards were just north of where the I. C. depot now stands near Logan monument.

In 1852 he retired from the live stock business and went into the general merchandise business, forming a partnership with A. R. PHARES. The building which they occupied stood where the DeWitt County National bank now stands. The lumber which was used in the construction of the store was hauled overland from Indiana. This partnership was continued until 1857.

He then engaged in buying stock again and continued in this business until 1895, when old age compelled him to retire.

He has held many positions of trust and honor, not only for the community, but at one time was postmaster of Clinton, serving under Abraham Lincoln. For thirteen successive terms, he served his township as assessor. While he was a candidate, no one attempted to take the office from him, his ability giving him the confidence of the entire community. He and Abraham LINCOLN were warm personal friends. They became acquainted when Lincoln was a lawyer following this judicial circuit. Mr. Nagely once had a little transaction with a Tunbridge resident. The latter failed to live up to the contract. Abraham Lincoln learned of the matter and asked Mr. Nagely to give him the case, stating he would not charge anything for his services. Mr. Lincoln made the remark: “I think you will not be able to win the suit, but I want to be able to tell that fellow before a jury just what I think of a man who will not stand up to his word.”

In 1838, he was married to Eliza ADAMS of Madison County, O. They had a long life together, Mrs. Nagely living until 1897. Of the nine children, six survive: Mrs. Thompson BOSLER, San Francisco, Cal.; Mrs. Amos JOHNSON, Great Bend, Kan.; William G. NAGELY, Denver, Col.; C. E. NAGELY, Chicago; Mrs. Sarah J. HULL and D. C. NAGELY, Clinton. The two latter were at the bedside at the time of his death. Eighteen grandchildren survive, also nineteen great grandchildren.

He was made a Mason in 1844 and in 1850 he aided in the organization of the first lodge in this city. He served in this organization as Junior Warden. He too was a member of the Eastern Star and the Odd Fellows and served as enrolling officer during the war of the rebellion. He was a member of the Universalist church and was one of the regular worshipers at that church when his health and strength would permit. Politically he was a Republican and always much interested in his party's success.

Funeral services were held yesterday at 2 o'clock at the home, conducted by Rev. A. H. Laing. Burial in Woodlawn cemetery.

Many beautiful floral tributes from friends and relatives attested the great esteem and love of those who had known him so well as a man of unblemished character and Christian graces.

Zebadee NAGELY 

September 3, 1886
Clinton Public


Zebadee NAGELY, who for nearly thirty years had been a resident of Harp township, was found dead by the roadside near his home, last Wednesday evening, about five o'clock. In the afternoon he left his home on horseback and drove his cattle to the creek for water, and then he went on to Davis's brick yard to see about buying some brick. This was the last seen of him alive. An hour later a little boy found his body lying in the road on the hill east of Stubblefield's ford. When the body was examined by Dr. Hyde, no marks were found that would indicate that he had been violently thrown from his horse. Indeed, the horse was a very gentle one, and was grazing in the roadside near where his master lay in death. The indications are that the old gentleman died of apoplexy and fell from his horse.

Mr. Nagely was eighty years of age. He was an uncle of Mr. Aaron NAGELY, of this city. He was born in Randolph county, Virginia, on the 19th day of October, 1806. When a child, his father's family moved to Ohio. In 1830 Zebadee Nagely was married to Lydia BRIGGS, and two children were born to them. His first wife died January 9, 1849, and he afterward married Eliza TALBERT, who survives him. He has one brother still living, and we believe that his son lives in Missouri. The funeral took place this morning, and was conducted by the Rev. C. TALBOT. He was interred in Woodlawn Cemetery.

Lucy (Tyler) NAIL 

January 20, 1899
Clinton Public

Dr. J. H. Tyler received a telegram that his only sister, Mrs. Lucy NAIL, had died at her home on the 12th inst. near Webster City, Iowa, of pneumonia.  She was sick only eight days.  The doctor is the only surviving member of the family.  She was 66 years old and the youngest of the family.

Amos NEAL 

March 26, 1897
Clinton Public

Amos NEAL died at home near Farmer City, on Friday, March 26, 1897, at 1:00 a.m., aged 86 years, 4 months, 3 days. Funeral: M.E. Church, March 28th. Burial City Cemetery.


March 26, 1897
Clinton Public

Amos NEAL, father of Sheriff NEAL, died at his home in Farmer City this morning at 1 a.m., of old age. He was born in Kentucky in 1811, and came to this county early in life, marrying Miss Sarah WEAVER, near Bloomington. He was a member of the 39th IL. Vol. Inf. He leaves six children, three girls and three boys.

Mrs. Stephen NEAL 

April 2, 1880
Clinton Public

Midland City.

Died, on Saturday, the 27th ult., Rachel NEAL, wife of Stephen NEAL.  She died very suddenly.  On Saturday morning she got up in her usual health, got breakfast for the family and [had] done her house work.  She complained of not feeling well, when she laid down on the bed and soon expired.  The supposition is that a cancer on her breast had eaten into some vital parts.  The deceased leaves a family and a large circle of friends to mourn her departure.

Frank NEBEL 

July 19, 1901
Clinton Register

Frank NEBEL, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. L. NEBEL, was born on a farm about four miles northeast of Clinton, Sept. 29, 1882, where he lived until his parents moved to Clinton last spring. He graduated from the Clinton high school a little over a month ago, and was a bright young man. He expected to enter college at Champaign next fall and study civil engineering.

Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. BOLTON, of Farmer City. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery.

(See complete news article)

Henry NEBEL 

May 7, 1909, Friday
Clinton Register


Henry NEBEL, brother [should be father] of H. L. NEBEL of Clinton, died Tuesday night at the home of his son, William, 3 miles northeast of Clinton, aged 90, of old age.  He was born in Germany in 1819, and came to Illinois when 35 years old.  He lived in Chicago until 1863 when he moved to this county which had since been his home.  Besides the two sons, he is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Silas MAY, near Clinton.  His wife died nearly thirty years ago.

Mrs. Henry NEBEL 

March 25, 1881, Friday
Clinton Public

Mrs. NEBEL, mother of Mr. Henry NEBEL, died on heart disease last Tuesday.

Merna NEBEL 

October 16, 1908
Clinton Register

Last Night While She Was Walking Along Street With Four Other Young Lady Companions.

How true are the words, "In the midst of life we are in death." Yesterday evening a home that was one of happiness was soon one of sorrow. Merna NEBEL, age 16, attended a social at the Baptist church. About 7:30 she with four other girls went north from the church one block to the corner of Madison and East Main streets. Just as they turned the corner Miss Nebel fell to the walk unconscious. Within ten minutes Dr. Campbell arrived, but he could do nothing. This morning he said that there was no doubt that the girl was dead soon after she fell, as he could detect no evidence of life when he arrived. She was removed to the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry NEBEL, on East Jefferson street.

Deceased was born in Harp township in March 1892, and was an unusually bright and jovial girl. She had always been in good health, which makes the sorrow much greater to the family. It is said that one of the girls with her last night says that a few weeks ago while they were together she fell, but was soon able to walk, and that she had thought too little of it to tell her parents. It is thought to have been an organic trouble of the heart.

About five years ago her brother, Frank, aged 16, lost his life at the Weldon Springs, and it was said he drowned. Today it is stated no water was found in his lungs, and that he was no doubt dead before he fell into the water, perhaps from a cause similar to that which caused the death of his sister.

Besides parents, she is survived by a sister, Dora, who is teaching near El Paso, and two brothers, Clarence, aged 14, and Merle, aged 16, who is a twin of deceased.


October 18, 1908
Sunday Review
Decatur, Illinois


School boy companions of Miss Merna NEBEL will bear the pall when the funeral is held at 10 o'clock Monday morning from the home of the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry NEBEL, on East Jefferson street. Rev. W. H. Fulton of the Presbyterian church will perform the rites. The pall bearers are John Kurt, Walter Hickman, Oscar Meadows, Oscar Allen, Lyle McKinney, and Claude Thorpe. Interment will be in Woodlawn cemetery.

Submitted by Sheryl Byrd

Joseph NELSON 

February 7, 1890
Clinton Public

One of the oldest—if not the oldest—citizens of this county died at his home in Long Point on last Tuesday. Joseph NELSON would have been ninety years old if he had lived till next May. He came to this county in the year 1829 and located on the farm in Long Point on which he lived for over sixty years. His wife died twenty-three years ago and since that time his children kept house for him. He was the father of eleven children, nine of whom are still living. A more extended notice of this aged pioneer will be given in next week's PUBLIC.


February 14, 1890
Clinton Public


Joseph Nelson Was the Oldest Citizen of this County.
Sixty Years Ago He Settled at Long Point.

In last week's PUBLIC brief reference was made to the death of Joseph NELSON, which occurred at his home in Long Point on Monday, February 3d. Joseph Nelson was probably the oldest citizen of DeWitt county at the time of his death. He was born in Nelson county, Kentucky, on the 22d of May, 1800, and if he had lived till his next birthday he would have been ninety years old. About the year 1812 his father moved to Grayson county, Kentucky, where the family experienced many of the hardships of pioneer life connected with the opening up of a new farm on the rugged and sterile soil of that then heavily timbered country. During his earlier years he had but few educational advantages, for in Kentucky in those days schools were the exception and their methods of the most primitive nature. In his early years he never saw a geography or a history [book], but his quick perceptions and tenacious memory enabled him later in life to thoroughly improve his fugitive advantages. Perusing with eagerness and zeal whatever books came in his way his mind became a storehouse of knowledge.

In 1824 Joseph Nelson and John HANKS, who in after years became the close personal friend of Abraham LINCOLN, got out the material and built a flatboat, on which they made a trip to New Orleans. They had on board a cargo of cornmeal and bacon which they sold for $200 in the Crescent City, and after they had paid their steamboat fair back to Kentucky out of the sale of their cargo and their flatboat, each had something less than $100 on which to get married and set up housekeeping. On the 16th of June, 1825, Mr. Nelson was married to Miss Julia ANDERSON, and in November of the same year the young bride and her husband made the long and perilous overland trip from Kentucky to Sangamon county, Illinois, settling near what is now the city of Springfield. In those days the mercantile interests of Springfield consisted of one store kept in a log cabin. For neighbors Mr. Nelson and wife had Ellis WILCOX, John HANKS and Mr. Nelson's brother-in-law, Isaac ANDERSON, and their families. Ellis Wilcox died a few weeks ago at the advanced age of one hundred years; John Hanks died last summer, aged eighty-nine years; and Mr. Anderson died about eighteen months ago, aged eighty-nine years. The aggregate age of the four early and life-long friends numbered three hundred and sixty-eight years.

In the year 1829 Mr. Nelson moved from Sangamon county to near Decatur, where he lived one year, and in 1830 he came to Long Point and located the quarter section of land on which he spent sixty years of his life and ended his days. The land upon which he settled had formerly been an Indian camping ground, and the bark wigwams were still standing when he took possession. In those days the land cost but the entry fee. Last Saturday ten acres of that same timber land sold at public auction in this city for $67.50 an acre. About that time his sister Rebecca and her husband, William Anderson, and Margaret Nelson, a single sister, came from Kentucky and settled on the present site of the city of Clinton. It was these two women and their brother, John Nelson, who dug the first well in Clinton. Rebecca and her husband kept the first hotel in Clinton, and she is the only one of the family now living, her home being in Kent, Iowa.

Joseph Nelson had lived on the same farm for sixty years, and in that time had been a resident of three counties—Tazewell, McLean and DeWitt. Danville being the nearest land office he would pack his saddle-bags with rations for a round trip and without roads or compass strike across the country on horseback, and when night came he would hobble his horse and with his saddle-bags for a pillow commit his soul and body to the keeping of his Heavenly Father and sleep till morning. Many a time has he walked from Long Point to Bloomington to attend muster and return home the same day. The last time he visited Bloomington was to hear Governor Oglesby make a speech. He went up on the morning train and "Uncle Dick," getting through about three hours before train time, the old man concluded not to wait but started home afoot. This was after he had passed his seventieth year. He was never known to loaf around town after he got through with his business. On one occasion during the war he overstayed his usual time quite a while and his family became uneasy, but when he got home he accounted for his absence by telling that Grant had driven the rebels out of Richmond and that he had taken a hand in raising a pole in Wapella for the old flag to float from.

On the 30th of July, 1866, his wife died, and after that he seldom left home except to attend church. He joined the Presbyterian Church in Kentucky when a young man, and on coming to Illinois there being no church of that denomination where he lived, he united with the Methodist Church and remained a communicant during his life. He was not as strictly Methodistic in his views as some, for he believed that whatever the Creator willed would be carried out. During his life of nearly ninety years no one ever heard him use a profane word. He never used tobacco nor never crossed the threshold of a saloon. He never bet a cent, nor was he ever beat out of a cent by a confidence man or swindled by a lightning rod agent. He believed in education and free schools, and that all nations and kindreds of the earth were the children of one Creator and susceptible of improvement and progression.

He was the father of eleven children, three of whom preceded him to the life beyond. He lived to see his youngest child pass his fortieth milestone in the journey of life. For about fifteen years he had been afflicted with a complication of chronic diseases of the bowels and kidneys, but two years previous to his death his maladies left him and from that time on he ate and rested well. He never compromised with wrong, nor was he disputatious, yet when necessity required it he could make a statement of clean cut facts that was not difficult to understand. But few men surpassed him in a knowledge of the scriptures. He never went on the housetop to pray on the Sabbath and then come down and prey upon his neighbors during the other six days of the week. He believed that a man's daily life was the true index of his soul and that to be a good Sunday Christian a man should live up to the teachings of Christ during the week.

Parley Pratt NELSON 

March 6, 1941
Decatur Review
Decatur, Illinois

Pratt Nelson, 91, Maroa, Dies.

Pratt NELSON, 91, for three-quarters of a century engaged in farming and in livestock business in this community, dies in his home here early Saturday. The death was attributed to infirmities of age.

Born in Washington county IL., December 4, 1850, the youngest of 11 children he was the son of Thomas G. Nelson. The father bought 400 acres of DeWitt county land in Creek township, northeast of Maroa, in 1863 and brought his family here in 1864. Since that time the land has been known as the Nelson farm and one of Mr. Nelson's most prized possessions was a federal land patent original deed to the property, bearing the signature of President Franklin Pierce. Fond of horses and a good judge of them, Mr. Nelson served for many years as a buyer for a large city commission house and for many years he engaged in livestock buying. He rode a saddle horse until he was 88. He never learned to operate a car and shunned radio. He was an expert cook and made the kitchen art his hobby. Among other innovations, Mr. Nelson spurned the safety razor. He was an expert with a straight edge razor and for a brief term before his marriage practiced the barber's trade in Maroa. He returned to rural farming when he was married March 26,1873 to Susan M. CLOUD near Clinton. She died Jan. 20, 1936. Three of their four children died in infancy. The one living child is Mrs. Etta BALSLEY who in recent years has lived with her father.

The body is in the Capplinger funeral home, where services will be conducted at 2:00 p.m. Monday by Rev. O. H. Meyer. Burial will be in Maroa cemetery.

Note: Son of Thomas and Lucretia (MAUZY) Nelson.

Submitted by Mary Cookson. This was her great uncle.

Seward C. NELSON 

March 19, 1875
Clinton Public

When a good man dies the people mourn. The town of Wapella was called upon last Saturday to mourn the death of Seward C. NELSON, who had been a resident of that town and township for the past sixteen years. Seward was one of those genial, clever gentlemen who secured the respect and confidence of all with whom he associated, either in business or social circles. He was a man whose word was as good as his bond, and during his long residence in Wapella his neighbors had formed such a strong attachment for him, and had such confidence in his clear judgment, that he was made a prominent leader in nearly every enterprise that looked to the advancement of his town. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in this city in Co. C, Forty-first Illinois Infantry, and for three years faithfully served his adopted country in some of the most trying and arduous campaigns in the southwest. He was promoted to orderly sergeant because of his peculiar qualifications for the place. At the battle of Jackson, Miss., he led his company into the fight, being the highest ranking officer present. After passing through the storm of bullets during that long and persistent contest, and when the fight was about over and victory for the Union army was completed, he received a severe wound in the foot, which disabled him. For his courageous conduct on that day he was promoted [to] First Lieutenant. At the close of his three years enlistment, and when he was about to re-enlist for the war, Lieut. Nelson was seized with that terrible disease camp diarrhea. This so reduced him in health that he was unfitted for further active service, and consequently he resigned and came home. From that disease he never recovered, and from the time of his retiring from the army till his death he was almost constantly under medical treatment. Men may say that the war is over and that the past should be forgotten, but think you that poor emaciated Seward C. Nelson could ever forget the cause that was slowly but surely dragging him down to his grave. After his return from the army he engaged in business in Wapella, and by strict integrity built up a reputation and trade that was profitable. During the greater part of the last eight years he was postmaster in that town, the duties of which office he conducted with that methodical care which guided him in every duty in life. Nine years ago he was married to Miss Rachel WOY. He leaves a wife and two children to mourn their loss. The funeral services were held on last Monday, and were conducted by the Masonic and Oddfellows lodges, in both of which he held membership. Peace to his ashes.


Tuesday, January 21, 1936
Decatur Review
Decatur, Illinois

Mrs. Susie NELSON, 81, formerly of Decatur IL., died suddenly at 1:00 p.m. Monday in her home near Maroa. Mrs. Nelson was the wife of Pratt NELSON and lived most of her life in DeWitt county IL., six miles northeast of Maroa. She leaves besides her aged husband a daughter, Mrs. Etta BALSLEY, at home. Funeral services will be at the Presbyterian Church in Maroa.

Note: Daughter of Daniel and Myra (MAYALL) CLOUD of DeWitt County IL.

Submitted by Mary Cookson. This was her great aunt.


October 5, 1883
Clinton Public

Amos NESBITT died at his home in Tunbridge township on the 3d inst., and on the following day was laid to rest in the cemetery at Texas. He was 33 years old and had been sick but a short time. He leaves a wife and one child, a mother, one brother, and two sisters to mourn his death.


January 25, 1895
Clinton Public

Before daybreak last Sunday morning a heavily loaded freight train left Clinton for Midway with Grant COURTNEY, engineer; Philip NEUHAUSEN, fireman; and Conductor WELLS, in charge. The train pulled into Bloomington about four o'clock and stopped at the tank to take water. Neuhausen was standing on the tender waiting to reach the pipe when the slack between the cars was taken up by those in the rear running forward, and they came together with such a crash as to throw Neuhausen off his balance and down to the icy ground, the poor fellow went head foremost. The crew heard the shriek of despair as he was doing down, and they ran to his assistance, but by the time they reached him he was unconscious and he never spoke again. His skull was fractured by coming in contact with the ice. The patrol wagon was called and Neuhausen was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he lingered five hours totally unconscious, dying at nine o'clock in the morning. His remains were brought to Clinton by special train on Sunday afternoon, and on Tuesday afternoon were buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. The funeral was in charge of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, of which organization he was a member, and the services were conducted by the Rev. W. J. TULL, who had united Neuhausen and his young wife in marriage only a few months ago.

Philip Neuhausen was born in Amboy, and if he had lived till the fourth of February he would have been twenty-four years old. He was in the class of junior firemen on the Central road, and came to Clinton when Amboy was abandoned as a terminal point. Four months ago he was united in marriage to Myrtle, daughter of Shirley THOMAS. They had recently begun housekeeping in Calvin TALBOT's new house, out near the machine shops. Philip Neuhausen was a young man of good habits and was rapidly working his way up for promotion to an engine. When a trainman bids his wife and family good-by as he starts out on his run he knows not that they will ever meet him again in life. There is no more dangerous calling than the life of a railroad trainman.


May 1, 1898
Paper Unknown

Adaline NEWBERRY died at her home in Farmer City, on Sunday, May 1, 1898, at 1:30 p.m., aged 69 years, 4 months, 2 days. Funeral: M.E. Church, May 3rd. Burial: Camp Ground Cemetery.

Submitted by Unknown


Paper Unknown


Allen NEWBERRY, a prosperous and well known farmer from Silver Creek township, dropped dead by his wagon on Main street about 11:30 a.m. Thursday [April 30, 1908].

Accompanied by his seventeen year old son, he had brought in a fine hog to ship by express to his son-in-law in western Kansas and drove to the Wells Fargo express office to unload. While chatting with Agent C. V. Bender he started to remove the tail gate of the wagon but before he got the rod out, he fell slowly over backward without a sound and was dead when picked up by the men who saw him fall, almost as soon as he touched the ground. The body was taken to the City hotel; Drs. Updergraff and Ressler responded to urgent calls and both pronounced him dead, there being no response to the usual tests that indicate life in any degree.

John Cook, John Bannon, and Abe Jordan helped Undertaker L. N. Shultz remove the body to Blake Bros'. undertaking rooms where late in the day the body was embalmed in accordance with instructions from Mrs. NEWBERRY. The body was taken to his home Thursday night and the funeral will be decided on when his relatives can be heard from. The physicians announced the death was from natural causes, apoplexy, so there was no need of a coroner's jury.

Mr. Newberry was fifty-seven years old and leaves a wife and five or six fine boys and girls. He was a hard working, honest and honorable citizen who had achieved a comfortable fortune farming in Harper county and who had earned with it the respect and confidence of all who knew him. The crushing blow of the sudden death stunned his son who was with him and his family who can hardly realized the great bereavement so suddenly come upon them.

(See probate record)

Submitted by Trish Couture

Donald Vernell NEWBERRY 

Paper Unknown

FARMER CITY—Donald Vernell NEWBERRY, 62, died at 2:58 p.m. Monday at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Bloomington. His funeral will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Stensel Funeral Home, with the Rev. Arthur HOWARD officiating. Burial will be in Maple Grove Cemetery. Visitation will be from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home. He was born in Benton City, Mo., Jan. 6, 1909, a son of Jesse C. and Inez (VAN NOTE) NEWBERRY. Surviving are his father, Farmer City; a daughter, Mrs. Gladys McCLURE, Indianapolis, Ind.; two sisters, Mrs. Nadine BLUE, Havana; Mrs. Velma HEAPE, Farmer City; two brothers, Delmar NEWBERRY, Brookfield; Dale NEWBERRY, Marquette Heights. He was a member of the Christian Church and had lived all his life in the Farmer City area.

Submitted by Mary (Meliza) Berg


January 4, 1944
Paper Unknown


Funeral services for Guy NEWBERRY, a well known citizen who had resided in this section for over 57 years, were held Tuesday afternoon at the Methodist church in Argonia with Rev. C. J. Kirk in charge of the services. Mr. Newberry passed away at his home in Argonia Sunday evening and his death came as a shock to his friends and relatives. While he had not been well for a few weeks his condition was not considered serious. He was a life long resident of this vicinity, being born on a farm southeast of Freeport on Feb. 8, 1886. He was married to Miss Ellen Pearl DRAPER at Anthony on March 22, 1919, and to them were born two daughters, Hazel and Dolly, and one son, Ben Allen. They lived on the farm near Freeport, which was homesteaded by his parents until a few years ago when they moved to Argonia. Besides his wife and children he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Jess BOXLEY of Kaw City, Okla., and Mrs. W. E. HANKINS of Conway Springs, and one brother, George NEWBERRY, of Inglis, Kans.

Note: Son of Norman Allen and Sarah (Thomas) Newberry.

Submitted by Trish Couture

Mrs. Martin NEWBERRY 

Published on page 2 of The Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL) on Sunday 06 September 1931

Mrs. Martin Newberry.
Pantagraph Central Illinois Service.
CLINTON. — Mrs. Martin Newberry, West North street, died at her home at 2 a. m. Saturday of heart disease. She had been ill one year. Margaret Ann Evans, daughter of Eli and Eliza Jane Evans, was born in Maroa June 6, 1866, and was married to Martin Newberry, June 30, 1885. The family had lived in Clinton two years.
She leaves her husband and the children: Anna Mae Hitchcock, Clinton; Fred and Leamon Newberry, Capella; Ada Balding, Decatur; Maude Davis, Allenville; Bertha Benfro, Decatur; Grace Crawley, Clinton; and Dewey, Otis, and Mrs. Edna Allen at home. Two children are dead.
She also leaves the following brothers and sisters: John E., Charles and Herman Evans and Mrs. Belle Moody, Clinton, and Mrs. Alice Morrow, Decatur.

Submitted by Kathy Ikeda


Paper Unknown

Funeral services for Mrs. Sarah NEWBERRY who passed away Christmas day were held in Argonia last Sunday. Mrs. Newberry was 81 years old at her death and had resided in this vicinity since 1878. She moved from her farm east of Freeport about 5 years ago to Argonia where she and her daughter, Bell, made their home. Her husband and six children preceded her in death. Surviving her are two daughters, Mrs. Nellie BOXLEY of Kaw City, Okla., Mrs. Belle HANKINS of Argonia, three sons, Guy of Freeport, George and Fred of Ingalls, and fifty-six grandchildren and fifty-seven great-grandchildren.

(See probate record)

Submitted by Trish Couture


July 7, 1905
Paper Unknown


William died suddenly at 1 o'clock Wednesday afternoon at his home, four and a half miles southwest of the city, aged 81 years, 3 months, but the end came unexpectedly through heart failure.

Mr. Newberry was twice married, six children resulting from the first union and 12 from the second. Of these all survive except two of the first marriage, together with the second wife, several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. For the past four years he had not been able to go far from home on account of infirmities of age.

The funeral will be conducted in the M. P. church at 2 o'clock this afternoon by Rev. C. W. Conover and burial will be in Maple Grove.

Submitted by Trish Couture


April 24, 1914
Clinton Register

Roy Newcomb Called to His Eternal Rest After Two Weeks Illness.
Internment at Saybrook.

The NEWCOMB family is in deep mourning over the passing of their youngest son, Roy, who expired at his home at the Magill House last night at 9:20 after an illness of two weeks. The immediate cause of death was diphtheria, which developed only a few days ago, following a previous ten days illness of tonsillitis. It is stated that he contracted the latter disease while on a fishing trip with his brother Charles. Roy became weary while at the creek and lay down on the damp ground, thus contracting a severe cold. Roy NEWCOMB was born at James Fort, Mo., May 29, 1901, and lacked a little more than a month of being 14 years of age. He was the smallest boy ever born in that county and for several days following his birth was kept in an oven. At the age of three days he weighed less than three pounds. He shortly developed into a strong hearty boy, and until his fatal sickness had always enjoyed the best of health.

Shortly after his birth his parents moved to Saybrook, Ill. And four years ago came to Clinton, where they have since resided. Deceased leaves besides his parents a brother Charles, his daily companion since early childhood, and two half brothers, Guy of Chicago and Earl of Rock Falls, Ill. He was a pupil in the seventh grade of the Lincoln school and an apt student. Was a faithful attendant of the Christian church Sunday school, and was taking lessons in music from Miss Renah MILES who speaks of him as one of her best and most attentive pupils. With his playmates he was a general favorite and no boy in Clinton could be more sadly missed among his companions.

Shortly before he passed away he called to his mother and asked if he could live until morning, and when told he could not, appeared to be glad, and said that he was so sick that he wanted to go now. Five minutes preceding his passing away his father told him his brother would be there in one hour but he said that he could not wait, and called for his brother Charles, saying "I love Charles," immediately expired. Remains were taken to Saybrook today where funeral services were held and interment made. The family has the sympathy of all in the loss of their noble boy.

Mrs. Allie J. NEWELL

November 7, 1913
Clinton Register

Young Wife and Mother, Formerly of Clinton, Died in Oklahoma City After Short Illness.

Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, at her home in Oklahoma City, occurred the death of Bernice (CHICK) NEWELL, after a short illness of pneumonia.

Monday morning, S. E. NEWELL, father of the husband of deceased, received a message from his son, Allie NEWELL, stating that his wife was seriously ill and not expected to live.  Shortly afterward he received a letter which stated that a daughter was born, probably on Friday, the day the letter was written, and that the mother was ill with pneumonia.  The telegram announcing the death came at 2 o'clock Monday afternoon.

Bernice Chick was born in LeRoy, Ill., April 1, 1883, being the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. Z. CHICK.  When but an infant, the parents moved to Farmer City, where decedent spent the most of her life, or until the family moved to Clinton in May 1905.

Decedent was married to Allie J. Newell about seven years ago, moving with her husband to Oklahoma in 1907, where they had since resided.  She was a member of the Presbyterian church in this city and was a very popular young lady and a member of several clubs in the city.

Deceased leaves surviving, besides the husband, four daughters, the youngest but four days old at the time of the death of the mother, also her father and mother, T. Z. Chick and wife of Oklahoma City, and a brother, Edwin CHICK, of Colorado, and sister, Aileen CHICK, of Springfield, Mo.  Remains were brought to Clinton for interment, arriving yesterday.

The remains arrived here Thursday afternoon, accompanied by relatives of the deceased.  They were taken to the home of Mr. and Mrs. S. E. Newell, and funeral services were held this afternoon from the Presbyterian church at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. E. K. Towle, pastor of the M. E. church, officiating.  Interment was in Woodlawn cemetery.

George S. NEWMAN 

June 17, 1881
Clinton Register

Fatal Accident.

A most painful accident occurred at Wapella last Saturday morning which resulted in the death of one of DeWitt county's best men, Mr. George S. NEWMAN. While Mr. Newman was hauling shelled corn to market, and was unloading it into a car near Mr. Butterworth's grain house, his horses became frightened and ran away, throwing Mr. Newman—who was in the act of stepping out of the wagon, and had one foot placed in the fore part of the wagon and the other resting on the double-tree-down under the wagon, the wheels passing over him from his chest to his hips, breaking several ribs and injuring him so severely internally that he died about one o'clock in the afternoon, at the residence of Dr. DAVIS, in Wapella, where he had been taken. His son, Allie, who is clerking in Freudenstein's clothing store in this city, was immediately telegraphed for, and arrived in time to witness his death. Mr. Newman was one of the best and kindest of farmers in Wilson township and his death will be greatly mourned. He was buried in Woodlawn cemetery on last Sunday afternoon, a large crowd of relatives and friends following him to his last resting place.

Erastus NICE 

August 24, 1906
Clinton Register


Monday, soon after 1 o'clock, Erastus NICE died at his home in Kenney, aged 75. He was born near LaFayette, Ind., Aug. 10, 1831. He came to Illinois when a young man, locating in Macon county. About twenty-five years ago he came to DeWitt county, and lived on a farm near Kenney until 16 years ago when he moved to that town where he had since lived. He was married three times and is survived by his wife and these children: William, Mrs. NORTHCUTT and Mrs. M. STEVENSON, of Nebraska; S. NICE, of Danville; Mrs. SHERIDAN, of Chestnut; H. D. on the home farm, and Thomas, of Springfield. Funeral was held at the Ridge church west of Maroa yesterday at 10 o'clock conducted by Rev. RING, of Lincoln, Neb., and Rev. LUNDRICK. Burial in Ridge cemetery.


October 29, 1863
DeWitt County Public & Central Transcript


The remains of Thomas NICHOLSON, a member of company B, 107th Ill. regiment, were buried with Masonic and military honors on Wednesday.  He died in hospital at Glasgow, Ky., and was about 34 years of age.

Note: He was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.


January 31, 1908
Clinton Register


Mrs. Sarah NICKELSON died Sunday morning at her home in the northeast part of the city, aged about 40 years, of consumption. She is survived by her husband, Theodore Nickelson and two children, her father, a sister and three brothers. Funeral services were held at the home conducted by Rev. S.L. BOYERS. Burial in Woodlawn.


February 14, 1890
Clinton Public

In the Wapella correspondence in last week's PUBLIC was briefly stated the death of two young people. John NILAN was a farm hand working for Mr. W. B. RUSSUM, and by industry and frugality he had saved enough from his earnings to justify him in taking a wife and renting a farm on which to begin matrimonial life. He was engaged to a young lady named Miss DALEY, and the wedding day was set for last Wednesday. On Monday night of last week Mr. Nilan died of la grippe, and a few hours before his death a sister of his intended bride died of the same disease. Both funerals occurred at the same hour in the Catholic Church in Wapella, and the prospective bride mourned the death of her affianced husband and her sister.

Mrs. Mary NILAN 

January 3, 1908
Clinton Register


Mrs. Mary NILAN died this morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. U.G. MILLER, in Harp township. She was been a patient sufferer for over a year, and gladly welcomed the transition to a better land. She came to Ohio from Ireland when 17 years of age, living there until about 14 years ago since which time she has made her home with her daughters in Harp township. She was a life-long member of the Catholic church. She is survived by one sister, Mrs. Anna WELCH of Cincinnati, Ohio, and five children, James Nilan of Clarksville, Ohio, Mrs. Kate FINLEY of Cincinnati, Ohio, William NILAN of Dayton, Ohio, Mrs. U.G MILLER and Mrs. P.D. WILLIAMS of Harp township. Funeral services will be held tomorrow at 10:30 at St. John's church father MONAHAN of Wapella officiating in the absence of Father CUMMINS. High mass will be celebrated. The remains, accompanied by P.D. WILLIAMS and wife and U.G. MILLER, will leave on the Daylight Special tomorrow for Morrow, Ohio, and be laid to rest beside her husband who died in 1883.

Floyd E. NIXON 

July 15, 1887
Clinton Public

Died—Near Eagle, Neb., June 25, 1887, little Floyd Erie, the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence NIXON, formerly of DeWitt county.  Sweet little Floyd died of congestion of the brain.  He was sick only five days, and at the time of his death was one year, nine months and eight days old.  He will be sadly missed by his parents, for he was a bright little jewel just beginning to talk, and was loved by all who knew him.  The last word the little angel said was, "papa."  The writer will just say that there was nothing left undone by his parents, friends and physician, for God was ready to call the little one home, and we know he is on yon blessed shore where meeting and parting is no more.  In his last moments he looked up so sweet and reached out his little hands as much as to say, I am ready.  Then the door of heaven, which had been ajar all day, opened, and he fell asleep in the arms of Jesus without a struggle.  Mr. and Mrs. Nixon have the sympathy of the surrounding community.   Although the Nixons are here in Nebraska, among strangers, they have many friends and are loved by all who know them.  A large number attended the funeral, among whom were Colonel KELLY and Mr. and Mrs. Henry MYERS, of Lincoln.

George NIXON 

August 1, 1879
Clinton Public

Died at his residence in DeWitt township, DeWitt county, Ill., July 25th, 1879, George NIXON, aged 52 years, 11 months, and 22 days, after a long and painful illness.   Mr. Nixon was born in Crawford county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood; and like other enterprising young men concluded to seek his fortune in the then far west, and by industry and economy his hopes were fully realized before his death.  He came to DeWitt county about thirty years ago, and for a short time worked at the carpenter trade and invested the proceeds of his labor in land.  He married a sister of the Hon. Jacob SWIGART and lived upon the farm and engaged in tilling the soil and trading in stock until the failing health of his wife admonished him that farm life was too laborious for her.  He then moved to Clinton, where he engaged in the grocery business a few years.  When his wife died, he moved back to the farm.  Two years afterward he married the widow of Sheriff D. POOL, who survives him to mourn her loss.  Mr. Nixon was an active, enterprising and energetic man, possessing more than ordinary business qualifications; generous, free-hearted, always ready and willing to assist the poor and needy.  During the bustle and rush of business he never forgot the M. E. Church of which he was a consistent member and a pillar financially for twenty- three years, contributing liberally toward the erection of church edifices and the support of the Gospel.  For months before his death he realized the fact that he was rapidly and surely approaching "that bourne from whence no traveler returns," but was never heard to murmur or complain, often expressing a readiness to obey the summons of Him whom he had trusted many years.

Mrs. George NIXON 

March 18, 1887
Clinton Public

Death of Mrs. Lavina J. Nixon.

It was with surprise and sorrow that Clinton, on last Saturday morning, heard of the sudden death of Mrs. NIXON.  She had been sick only a few days; and even then not indisposed sufficiently to cause alarm or make it necessary to notify her relatives.  Mrs. Nixon came home from DeWitt on Tuesday evening of last week, where she had been attending on her sister, Mrs. Dr. TYLER, who had been sick.  She complained then of not feeling well, but hoped that a few days rest would restore her to her usual health.  On Friday her symptoms became alarming, and Dr. Dora TYLER, her niece, was summoned from DeWitt to attend her.  During the night she became worse and Dr. GOODBRAKE was called in.  He saw at a glance that there was danger and he told Dr. Dora Tyler his fears.  Mrs. Nixon had always expressed a desire to know when the death summons came that she might intelligently be prepared for the change.  When Dr. Dora Tyler imparted to her the sad verdict of herself and Dr. Goodbrake, Mrs. Nixon bade good-bye to her relatives and friends who were present and left messages of love for the absent ones.  At half-past seven o'clock on Saturday morning her soul passed from earth to heaven—a change for which a useful Christian life had for years prepared her.  Till the last hour she remained perfectly conscious.  Death had no terrors for her.  What a happy condition.

A few words of her life history. Lavina J. CAIN was born in Perry county, Ohio, on the 26th of March, 1842. While yet a child her parents came to Illinois and settled in this county. On the 1st of January, 1859, she was united in marriage to Decatur POOL, who was then sheriff of this county. Her married life was brief, for Mr. Pool lived only twenty months. On the 25th of December, 1870, she was again united in marriage, her second husband being Mr. George NIXON, one of the prominent and wealthy farmers of this county. To Mr. Nixon's motherless children she became a mother, and the love and affection they bore her was evidenced as they stood around her lifeless body last Saturday morning.

Mrs. Nixon was an earnest Christian woman, and her life was devoted to the good of others. She became a member of the M. E. Church in her girlhood days, and her life was the best indication of the value of religion. She was a woman of positive character, and her influence was felt in the home, in her neighborhood, and in the church. Had she lived till the 26th of this month, Mrs. Nixon would have been forty- five years old. The funeral services were held in the M. E. Church last Monday morning, when a large audience was present. Weeping friends and neighbors followed her to her final resting-place in Woodlawn Cemetery.

(See newspaper article)


July 17, 1914
Clinton Register

A General Favorite With All is Called to her Eternal Home Monday Morning.

Just at the period when life seems brightest, in the first bloom of young womanhood, with apparently everything to make her life a happy one, Helen NIXON died at the home of her parents, Ira NIXON and wife, in the north part of the city at 12:30 Monday morning after three weeks illness of pneumonia. She had been in delicate health for some time, but nothing serious was anticipated until attacked by her last and fatal illness. Death was known to be hovering near her for several days, although the day preceding the final call she appeared to be stronger and more cheerful than at any time since the disease had assumed its dangerous form.

Helen Marjorie WRIGHT was born in Clinton November 27, 1894, and at the time of her death was aged 19 years, 7 months, 6 days. At the age of three years she was taken by Mr. and Mrs. Nixon, the latter being a second cousin, the family then living at Weldon. Later she was adopted by them and since had only been known by the name of her foster parents. She was brought up as an own daughter, her education having been given her at the Notre Dame Convent at Bourbonnais near Kankakee, where she graduated with honors a year ago, winning a medal for her efficiency in music and French. She had returned from the above institution, where she had taken a postgraduate course, when attacked by lung trouble which ended in death. When but ten years of age she united with the M. E. church at Weldon, transferring her membership to the same church here when the family came to Clinton. She had remained faithful to the end, being an active worker in the Sunday school and all the auxiliaries of the church, and was a general favorite with both old and young. A born musician, she was an enthusiast of that study, and her parents had planned to send her to Vassar the coming fall where she was to have completed her education. At the time of her death Miss Nixon was a member of the Epworth league, Sunday school, Queen Esther Circle, both senior and junior, being president of the latter.

She was the only young lady member of the local W. C. T. U., being secretary of that organization at the time of her death.

Her father is still living, her mother, the late Mrs. Hattie FULLER, having died several years ago. Besides the above, she leaves a half-brother, Samuel FULLER, now living near Los Angeles, California.

Funeral services were held from the late home on North Monroe street at four o'clock Tuesday afternoon in charge of Rev. C. A. Myman of Lombard, Ill. Interment in Woodlawn.

The pall bearers were six young men of about the same age and intimate friends of the deceased. They were Lloyd TRUMMELL, Leland LAWRENCE, Emmett KENT, Claire GRAY, Stevie STARR, and a childhood playmate formerly of Weldon, Orville JOHNSON.


July 7, 1864
Clinton Public

John NIXON died at his residence, two miles north of Marion, DeWitt county, Ill., June 23d, 1864, in the 68th year of his age. He was a native of Virginia; when quite young his parents emigrated to Ohio and settled in Ross county, where the subject of this obituary grew to manhood, and married the widow RAGAN, at which place he resided until blessed with a family of five active boys and one lovely daughter; all of whom, together with the bereaved widow, are now living to mourn his loss. He moved from Ohio to this State, and has been a citizen of DeWitt county for the last 18 years. He was universally respected by all with whom he associated, for his honesty and industry. He was fearless in the expression of opinion, and often expressed a desire to live till the rebellion was put down and peace restored to our country. But he is gone where no wars exist to disturb that fair clime. He will be greatly missed in this community.

Lloyd NIXON 

January 27, 1899
Clinton Public

Lloyd NIXON, aged 19 years, died at his home in Weldon last Tuesday, after being sick with the grippe since last Friday. Deceased was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Ira NIXON. Remains were brought to Clinton for interment in Woodlawn cemetery. Funeral was held in Weldon on Thursday morning. He was a grandson of Lewis CAMPBELL, of this city. Deceased was an only child and greatly beloved, not only by his bereaved parents, but his grandparents are also bowed down in sorrow, he being a favorite in the family.


January 27, 1899
Clinton Public

Suffered Great Pain.

Lloyd NIXON was taken sick on Friday evening, at his home in Weldon, with a chill, symptoms of grippe. When going home from school, he, and a few companions, had a game of shinny, taking off their coats, and it is supposed that he caught cold. Inviting an attack of the grippe. On Saturday, Sunday and Monday he was insensible, the pain being great in his head and limbs. On Tuesday, he seemed better, and prepared to take a nap. From that sleep, he never awoke. He was aged 17 years, 11 months and 5 days.

Thomas NIXON 

November 4, 1904
Clinton Register

One of the Oldest and Best-Known Residents of DeWitt Township Dies After a Short Illness.

Saturday morning Thomas NIXON, one of the pioneers of the east part of the county, died at the home of his son-in-law, J. O. CARDIFF, west of DeWitt, aged 72.

Deceased was born in Ohio in 1832, and his father, John NIXON, moved to Illinois in 1845, locating near Weldon.  The township in which Weldon is was given the name of Nixon in honor of this family.  He afterward sold this farm and bought one near DeWitt.  He was married when 21 years old, and his wife died about two [ten] years ago.  He is mourned by two sons and three daughters.  They are Clarence, of Iowa; George, of Chester, Ill.; Mrs. Oliver CARDIFF, Mrs. Lawrence HARROLD and Mrs. John SMALLEY, all of this county; also by one brother, Morris, of Springfield, Ill.  His brother, William, died two years ago.

Funeral services were held Monday at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Robinson.  Burial in DeWitt cemetery.

Mrs. Thomas NIXON 

May 4, 1894
Clinton Public

Mrs. Thomas NIXON died at her home in the village of DeWitt, on last Sunday, and on Tuesday her remains were laid to rest in the DeWitt Cemetery. She was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, September 27, 1831, and had lived nearly sixty-three years. She came to Illinois in 1854, and the year following was united in marriage to Thomas Nixon. Her husband, two sons and three daughters survive her. Thirty-five years ago she united with the Protestant Methodist Church in DeWitt, and her life was consistent to her profession of religion. For several years she had poor health, but for the last three years she was almost a constant sufferer.

William NIXON 

April 10, 1903
Clinton Register


Wm. NIXON died at the home of his son, N. NIXON, in Girard, Kan., of paralysis, aged nearly 83 years.  He was born in Madison county, Ill., and lived in this county about 40 years previous to two years ago, and since his wife died he had lived with his children.  He was married to Miss Margaret JOHNSTON in '48.  Six children survive him.  They are James, of Ohio; Nathan and Mrs. CAPRON, of Kansas; Mrs. Sarah ENOS, of Texas; C. J. and Mrs. GOBLE, of DeWitt.  Burial was in Woodlawn cemetery at Clinton Sunday, where Mrs. Nixon was buried.

Note: William was born in Ross County, Ohio, not Madison, Illinois.  His family didn't come to Illinois until 1845.

Mrs. William NIXON 

January 11, 1901
Clinton Register

Mrs. Margaret NIXON, wife of Wm. NIXON, died at her home in DeWitt Friday, aged 76, being confined to her bed about six months. She was married to Wm. Nixon in 1845, and was the mother of eleven children, five of whom died while young. Those living are Mrs. CAPRON and Mrs. GOBLE, of DeWitt; and Mrs. ENOS, of Texas; James, of Ohio; N. C. and N. A., of DeWitt. Funeral services were held at the residence Sunday at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. HARRY. The burial was in Woodlawn cemetery.

Mrs. Julius NORFORTH 

February 7, 1896
Clinton Public

Mrs. Julius Norforth Expires After Months of Suffering.

On Monday, February 3d, Dr. J. C. MYERS, assisted by Drs. WILCOX, CANTRELL and CAMPBELL, performed a surgical operation for Mrs. Julius NORFORTH, removing a carcinoma, or cancerous tumor, the most dangerous of all tumors. From a medical point of view the operation was successful, the work being done quickly and satisfactorily, but the patient never rallied and thirty minutes after the operation was performed she died. Death was no doubt a relief as the patient had been suffering, slowly bleeding to death for weeks, and she could have lived but a short time at best. Two weeks ago, Drs. Myers and Wilcox held a consultation and decided that nothing but a surgical operation could prolong Mrs. Norforth’s life, although both were of the opinion that she would never live through the ordeal, yet knew that was the only means of giving her relief. Mr. NORFORTH has the sympathy of all in his bereavement. The remains of the deceased will be taken to Indianapolis, her former home, for burial.

Dr. Amos L. NORRIS 

December 17, 1909
Clinton Register

Dr. Amos L. NORRIS, of Farmer City, died at 6 o'clock Thursday morning. Surviving him are his wife and two children, Mrs. L. G. HERRICK and Carter NORRIS, and two sisters, Mrs. Ira STALEY, of Chicago, and Mrs. Ida M. MITCHELL, of Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Norris has been a practicing physician in Farmer City. He came to Farmer City when 9 years of age, with his parents, and after graduating at Rush practiced medicine at DeWitt for a number of years. He then joined his father, Dr. A. F. NORRIS, in Farmer City, and they practiced together until the death of the father. Since then he has carried on the practice himself until 1901, when he retired. He was born in Orange, Ohio, in March 1847. He was a member of the Masonic lodge, the Modern Woodmen and Court of Honor. He was also a member of the First Methodist church. He and Mrs. Norris were married in Ashland, Ohio, in 1876. The funeral will be held from the First Methodist church Saturday afternoon at two o'clock.

William NORRIS 

December 3, 1886
Clinton Public

Found Dead in the Weeds.

William NORRIS, aged twenty-five years, who had been working as a farm hand in Wilson township for the past two years, was found dead in Mr. Charles CAIN's timber on Monday evening. Norris had been engaged in chopping wood for Mr. Cain, and at dinner time that day he was apparently as well as ever. Toward evening someone was passing the place where Norris had been at work and found him laying beside the log he was chopping. Thinking that he was sick, the man went to his help, when he discovered that he was dead. By his side was the axe he had been using, which dropped from his grasp as he fell from the log. Coroner MORROW was summoned by telegraph to go out and hold an inquest, but as he did not receive the telegram for nearly two hours after it came to Clinton, it was then too late for him to make such a long trip that night. The next morning he went out to Mr. Cain's but was too late, for James WALDEN, justice of the peace, had impaneled a jury and had held the inquest. The verdict was that Norris had died from heart disease. Norris came from St. Louis about two years ago. He was an industrious young fellow and his services were always in demand.

Edwin M. NORTH 

May 28, 1868
Clinton Public

Distressing Accident.

We are pained to chronicle the burning to death of Capt. Jas. M. NORTH's little son, Eddie, a child about 2 years old, on Monday last. His mother left him a few moments and ran across the street to her sister's to procure some article needed; during her momentary absence, it is supposed he opened the stove door with his apron, which took fire, and in an instant he was enveloped and so terribly burned that he died within two hours. Benjamin T. HILL discovered the little fellow's situation and ran to his rescue but did not succeed in extinguishing the flames. Mr. H., burned his hands in the attempt to save the child. Charlie HANGER then approached, and by means of a pail of water, succeeded in subduing the fire. His stockings, shoes and the hem of his dress were all the clothing that remained. The latter was picked up in the yard, whither he had gone. His legs from the garter up, body, arms and face were charred, and his hands were so nearly destroyed that the ends of two fingers were afterwards found upon the floor. The little sufferer cried but little, did not complain, and recognized and talked with his parents till within fifteen minutes of his death. The parents are, of course, nearly frantic, and their many friends deeply sympathize with them. Mr. and Mrs. North desire to return thanks for the kind sympathy extended to them, and for the assistance rendered to them by the neighbors who looked in as soon as the accident was known.

Capt. James M. NORTH 

November 18, 1898
Clinton Register

Capt. J. M. North found Dead in His Yard Yesterday Morning—
One of Clinton’s Best Citizens.

There was a general feeling of sorrow yesterday morning when it was reported Capt. J. M. NORTH had been found dead in his yard, near his house on S. Madison street.  Wednesday evening he went up town, and was seen on the street.  A. H. Scott saw him about 7:30 near the State bank; he was going toward home.  No one else seems to have seen him alive after that time.  There was no one at his home, except his wife and his mother.  The latter retired, but the former remained up waiting for her husband to come.  At 5 o'clock Wednesday morning she went to C. C. Cackley’s place of business and told him her husband had not been home the night before.$nbsp; In company with Jas. Lisenby he went to Mr. North’s home, and at 5:30 found his lifeless body in the grape arbor, lying face down.  There was no evidence to indicate he had not died instantly.  The grape arbor is fenced from the rest of the lot, and how he came to be in the enclosure will never be known.  He had been a sufferer from asthma for years and at times the disease affected him so that he was compelled to sit up most of the night.  He was also afflicted with rheumatism as severely.  He had been in his usual health for the past few days, and the only reasonable thought is that he had suddenly become worse with asthma and started to go home, but suffered so that he could not tell where he was going and wandered into the garden, where death came to him.  He and his wife were devotedly attached to each other and his sudden death prostrated her.  Perhaps no couple lived more contentedly.  Neither cared for the flutter of society and together enjoyed the comforts of a pleasant and happy home.

The coroner’s jury, consisting of Dr. Wilcox, Fred Ball, J. F. Lisenby, A. L. Lemen, H. T. Day and C. G. Glendenning, gave the following report: “The jury find that deceased came to his death by natural causes; no evidence of violence.  Being afflicted with asthma and heart disease, deceased came to his death by failure of heart action.”

James M. North was born in Pickaway county, O., Nov. 21, 1835, and was the eldest of a family of eight children, all of whom are living except one, who died when 2 years old.  Those living are Hiram B. NORTH, Mary A. HARROLD and Amelia F., wife of Alfred CAIN, of Missouri; Martha E., wife of Benjamin CALLISON, Louisa M., wife of William CALLISON, and John H. NORTH, of DeWitt township.  His parents, William H. and Nancy NORTH, moved to Illinois in 1853, settling on a farm in DeWitt township.  Dec. 29 of that year Miss North died.  Mr. North married Mrs. Elizabeth KIRKWOOD, of Ohio, six years later.  She survived her husband and for several years has lived with her son, James, in Clinton.

Deceased came to Clinton in 1857 and began clerking in the Magill store.  When war began he enlisted and was captain of Company E 20th Ill. Vol.  After his return he was married to Miss Sallie A. CUNDIFF in 1864.  One child was born to them, which was so severely burned that it died.  He again clerked in the Magill store, and then bought an interest in the business, but sold out and began the grocery business in Farmer City in 1868.  He returned to Clinton in 1876 and engaged in the dry goods business in partnership with Thos. Rose.  After two years he sold out on account of being afflicted with asthma, and went to California for his health.  He returned much benefited but never fully recovered from the disease.  Since that time he never engaged in business but had served one term as deputy circuit clerk, one term as deputy treasurer and came within one vote of being elected to the former office.  Last year he was appointed supervisor of Clintonia township to fill the vacancy caused by the removal of G. W. Scott.  He was one of the most careful of men and all his official acts were in strict conformity with the law.  He attended strictly to his own business and expected others to do no less.  Though an ardent Republican, he seldom discussed politics and had the respect and confidence of all whom he knew, and perhaps few men in the county had more acquaintances.

Funeral services will be held at the residence tomorrow at 2 o'clock, conducted by Dr. W. A. Hunter, assisted by Rev. J. B. Horney.  Remains can be viewed from 10:30 to 1 o'clock.  DeWitt Lodge No. 84, A. F. and A. M., will have charge of the remains and conduct services at the cemetery.

Mrs. James M. NORTH 

June 27, 1918
Clinton Daily Public

Well Known and Prominent Resident Passes Away After Long Illness.

Mrs. Sarah A. NORTH, one of the community’s most prominent and benevolent residents and for 67 years a resident of DeWitt county, passed away at her home, 312 East Washington street last night after an illness of six months duration.  Well known and active in church duties and prominent in civic circles during her many years of residence here, Mrs. North was recognized as a leading citizen.  She is said to have considerable holdings of farm and timber lands.  Her husband, the late Captain James NORTH, died here 20 years ago and her sister, Mrs. Alcinda CACKLEY, with whom she had made her home, passed away last May 15.

Mrs. North was a member of the Presbyterian church and a member of the McCorkle club.  She was 73 years of age at the time of her death.  The funeral will be held from the late home, 312 East Washington street Friday afternoon at 4 o'clock, Rev. Dr. Johnson of the Presbyterian church in charge of the services.  Male members of the McCorkle club will act as honorary pallbearers.  Interment will be made in Woodlawn cemetery.

Her only relatives are nephews and nieces as follows: William T. CACKLEY, of Clinton; Mrs. Mamie DRAKE, of Lexington, Ky.; Edward and Clifford SUNDIFF [CUNDIFF?], of Clinton; Vida and Mamie KIRK, of Kankakee, Ill.; Attorney Bond KIRK, of Champaign, Ill.; Don KIRK, of Chicago; J. KIRK, of Carlinville, Ill.; Mrs. Lou HILL, of Wichita, Kan.; Frank KINGORE, of Pontiac, Ill.; Fred KINGORE, of Chicago; Charles RANIER, Harry C. RANIER, James B. RANIER and Mrs. Annie STEEL, of Auburn, Ind.; and Mrs. Elmer OYLER, of Waterloo, Ind.

Thomas NORTH 

January 27, 1899
Clinton Public

A Soldier Dead.

C. S. LAFFERTY received a letter from his brother-in-law, M. B. NORTH, at Hastings, Neb., stating that Mr. North’s son, Thomas, had died at Manila, December 39th [sic], of smallpox. Deceased was a member of Co. G, 1st Regiment U. S. Vol. Infantry. He was aged 20 years and until six years ago lived in Harp township, this county.

Mrs. Thomas McCarty NORTH 

May 18, 1888
Clinton Public

Mrs. Jane NORTH, widow of Thomas MacCarty NORTH, died at her home in Rutledge township yesterday morning, aged seventy years. Some months ago she was stricken with paralysis, and for the past three months was perfectly helpless. She was an aunt of Captain J. M. NORTH, and mother of Wilson NORTH, of Fresno, California.

William H. NORTH 

May 6, 1887
Clinton Public

Death of William H. North.

Uncle Billy NORTH, as everyone familiarly called him, passed from this life last Tuesday afternoon, at about half-past one o'clock, being seventy-four years and eight months old the day he died. He was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, on the 3d of September, 1812, and lived on a farm till his twentieth year, when he took up the life of a schoolmaster. During the next forty-one years he taught for forty terms in the school room. When but twenty-three years old he was united in marriage to Nancy Ann MUNINGER, the ceremony being performed in Fairfield county, Ohio, on the 8th of January, 1835. As the result of this union eight children were born, seven of whom are still living—three boys and four girls.

While living in Ohio Mr. North served for eight years as a justice of the peace and eight years as town clerk, his main avocation, however, being a school teacher. On the 25th of September, 1853, Mr. North brought his family from Ohio to this county and he located in the village of DeWitt, where he lived for about two years, when he moved out on a farm he bought within one mile north of the public square of the village, and there the remainder of his life was spent. The first great sorrow that over-shadowed his life was the death of his wife, which occurred within three months after he arrived in DeWitt. Here he was a stranger with a family of children to provide for, some whom were so young as to need a mother's constant care. In 1859, after living a widower for nearly six years, he married Elizabeth KIRKWOOD, who survives him. The second Mrs. North was truly a mother to her husband's children, and the affection and kindness she bestowed upon them in their youth has been returned by a loving devotion such as children give their parents.

Mr. North began life in DeWitt as a teacher and he followed that occupation till his health failed him about twelve years ago. In the summer season he managed his farm and brought it from the raw prairie to a high state of cultivation. In his early life he united with the M. E. Church, and for more than a quarter of a century he was a licensed local preacher. He was as thoroughly in earnest in his religion as he was in his business, and wherever in his neighborhood he could find work in a revival meeting he was always to be found there. In politics he was a Democrat, and in 1861 he was elected by his party as county superintendent of public schools, which office he held for two years. During the war he was an earnest Union man and had no sympathy with the copperhead element of his party. He took great pride in one of his sons being in the Union arm. In 1870 he was the Democratic candidate for State senator in the district of which DeWitt county then formed a part, and owing to a mistake made in Moultrie county on the Republican ticket, Michael DONAHUE's name being spelled Patrick, he was declared elected. Mr. North refused to enter into a contest for the office because he would not profit by a mistake when the intent of the majority of the voters was to elect Mike Donahue. He was the soul of honor and would not take advantage of such a palpable error.

For the past twelve years Mr. North was a great sufferer from diabetes, and for three years before his death he lived in constant pain. During the camp meeting held in Clinton last summer Mr. North spent part of the week here, but his health was such that he had to forego much of the pleasure that such a revival would have given him a few years previous. The closing hours of his life were in great bodily pain, and it was a happy release when the Kind Father called him to that final rest where pain and sorrow ceases. All his children were at his home when he died, two of them Hiram and Mary Ann, coming from Missouri. Mr. North leaves an aged wife, seven children, and about thirty grand-children. He was buried yesterday afternoon in the DeWitt Cemetery, the funeral services being held in the M. E. Church in that village.


May 6, 1887
Clinton Register

Wm. H. NORTH, father of Captain NORTH of this city, died at his home near DeWitt Tuesday afternoon, aged 74 years and 8 months, of diabetes with which he had been afflicted for three years.  He was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1812, and moved to DeWitt township Sept. 25, 1853.  He was the father of eight children, five daughters and three sons, of whom seven are living, all of them being present at the time of his death, one of the daughters dying at the age of four years.  The sons are H. B. NORTH, Mandeville, Mo.; John H. NORTH, the youngest, and Capt. North, the eldest; the daughters are Mary A. HARROLD, Martha E. CALLISON, Louisa M. CALLISON and Amelia F. CAIN.  Thirty of his grandchildren are living.  His first wife and mother of all his children died Dec. 29, 1843 [1853], the maiden name was Nancy A. MUNINGER.  He was married to Elizabeth KIRKWOOD, his present wife, in 1859, in Ohio.  She was 73 years old last month.  The old gentleman had not been to this city since last fall his health gradually failing.  He taught forty terms of school in Ohio and Illinois in forty-one years, held various township offices in both these states, and was school superintendent of this county from 1861 to 1863.  He had been a member of the M. E. church since early life, and a member of this church at DeWitt ever since his arrival there.  The funeral was from the M. E. church of DeWitt yesterday afternoon at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. Pomfret.

Mrs. William H. NORTH 

February 23, 1906
Clinton Register

Aged Clinton Woman Passes Away This Afternoon—
Burial Will Be at DeWitt Monday.

Mrs. Elizabeth NORTH died at 4 o'clock this afternoon at her home on South Madison street, aged 93 years.  She was stricken with paralysis Wednesday morning and there had since been little hope of her recovery.

The maiden name of deceased was Elizabeth KIRKWOOD and she was born in Ohio, and there was married to Wm. H. NORTH, who died in DeWitt township, this county, May 1887.  Then she made her home with her son, James M. NORTH, in Clinton.  After his death she remained with Mrs. NORTH.  She was the mother of no children, but is survived by the following children of her husband by a former marriage: John H., Mrs. Ben CALLISON and Mrs. Wm. A. CALLISON, of DeWitt; Hiram, Mrs. Alfred CAIN and Mrs. Wm. HARROLD, all of Missouri.

Funeral services will be held Monday at DeWitt at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. N. M. Rigg, assisted by Rev. S. C. Black.

Isaac Swisher NOWLIN 

September 6, 1912
Clinton Register


Isaac NOWLIN, a respected resident of Wapella township and formerly a resident of this city died Wednesday morning at his home at 4 o'clock. Mr. Nowlin had been sick for about five years and his death was due to cancer of the stomach. The deceased was born near DeWitt, September 22, 1850, and followed the occupation of farming in the vicinity of DeWitt and Farmer City. He was united in marriage to Flora Elizabeth KIRBY in May, 1878, and he is survived by his wife and eight children: L. J., H. G., N. L., of Wapella; Ray, of Clinton; Mrs. William NANCE, of Wapella; Mrs. Urick JACOBSON, of Bowman, S. D.; and Thomas and Eunice, at home. A sister, Mrs. John SUTTON, of Butler, Mo., also survives. The funeral was held today at 2 p.m. from the Free Methodist church in this city. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:
NOWLIN, I. S.    KIRBY, FLORA E.     1878-05-08    DE WITT


February 26, 2004
Clinton Daily Journal

(Obituary Extract)
Name: Oscar J. B. NOWLIN
Born: April 2, 1911 in Maroa.
Died: Feb. 21, 2004 at Community Hospital in Onaga, Kan. |
Parents: Cortez Dewey NOWLIN and Minnie Bell JUMP.
Married: Dorothy LONGSDORFF in Maroa on June 28, 1935.
Survivors: His wife, Dorothy O. NOWLIN; three sons, John B. (Lea) NOWLIN of Bellflower, Calif., Stewart E. (Nancy) NOWLIN of Lawrence, Kan., and David D. (Sharon) NOWLIN of Phoenix, Ariz.; one daughter, Dr. Mary C. NOWLIN of Phoenix, Ariz.; six grandchildren, Steven (Tasha) WALVIG of Minneapolis, Minn., Melinda (Andrew) SMITH of Overland Park, Kan., Jonathan (Jennifer) NOWLIN of Plymouth, Minn., Patrick NOWLIN of Kosa Town Kumamoto-Ken, Japan, Kamilah Sarah SMITH of Phoenix, Ariz., and Erick NOWLIN of New York, N.Y.
Funeral: 4 p.m. Thursday at Maroa Cemetery in Maroa, with Rev. Terry WESTERFIELD officiating.
Burial: Maroa Cemetery.

Submitted by Sheryl Byrd


September 1930
Paper Unknown (possibly The Farmer City Journal)

Mrs. S. E. Nutt Dies This Morning.

The Grim Reaper of Death has visited another home in the city and saddened the hearts of many by calling forth Mrs. S. E. NUTT, who has spent her entire life in Farmer City. On Thursday morning, September 4, 1930, Mrs. Nutt departed from this life at the Kelso Clinic, where she had undergone an operation on Wednesday. She had been in ill health for some time, having undergone two other such operations previously. Mrs. Mary Jane Nutt, daughter of Wm. and Jennie KIRBY, was born in Farmer City on September 8, 1886. She was united in marriage in 1924 with Sidney E. NUTT. She has spent her entire life in this city, making numerous friends with her quiet manner. Her life was gentle, but like the still water it was deep. Her home instincts were strong and affection for friends and kindred was tender and abiding. She is survived by one sister, Mrs. Mable WILSON of Iowa; and one brother, Roland E. KIRBY of Bloomington. Mrs. F. S. THOMAS, of this city, is the only surviving aunt. Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon, September 5, at 2:30 o’clock at the late home.

Submitted by John Laughlin

Samuel NUTT 

May 22, 1885
Clinton Public

Death of an Eccentric Man.

Samuel NUTT died in Farmer City yesterday afternoon, at two o'clock. Mr. Nutt had been sick for some time but refused to have a physician prescribe for him. Of late years he had been a religious enthusiast and finally he came to the belief that he was a prophet sent from God to reform the world. To show that he was endowed with power from God, he determined to fast for forty days in order to cure himself of his bodily ailments. At the end of thirteen days he died. His family nor his friends could not persuade him to partake of food or have a physician prescribe for him. Samuel Nutt was sixty-three years of age.

He had been a resident of Farmer City for about fifteen years. He was an Englishman by birth. Till some four or five years ago he was a confirmed drunkard, and although he was an expert workman—his trade being that of a plasterer and a designer of plaster decorations—his family had a hard struggle for a livelihood. After his reformation he turned his thoughts to the subject of religion and devoted every spare moment to the study of the scriptures, till he finally became fanatical on the question. During the past three or four years he wrote a great deal for the Farmer City papers over the signature of "Samuel Nutt, the Spirit of Truth," and from the wild character of his writings and conversation one could see that his mind was unbalanced. He was always ready to discuss the scriptures with anybody. For the past year or two he took up the cudgels against ministers and churches on the score that they were leading the people into error and became as rabid in his denunciation of orthodoxy as he was before in favor of it. He was an eccentric man.

He leaves a wife and four children, and his only property is a house in Farmer City, worth about $700, and the printing press and type which he used for the publication of his paper, which he called The Spirit of Truth. Mr. Nutt did all the writing, type setting and press work on his paper during the hours in which he was not employed at his trade, and the paper was sent free to anybody who would read it or take it out of the post-office.


July 22, 1910
Clinton Register

Accident Victim Dies.

Oscar NYDEGGER, of Farmer City, died at 7 o'clock Thursday morning at Brokaw hospital in Bloomington.  His death was due to injuries received in a fall from the haymow of Madden’s Transfer barn in Bloomington Monday night.  His skull was fractured in the fall and he was otherwise injured.  A surgical operation was performed at the hospital in an unsuccessful attempt to save his life.

No one witnessed the accident which happened shortly after midnight.  No one about the barn knew the man or how he happened to get into the haymow unless he went in the back way and up into the mow to sleep.  It is the general consensus of opinion that he was intoxicated and went to this barn for the night.  He was taken to the hospital and was identified by M. B. Neal, formerly of Farmer City.

This is the second time that the death of this unfortunate man has been chronicled.   Several weeks ago a badly decomposed body was found in the waters at Chicago and was later identified as Oscar Nydegger by his brother, Edgar NYDEGGER, of Farmer City, who took charge of the remains and paid the funeral expenses.  Later the brother appeared at his home in Farmer City much to the surprise of relatives who thought him dead.

Mrs. Samuel A. NYDEGGER 

February 21, 1902
Clinton Register


Mrs. S. A. NYDEGGER died at her home in Farmer City after a short illness.  Her maiden name was Etta M. POLK, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert POLK, old and respected citizens living on a farm north of that city, and was 36 years old Aug. 27, 1901.  She was born near LeRoy and had always resided near Farmer City.  Aside from the husband, two children, one a girl of 12 years and a baby of 4 weeks, are left to mourn her taking off.

Note: She was listed in the 1900 census with her husband, Samuel A. Nydegger and a 10-year-old daughter named Maud.

Theophilus (aka Edward) NYDEGGER 

January 13, 1911
Clinton Register

Old Resident Dead.

Edward (aka Theophilus) NYDEGGER, of Farmer City died Sunday afternoon at the Brokaw hospital as a result of old age disabilities, he being 82 years of age.  The deceased was born in Germany a little over 80 years ago, and came to this country in 1850 and located near Farmer City, where he had since made his home.  He is survived by two sons, Samuel and Edward, both of Farmer City, and one daughter, Mrs. Robert POLK, of DeWitt county.  His wife died a little over a year ago.  The remains were taken to Farmer City for burial.

Mrs. Theophilus NYDEGGER 

August 9, 1909
The Decatur Review
Macon County, Illinois

Other News of the Day From Farmer City and Vicinity.

Farmer City, Aug. 9.—Mrs. Theophilus NYDEGGER passed away Sunday morning at her home just north of this city, after two years of almost total invalidism.  The funeral will probably be held Tuesday.

Mrs. Nydegger would have been 79 years old Sept. 10.  She is survived by Mr. NYDEGGER and the following children: Oscar NYDEGGER, of North Dakota; Samuel and E. D. NYDEGGER and Mrs. Robert POLK, of this vicinity.  She was an aunt of Mrs. S. R. MITCHELL and Mrs. Charles WEBB, being a sister of their late father, Jacob WHITE.