Obituaries - I

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U-V | W | X-Z

Obituaries were submitted by Judy Simpson unless otherwise noted.

INGHAM (infant) 

July 30, 1880
Clinton Public

Mr. and Mrs. Geo. K. INGHAM’s infant child died at Waynesville, on Wednesday evening.  Two weeks ago the child took sick while Mrs. Ingham was visiting at her mother’s.

George King INGHAM 

May 15, 1914
Clinton Register

One of Best Citizens of Central Illinois Passes Away at Family Residence on North Monroe Street.

One of Clinton’s foremost citizens has joined the silent majority, and is at rest.  He had but little more than passed the meridian of life when death sought to enter his home and claim him as a triumph for the grave.  For weeks the unwelcome visitor stood at the door, determined not to depart until the voice of the one sought had been stilled.  For weeks a life hung in the balance.  Friends hope the one who seldom lost a contest in court would win in the fight against death, but to hope was in vain, and George K. INGHAM passed away at 9:18 o’clock, Tuesday morning, May 12.

Judge Ingham’s fatal illness began between Christmas and the New Year, and only a few of the intimate friends of the family were aware of his feeble condition.  Although an apparently strong man, for the past few years he had been afflicted with heart trouble.  Upon several occasions he and Mrs. Ingham have taken trips to the south and other points that he might receive the relief he sought.  Last winter the judge and Mrs. Ingham joined others of this city who spent the winter at Biloxi, Mississippi.  The few weeks spent there sent him home much improved, and until only a few months ago did his friends note he was again declining.  He was one of the attorneys in the Dr. Price case, and preceding and during the trial worked very hard for his client.  His efforts seemed to weaken him considerably.  Shortly before the first of the present year Mr. Ingham had been compelled to remain at home and could gain rest only by sitting in a chair.

Mr. Ingham’s condition was such that, shortly after, he became ill.  Dr. Brown, of Decatur, was called in consultation with the family physician, Dr. Wilcox, and later Dr. Babcock, of Chicago, one of the greatest heart specialists examined him, but could give the family little hope.  For five weeks the judge showed a marked improvement, and some of his many friends were greatly encouraged when they took down the receiver and listened to the familiar voice of their friend whom they had not been permitted to see for many days.

About three weeks ago the judge again began to fail, and Dr. Babcock was again called from Chicago, but could give no encouragement.  He continued to show some improvement until Thursday of last week, when he was stricken with double pneumonia, and the past three days had been kept alive on oxygen.

Ohio claims Judge Ingham among her native sons, his birth having occurred in Andersonville, July 19, 1852.  He was one of the four sons of Samuel and Nancy (King) Ingham, who were natives of Ohio.  His paternal grandfather was of English and Welsh descent while the King family from which Judge Ingham was descended in the maternal line is of English origin.

Reared to the occupation of farmer, Samuel Ingham, father of Judge Ingham, devoted his entire life to general agricultural pursuits, save for a period of about ten years when he practiced medicine.  In 1858, he arrived in DeWitt county, Ill., settling in Waynesville, where he purchased a mill which he operated for five or six years, after which he turned his attention to farming.  He died near Waynesville in 1895, at the age of 78 years and the wife passed away on the home farm on the last day of 1891, when 72 years of age.  Both were consistent members of the Methodist church.  Their children were as follows: Alva C. INGHAM, who died in Macon county in 1907; Susie INGHAM, who died in 1863, while a young lady; Dora B., the wife of L. K. CUNNINGHAM, of Antwerp, Ohio; and George K. Ingham.

Judge Ingham was but 6 years old when brought by his parents to DeWitt county, where he has now made his home for more than half a century.  His youthful days were passed in the usual manner of farm lads, the district schools affording him his educational privileges after which he attended the Waynesville academy, an institution maintained by private subscription.  He then taught school, after which he took a literary course in the Wesleyan University at Bloomington.  He then matriculated in the law course of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor and was graduated in the class of 1875.  That same year he was admitted to the bar and located for practice in Kenney, Ill., where he remained for three and one-half years, when he removed to Clinton, where he had since followed his profession.  Although advancement at the bar is proverbially slow, he nevertheless made steady progress, his handling of his cases showing great research, industry and care in their preparation.  In 1881, he was appointed county judge to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of Judge John J. McGraw and served for a little less than two years.  In 1886, however, he was again called to that office by popular vote, was re-elected in 1890, 1894 and 1898, so that he served in all about seventeen years, when he resigned on the 1st of January, 1902, to enter again upon the regular practice of law.  His opinions while on the bench gave evidence of his varied legal learning and wide experience in the courts, and the patient care with which he ascertained all the facts bearing upon every case which came before him gave his decisions a solidity and an exhaustiveness from which the members of the bar could not take exception.

March 7, 1878, Judge Ingham was married to Miss Alice A. TENNEY, who was born in Waynesville and has lived in DeWitt county throughout her entire life.  She is a daughter of Boynton and Eliza (Dragstrem) TENNEY.  Four children have been born to Judge and Mrs. Ingham, but Minnie T. INGHAM, the eldest, died at the age of 18 months.  Leonard W. INGHAM, the second child, is a graduate of the University of Illinois and of the Harvard Law School.  He was admitted to the bar in 1908 and became the junior member of the firm of Ingham & Ingham, thus being associated with his father in the practice of law.  Rolla T. INGHAM is assistant cashier of the DeWitt County National Bank.  Miss Helen INGHAM, the youngest child, is at home with her parents and has been a student in the Musical Conservatory of the James Millikin University at Decatur.

Fraternally, Judge Ingham was a member of DeWitt lodge No. 84, Masons, and of the Knights of Pythias.  Politically he had always been a Republican and was recognized as one of the party leaders in the county.  In 1897 he was elected to represent this district in the state legislature.

Although a good business man otherwise, his interest centered in his profession in which he had won high honors.  Some of the most important cases ever heard in DeWitt county have found Judge Ingham on one side and his defense of criminal cases was an object of admiration, not only to his fellow citizens, but the members of the bar.  It is said he was one of the best pleaders before a jury which ever addressed that number of men in the DeWitt county courthouse.  Well versed in the learnings of the law and with a deep knowledge of human nature and the springs of human conduct, with great shrewdness and sagacity, and extraordinary tact, he was in the courts an advocate of great power and influence.  Having great respect for the dignity of judicial place and power, no man ever presided in the court with more regard for his environments than did Judge Ingham.  As a result of that personal characteristic, the proceedings were always orderly on the part of everyone, audience, bar and the officers, from the highest to the lowest.  His opinions were fine specimens of judicial thought, always clear, logical, and as brief as the character of the case would permit.  His mind during the entire period of his course at the bar and on the bench was directed in the line of his profession and his duty, and thus it became that he occupied a foremost place as a member of the legal profession in Central Illinois.

Judge Ingham throughout his entire life was a very conservative business man and his leadership was sought in several organizations.  In January 1891, he was first chosen a director of the DeWitt Co. National bank, and for the past several years had served as vice president of that institution.  Judge Ingham with Richard Snell conducted the Peoples’ bank, a private institution at Kenney, and was also identified with Richard Snell and George H. Thorpe in the private bank at Wapella.

In July, 1887, the DeWitt County Building Association, one of the most substantial institutions in the state, was organized with Judge Ingham as its president, which position he held at his death.

The deceased was also president of the Farm Loan & Trust Co., which was organized October 1, 1911.  This institution also has taken an important position in the business world.

In the year 1900 the Weldon Springs Chautauqua association was organized, and chose for their president Geo. K. Ingham, who served in that capacity a number of years.  He was also an official in the Weldon Springs Co.

Although a very busy man, Judge Ingham always had time to devote to his Master.  In his early manhood he identified himself with the Elm Grove church near Waynesville.  He united with the Presbyterian church in this city March 13, 1881, was elected elder April 27, 1890, and had served continually from that time.  For several years he was assistant superintendent of the Sunday school and in 1911 was chosen superintendent, resigning this present year on account of his failing health.

When the Men’s Club which did much for the citizenship of Clinton was formed, Judge Ingham was selected as its president.

On account of being unable to attend meetings of the session of his church, last year the judge asked that some younger and more active person be chosen to fill his position, but the members of the Session and congregation urged that he remain that they might receive his counsel and guidance which for many years had been so cheerfully given.

Funeral was held yesterday at 2:30 in the Presbyterian church, conducted by Rev. W. H. Fulton, of Rockford, former pastor of the Clinton church.  The church was filled, it being one of the largest attendance at a funeral in the city.  Many were present from all parts of the county and a number from other counties, most of them attorneys.  Among those from other counties were the following: Hon William B. McKinley, Champaign; Judge Shonkwiler and C. F. Mansfield, of Monticello; John L. Bevan, Atlanta; J. R. Fitzgerald, W. T. Black, Hugh McCrea, of Decatur; Mr. Richards, Harry Green and Mayor Browder, of Urbana; Chester Willoughby, and Judge F. H. Boggs, of Champaign.

The pallbearers were John Fuller, Jas. Watson, Dr. S. A. Graham, L. G. Schien, Chas. Walker, G. L. Robb, Edwin Weld, C. M. Warner, all members of the Presbyterian church.  The singing was by B. F. Harrison, Peter Lundh, Mrs. Leah Christian and Miss Rachel Olson; Miss Ingeborg Lundh, pianist.

Burial was in Woodlawn cemetery.  The grave was covered with floral offerings, among them being a large “Gates Ajar,” costing $25.00, from the DeWitt County Bar Association.


January 8, 1892
Clinton Public

Mrs. Samuel Ingham.

Nancy Chapman KING, wife of Dr. Samuel INGHAM, was born near Chillicothe, Ross Co., Ohio, July 23, 1819, and departed this life at ten minutes past eight o'clock, Thursday evening, December 31, 1891, aged seventy-two years, five months and eight days. Mrs. INGHAM was of a family of seven children, one son and six daughters, viz., Mitchel, Hester A., Nancy C., Fannie, Ellen J., Mary and Martha. Of these, only two survive, — Mrs. Mary Dunnuck, of Ottowa, Kan., and Mrs. Fannie Jones, of Lincoln, Ill., the latter being present at the funeral services. All the members of this family grew to maturity near the place of their birth in Ohio.

When about twenty-four years of age Mrs. Ingham was joined in marriage with her surviving, aged and greatly bereaved companion, Dr. Samuel Ingham, on March 28, 1843, with whom she shared the joys and sorrows, the successes and adversities common to married life. Mr. and Mrs. Ingham had known each other from childhood. Dr. Ingham’s mother died when he was but a little boy, and when he chanced to pass the King residence, Mrs. Ingham’s mother would say: “That's the little boy whose mama died.” “From that time on,” said Mrs. Ingham, “I began to form an attachment for him, which grew into an ardent love, culminating in our marriage.” They immediately settled down to housekeeping. Mrs. Ingham was the mother of four children, two sons and two daughters, Alva C., Susanna, Deborah, and George K., all of whom were born in Ohio. In October, 1858, the family moved to Illinois, and in the following month settled in Waynesville. Here, after living pleasantly and joyously for some six years, the shadow of death fell for the first time upon their happy family, when Susanna, the eldest daughter, departed this life on March 23 1863. In May, 1864, they moved to the farm, three miles south-east of Waynesville, where Mother Ingham, surrounded by her children and friends, breathed her last farewell to things of earth and time....

She was confined to her bed on Tuesday, December 22, by inflammation of the liver and lungs, possibly the result of la grippe, and gradually grew worse. On Tuesday night, the 28th, she sustained a partial stroke of paralysis, which made it impossible for her to articulate distinctly enough to make herself understood without making signs, notwithstanding the fact that she tried to speak time after time without effect. On Wednesday, in answer to a question by her pastor if all was well, she nodded assent, “All is well.” On Thursday evening she kissed her grandchildren good-bye and took an affectionate leave of them, after promising they would try and heed her godly admonitions. Later in the evening she beckoned for her daughter, Mrs. Cunningham, and Father Ingham to come to her bed, when she took their hands and clasped them each in the other. At ten minutes past eight o'clock she breathed her last, just as the old year was nearing its close to enter upon the grand New Year of eternity. She had done her duty well in rearing her family. She often expressed great satisfaction in the thought that all her children were religious and comfortably settled. When they no longer needed her Christian counsel….

The funeral took place on Saturday, January 2, 1892, at 1:30 p.m., from the M. E. Church, of which she was a consistent member….

Note: This is a very long obituary.  The whole article is available upon request.

Dr. Samuel INGHAM 

March 22, 1895
Clinton Public

Dr. Samuel Ingham.

It has been said that a child is born and that someone dies at every breath, and when we think of the millions on the face of the earth this is probably an under rather than an over-statement of the case. Life and death are the eternal mysteries, as old as the hills and the skies and yet ever new. The centuries roll by, and we build great cities and great nations and do great things nowadays, but men still live and die in the same old-fashioned way. Sacred history tells us that the allotted age of man is threescore years and ten, but under certain conditions the limit of fourscore may be reached.

Dr. Samuel INGHAM had almost reached the fourscore year when last Sunday morning he heard a voice calling him to join his beloved wife and daughter in the land to which they had preceded him. He was ready and waiting for the call for his work on earth had been finished. Dr. Ingham was born in Ross County, Ohio, May 14th, 1816, of Quaker parentage. He received a good common school education and was taught industrious habits and took up the occupation of a farmer. March 28, 1843, Dr. Ingham was united in marriage to Miss Nancy KING, and then they began life on a farm of their own. While following the plow the Doctor was preparing for the profession of medicine, and when he had studied as far as he could in 1850-51 he went to Cincinnati and graduated from a medical college and then settled in Andersonville, a village in Ross County, and there practiced medicine till the fall of 1858, when he decided to come to Illinois, and located in Waynesville. He gave up the practice of medicine and turned his attentions to the milling business and for six years was quite successful. But the life of a farmer seemed to be more to his taste, and he moved out to Barnett township and bought one hundred and eighty acres of land in section three, which he improved and brought up to a high state of cultivation. Later he bought a quarter of a section of land in Macon County on which his son Alva has lived for a number of years.

Dr. and Mrs. Ingham had four children born to them. One daughter died just as she was budding into womanhood. The three living are Alva C., Mrs. L. K. CUNNINGHAM, and Judge INGHAM. Mrs. INGHAM died on the last night of the year 1891, and since that time the Doctor has lived at the old homestead with his married daughter.

We said in the beginning of this brief sketch that Dr. Ingham's father was a Quaker. He lived in that faith till the war of the rebellion broke out, and then the old gentleman was loyal to the core and, Quaker or no Quaker, he was for fight till the rebels laid down their arms. For this he was expelled from the Quaker church, and then he became a good Methodist. Dr. Ingham and his wife were active members and workers in the Methodist Church from the time of their marriage.

The good old Doctor had been ailing for some time and was thought to be improving. The announcement of his death came as a shock to his friends for they were looking forward to him living yet a little longer. In the fullness of years he gently passed onward. The funeral services were held last Monday, and the old Doctor was laid in the churchyard at Waynesville by the side of his wife and daughter to wait for the final reunion of the family.

INMAN (infant) 

November 9, 1883
Clinton Public

Death has invaded the home of Mr. and Mrs. Drew INMAN and taken from them the babe that was born two weeks ago. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of friends in their sorrow.


January 27, 1916, Thursday
Clinton Daily Public


Drew INMAN, of Pana, a former dry goods merchant of Clinton, passed away at his home in that city yesterday, following an illness of two years of hardening of the arteries.  Mr. Inman was sixty-eight years of age.

Mr. Inman was well known in Clinton, where he conducted a dry goods store on the south side of the square for many years.  From Clinton he went to Joliet, moving from that place to Pana twelve years ago.

Ellabruce INMAN 

June 18, 1886
Clinton Public

Death again invaded the home of Mr. Drew Inman last Sunday, and took from it the baby girl, Ellabruce, aged eighteen months.

Note: She was named after her Aunt Ella and Uncle Bruce.


October 18, 1889
Clinton Public

Death of Guy Inman

Guy INMAN, son of Drew INMAN, a merchant of this city, came to an untimely end Monday night about 6 o'clock. He was on train No. 13 with Conductor James McCUNE and Engineer HEDIGER, and it is thought while passing through the Vernon bridge or the old Wilson bridge near Sandoval he was struck in the head by the timbers and laid senseless on the top of the car. He was discovered, after being missed, lying dead in that position. His father and mother are in great distress, Mrs. INMAN being almost frantic with grief. Guy Inman was a most exemplary, industrious boy, about 19 years of age, and well liked. This was but his second trip on the road. He had quite an ambition to become a railroad man but his death was a terrible sacrifice to his ambition. The conductor protested on the trip against the young man being sent, but it is thought his close attention to business made him oblivious to the dangerous bridge which caused his death. The K. of P. [Knights of Pythias], of whom Mr. Inman, the father, is a member, took charge of the remains, bringing them home. The funeral occurred on Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock, the Rev. Horace REED of the M. E. Church delivering a peculiarly appropriate and impressive discourse, at the family residence on Madison street, from which the lengthy cortege filed mournfully to the shades of Woodlawn.

Mr. Guy Inman was a great favorite among his associate young men, was of a pleasant disposition, and readily made a friend of an acquaintance. He was irrepressibly industrious and ambitious. The confinement of his father's business in the store did not afford him activity enough and with the reluctant consent of his parents he entered the railroad service, and thus came on the second trip out to his most dreadful and untimely fate. The news of Guy's death was a shock to the whole community and doubly distressing to his parents. Mrs. Inman had just returned from St. Louis elated with the memories of her visit to feel with tender nerves the heartless force of this awful blow.

Mr. Drew Inman is a member of the present Grand Lodge of Knights of Pythias in session in Chicago, and as soon as the news reached them of his bereavement they telegraphed him the unanimous condolence of the body. The pall bearers were selected from the young friends of Guy among the Clinton boys and added impressiveness to the ceremonies.


October 18, 1889
Clinton Register

Guy Inman, of this City, is Instantly Killed on His Second Trip as Brakeman on the Central.

Last Monday at 11:15 a.m. Guy INMAN left this city south bound on a freight train as brakeman. He was in high spirits and felt as if he was going to become a useful employee on the road. But alas! little did he realize the awful doom that only a few hours awaited him. When near Fairman bridge he was sent back to brake the train down the grade which approaches the bridge. The engineer noticed that the train ran unusually fast, and George McKinney went back to see what was the trouble. A horrible sight met him; there lay poor Guy Inman in the cold embraces of death. His head had come in contact with the heavy timbers over the bridge, crushing the back part of his head and breaking his neck. He had fallen face foremost on the car and had a death grip on the foot board and in this way he had been carried about nine miles. He was killed at about 5:40 p.m. and was not found until 6:20. When he was found, the train was within two miles of Centralia. The body was taken to Centralia where an inquest was held, the jury exonerating the road and employees from all blame.

Tuesday morning his remains were brought to this city where members of the K. of P. took charge of the remains and conveyed them to the family residence in the north part of town where the funeral took place Wednesday at 2 p.m. After a beautiful and impressive sermon by Rev. Reed, the remains were conveyed to Woodlawn cemetery and placed in the silent tomb to await that great day.

Guy Inman had for some time desired to enter into the employ of the Central, but as he was but 18 years of age his father refused to give his consent for a long time, and at last, overcome by his son's pleadings for a permit, he consented and Saturday signed the necessary papers. On his second trip his blooming life was cut asunder. His father is filled with grief from the fact that he signed the papers which gave his son a permit to engage in a business which so soon resulted in his death, while his mother is bowed in deep grief and refuses to be comforted. The REGISTER extends its heartfelt sympathy to the stricken family in this sad hour of bereavement.

Martin Oscar INMAN 

March 15, 1889
Clinton Public

Oscar INMAN died at Hot Springs, Ark., last Tuesday, and his body was brought back to St. Louis for interment.  He was twenty-nine years old.  He leaves a wife but no children.  The deceased was the brother of Drew and Alto INMAN of this city, and about three years ago he lived here for a few months.  He was engaged in business in St. Louis.  Mr. Drew Inman went to St. Louis to attend the funeral.

Note: Name at birth was Martin Oscar Inman.

Samuel INMAN 

August 1, 1894
Decatur Daily Republican


Joliet, Ill., July 31.—Samuel INMAN, son of Drew INMAN, the dry goods dealer on Chicago street, attempted suicide this morning by cutting his throat with a razor. Doctors were called, stopping the flow of blood, but it is impossible for him to recover. Young Inman was a slave to gambling and drank to excess. Last night he lost a large sum and this is supposed to have caused him to end his trouble.

The Inman family lately resided at Clinton, and are well known to many DeWitt county people who are residents of Decatur.

Submitted by Sheryl Byrd

Israel R. IRVING 

May 28, 1880
Clinton Public

Another Old Resident Gone.

In the death of Mr. I. R. IRVING, which occurred last Tuesday morning, our city has met with another sad loss.  Mr. Irving was born near Trenton, New Jersey, on the 5th of December, 1798.  He was liberally educated.  At 21 he came with his father’s family to Auburn, N. Y., where he was married to Catherine GREEN, who still survives him after a married life of 63 years.  In the early days of Wm. H. Seward, Mr. Irving was prominent in religious, political and commercial circles in Auburn.  Meeting with financial reverses, he became very retiring.   In 1840 he came west with his family, consisting of himself, wife and five children, all of whom are living at this time.  He was a soldier in the war of 1812.  He never had any serious sickness till a short time preceding his death.  He was a member of the Congregational church thirty years, and of the Presbyterian church thirty years, and for many years was an earnest Sabbath-school worker.  He was a tender and loving husband, a kind and affectionate father, and a man whose heart was full of charity and good will towards all.  Old age had so dimmed the faculties of his mind that we do not know whether he was aware of his approaching death.  But the day before his death his weak and trembling voice was heard trying to sing, and from his long and blameless life, and his firm faith in his Saviour, we have reason to believe that he is at rest in the presence of that Saviour he loved so well when here upon earth.

Mrs. Israel R. IRVING 

October 18, 1889
Clinton Public

Mrs. Catherine IRVING, a former resident of Clinton for twenty years, died Thursday evening, October 10th, at Maroa, of old age, that being her ninety-second anniversary. The funeral service was conducted by Rev. W. F. GIBSON, at 1:30 P.M., at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Smith EDMISTON. The body was laid to rest in Woodlawn cemetery, in Clinton. Mrs. Irving was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Clinton, and has been a devoted Christian for sixty years.


September 16, 1892
Clinton Public

Madge, the baby girl of Bud ISBELL’s home, died this morning of a complication of diseases. The little sufferer had bowel complaint and the whooping cough. She was nine months old. Bud and his wife have the sympathy of many friends in their sorrow.


March 13, 1908
Clinton Register

Seventh of the Veterans of the Civil War to Answer the Final Roll Call in Two Months.

After an illness of nearly a month, Samuel ISENHOUR died Monday morning about 9 o'clock at his home in South Clinton, aged nearly 75 years.

Deceased was born at Brownsville, Pennsylvania, March 16, 1834.  His father died a few years later, and he remained with his mother until 1862 when he enlisted in an Indiana regiment and served three years.  After the war he returned to Indiana, and was married to Miss Maria MONROE at Indianapolis in 1864, and they came to Illinois the next year.  They lived on a farm until nearly twenty years ago.  His wife died nearly thirty years ago, and for several years after her death he was in the employ of the Illinois Central, but old age compelled him to give up his position.  Since the death of his companion he had lived alone much of the time until his second marriage.

Of the nine children born to them four are living.  They are Mrs. KERWOOD, of Kenney; Charles, of Springfield; Mrs. MYERS, of Minnesota; and George, of Peoria. Margaret and David, children of the second marriage, live in Weldon.  A brother, Benjamin, of Elwood, Indiana, and a sister, Mrs. PERRY, of Red Oak, Iowa, survive him.

Funeral services were held in the M. E. church Tuesday at 1 o'clock conducted by Rev. Boyers.  The G. A. R., of which deceased was a member, had charge of the services.  Burial in Woodlawn.

Note: He was buried in Tunbridge Cemetery, not Woodlawn.


March 10, 1908
The Decatur Review
Macon County, Illinois


Clinton, Ills., March 10.—At 8:30 o'clock on Monday morning occurred the death of Samuel ISENHOUR, a well known citizen of Clinton.  Mr. Isenhour was an old soldier, having served in the late Civil War in the 19 Indiana.  He was 78 years of age at the time of his death.  Mr. Isenhour was a Pennsylvanian by birth, but has made Illinois his home for a number of years.  He had been married twice but survived both his wives.  He leaves to mourn his loss six children, Charles E., of Springfield; Mary R. MYERS, of Minnesota; Estella KERWOOD, of near Kenney, Ill.; and George ISENHOUR, of Peoria; Maggie, a school teacher near Weldon; and David, a clerk in the same village.  The funeral was held in the First Methodist church on Tuesday at 1 o'clock.

Note: Samuel was buried in Tunbridge Cemetery, DeWitt County, Illinois.

Submitted by Edd Marks

Mrs. Samuel ISENHOUR 

December 30, 1881
Clinton Register

Died, on Monday, December 26th, Mrs. Samuel ISENHOUR, of dropsy.  She was buried at Tunbridge cemetery.  Her death is mourned by a kind husband, a number of children and friends.

George ISHAM 

August 13, 1868
Clinton Public & Central Transcript

In Waynesville, Aug. 4th, George ISHUM [aka ISHAM], aged 80 years. Mr. Ishum was one of our oldest settlers; he laid off the town of Waynesville and named it in honor of Gen. Anthony Wayne, under whom he fought in the war of 1812. His remains were interred in Clinton, on Tuesday of last week.

Mrs. Jacob ISONHART 

August 2, 1930
Decatur Review

(Funeral Announcement Extract)
Name: Mrs. Jacob ISONHART
Cause of Death: Paralytic Stroke
Funeral: 9 a.m., Monday, at St. John's Catholic Church, officiated by Rev. Fr. Lebon; arrangements by W. N. Pullen.
Burial: LaSalle

Submitted by Sheryl Byrd

Avery IVES 

February 20, 1891
Clinton Public

Avery IVES was born in Hartley, Canada, June 30th, 1815, and came to Illinois and settled in DeWitt county, near Clinton, and has lived in this county ever since. He married Miss Fanny W. CARPENTER in the State of Vermont, September 15th, 1842, and there was born to them nine children, six sons and three daughters, five of whom are living.

His companion, a devoted Christian wife and mother, preceded her husband to that Heavenly home, seven years and three months.

Bro. Ives joined the Baptist Church when but eight years old, having enjoyed church fellowship sixty-seven years. He was far from being a sectarian begot. His first membership was in the Baptist Church. He was next a member of the Christian Church, he not living near the church of his childhood. He next joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, for the same reason, from whose communion and fellowship he was taken to where his membership is enrolled in the church triumphant.

Bro. Ives needs no eulogy from me; he was a faithful devoted and prudent gentleman, true to God, and faithful to the church. His life was exemplary before the world; he was a great sufferer with a disease that gave him due and timely notice that the end was nigh.

You need not ask did he die happy. Tell me how a person lives and I will tell you how he dies. He lived in the fear and love of God. His end was peace. He died in Kenney, Illinois, February 12th, at 4 o'clock A.M. He has left a finished life as a legacy to his children, friends and the church. His funeral was preached by his pastor. Text: “The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” —Peter WALLACE.

Mrs. Chester IVES 

July 14, 1911
Clinton Register

Young Mother Dies.

Margaret A. IVES, wife of Chester IVES, died at 5 p.m. Sunday at the John Warner hospital, where she had been confined for the past five weeks.  Tuberculosis of the kidneys was the cause of death.

Margaret A. WADE was born at Pittsburg, Ontario [Canada], January 30, 1877, being the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Francis WADE, and came with her parents to Illinois at the age of fifteen years, the family locating in Clinton.

June 19, 1904, she was married to Chester IVES and to this union was born two children, Ora Francis, aged 5 years, and Vilena Margaret, aged 10 months, both along with the husband and father survive.  She is also survived by four sisters: Mrs. Mattie POTTER, Maroa; Mrs. William OLIVER, Decatur; Mrs. Frank SURDAM, Bloomington; and Mrs. William DOTY, of Danvers; also two brothers, Robert WADE, of Clinton, and Henry WADE, of Clarion, Iowa.

She was a member of the Texas Christian church and has always been a faithful member and a willing worker for the church.  She was a kind neighbor and a loving mother and with all whom she knew was loved and respected.  Since her married life she has always resided at the late home south of Clinton.

Funeral services were held at the home of John IVES Monday afternoon at 4 o'clock, Rev. O. P. Wright of Decatur, a former schoolmate, conducting the services.  Interment in Woodlawn.

Mrs. Ora C. IVES 

August 22, 1913
Clinton Register


Mrs. Vilena C. IVES died at her home Sunday morning at 10:30 o'clock of obstruction of the bowels after an illness of one week.  She was the daugh…[missing line]…born at Chambersburg, Ill., November 9, 1848.  She came with her parents to DeWitt county when but 7 years of age and since had resided in this county.  She united with the Christian church when a young lady and held to the faith she so early professed.  Mrs. Ives was unit in marriage to Ora C. IVES August 4, 1867, and began housekeeping on a farm south of Wapella.  Eighteen years ago they retired and moved to their present home.

To this union eleven children were born, all of whom survive and were at the bedside of their mother when dissolution took place, except two sons in the west.  She leaves her husband, nine sons and two daughters, John and Chester, of Clinton; Roscoe, of Kiowa, Kas.; George, of Burlington, Okla.; Carl, Frank, Edgar, Joseph and Richard, Mrs. Kate HERRINGTON and Mrs. Lucinda MARTIN, all of Wapella; also five grandchildren.  She leaves three brothers and two sisters, J. W. METZ, of Wichita, Kas., John and Mrs. Mattie HECKARD, of Kiowa, Kas.; Mrs. J. T. Wiley, of Ashland, Kas., and Albert D. METZ, of Wapella.  Mrs. Wiley was here on a visit and was ready to start home but for the serious illness of her sister and was at her bedside since Saturday.

She realized her serious illness and requested her children to stay close by.  At midnight Saturday night she embraced all her children and kissed them, realizing the end was not far off.

Funeral services were held from the Christian church in Wapella at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.  Rev. J. F. Rosborough officiating, assisted by Rev. James Cissna, pastor of the Wapella Christian church.

Note: She was the daughter of John D. and Lucinda (Williamson) Metz.

From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:
IVES, ORA C.     METZ, VILENA C.      08-14-1867     DE WITT