Obituaries - J

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U-V | W | X-Z

Obituaries were submitted by Judy Simpson unless otherwise noted.

Mrs. John E. JACK 

August 16, 1917
Clinton Daily Public

Had Been a Sufferer For Eighteen Years—
Funeral Plans Are Not Completed.

Mrs. Alice JACK died in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Carl EVERHART, 821 East North street, this morning at 3:30 o'clock as the result of a two months illness of dropsy and heart trouble.  For the past eighteen years she has been a sufferer of rheumatism and this later developed into dropsy which was the chief cause of her death.

Deceased was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John F. ELSWORTH and was born in Mason City, March 12, 1862.  She lived at that place with her parents until she was about eighteen years of age when she was married to John E. JACK.  Immediately after their marriage they moved to Milton, Iowa, where Mr. Jack was engaged in the music business.  They continued to make their home there until Mr. Jack’s death, which occurred one year ago last January.  Following his death Mrs. Jack came to Clinton where she has since made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Everhart.

Four children, all girls, were born to the union, one daughter, Mrs. Altha GULLETT, dying in Decatur several years ago.  The surviving daughters are Mrs. Carl Everhart, 812 East North street; Mrs. J. A. STEEL, of Leads, Iowa; and Mrs. F. A. BUSER, of Oelrich, South Dakota.  She is also survived by four sisters, one brother and nine grandchildren.

Mrs. Jack was a lifelong member of the M. E. church, but for the last years was unable to attend church because of ill health.  No funeral arrangements will be made until the two daughters arrive in the city.

Alexander JACKSON 

August 25, 1905
Clinton Register


Alex JACKSON conducted a barber shop in Clinton about 25 years and was run out of town about a year ago, because he married a white woman, who had been his housekeeper.  He went to Springfield from Clinton, but lately had been working in a Bloomington barber shop and had slept in the rear part of the shop.   Friday morning when the shop was opened, he was found there dead.  He was about 45 years old and his wife and son died in Clinton a few years ago.   Funeral was held in Clinton Saturday conducted by Rev. Ward.  Burial in Woodlawn.

Mrs. Elwyn B. JACKSON 

January 7, 1881
Clinton Public

Miss Eva JACKSON, wife of E. B. JACKSON, died at her home in Creek township last Monday, of consumption, aged twenty-four years.  She had been confined to her bed for about nine weeks.  Her baby died last September, since which time till her death Mrs. Jackson was not well.  Her remains were taken to Indianapolis on Tuesday afternoon, and burial the following day at Crown Hill cemetery.  Mr. Jackson is a comparative stranger in this county, having come from Ohio in October, 1879, and purchased the farm in Creek formerly owned by A. R. Smith.

Note: 1872 - 1882 Marion County Indiana Marriages:

Mrs. George W. JACKSON 

January 13, 1899
Clinton Public

Mrs. Elizabeth JACKSON, for many years a resident of DeWitt, died there Tuesday afternoon after a short illness. She was 68 years old. Pleuropneumonia was the direct cause of her death.


January 20, 1899
Clinton Public

Elizabeth LASH was born in Ohio March 5, 1833, and died in DeWitt, Ill., January 10, 1899, aged 66 years, 10 months and 25 days. At an early age the father of deceased moved to DeWitt county, Illinois, September 9, 1850; Elizabeth Lash was married to Amos S. MOORE. Mr. Moore died on July 2, 1853, leaving his widow with two small children. March 12, 1857, Elizabeth Moore was married to Jas. FORBES, who died May 28, 1868. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Forbes, all of whom are living. March 3, 1879, she was married to G. W. JACKSON. One son was born to them, who survives her. On Christmas day, 1887, Mrs. Jackson joined the M. E. church. She had lived a Christian life in this community, and all are witnesses of the good confession she has made in both churches of the village. She was always in her place in the sanctuary, and will be missed by both societies. Her bereaved children have the sympathy of many who unite their prayers with those of the mother for their future welfare.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:
MOORE, AMOS S.     LASH, ELIZABETH      1850-09-09     DE WITT
FORBES, JAMES     MOORE, ELIZABETH      1857-03-12     DE WITT


November 11, 1929
Decatur Herald

James Jackson Dies.

James (Sunny Jim) JACKSON, for many years a resident of Farmer City, died in his home in Los Angeles, Cal., on Nov. 6, according to word received in Farmer City yesterday.

He was born Feb. 3, 1846, in Manchester, England. At the age of 4 years he came with his parents to America in the spring of 1850, landing in Castle Garden, N. Y., after a voyage of 35 days in a sailing vessel. He lived for six years in Rochester, N. Y., moving to Farmer City in 1856.

Mr. Jackson was married in Farmer City to Miss Martha J. WEEDMAN Dec. 24, 1868, and six children were born to them. His wife died Aug. 6, 1927, and on July 17, 1928, he married Mrs. Nancy Jane LILLARD of California. Besides his wife he also leaves three children, Mrs. Nellie MUNCH, Bloomington; Mrs. Dick JOHNSON, Champaign, and Rex JACKSON, of Farmer City.

The body will be brought to Farmer City for burial, arriving there some time today.

Note: Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:
LILLARD, Z. T.    HOLLOWAY, NANCY J.   08/31/1865   DE WITT

Note: Z.T. and Nancy Lillard moved from Farmer City to Newton, Kansas circa 1884-1885, and then to California circa 1895. It's interesting that Nancy Lillard and James Jackson married some 44 years after she moved away from Farmer City.

Submitted by Erik Thorson


May 25, 1888
Clinton Public

Forty years ago Jesse JACKSON came from Ohio and settled on a farm near Mt. Pulaski, and there he lived and raised his family till the spring of 1884, when he came to Clinton to live with his son, Abner R. JACKSON. Mr. Jackson was born in Ohio on the 21st of October, 1804, and he died in this city on last Tuesday, May 22, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. He was the father of nine children, three of whom survive him, two sons and one daughter. His aged wife preceded him to the tomb, she having died on the 3rd of February, 1885, aged seventy-one years. Mr. Jackson united with the M. E. Church twenty years ago, and lived a devout Christian. His remains were taken to Mt. Pulaski on Thursday morning, to be laid away beside his wife and children.

Mrs. Polly JACKSON 

May 1, 1885
Clinton Public

Polly JACKSON died at the home of her son, Samuel JACKSON, in this city, on Saturday, April 25th. Mrs. Jackson was born in Richmond, Va., as is supposed on August 1st, 1796. She had lived in Clinton for about twenty years. She united with the Baptist Church at the age of sixteen, and lived a consistent Christian life till the time of her death. She was a member of the Second Baptist Church of this city, and the little struggling band of the church feels her loss as of a mother in Israel. She leaves a large family of grown-up children to mourn their loss. Her funeral took place from the Second Baptist Church and was largely attended, Pastor ROBINSON and Elder D. MacARTHUR officiating.

Mrs. Susannah JACKSON 

February 6, 1885
Clinton Public

Mrs. Susannah JACKSON, mother of A. R. and J. A. JACKSON, died in this city on Tuesday morning, after a protracted illness, at the advanced age of seventy-one years and four months. The funeral occurred yesterday afternoon, the body being taken to Mt. Pulaski, the old home of the Jackson family, for interment.

Mrs. Thomas JACKSON 

July 30, 1880
Clinton Public

Mrs. Sarah JACKSON, wife of Thomas JACKSON, died in this city on Tuesday.  Three weeks before her death Mrs. Jackson was assisting in carrying a heavy coal cook stove into the house, when she ruptured a blood vessel.  She was immediately siezed with vomiting of blood, which continued at intervals till her death.  She leaves four children and husband to mourn their loss.


September 2, 1881
Clinton Register

Burned to Death.

Sunday evening, a little after dark, there occurred in Texas township an accident which resulted in the death of Mrs. Uriah JAMES, and probably that of her husband. It seems that Mr. and Mrs. James went out with a lantern into the smoke house, a few feet away from the residence, for the purpose of catching some chickens. In the smoke house was a can of gasoline. Mrs. James noticed that the can leaked and some of the fluid was running through the floor into the cellar below, and fearing it would injure some things in the cellar, she started down stairs with the lantern. As soon as she opened the cellar door the flame of the lantern set fire to the gas which had collected in the cellar from the evaporation of the gasoline, and she was enveloped in flames. Mr. James following after, caught her and carried her out, but before the flames could be extinguished she was so badly burned and inhaled so much of the flame that she died before morning. Mr. James, in trying to aid his wife, was also so severely burned in his face and hands that his life is despaired of.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:

George W. JAMESON 

December 3, 1909
Clinton Register

Death of Former Merchant.

G. W. JAMESON died Monday night about 1 o'clock at his home on North Madison street. He had been in failing health two or three years and for several months had been confined to his home.

Deceased was born in Wheeling, W. Va., Feb. 6, 1846. When about 12 years old his father moved to Illinois, locating in Sangamon county, where he was married to Miss Elizabeth STEWART Feb. 22, 1870, whose parents came to Illinois from Pennsylvania. They lived near Springfield until 1881 when they moved to Farmer City where he engaged in business. He sold his business there and about 20 years ago opened a hardware store in Clinton in the Woy & Zorger building, which he continued about ten years when he sold his stock and retired from business, but continued his home in Clinton.

He is survived by his wife and two sons, Stewart, of Oskaloosa, and Fred, of Memphis, Tenn., also by a brother and two sisters of Springfield, Henry JAMESON, Mrs. Jessie COX, and Mrs. James MAXEY, and a half brother, S. H. JAMESON, of Decatur. He had been a member of the Presbyterian church many years.

Funeral services were held yesterday at 2:30 at the home, conducted by Rev. Fulton. Burial in Woodlawn cemetery.

Note: His first name was found in the cemetery records.

Sgt. Thomas JAMIESON 

May 11, 1877
Clinton Public


Sergeant Thomas JAMIESON has answered to the roll call in the unknown world. He died last Saturday afternoon, after a brief illness. Thomas Jamieson when the war broke out he was a resident of Watseka, Iroquois county. He enlisted in the Twentieth Illinois Infantry and was a member of the color guard. At Shiloh, where the Twentieth suffered terribly of killed and wounded, Sergeant Jamieson received a wound in the breast while bearing the colors of his regiment. While the wound soon healed and he was again fit for service, in after years it trouble him seriously. At the close of the war Sergeant Jamieson returned to this State and some seven or eight years ago was a member of the merchant's police force in Chicago. One night, while on duty, a store on his beat was entered by burglars, and in a hand-to-hand encounter with them he received several knife and pistol wounds. This ended his police duty, for his injuries were of a permanent character. About five years ago the Sergeant came to this city where he was greeted by his old companions in arms. Some of the members of the Twentieth interested themselves in his behalf and had him appointed on the night police. This office he filled for some time, but being of dissipated habits, cultivated by the use of stimulants to ease the pains caused by his wounds, he was finally dismissed. Since then he has dragged out a sort of an existence, depending on the charity of his old comrades for clothing, while by doing odd jobs he secured enough to eat. He was in the receipt of a small pension from the government, but two years ago he lost his papers and neglected to get copies from the department at Washington. For some time, S. K. CARTER, who was in the same regiment with the Sergeant, had been in correspondence with the pension department to secure the Sergeant's back pay and get him an increase of pension. The final papers were here for signature and on the day they were to be closed up, Sergeant Jamieson was seized with paralysis, which finally resulted in his death. He was buried on Sunday afternoon, with military honors, in the soldiers' lot in Woodlawn Cemetery, Capt. NORTH, of the Twentieth having charge of the funeral escort.

Sergeant Jamieson was a single man. He was a native of Canada and was the son of a Captain in the British army. He was a man of good education, and in early life was intended for one of the learned professions. The death of his father upset the family plans, and as he had no trade he had to follow whatever business that presented. Like thousands of young men who are brought up in the same way, when the real battle of life began he was unequal to the task. While he was in the army he was very temperate in his habits and was a brave soldier.

William J. JAYNE 

April 1897
Funeral Card

William J. JAYNE died at home in Farmer City, Wednesday, March 31, 1897, aged 63 years, 4 months, 2 days. Funeral: late residence, April 1st. Burial: City Cemetery.

Submitted by Bob Halsey

Aurelius JEFFREY 

February 15, 1889
Clinton Register

Aurelius JEFFREY died at the residence of his son, J. M. JEFFREY, in Barnett township about noon yesterday, aged 54 years. The burial will take place in Woodlawn cemetery today at 1 o'clock. He had been confined to his bed only four days, his disease being chronic. He was the father of five children, three sons and two daughters, all living. His wife died about two years ago. He owned about 400 acres of land in Barnett township, and his life was insured for $3,000 in a reliable company.


February 22, 1889
Clinton Register

A. JEFFREY died after a painful illness of 10 days, at his daughter’s, Mrs. A. H. SMITH, three fourth’s mile east of Hallsville, Friday, Feb. 15, and was buried at Clinton, Saturday 16 by the side of his wife. His religious belief was universal salvation.

Mrs. Aurelius JEFFREY 

June 4, 1886
Clinton Public

Death of Mrs. Aurelius Jeffrey.

Since last February Mrs. JEFFREY, the wife of Aurelius JEFFREY, of Barnett township, was an invalid, and till within eight or ten days before her death no fatal results were thought of by her family or her physician. On Wednesday news came to her relatives in Clinton that she was dying, and on Thursday morning she breathed her last. Mrs. Jeffrey was the oldest daughter of Judge Samuel GRAHAM. She was born in Butler county, Ohio, in 1835, and at her death she was in her fifty-first year. On the 27th of May, 1858, she was married at her father's home in Barnett township to Mr. Aurelius Jeffrey. She was the mother of seven children, five of whom survive her. Mrs. Jeffrey will be missed in her family and among her neighbors, for she was a woman of kindly nature and was ever ready and willing to help those who needed assistance. She will be buried this afternoon in Woodlawn Cemetery.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:


February 21, 1913
Clinton Register


Mrs. F. M. JEFFREY, one of the oldest residents of Waynesville, died suddenly last night. Mrs. Jeffrey was returning from church about 9 o'clock when she was suddenly stricken and fell on the walk. She was found by parties returning from church and taken to the home of a neighbor, but died before the arrival of a physician. Deceased is well known in Waynesville township, where she has resided for many years. Besides the husband, F. M. JEFFREY, she is survived by three daughters, Mrs. W. C. MORSE, residing near Monroe City, Mo.; Mrs. Roxy REEVES, also residing in Missouri; Mrs. John SHERMAN, residing in Waynesville; also two sons, Edward and Charles JEFFREY, who reside in the West. Coroner H. A. MOORE went to Waynesville this morning to hold an inquest.


October 14, 1887
Clinton Public

Death of Lester Jeffrey.

On Wednesday, September 14, Lester JEFFREY, who was living with his uncle, Marion JEFFREY, in Waynesville, was out hunting squirrels. Returning home in the evening he said to his aunt that he would show her how people killed themselves, at the same time placing the muzzle of the gun against his stomach. The gun, by accident, was discharged and the load of shot entered young Jeffrey's body, tearing away his naval. The boy lived in great agony till last Wednesday afternoon, at five o'clock, when he died. This is another dreadful warning against the careless handling of fire arms. The boy could not account for the discharge of the gun. Lester Jeffrey was the son of Ephraim JEFFREY, who died about twelve years ago, near Waynesville. The boy was only seventeen years of age, and had made his home with his uncle Marion for a number of years.

Mrs. William C. JEFFRIES 

December 1921
Paper Unknown

Death of Mary E. Jeffries.

Mr. and Mrs. S. D. Williams returned home the latter part of last week from Lancaster, Mo., where they were called by the death of Mr. Williams’ sister, Mrs. Mary E. JEFFRIES.  Mrs. Jeffries died on Sunday, Dec. 11, after a week’s illness of pneumonia.

The deceased was one of the early residents of Waynesville township, having been born here August 10, 1849.  She grew into womanhood and in 1868 was married in Waynesville to W. C. JEFFRIES.  They left Waynesville in 1869.  Nine children were born to this union, of whom four are living; Mrs. Sophia NICHOLS, of Lancaster, Mo.; Miss Gertrude JEFFRIES, at home; John JEFFRIES, of Washington, Iowa; and Rupert JEFFRIES, of Iowa.  The other children and her husband preceded her in death.  S. D. WILLIAMS, a brother, of Waynesville, is the only surviving member of the family of six.  Those who have gone before are Moses G. and Katherine E. WILLIAMS, Elizabeth MARVEL, Barthena PRICE and Mrs. JEFFRIES.

Funeral services for Mrs. Jeffries were held at the M.E. church at Lancaster, Mo., Wednesday afternoon, December 14, at two o'clock.  Burial was in Odd Fellows cemetery.

Note: Her death certificate shows her death date was December 11, 1921.

Mrs. Frank JENKINS 

Paper Unknown


(Obituary Extract)
Name: Amelia (FRANK) JENKINS
Age: 78
Born: January 28, 1879 near Chrisney, Ind.
Parents: Jacob and Margaret FRANK
Spouse: Frank JENKINS, m. December 27, 1910
Memberships/Affiliations: Member of the Methodist Church
Died: 1957 (date unknown), at John Warner Hospital
Survivors: Husband, Frank JENKINS; two sisters, Mrs. Carrie BELL,
Evansville, IN, and Mrs. Wayne SHRIEFER, Rockport, IN. Preceded
in death by a daughter, Wava, also three brothers and three sisters.
Visitation: Pullen-Boos Chapel
Funeral: Methodist Church, Rev. Walter Theobald officiating.
Burial: Woodlawn Cemetery

Submitted by Helen Pate Ross


June 23, 1897
Clinton Register

Obituary of James Jenkins.

The following brief biography was furnished the Register by a member of the family.

Again has death invaded the neighborhood and taken one of its most aged and respected citizens. Another home deprived of a kind husband and father; another place vacant and silent. After a lingering illness of nine months James JENKINS died at his house at 8 o'clock June 23, aged 72 years, 1 month and 11 days.

Last September he began ailing but his illness at that time was not considered of an alarming nature. At times the physicians were encouraged until a few months before his death. The family commended every care, love and devotion, and united with all power to restore him to health but to no avail. His children were with him all through his sickness.

James Jenkins was the son of Thomas and Lucinda Smith JENKINS and was born near Xenia, Green County, OH, May 12, 1823. His parents came from Ohio in 1829. There were 13 in his father's family, 6 boys and 7 girls, eight grew to maturity but two are living, Mrs. Cassander EVANS of Waynesville, who is 70 years old, and Robert T., who is 48. His father died April 8, 1856, aged 66 years, and his mother in 1871, aged 71 years. James Jenkins was married to Miss Lucinda POLLOCK, September 12, 1853, and was the father of eleven children, eight of whom are living; Warner, Jos. P., Mrs. Sophronia DANELS, John L., Mrs. Lucinda MILLS, Mrs. Mahala HALL, Robert, and Mrs. Allie L. RILEY; four, James, Thos., Isaiah, and Ida, having preceded him to the better land. There are 12 grandchildren, eleven of whom are living. He was of Universalist faith and from the beginning of his sickness he told his family and friends that he never expected to get well, but that he was ready to go, that as his days had been long enough on earth and he remarked to Rev. Hunter that his mother was the first one he expected to see when he reached heaven. Politically he was a Democrat, casting his first vote in 1848. He was an old subscriber to the Register, having taken that paper since its first issue, up to the time of his death.

The family extends their thanks to the neighbors and friends who so kindly assisted them in their sad bereavement.

Submitted by Helen Pate Ross

Mrs. James JENKINS 

January 8, 1915
Clinton Register

Mrs. Hannah L. Jenkins Died Wednesday Night—
Came Here in 1839.

The passing of one of the earliest pioneers of DeWitt county occurred Wednesday evening at 7:20 when Mrs. Hannah JENKINS died at the home of her son, John L. JENKINS, on West Adams street. Deceased had been ill for about two weeks preceding her death and at no time during that period was her recovery looked for. She was possessed of wonderful strength and vitality and this tended to ward off the death angel many hours. For a period of seventy-five years Mrs. Jenkins had been a resident of DeWitt county, all but the past two of which she had spent in Barnett township. Two years ago she came to the city to pass her remaining years at the home of her son and there breathed her last.

Hannah Lucinda POLLOCK was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio, February 28, 1835, and came with her parents to Illinois in 1839, the former, James and Sophronia Pollock, settling on land now in Barnett township. During the early years of her life the spinning wheel was in vogue, as well as the family loom, and Miss Pollock not only spun the thread but wove the cloth which she later made into clothing for herself and other members of the family. At the early age of seventeen years she was married to James JENKINS, the young couple, together with her brother, the late Jno. POLLOCK, and his wife, going to St. Louis on horseback to have the ceremony performed. This was in September, 1852. The young couple settled on a farm near the home of the bride's parents in the Green Valley neighborhood, where they prospered in spite of the hardships of pioneer life, and where they reared a large family. Help was scarce in those days and Mrs. Jenkins often made a hand at the farm work. Of the 11 children born to them six survive, as follows: Mrs. Wm. A. MILLS, Kenney; Mrs. Curtis HALL, Hallsville; Warner and John L. JENKINS, Clinton; Joseph P. and Robert JENKINS, of Jenkins Switch. James and Iva died in infancy; Isaiah died at the family home in 1889; Mrs. Sophronia DANIELS died in 1898, and Mrs. Mary RILEY in 1905. Mrs. Jenkins was the last of a family of eight children.

Mrs. Jenkins united with the M. E. church at the age of fifteen years and had been an earnest worker and member of the Methodist church of Clinton ever since its organization.

Funeral services were held this morning at eleven o'clock from the Methodist church, Rev. Artz, a former pastor, of Ashley, Ill., officiating, assisted by Rev. E. K. Towle. Burial in Woodlawn.


Paper Unknown

(Obituary Extract)
Name: Oscar JENKINS
Age: 62
Born: June 24, 1873, Clinton, IL
Parents: Robert F. and Ada (Parker) JENKINS
Spouse: Ella ANDERSON
Married: September 3, 1893
Occupation: Farmer
Memberships/Affiliations: M. E. Church
Died: Sunday, April 19, 1936, 11:30 p.m.
Funeral: Tuesday, April 21, 1936, 2:30 p.m., M. E. Church,
Rev. J. R. FORD officiating
Burial: Woodlawn Cemetery, Reeser Funeral service in charge
of burial
Pallbearers: I. RIDDLE, Sam and Adolph COBB, George WILSON,
Survivors: Three children, Mrs. Charles MEACHUM, Mrs. Alta
CLEMONS, and Loren JENKINS, all of Clinton; also two brothers,
Frank and Bernard JENKINS of near Clinton

Submitted by Helen Pate Ross

Mrs. Oscar JENKINS 

Clinton Journal


(Obituary Extract)
Age: 75
Born: September 26, 1872, Midland City, DeWitt Co., IL
Parents: J. W. and Emma ANDERSON
Spouse: Oscar JENKINS
Married: September 3, 1893
Memberships/Affiliations: Methodist Church and While Away Club
Died: Tuesday, June 28, 1949, 5:50 a.m., at John Warner Hospital, Clinton, IL
Visitation: Pullen-Boos Funeral Chapel
Funeral: Thursday, June 30, 1949, 2:30 p.m., at Clinton Methodist
Church, Rev. J. Dewey MUIR officiating.
Burial: Woodlawn Cemetery
Survivors: Two daughters, Mrs. Maria MEACHUM of DeLand, and Mrs. Alta
CLEMONS of Clinton; one son, Loren JENKINS of Clinton. Other survivors
include a brother and two sisters, Mrs. Charles CAHILL and Mrs. Frank MILLS,
all of Clinton; also four grandchildren and one great grandchild. Her husband
preceded her in death in 1936.

Submitted by Helen Pate Ross

Mrs. Robert F. JENKINS 

April 4, 1918, Thursday
Clinton Daily Public

Prominent Pioneer of DeWitt County Passes Away at Hospital.

Mrs. Robert F. JENKINS, a well known and respected resident of this county, passed away this morning at 3 o'clock at the John Warner hospital after a short illness of several days.  General debility is said to be the cause of her demise, she being sixty-six years of age at the time of her death.  Mrs. Jenkins complained of illness on Easter Sunday and on Tuesday was removed to the hospital here for treatment.  Her end came sudden and unexpectedly.  The family homestead is west of the city and here for many years she made her home.  She was surrounded by the members of her family at the end.

Mrs. Jenkins was a lifelong pioneer of DeWitt county, born here in 1852 and taking up residence here ever since.  Her maiden name was Ada J. PARKER.  On February 4, 1869, she was united in marriage to Robert F. JENKINS and of that union five children were born.  Four of them survive.  They are Mrs. Flora WOOSLEY, of Clinton, and Oscar, Frank and Bernard, of west of Clinton.  The husband and a brother, Lemuel A. PARKER, of this city, also survive.

Mrs. Jenkins was a devoted member of the Methodist church and socially belonged to the Weldon Springs Rebekah lodge.  The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock from the Methodist church, Rev. J. E. Artz, of Ashland, assisted by Rev. A. M. Wells, officiating.  Interment in Woodlawn.


March 1, 1878
Clinton Public

William JENNINGS, the autocrat of the poor farm, died Tuesday night at the advanced age of eighty years.  Twenty years ago he came to Clinton and worked at his trade, wagon making.  The old man was a widower and had no one to take care of so he took life easy.   It took but little to supply his wants, and that he could always make at his trade.   About four years ago he had to knock under; old age and its infirmities were too muchfor the old man and he went to the poor farm.  The overseer and his family were kind to Jennings and he had his own way in everything.  Up to the last he worked when he was able and was always neat and clean in his person.  Some years ago one of his sons, who is well off, came to Clinton to get the old man to go home with him and spend the few remaining years of his life.  But because the son once upbraided him for drinking the old man would not go, but preferred to live and die among the friends he had made here.

Joseph JEPSON 

March 1892
Paper Unknown

Joseph JEPSON, an old resident of Clinton, died this morning.  Further notice next week.

Submitted by Debbie Champion

Mrs. Elyah G. JETT 

January 21, 1887
Clinton Public

Mrs. Elizabeth JETT, who has been in feeble health for some time, passed over the River of Jordan January 15th at the home of her father. She was 19 years of age and was a loving and affectionate girl and wife. She was married to Mr. E. JETT in February, 1886. The funeral services were held at the residence of J. A. KIRBY, and were conducted by Rev. J. E. DEIHL. The corpse was then given to the hands of Rebecca lodge, of which she was an honored member, who performed the last sad rites. Her remains were taken to Pleasant Valley grave-yard, followed by a large concourse of relatives and friends.


January 21, 1887
Clinton Register

It is with deep sorrow that we are called upon to chronicle the death of Mrs. Clara Effie JETT, which occurred at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James A. KIRBY, Saturday, Jan. 15th, at 2:15 p.m., after being in the grasp of the dread disease consumption for more than a year. Mrs. Jett was in her twentieth year, was married to E. T. JETT on the 25th of Feb., 1886, she was a happy bride of but a few months, a dutiful and affectionate daughter and sister, and beloved wife. She leaves a large number of loving friends to mourn her untimely end. The funeral services were held at the residence of Mr. Kirby Monday at 2 p.m., Elder J. E. Deihl officiating, the services at the grave being conducted by the Rebekah Lodge, of which the deceased was a member.


January 1887
Paper unknown

Mrs. Effie (KIRBY) JETT, the daughter of James A. KIRBY and Clara (TROWBRIDGE) KIRBY, died in her father's home 2 miles west of Kenney, January 15, 1887. She was born September 1, 1867 making her 19 years 4 months and 15 days old. She was united in marriage to E. T. JETT, February 26, 1886. Although she had been in poor health for quite some time the rapidity with which she sank and the suddenness of her death which followed was a surprise and shock to all her friends and mere words cannot express the sorrow and grief which filled every heart when the sad news was made known. So short a life would seem too brief a space to win many friends but so gentle was her manner and so loving and kind her heart that she had won the esteem of all who knew her. Such testimonies were expressed by the vast concourse of people who met at Mr. Kirby's on Monday to take their last look of one whose laugh had so recently gladdened their hearts.

The funeral services conducted by Rev. Diehl were commenced by singing "Cast Thy Burden on the Lord," followed by the "Lord's Prayer." No sermon was given but the 103rd Psalm was read along with Isaiah 45:6-8 and 1st Peter 1-24. This was then followed by the song "While the Years Were Rolling On." Rev. Diehl then sang her favorite song "I'm Going Home." Tears of sympathy were in every eye as they took their last look at their beloved friend. Burial was at Pleasant Valley Cemetery.

She was proceeded in death by her brother Gifford KIRBY and is survived by sisters Samantha KIRBY, Mrs. William (Mary Etta) CANTRELL and brothers Frank Elmer KIRBY and Alison KIRBY.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:
JETT, ELYAH G.   KIRBY, EFFIE    02/25/1886   DE WITT

Submitted by Earliene Kaelin

Johnson (child) 

January 26, 1900
Clinton Register

A child of Mr. and Mrs. Frank JOHNSON was so severely scalded Tuesday that it died yesterday morning. Funeral at residence, on the B. T. Mitchell farm at 10:30 today, conducted by Rev. Gossow. Interment in Woodlawn.

Submitted by Sheryl Byrd


November 1, 1895
Clinton Public

Albert JOHNSON, aged thirty years, died at Wapella on Sunday morning of consumption. About two months ago he had a severe hemorrhage of the lungs, but was gaining strength and was able to be about. He was in Wapella a couple of days before he died. His death was sudden, resulting from another hemorrhage. Albert was born in Kansas but spent the greater part of his life in Wapella.


March 1, 1895
Clinton Public

Miss Anna JOHNSON, who was born in Clinton twenty-four years ago last December, died at the home of her father, Mr. George JOHNSON, on Wednesday last. Miss Johnson had been an invalid for two years from consumption, and though she never suffered much pain nor was she confined to her bed, her life gradually went out till the last spark fled. So quietly did she pass away that for a minute or so her parents could hardly realize that their first-born was no more in life. A large number of the friends of the family attended the funeral service, in the First Baptist Church, yesterday afternoon. Rev. D. MacARTHUR was the officiating clergyman. The remains were interred in Woodlawn.


January 1, 1904
Clinton Register

One of DeWitt County's Oldest Citizens at Rest.
He is Survived by the Woman Who Became His Wife Over Sixty-Eight Years Ago.

Again have the doors between life and eternity swung noiselessly to allow the passing of an earthly pilgrim to that “undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveler has returned.”  One of the very aged fathers, with tottering footsteps and feeble voice, heard the summons and murmured not at his going.  For almost ninety years he had journeyed between the earthly beginning and the end of all—life and death.  Over sixty-eight of these years had been passed in company with the faithful and lovable woman who, when he was 21 years old, became his companion, and is left lonely and deep in sorrow by the taking away of the one who had so faithfully kept his vow of early life to love, protect and honor her through all his years.  Their many years of unmarred devotion prove what a grand sweet poem is wedded life when hearts are joined by a love that is as pure as the Heavenly life and so true that it grows stronger as the years go by.  For almost the allotted years of man they had each shared the joys and sorrows of the other, and in the closing days of their happy pilgrimage together their devotion was as sincere, as tender, as beautiful as when, in the joy and strength of youth, they plighted their love and began the wedded life that should inspire every husband and wife to live as God intended they should.  Their many years of happiness together make it proper that both their kindly faces appear in connection with these lines, written in memory of the one who has preceded in death.

Eason JOHNSON was born Aug. 13, 1814, in Rhode Island, and Alice CALENDAR, who became his wife Dec. 17, 1835, at Bellefontaine, O., was born Dec. 25, 1816, in Ohio.  Their united ages when separated by death were 176 years.  Though he had been very poorly several months, he was spared till the 68th anniversary of their marriage, and the 87th anniversary of her birth were spent together during the last month.  Death came to him about 3 o'clock Saturday morning, at the ripe age of 89 years, 4 months and 13 days.

The parents of Mr. Johnson were born in Rhode Island, the father Aug. 21, 1791, who had the honor of being in the employ of Gen. Israel Putnam; in 1817 he moved to Champaign county, O.  In that county he built a brick house in 1838 that is still standing, and has the date of its erection on it as placed when built.  The mother died there in 1862, but the father died at the home of his son south of Clinton in 1873, aged 82 years.  His only child living is Joseph, of Iroquois county, Ill., aged 85; one son, Ira, died a few years ago, aged 84; and a daughter, Lydia, wife of Dr. Geo GARWOOD, formerly of this city, died aged 77; another daughter, Lucinda FAIRCHILD, died in Iroquois county, aged 84.  This shows that Eason Johnson comes from a family of remarkable longevity; but no more so than the family from which his wife comes.  She is 87, and has a sister, Rhoda CAMPBELL, of Helena, Texas, who is 94 years old; a sister, Hulda CULVER, of Phoenix, Ore., is 83; another sister, Catherine HUMPHREY, of Bellefontaine, O., is 77; and a brother, Elisha CALENDAR, died four years ago, aged 83.  It would be difficult if not impossible to find another couple whose families number so many who lived to the ripest of years.

Mr. and Mrs. Johnson remained in Ohio until 1856, when they came to Illinois, buying of Robert Nagely, brother of Aaron Nagely, of this city, the land he now owns.  They resided there until the spring of 1857, when they sold the farm and returned to Ohio.  They lived in Ohio until 1858, when they moved to Texas.  From Cincinnati the whole distance was traveled by water, landing at a point on Matagorda Bay.  The first town they stopped at after leaving the bay was Gollad.  They took their personal property, expecting to remain in the South; but the war was coming on and when Mr. Johnson was told by the postmaster that it would be best for him to have the New York Tribune he received, sent in a sealed wrapper, he thought it time to depart, and returned to DeWitt county in 1859.  They landed at Cairo at 9 o'clock on a November morning, just one year previous to the day Lincoln was elected in 1860, so that Mr. Johnson got to vote for Lincoln.  When he arrived in DeWitt county he again bought the farm of 89 acres he sold before returning to Ohio.  This time he bought the farm of Col. Snell, and it since had been the family home.  The first time he paid $33, and $36 an acre the last time for the farm.

To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were born nine children, four of whom are dead.  The eldest son, Amos, lives at Canyon City, Col., and is engaged in mining; Mrs. C. K. ZORGER lives in Clinton; Ira, who had lived in Oregon several years with his wife, has been at the home of his parents the last three years to assist in caring for them in their declining years; Joseph E. and Mrs. Jas. KIRK live in Clinton.

Mr. Johnson was a Spiritualist and Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Universalist church of Clinton.  Politcally he was a Whig until he became a Republican; his first presidential vote was cast for Gen. William H. Harrison, in 1836, and he had never failed to vote at a presidential election since that time.  The only office he ever held was “fence viewer” while in Ohio; though always much interested in political matters, he was never desirous of holding office, and referred to this fact with pride.

The lives of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were characterized by industry and economy.  They lived for each other and their family.  Their lives were as two gently flowing streams, coursing noiselessly toward the Ocean of Rest.

Funeral services were held in the Universalist church Monday at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. C. E. Varney.

He had been a Mason about sixty-seven years and DeWitt lodge, No. 84, of Clinton, had charge of the remains and conducted the usual services at the grave.  The pall bearers were Jacob Ziegler, John Killough, Edwin Weld, Sr., Enoch Thornley, C. W. McCord and T. F. Martin.  Interment was in Woodlawn cemetery.

Note: His picture accompanies the article, but it's not very good.  It can be copied upon request.

Mrs. Eason JOHNSON 

October 18, 1912
Clinton Register

Oldest Person in DeWitt County Dies at the Home of Her Son in Clinton After Brief Illness.

The light of a life ripe in years and overflowing with acts of kindness and affection has ceased to shine, and the soul of one of the best women that ever honored DeWitt County has gone to rest.  For many years death had hesitated to close the book of life for one who had filled its pages with records of years well and nobly spent.  Long after the number of allotted pages had been used, new pages were added, without a protest from death that a record so full of good might be extended to a time that would mark the closing of a century.  But at last death grew impatient lest he be accused of being impartial and a good Christian mother “wrapped the drapery of her couch about her and laid down to pleasant dreams.”

The many hundreds who had known Mrs. Alice JOHNSON for years, and enjoyed the sunshine of her smile and the inspiration of her life, regret that she has been called from friends and loved ones.  Though she was nearing the ninety-sixth anniversary of her birth, she had been in usual health until three days before her passing away at 12:30 Friday night.

Her maiden name was Alice CALENDER and she was born in Champaign county, O., Dec. 25, 1816.  Dec. 17, 1835, she was married to Eason JOHNSON.  For a few years they lived on a farm near Mechanicsburg and then in that town.  In 1853 they came to DeWitt county, buying the farm south of Clinton, which was their home so long.  After a year or two they sold the farm and moved to Southern Texas but that country was not as inviting as it had been pictured to them, and they returned to Ohio and a year later to this county again, buying the land they had sold before going to Texas, resolved to spend no more time seeking what they could not find—a better country than Central Illinois, and there they lived in contented union until Dec. 25, 1903, when Mr. Johnson was taken by death, aged nearly 90 years, the separation of the aged couple being on the anniversary of Mr. Johnson’s birth.  After his death, his son Ira and wife returned from California and occupied the old homestead with his mother until a few months ago when they moved to Clinton.

To them were born nine children, five of whom are living.  They are Amos of Great Bend, Kan.; Mrs. C. K. Zorger, Ira C., Mrs. J. M. Kirk and Joseph E. of Clinton.  The deceased children were Nancy Lydia, Laura and Alice.

Deceased was a member of the Universalist church, and funeral services were held in that church building Sunday at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev. A. H. Laing.  Burial was in Woodlawn cemetery.


June 27, 1890
Clinton Public

Elias JOHNSON, one of the early settlers of Farmer City, died yesterday morning. Some years ago he was stricken with paralysis from which he never recovered. A week ago he went out driving and was afterward found in the road, speechless and unconscious. Mr. Johnson was a man of fine business ability and had amassed a fortune estimated at $75,000. He was an uncompromising Prohibitionist and opposed to evil of all kinds. He leaves a wife and two daughters. One of his daughters is the wife of Mr. J. Q. JONES, who now lives in Centralia; the other daughter is the wife of Mr. John McDONALD, of Farmer City.

Franklin JOHNSON 

August 1, 1898
Paper Unknown

Franklin JOHNSON died at the home of his parents, P.E. JOHNSON and E.C. JOHNSON, in Leroy, August 1, 1898, at 9:30 p.m., aged 12 years, 5 months, 6 days. Funeral: Dl. E. Church, Leroy, August 3rd. Burial: City Cemetery.

Submitted by Unknown

Frederick W. JOHNSON 

September 8, 1893
Clinton Public

While Fred JOHNSON was born and raised near Clinton and graduated with honor in our high school, yet for three years past he has claimed Weldon as his home and voted there. He taught school in winter and worked on a farm in summer. Fred was no laggard in life and he made every hour count with the expectation that by-and-by he would own a farm of his own and be able to take pleasure in the leisure that is honestly earned. As a schoolboy he was modest and diffident and this bashfulness clung to him. It was the fly in his ointment that made it hard to bear the rude rebuffs that a sensitive nature is sure to run against in this life. But few young men who have reached his age-twenty-five years-can lay claim to a better and purer moral record than Fred Johnson.

He was employed to teach a school near Weldon, and was to have begun last Monday morning. On Sunday he drove over to Weldon and spent the day there in company with a young lady and in the evening attended Bro. Davenport's church with her. About nine o'clock he left the family he was visiting, telling them that he would drive over to the home where he was to board during his term of teaching school. He did not go there but drove back to his father's house, about one mile south of Clinton, and put up his horse. Where he spent the night no one knows; but Monday morning his father found the horse in the barn and feeling uneasy a search was made to find Fred. Finally they came to the conclusion that he had brought the horse home and had returned to Weldon. About ten o'clock Mrs. JOHNSON heard the crack of a pistol and thinking some one was shooting chickens she went out to the barn but could see no one. Search was again made for Fred and he was found lying dead in the carriage house, with a revolver in his hand. He fired a thirty-eight caliber ball into his right temple and it pierced through his heard and came out back of the left ear.

Fred Johnson was of a very sensitive nature, and from what we can gather, something had happened to wound his feelings. For a day or two he had been very melancholy; and in speaking to a friend gave a hint of his troubles. He left the following letter, written in a new memorandum book:

"Dear Father, Mother and Sisters,
It causes me the greatest pain and a terrible feeling to think of leaving you in this way, but life is no pleasure for me now. I hope that you will take what I have and use it to your best advantage. Be sure and look carefully after my insurance policies. My wish is to have Mr. MacArthur conduct the funeral services. I had never thought of ending my life in this way until two days ago."

He was the only son and was very affectionate to his father and mother and sisters. It is very evident that Fred had been contemplating matrimony in the near future, for he had insured his life for $3000 in the Mutual Life of New York.

He was a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Modern Woodmen. The Knights of Weldon and Clinton attended the funeral and the beautiful ceremony of the order was performed at the grave by Rev. W. I. DAVENPORT, of Weldon.


September 8, 1893
Clinton Public

Some thirty Knights of Pythias came down from Weldon last Tuesday to attend the funeral of Knight Frederick William JOHNSON, who had been a member of their lodge for two years or more. Rev. W. I. DAVENPORT, V.C., took the Prelate's part and read the burial service very impressively. Rev. W. A. HUNTER, D.D., a member of Plantagenet Lodge, this city, assisted in the funeral services at the Baptist Church, which were conducted by the Rev. Duncan MacARTHUR. Mr. MacArthur was at a disadvantage in pronouncing the eulogy over the coffin, as his time was limited in order that the Weldon Knights could return to their home. Superintendent BAILEY held the train as late as it was possible to make the connections at Champaign.


February 20, 1868
Clinton Public

DIED.—In Waynesville, Feb. 4th, 1868, at the residence of his son, Mr. Jacob JOHNSON, formerly of Long Point, aged seventy-five years.

Mrs. James JOHNSON 

January 1, 1892
Clinton Register

Mrs. James JOHNSON, nee Mahala NICHOLS, took sick on Saturday and died Sunday afternoon at six o'clock, aged sixty-five years.  She resided with her husband about three miles east of town.  The remains were interred in the Rock Creek cemetery Tuesday.  She leaves a husband and seven grown children.  Mr. Johnson and his wife were the first couple in this locality that was married in DeWitt county.  Their married life extends over 50 years.  She was a good mother, a kind wife and respected and loved by all who knew her.


August 4, 1893
Clinton Public

Over the Hill to the Poor House.
And Then to a Suicide's Grave.
Death of John Johnson.

Away back more than half a century ago John JOHNSON settled in what is now DeWitt Township, in this county, and was a successful farmer and trader.  He accumulated large tracts of land, much of which afterwards passed into the ownership of the Magill Bros., and in his day was considered the wealthiest farmer in this county.   He had an excellent wife who was as prudent in management as her husband.  Just about he beginning of the war John Johnson determined to sell his lands in this county and invest his money in cheaper land down in Carlisle, Clinton County, in this State.  When he sold his property in DeWitt he had more than $30,000 in cash, which in those days was considered a comfortable fortune.  Millionaires or even hundred thousand dollar men were scarce in those days.  The possession of so much wealth evidently turned John Johnson’s head and in an evil hour he sought pleasure in spirituous liquors and in shameless women.  His good wife bore the disgrace till forbearance ceased to be a virtue, and she finally sought relief in the divorce court.  Mrs. JOHNSON had a young daughter who afterward married a prosperous farmer in this county.   The old lady was a close manager, and when she died she left her daughter an estate worth from $10,000 to $15,000.

After Johnson was separated from his wife he married the woman who broke up his home and guided his feet into the path of ruin.  From bad to worse he went till all of his property was gone, and in his later years he was compelled to return to this county and live as a renter on some of the rich land he owned away back early in the forties.

Some four or five weeks ago John Johnson was sent to the poor farm at Hallsville.  He had been a county charge for two years or more.  The unfortunate man had been afflicted with a cancer on his chin which had eaten into his mouth and throat.&nbps; Life had no charm for him; he was helpless and old, being in his eightieth year, and had neither friends nor money.  His dissipated life had made him a stranger to those who could and would have helped him under other circumstances.  The cancer was eating away his life by inches.  Who can blame him for hurrying up the end.  On last Sunday morning the body of John Johnson was found hanging in Lewis Batson’s barn, one mile east of the village of DeWitt.

The life that began with prosperity in this county more than half a century ago, when John Johnson was an honored and respected citizen, went out in gloom at the age of eighty years.  Whisky and women wrought John Johnson’s ruin.  His sad end is an object lesson for young men who are entering upon the voyage of life.  Learn from the life of John Johnson.


Funeral Card

Died at his home near Greenleaf, two and a half miles southwest of Farmer City, on Thursday, February 4th 1897, at 3:30 o'clock p.m., John JOHNSON, aged 79 years, 2 months, and 22 days. Funeral: residence, February 6th. Burial Greenleaf Cemetery.

Submitted by Unknown


January 3, 1908
Clinton Register


It was with great surprise and deep pain that the many friends of "Johnnie" JOHNSON learned of his death last Tuesday, as a few days before he had been in good health. Only the Thursday before had he shown any symptoms of the sickness which in so short a time was to prove fatal, and which baffled the skill of his physicians to successfully diagnose.

J. B. Johnson was born in Macon county in 1863, his parents having moved from Ohio to that county shortly before his birth. At an early age he was left without home or parents but pluckily began the battle of life. Some 12 years ago he entered the service of the Illinois Central as fireman and before long he had won an engine by his capability and trustiness.

In 1902 he was united in marriage to Miss Katherine FLYNN. For a time they conducted a restaurant on the north side of the square from which they retired about a year ago. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. Funeral was held this afternoon from the Presbyterian church, conducted by Rev. S. C. Black.


February 22, 1884
Clinton Public

John J. JOHNSON, who moved from the neighborhood of Midland City to Dade county, Missouri, about three weeks ago, was drowned a few days ago while attempting to ford a stream. The water was running swiftly at the time, and is supposed that his horse became affrighted and threw him. Mr. Johnson leaves a wife and one child.

Mrs. Kenneth JOHNSON 

April 21, 1893
Clinton Public

On Tuesday, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank Banta, occurred the death of Mrs. Lydia JOHNSON, widow of the late Kenneth JOHNSON, aged eighty- three years.  Funeral on Friday, at the Christian Church.

Mrs. Mary JOHNSON 

April 17, 1891
Clinton Public

This morning, at the home of Mr. William GRIFFIN, master mechanic in the Central shops, Mrs. Mary JOHNSON departed this life in the fullness of years, she being in her eighty-third year. She was the mother of Mrs. Griffin, and had made her home with her daughter ever since her marriage to Mr. Griffin. Mrs. Johnson was born in Ohio and she was married and her three daughters were born in that State. Her husband died about thirty-five years ago, and a short time after she moved to Dubuque, Iowa, where she lived till Mr. Griffin was transferred from Dubuque to the charge of the Central shops in this city. Mrs. Johnson's oldest daughter is buried in Dubuque, and it was the request of the old lady that she be buried by the side of her. The body will be taken to Dubuque on the express train tonight. The old lady was sick for only ten days. Death was the result of old age.


November 17, 1911
Clinton Register


Robert JOHNSON died at 10:30 Saturday morning at his home in Farmer City.  He had been in ill health for some time but was taken worse Tuesday.  Deceased was 60 years old and is survived by his wife and one daughter, Mrs. Fred. DRUMMER.  The funeral was held at the late home Monday at 2:30.  Burial was in Maple Grove cemetery.


Funeral Card

Thomas JOHNSON-Died, at his home in this city, Thursday evening, Feb. 10, 1898, at 5:15, Thomas JOHNSON, aged 84 years and 5 months. Funeral: M.E. Church, Feb. 12. Burial M.E. Cemetery.

Submitted by Unknown

Thomas A. JOHNSON 

December 28, 1883
Clinton Public

Thomas A. Johnson, of Bloomington, Takes His Own Life at the Magill House.

Thomas A. JOHNSON was a young man, aged thirty-three years, who had grown from childhood to manhood in and around the city of Bloomington. His father, Captain JOHNSON, is a man of some means, and he lives in Normal. Thomas Johnson was the owner of a feed and sale stable in Bloomington, and devoted his personal attention to the buying and selling of stock. Some time ago he met with heavy losses by the burning of one of his stables, in which several valuable horses were destroyed. While his loss was great at that time, yet he was a young man of business energy, and his losses only nerved him up and made him more determined to retrieve his fallen fortunes. He was unmarried, had no bad or extravagant habits, and did not use liquor or even tobacco in any form. Then he had his father's credit to back him, so that his prospects were as bright as that of any business man in McLean county.

On Christmas he spent the day with his father and mother in Normal, and he seemed to be as joyous and happy as any member of the family. In the afternoon he was out sleigh-riding. Wednesday morning he left Bloomington on the Illinois Central road, and came to Clinton, arriving here a little before nine o'clock. He rode up from the depot to the Magill House in a carriage, and at the hotel asked for a room with a fire in it. This was provided for him, and when Mr. Johnson was shown to his room he called for a pitcher of water and a glass, and when this was sent up he told the porter not to disturb him for dinner if he did not wake up himself. Nothing was thought of this, as it is an almost every-day occurrence at hotels for men wearied with travel to seek a few hours' rest and sleep. At supper time Mr. MARIS, the landlord of the Magill House, told his son-in-law that he had better wake the stranger, so that he might have supper. Mr. WEAVER went upstairs and rapped on the door, and receiving no answer he kicked at it till the key on the inside dropped from the lock. Then Mr. Weaver got the pass-key and tried to unlock the door, but he found that it was bolted on the inside. The transom over the door was also fastened, and as the inside of the room was dark, Mr. Weaver could not see anything. Mr. Maris became alarmed, and sent Mr. Weaver out on the roof of the kitchen and told him to open the window and get in. Weaver did so, and when he got into the room and turned down the bed-clothes he found that the man was cold. Speedily unbolting the door and getting a light, a number returned to the room and found that Johnson was dead.

The coroner was at once notified, and he took possession of the body and the effects belonging to Mr. Johnson. In his pockets were a number of letters and papers which identified him as belonging to Bloomington. When he registered at the hotel in the morning he wrote his name as Jones, and gave his residence as Chicago. Besides the papers, Johnson had a valuable gold watch and nearly $22 in money. In the room was found a part of a bottle of aconite and on the floor was some whitish-looking powder. In the bottom of the glass from which he had drank the fatal draught were the dregs of some of the whitish powder.

Word was at once telephoned to Bloomington to learn if anyone there knew him, to which answer was immediately returned, stating who he was. His father was at once notified, and he sent word to the coroner to take proper care of the body and he would come to Clinton by the first train in the morning.

The coroner impaneled a jury and opened the inquest, when the body was removed from the hotel to the council chamber. The inquest was then adjourned till the arrival of the friends of the deceased yesterday morning. There was not much light to be thrown upon the tragedy by the investigation. The man was dead; the aconite and whitish powder silently testified as to the means of death, and the only conclusion of the jury could be that he died from taking poison.

No reason for the rash act could be given beyond the fact that on the day Johnson came to Clinton to commit suicide the sheriff of McLean county had, later in the day, levied on his stable and stock for a claim of $1,000. This he could have easily met, as his father was ready and able to pay the amount. It is hardly possible that a slight embarrassment of that kind would cause a hopeful young man like Johnson to take his own life. There is something deeper than financial embarrassment, and probably the secret will be buried with him. Yesterday afternoon the body was taken to Bloomington for interment.

William D. JOHNSON 

October 23, 1896
Clinton Public

An autopsy held on the body of W. H.[D.] JOHNSON, who died suddenly Monday in Farmer City, disclosed the fact that he was a victim of heart disease. Mr. Johnson had been putting away vegetables and otherwise preparing for winter. He had been down town, but just returned and was carrying in a bucket of coal for his wife when he dropped dead. He was born in Farmer City, was a frugal, industrious citizen, and, as a mark of his standing, on Wednesday of last week was chosen to the high office of noble grand of the Farmer City lodge of Odd Fellows. The deceased leaves a wife and three children with a comfortable little home to shelter them.

Note: This is William D. Johnson, not W. H. Johnson.


October 1896
Funeral Card

William D. JOHNSON died at his home in Farmer City, at 2 p.m., October 19, 1896, aged 48 years, 5 months, 25 days. Funeral: M.E. Church, October 21st. Burial Camp Ground Cemetery.

Submitted by Bob Halsey

Winifred JOHNSON 

August 1896
Funeral Card

Died at home in this city, August 8, 1896, 2:45 p.m., Winifred JOHNSON, daughter of W. D. JOHNSON, aged 20 years, 5 months, 2 days. Funeral: at home, August 10th. Burial: City Cemetery.

Submitted by Bob Halsey


July 10, 1891
Clinton Public

James M. JOHNSTON committed suicide last Sunday morning by shooting himself. He was a prosperous young farmer, aged thirty years, and owned a farm one mile west of Midland City. He left a wife and two children. There was no reason for his self destruction except that he had been moody on account of his health.


January 1, 1897
Clinton Register

Grandma Johnson Passes Away.

At the advanced age of 80 years, 10 months and 25 days, at the home of her son, W. W. JOHNSON, in Kenney, Dec. 27, Mary J. JOHNSON, nee McCLIMANS, passed to the better world after a short illness. She was born in Ohio, June 59(?), 1816. In 1842 she united in marriage with John JOHNSON [JOHNSTON]. Of this union 5 children were born, two of whom died in infancy. Those living are Isaac, William W. and Margaret, now Mrs. Geo. MITCHELL. The husband of the deceased died in 1868, since which time Grandma has lived with her son William. In 1836, when 20 years of age, she united with the M. E. church of which she was a member for 60 years. The funeral services were conducted in the Christian church, conducted by Rev. G. W. Hughes, interment in Howard cemetery. No words can portray the Godly, sainted life of beloved Grandma Johnson. For years she had been feeble but she never complained. A sweet smile always greeted you and Christian faith beamed from her pious countenance. As she goes to enjoy her reward a ray of sunshine is taken from those with whom she held daily communion.

Note: Her last name was JOHNSTON, not Johnson, and she was buried in Tunbridge Cemetery.

JONES (child) 

June 2, 1893
Clinton Public


Ed. JONES’ two-year-old child got hold of some concentrated lye on Monday, and swallowed a part of it.  On Tuesday night it died in great agony.  Mr. Jones lives on Mr. Tackwell’s farm in Wilson.


June 2, 1893
Clinton Public


The funeral of the little daughter of E. S. JONES and wife occurred at the Rose cemetery Wednesday evening.  The child was not quite one year old.  Mrs. Jones had a box of concentrated lye sitting on the table Saturday evening and the baby climbed on a chair and drank the lye.  This caused its death on Tuesday night.  What misery the baby suffered no one knows.  The parents have the sympathy of their many friends in their bereavement.

Allen JONES 

January 7, 1887
Clinton Public

The Death Roll.

Allen JONES, who for more than thirty years was a resident of Clinton, died on last Saturday, January 1. He was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, on the 12th of July, 1805, and at his death he was in his eighty-sixth year. When Allen Jones was a lad, his father moved to Madison county, Ohio, and there he lived till 1855, when he came to Clinton. Mr. Jones was a wagon maker by trade, but he did not work at the business many years. In early life he was prominent in the politics of Madison county, and the greater part of the time he held some paying office. He served a term or two as justice of the peace, and at one time was before the people of Madison county as a candidate for the Ohio legislature. Four years after he came to Clinton he was elected justice of the peace, which office he held for two terms. Mr. Jones was twice married and was the father of twenty-one children, seventeen of whom are still living. Seven of his sons served in the Union army during the war.

Charles J. JONES 

December 1, 1899
Clinton Register

Charles J. JONES died Monday morning at 5:30 at the home of his parents, C. L. JONES, of Maroa. He had been suffering for a long time with diabetes, but was taken much worse about two weeks ago. He was an undertaker and was in charge of an establishment at Leroy, but owning to failing health, was compelled to give it up about a year ago and returned to his parents' home. He was 24 years old. He was married about 4 years ago to Miss Daisy COVAULT, and the widow, with a daughter 3 years old, survives. One sister, Mrs. Albert DAVIDSON, also survives. Mr. Jones graduated from the Maroa high school in the class of '94. He was a member of the Court of Honor and carried $1,000 insurance in the order. The funeral was Wednesday at 2 p.m. and the remains interred in Maroa cemetery.

Submitted by Sheryl Byrd

Charles W. JONES 

December 2, 1904
Clinton Register

Charles W. Jones Passed Away at His Home Near Waynesville After a Brief Illness.

Death has claimed another of the leading farmers of DeWitt county.  C. W. JONES died at his home near Waynesville Saturday night of pneumonia, being sick about two weeks.

Charles W. Jones was born Feb. 13, 1842, on the farm on which he spent all his life.  He remained with his father, Col. John B. JONES, until June 1861, when he enlisted in Co. E, 7th Ill. Inf., and after serving his time re-enlisted, becoming a member of Co. D of the 8th Missouri, under Capt. Giles Smith, and served until discharge Dec. 29, 1863, on account of sickness.

His first marriage was to Miss Elizabeth H. SMITH after his return from the war.  She died about seven years later, and he was married to Miss Sarah VINSON.  To them five children were born.  They were John, Rachel, Charles, Ella and Ida; Rachel, wife of Wilson BROCK, living in Nebraska.

He served as supervisor two terms, and always took an active interest in politics, being an outspoken Democrat.  He was twice delegate to state conventions, and was always among the leaders in his township.  Mr. Jones was progressive and had a fine farm which he had conducted many years.

Funeral was held Monday at the home and burial was in Waynesville Cemetery.

Chester O. JONES 

June 13, 1884
Clinton Public

Chester O. Jones Takes His Own Life.

For months past it was evident that Chester O. JONES was of unsound mind. In January, 1883, he was confined to his bed by a severe attack of sickness, during which time his mind seemed to be greatly affected. For some four or five months afterward he was totally unfitted for business, and indeed from that time on he never fully recovered. He became despondent and constantly talked about his prospects of becoming a pauper. He was the owner of the hardware store which was conducted under his name, and the store was doing a fair business. Early in April his symptoms of insanity became more alarming. His father and mother could not believe that there was anything serious in his condition, but his brother Tracey was not to be blinded to the danger which threatened Chester. Tracey presented the case to Judge GRAHAM, and at Tracey's insistence the Judge impaneled a jury to investigate Chester's mental condition. The jury was satisfied from the proof as well as Chester's personal actions while before them that his was a clear case of insanity, and they brought in a verdict to that effect and recommended that he be sent to an insane asylum for treatment. His father and mother would not yet believe there was any necessity of sending their boy away from home, even when they were urged to do so by the family physician. They thought that familiar scenes of home would do more to restore Chester's mind than would confinement in an asylum. Chester also demurred to being sent away from home, and his parents let him have his way.

Day after day he would wander away from home and walk till wearied out, then he would return. Last week he heard that his brother Stein had lost all of his money at Hot Springs by the failure of a bank, and this seemed to arouse in him an interest. On Thursday morning of last week Chester left Clinton on the nine o'clock train for Decatur. As soon as he got off the cars he went direct to Mueller's gun-shop, where he purchased a revolver for $2.75. For some weeks past all of the revolvers in Jones' store had been carefully put away by his father so that Chester could not get possession of one. At the gun-shop he gave his name as Charles ROBINSON. He then went to Millikin's bank and bought a draft for $85, also in the name of Charles Robinson, which he sent to his brother Stein at Hot Springs. After leaving the bank all trace of Chester was lost in Decatur.

When he did not return home on Thursday night or Friday morning his parents and brother became uneasy about him. Tracey went to Decatur, but could not hear anything about him. On his return home Tracey sent telegrams in every direction. On Monday Tracey again went to Decatur and a thorough search was made for the missing Chester. In the evening a farm hand came riding into Decatur in search of the coroner; he had found a corpse in the pasture field. Tracey went out with the coroner, and as soon as he saw the clothing he recognized it as belonging to his brother.

Three miles south-west of Decatur, on the Wabash railroad, a long bridge spans the Sangamon river. On one side of this bridge is a pasture field owned by a Mr. FLETCHER. To this place Chester wandered after he left Millikin's bank, and selecting a spot about half a mile from the bridge, in a ravine, he drew four of the cartridges from his revolver, and with the fifth one he took his own life. From the position in which the body was found Chester must have sat down with his back resting against a tree, and then placing the muzzle of the revolver directly in front of his heart he fired the shot that was to release him from all of his imaginary trouble in this world. The body could not have been recognized were it not for the clothing, for decomposition had already set in. The coroner impaneled a jury and held an inquest, the verdict being in accordance with the facts stated above.

The remains were placed in a casket and on Tuesday were brought to Clinton. It was impossible to keep the body any longer, so the friends deemed it prudent and advisable to have it buried at once, and the funeral took place immediately after the arrival of the early morning train.

Chester O. Jones was born in Xenia, Ohio, on th 16th of July 1848. When he was but ten years of age his parents came to Clinton, where he resided during life. For the past twelve or fourteen years he had been the nominal owner of the hardware and tin business, which was carried on in his name.

Cyrus JONES 

June 30, 1917
Clinton Daily Public

Was Man Who Lived Honorable and Worthy Life—
Funeral Sunday Afternoon.

Cyrus JONES, 708 East Washington street, and veteran of the Civil war, died in his home last night shortly before midnight following a long period of ill health. Mr. Jones' death came suddenly after he had grown worse during the early part of the evening. He lapsed into unconsciousness and remained in that condition until death.

Mr. Jones was among the veterans of the Civil war now in Clinton and was one of the men who have filled many places of responsibility in the country during his past years of residence here.

Deceased was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Allen JONES and came to DeWitt county in 1855 from Madison county, Ohio, where he was born. During the early days of his life, as a boy, he engaged in agricultural pursuits. When the call came he enlisted in August 1862, as a private in Company B, One Hundred and Seventh Illinois volunteer infantry. He participated in a number of engagements and was in the service until the close of the war in 1865 when he was honorably discharged.

On his return to Clinton, Mr. Jones engaged in the trade of building fences, picket and fancy fences being his specialty. It is said Mr. Jones built more fences in DeWitt county than any other man.

He was married to Miss Isabelle BATES, a native of Ohio. After their marriage they returned to Clinton to make their home, when Mr. Jones purchased the former Lydia Taylor property at 708 East Washington street which has since been their home. Fire practically destroyed the old home during the past winter and it was rebuilt and just recently finished for occupation.

Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Jones, who with the aged wife survive. The children are Herbert C. JONES, of Centralia; Carl JONES, of Wenatchee, Wash.; Lottie and Nettie JONES, at home; Mrs. Mabel Jones PITTS, of Bloomington, and Mrs. Merit WILLIAMS, of Clinton. He is also survived by two brothers, Samuel JONES, of Chicago, and J. Q. JONES, of Farmer City. A sister, Mrs. Lucretia LUDWICK, of Springfield, preceded her brother in death in less than a week, her death having occurred last Monday.

Mr. Jones was a member of the Methodist church and a prominent member of the G. A. R. post of Clinton, of which he was trustee for several years. In politics he was a staunch Republican and was elected coroner of DeWitt county in 1888, 1892 and 1900.

The funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the Methodist church. Rev. A. M. Wells, pastor, will officiate and the regular choir will sing.

DeWitt C. JONES 

July 1, 1887
Clinton Public

Death of DeWitt C. Jones.

For thirty-one years the name of "Clint" JONES has been as well known around this county as the name of the town in which he lived. No man was more skilled in the tinner's or copersmith's art than was D. C. JONES, and the work he did is the best proof of his honesty, as a business man. He came from Xenia, Ohio, in the fall of 1856 and located here in business. For a time he was in partnership with his brother-in-law, A. P. ATHERTON, and did business in a building that stood where the MAGILL House now is. Their store was burned out and the firm lost nearly everything. After the fire, Mr. Jones built a store on the southwest corner of the square, and there he did business for more than a quarter of a century. His later years were not pleasant to him for he suffered severe bodily affliction; and to secure relief from his pains he became addicted to the use of morphine. The habit became fastened on him, and try as he would he could not shake it off. About the beginning of this year the sight and taste of morphine became repulsive to him and he was compelled to forego its use. From that time his physical condition became worse, till finally his mind lost its balance and it was deemed advisable by his physician and his family to send him to the hospital at Jacksonville for treatment. He was conscious at the time that it was best for him to go to the hospital, but after he got there, this life substantially became a blank to him. The physician at the hospital had no hopes in his case from the first, and the regular notices received by his family since he entered the institution have been warnings to prepare for the worst. Wednesday evening a dispatch came that he was sinking rapidly, and this was followed yesterday morning by an announcement of his death. One of his sons started for Jacksonville last evening, and the body will arrive here this morning. The funeral will be from his late residence this afternoon, at two o'clock.

DeWitt C. Jones was born in Huntington county, Pennsylvania, on the 18th of January, 1824. His father died when Mr. Jones was but a lad, and at the early age of eleven years he had to begin the battle of life. He learned the trade of tinner and coppersmith, and was a master workman. His life in Clinton has been an open record for the past thirty-one years, and we doubt if one can be found who has an unkind word to say of "Clint" Jones. He was the father of eight children, five of whom, with his wife, are still living.


February 14, 1879
Clinton Public

Miss Eva JONES, till within a few weeks ago a popular teacher in the Clinton Public schools, died on Thursday of last week, at Clinton, Missouri, of brain fever. We have heard none of the particulars further than that Miss Jones was sick but a few days and that her death was very sudden. She was the daughter of Mr. John A. JONES, who removed his family to Clinton, Mo., but recently.

Jacob JONES 

June 25, 1909
Clinton Register


Jake JONES, living one mile and a half north of Midland City, died on Saturday evening at 5:00 o'clock at the age of 88 years.  This is the last one of a colony that came to settle Illinois about 1850.  It consisted of Jake Jones, who has always been a bachelor, his brother John JONES and wife, Thos. MADDOX and wife, Billie TEAL and wife, J. W. WASSON and wife, Chas. SMITH and wife and Joe LEONARD and wife.  All of these have large families of children most of them being married and gone.  They settled in this country about ten miles from Lincoln which was at that time known as Postville and about the same distance from Atlanta which was then known as New Castle.

In going from their farms to these places there were only one or two houses on the road, there being no public road in most of the places, and they drove angling across the prairie in the fall of the year, the prairie grass was from 6 to 8 feet high.  It was no uncommon thing to see wolves and deer along the line.

When Jones first visited this country he went back to Gibson county, Indiana, at which place they all formerly lived, and he made the remark that he would not give the horse he rode here and back, a distance of some 200 miles, for all the Illinois land he could see both ways.  He afterwards changed his mind and when he died had an interest in something like 600 acres of the best land in DeWitt county.  He was loved and respected by all who knew him and will be greatly missed in the neighborhood, having lived there for most of sixty years.  His funeral will be held from the home of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Pamela [Parmelia] JONES, where he has always lived.  Interment at Waynesville.

The only women that are living of the colony are Mrs. Nancy TEAL, Mrs. Pamela [Parmelia] Jones and Mrs. Caroline WASSON.  The first two still living in the same neighborhood and the latter in Lincoln.


September 26, 1902
Clinton Register


John JONES, one of the oldest residents of Barnett township, died Monday forenoon, aged 77 years, 6 months, 9 days.  He was well known in the west part of the county, and was highly respected by all who knew him.  He is survived by his wife, six children, all grown, and one brother, Jacob, who lives near Midland.  The children are Mrs. Guy RANDOLPH, of Warrensburg; Mrs. Thos. MARVEL, near Waynesville; Miss Martha, at home; Warrick, Charles and another son who lived with his parents.  Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church, Waynesville, Wednesday at 2:30.  Burial in Evergreen cemetery near Waynesville.

Mrs. Lucy JONES 

June 19, 1908
Clinton Register

Mrs. Lucy Patton JONES died Sunday at her home in Manchester, Tennessee, aged 45 years.  She was formerly a resident of Heyworth and is survived by her husband and eight children, among whom are Mrs. P. A. SCOGIN of Wapella.   Remains were brought to Heyworth for interment.


October 18, 1889
Clinton Public

Mary Hannah, daughter of Jesse and Mary EVANS and wife of Wm. K. JONES, was born in Lowden [sic] county, Va., September 12, 1828, and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. S. M. POLLOCK, in Green Valley community at 3:30 o'clock Sabbath morning, September 15, 1889, aged 61 years and 3 days. She was cradled in a home of Christian influences, and was early impressed with the importance of a practical religion by her father who was a class leader in the M. E. Church for 30 years. On March 21, 1841, she was joined in marriage with her surviving husband. There were three children born to them in Virginia, Annie C., Sarah J. and John T. After nine years residence in the land of her birth and marriage, she removed with her family in the spring of 1858 to Piedmont, W. Va., and thence in the spring of 1859 to Mechanicsburg, Ohio. Here there were born to them three children, William, Jas. F. and Mary M. In 1865 they removed to DeWitt county, Ill., where three children were born to them, Jesse O., Theresa and Susan E. Of a family of nine children, six preceded her to the other life. The earthly pilgrimage of sister Jones was a difficult one intermingled with many hardships. The marriage on the part of the husband seems to have been infelicitous; consequently in January 1884 he left his wife and is now living somewhere in Missouri, while sister Jones in the meantime has been making her home with her daughter, where she died. She was a truly virtuous and loyal wife to the hour of her departure from earth. Afflicted with nervous neuralgia and spinal disease, she was a great sufferer during recent years and was at last claimed by them as their victim. She was converted and united with the Green Valley M. E. Church under the labors of Rev. L. A. POWELL, February 15, 1885. Retaining to the last a strong faith in the Redeemer of her soul, she passed away in the hush of the early Sabbath morning to spend its meridian splendor in the never ending Sabbath of celestial glory in "The Home Over There." She was laid to rest in Woodlawn Cemetery during the absence of the pastor at Conference and is now awaiting the glorious resurrection. J. E. ARTZ

Mrs. Nancy JONES 

March 23, 1888
Clinton Public

Died, on the 13th inst., Mrs. Nancy JONES, aged 71 years, 5 months and 13 days. The deceased was born in Montgomery county, Kentucky, September 19, 1816, and at the age of 17 moved with her parents to Johnson county, Indiana, where she was afterward married to James S. JONES. In 1851 they moved to DeWitt county and settled on the farm where she died. Her husband preceded her to the better world some fourteen years. The deceased always lived a consistent Christian life and died in the full hope of the resurrection of the body and immortality of the soul. The funeral discourse was delivered by Rev. NORRIS, of the C. P. Church, of which she was a member, from the text, "I shall be satisfied when I awake with Thy likeness." The deceased leaves a large circle of friends who mourn her departure. Among them are six children, for here and two in Kansas.


April 7, 1882
Clinton Public

Died in DeWitt, March 21, 1882, Mrs. Nancy JONES, aged 67 years, 1 month and 15 days. Mrs. Jones was born in Clark county, Ohio, February 6, 1813, and came to Illinois in 1835. In 1838 she was united in marriage to Arthur JONES, and afterward lived in DeWitt until her death. Mr. Jones died nearly eight years ago, one child in infancy. Three sons and three daughters survive her. More than forty-five years ago Mrs. Jones embraced the religion of Christ and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Afterward she and her husband united with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in which she remained until her death. The Savior to her was a present help in time of need. She knew whom she believed, and felt as she approached the end of her life that Jesus was with her, and underneath were His everlasting arms. She was a lover of the Bible and all the means of grace. She delighted in public services and the worship of God. And thus the righteous die, leaving behind them a bright example and a blessed testimony. An affectionate mother and a good neighbor has left us. The funeral services were largely attended, and the deep sympathy manifested by friends was highly appreciated by the sorrowing ones.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:

Preston JONES 

July 4, 1913
Farmer City Journal

Last Friday forenoon at 10:30 o'clock the long illness so patiently borne of Preston JONES came to an end and he peacefully sank into rest at his home on the north boundary of this city, aged 82 years, 8 months and 15 days. For two months or more he had been bedfast and during the past year his health was poor and failing steadily. "Uncle Pres" did not complain, however, and was glad to meet and hold communion with his friends while ailing and he had been in health. His kind heart, genial disposition, honesty, patience and even temper were fully appreciated in this community and the feeling is that we have lost much in the passing of this old citizen.

The funeral service was held on Sunday afternoon in the M. E. church, Rev. Thos. H. TULL conducted it. burial took place in Maple Grove cemetery. Farmer City Lodge No. 710, A.F. & A.M. had charge of the service, the G.A.R. and S. of V. members acting as escort. The pall bearers were J.M. REED, Charles WEBB, W.R. PARRETT, F.H. COX, C.W. LINDSEY and J.E. HYATT. The hymns were sung by Mrs. F.H. REED, Miss Beulah TULL, C.F. SCHOLER and J.R. EWBANK.

Preston Jones was born in Cumberland County, Tenn., on November 12, 1831, his parents being John and Elizabeth (FULLINGTON) JONES. His father was a native of Virginia and a son of William and Susan JONES, who were also born in that state. By occupation William Jones was a carpenter. During the Revolutionary War he entered the service as a courier, carrying dispatches for the officers. He died in Overton County, Tenn., at the advanced age of 85 years, and his wife survived him only six months, being over 80 years of age at the time of her death.

The maternal grandparents of Preston Jones were David and Susan FULLINGTON, lifelong residents of Tennessee, their home being in Tazewell county, where David Jones was engaged in business as a hatter and powder manufacturer. John Jones, father of Preston Jones accompanied his parents on their removal from Virginia to Kentucky, of which state they became pioneers and he afterward settled in Tennessee, where he was married. In 1838 he brought his wife and children to Illinois and settled in Santa Anna Township, DeWitt county, where he purchased land and also took up a government tract, continuing to make his home here until called to his final rest at the age of 88 years. His wife survived him three years and was 85 years old at the time of her death, which occurred at the home of her son Preston.

Since the age of 7 years, Preston Jones was a resident of Illinois and upon his father's farm in Santa Anna township he grew to manhood, pursuing his studies in an old fashioned subscription school. He experienced many of the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life and early acquired an excellent knowledge of farming, to which he devoted his time and attention for many years. After attaining his majority he left the parental roof and engaged in the operation of rented land for two years and also improved and cultivated a tract of 80 acres in Santa Anna township which his father had entered for him. He was successful in his farming operations, and as his financial resources increased his added to his property from time to time until he owned over 500 acres. He continued the cultivation of this land until 1896, when he rented the farm of his son Frank and moved into Farmer City to live in the enjoyment of a well earned rest.

When the country became involved in civil war, Mr. Jones entered the union service, enlisting in August 1862, in company I, 107th Illinois infantry, and remaining at the front until hostilities ceased. He enlisted as a private, but when discharged was holding the rank of second lieutenant. He participated in the siege of Knoxville, the Atlanta campaign, the battles of Franklin and Nashville, Tenn., and was later sent to Washington, D.C. For a time he was stationed Wilmington, N.C. and was at Raleigh when Johnson surrendered to Gen. Sherman. He took part in a number of hard fought engagements and numerous skirmishes. When the was ended and he was no longer needed he returned home and resumed farming.

In July, 1852, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Mary JOHNSON, daughter of Matthew and Margaret JOHNSON, and they became the parents of three children Cynthia, Bell Movel, who died in Kansas and who married Samuel Hoover and who's death took place in Iowa; Albert, now living in Canada. The mother of those children passed away in 1866.

On November 12, 1867, Mr. Jones was again married, his second union being with Miss Laura A. RIGGS, daughter of Jackson and Charlotte RIGGS. The following children were born to this marriage, all of whom with the mother, survive: William H. now in the Klondike; Bertha M. BUS, Viola COOK and Dora Pears FARMER of Los Angeles, Cal; Frank P., Flora May McCLURE, John, Charlotte E. LEIGHTY and Darrel LANCE of Farmer City.

Deceased joined the United Brethren church when a young man. In 1868 he became a member of the Masonic faternity and long was a valued and useful figure in the ceremonies of the local society. He was also a member of the O.E.S. and for twenty five years he was a faithful and helpful comrade of Lemon post G.A.R. Politically he affiliated with the Democratic party and was often elected to township office in this Republican stronghold, most frequently as commissioner of highways; a testimonial to his popularity and the faith reposed in his judgment. He was a relative of John Paul JONES, the noted sea captain of revolutionary times.

Submitted by Trish Couture

Smith D. JONES 

November 30, 1906
Clinton Register

S. D. JONES, an old resident of Farmer City, died Saturday, aged nearly ninety. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. White. The Masons conducted services at the grave.

Mrs. Smith D. JONES 

February 12, 1904
Clinton Register


Mrs. S. D. JONES died Friday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. E. L. PORTER, in Parnell, aged 84 years, 11 months and 8 days. The deceased’s maiden name was Nancy LOWRY and she was born in Kentucky Feb. 27, 1819. She was married to S. D. JONES, who is 84 years old and survives her. They were parents of 14 children, 11 of them living. Those who live in the county are Frank, near Farmer City; Misses Ada and Ella, of Parnell; F. L. and W. H. JONES live at Oxford, Kan.; Mrs. SCHOOLY and Mrs. BURKERD in Nebraska; Mrs. CROUCH and Mrs. WILLIAMS in Kansas; and Mrs. POOL in Norman, Ok. Her sister, Mrs. W. L. DRYBREAD, lives in Farmer City.

Note: Her husband's full name was Smith D. Jones.

Uriah F. JONES 

November 22, 1898
Paper Unknown

Uriah F. JONES died at home, on Tuesday, November 22, 1898, at 3:30 a.m., aged 59 years, 7 months, 19 days. Funeral: M.E. Church in Parnell, IL., November 24th. Burial: Camp Ground Cemetery.

Submitted by Unknown

Mrs. William H. JONES 

March 21, 1872
Clinton Public

OBITUARY.—Polly JONES, daughter of Joshua CANTRALL, Sr., was born February 8, 1810, in Bourbon Co., Ky.  In December, 1811, her parents removed to Ohio, where they remained about twenty-four years.  In 1830, during an extensive religious awakening, she professed faith in Christ, and with about eighty others united with the Presbyterian church on Buck creek, Champaign county, Ohio.  For almost forty-two years she was a consistent disciple of Jesus.  With her parents she removed to Waynesville, in the fall of 1835.  At that time the region round about was an uncultivated wild; and it was thought the prairie would be unoccupied for generations.   She lived to see it all settled up, and dotted here and there with school-houses and churches.  When the Presbyterian church was organized in Waynesville she was one of the first members; here her church relationship continued the remainder of her life.   May, 1839, she was married to Wm. JONES, theirs being the first license issued in DeWitt county.  On March 10th, 1872, her spirit was released from the tenement of clay.  So sudden was the departure that her friends anticipated not the closing scene.  “She is gone,” was the unexpected message borne to them.  The funeral was attended at the residence near Hallsville, by a large circle of relatives and friends.  In the coffin she looked like one sweetly sleeping.  By the side of her husband who preceded her five weeks, she was laid in the beautiful cemetery at McClyman’s grove.  How significant the term Cemetery!  It means a sleeping-place, and is a gift of Christianity to human language.  “Even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”    V. C. Randolph.

Edward M. JORDAN 

February 24, 1899
Clinton Public

A Surprising Death.
E. M. Jordan, of Heyworth, Has a Relapse of Grip and Dies.

The JORDAN family of Clinton was notified early on Wednesday by telephone that Ed. M. JORDAN had died in Heyworth at 4:10 a.m., of a relapse of the grip. He was taken sick ten days ago, but nothing serious was feared, as he was in excellent health and of a robust constitution. Indifference caused carelessness, and a relapse occurred and the disease ended fatally, a wide circle of friends being startled by the sad announcement of his untimely demise.

Mr. Jordan was one of eight children of Mr. and Mrs. James JORDAN, all of whom are the picture of health, the longevity of the family being noted. The grandfather, who died near Wapella about four years ago, was 90 years old. Deceased was born southwest of Heyworth on March 13, 1861, and moved to Clinton and entered the grocery business with his brother James, about three years ago moving to Heyworth, where he had since resided, doing a successful grain business.

His strict business methods were soon recognized by the citizens of Heyworth, and he was nominated and elected mayor of that village, and that they had made no mistake was soon made apparent. He compelled the aldermen to audit bills, laid new and re-laid old walks, secured better concessions from the electric lighting company, and in other numerous ways injected renewed life into this municipality. He exercised the same energy in his private affairs, and it is feared he worked too hard and was not prepared for an attack of the grip. Politically he was a Democrat, and religiously a member of St. John's church of Clinton, and was a consistent member of each.

Six years ago he was married in Clinton to Miss Mamie CARROLL, of this place, and to them were born two children, Ed, four years old, and Mary, two years old, all of whom survive him.

He was graduate of Dixon college, and had the basis of a good common school education. He was kind to his family, social in his deportment towards his fellows, and strictly honest in all his dealings. His death will be a great loss to Heyworth.

The remains of the late Edward M. Jordan were brought from Heyworth to Clinton on Friday at 8 a.m. and the funeral services were conducted by Father M. A. DOOLING in St. John's church. He was a member of Heyworth camp, M.W. of A., insurance $3,000, and Court of Honor insurance $2,000, and this is the first vacant chair in those orders at Heyworth. He was in business in Clinton for about 12 years and no man stood higher in the esteem of the people than he. Both the M.W.A. and the C. of H. lodges of Heyworth attended the funeral in a body, accompanying the remains to Clinton and laying them to rest in Woodlawn cemetery. A solemn high mass was held at 9 o'clock by Father M. A. Dooling, assisted by Fathers J. CANNON, of Gibson, and J. J. KELLY, of Pekin.

Clinton camp, M. W. of A., met the funeral cortege at the Central depot. The business houses were closed from 9 to 10 a.m., in respect of the occasion. St. John's church was crowded to overflowing with mourners and friends.

Mrs. Edward M. JORDAN 

January 15, 1915
Clinton Register

Mrs. Mary A. Jordan Had Been Sick Some Time—
Death Came Suddenly.

The many friends of Mary A. JORDAN were shocked on Friday evening by the news of the death of Mrs. Jordan which occurred that afternoon at 2:30 at her home on North Quincy street, the immediate cause of death being due to an attack of heart trouble.  Although she had been in delicate health for a number of years, and for some time had been confined to her bed, it was not until a few hours preceding her death that any of her relatives or friends knew that the end was so near.  In fact she had revived a short time preceding her death, and at about two o'clock she rose from her bed to look after some small duty, when she fell in a faint.  Her daughter was in the house at the time and at once placed her mother on the bed and ran for assistance.  Mrs. Jordan lived about half an hour following the attack.  A number of her immediate relatives did not know that her condition was serious until they were apprised of her death.

Mrs. Jordan was a member of a well known Clinton family and with the exception of a few years had spent her entire life in this city.

Mary Anna CARROLL was born in Clinton September 28, 1864, being the daughter of John and Ann CARROLL.  Her girlhood days and school life were spent in this city where she had numerous friends.  She was married to Edward JORDAN January 26, 1892, following which the young couple moved to Heyworth where they lived on a farm for several years.  The husband died fifteen years ago.  After his death, Mrs. Jordan moved to Clinton and this had since been her home.  She was the mother of three children, all of whom are living.  They are Edward C., Mary Ann and Jerome J., all at home.  Thee sisters and two brothers also survive.  Mrs. Anna Magill, Clinton; Mrs. Margaret Sullivan, Sioux City, Ia.; Mrs. C. A. Rockafellow, Hot Springs, Ark.; Jas. and John Carroll, of Clinton.

Deceased was a lifelong member of the Catholic church of this city and one of the great workers in that body.  She was a member of the Court of Honor and of the Tribe of Ben Hur.

Funeral services were held from St. John’s church at 11 o'clock Monday morning, Rev. S. N. Moore officiating.  By a previous request of the deceased, floral tributes were omitted.  Mrs. Jordan having stated that those intending purchasing flowers for her after her death should give them to the sick instead, as the latter could enjoy and appreciate them, and the dead could not do so.  Mrs. Rockafellow and Mrs. Sullivan, the sisters of the deceased, arrived from their respective homes on Saturday to attend the funeral.  Burial in Woodlawn.

Mrs. James JORDAN 

September 19, 1913
Clinton Register

Mrs. James Jordan is Called Suddenly—
Ill But a Short Time—
Loved by All Her Neighbors.

About 7:30 Saturday evening Mrs. James JORDAN died suddenly at her home on West Washington street, with scarcely a warning to members of the family that she was seriously ill.  Mrs. Jordan had not been feeling well during the day, but on Saturday evening ate a light supper, and shortly afterward was stricken with acute indigestion, dying without a struggle.

Johanna WALSH was born December 17, 1836, in County Clare, Ireland, and came with her parents to America in 1855, the family first locating at Palmyra, New York.  In 1856 she was married to James JORDAN and the couple came immediately to Illinois, locating in Bloomington, later removing to a farm which Mr. Jordan purchased northwest of Wapella.  They resided on this farm nearly fifty years, coming to Clinton in 1892.

Besides her husband, deceased is survived by four sons and two daughters: John W., of Wapella; James J., of Clinton; Mrs. J. M. Greene, of Wapella; Attorney George F. Jordan, of Bloomington; Thomas F. Jordan, of Saybrook; Nellie M., at home.  Deceased is also survived by three brothers and a sister: Michael Walsh, of Wapella; Mrs. Margaret Moore, of Bloomington; Jno. Walsh, of Chicago; and Edward Walsh, of Sac City, Iowa.

Deceased was a member of St. John’s church, having been reared in the Catholic faith and was a devoted member, always taking an active part in the work of the church.   She was loved and respected by all who knew her.

Coroner Moore summoned a jury and made an investigation of the death, the verdict being that death was caused by heart failure, the result of acute indigestion.

Funeral services were held at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning from St. John’s church, Father F. C. Hearn officiating.  Interment in Woodlawn.