Obituaries - E

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U-V | W | X-Z

Obituaries were submitted by Judy Simpson unless otherwise noted.

Addison A. EADS 

September 28, 1871
Clinton Public

Judge A. A. EADS, of Barnett township, died at his residence on Tuesday night of typhoid fever after an illness of about three weeks. Mr. Eads had been for many years a citizen of this county, and had a very large circle of friends and acquaintances, by all of whom he was highly esteemed.

Mrs. Joseph EAKIN 

February 12, 1915
Clinton Register


Mrs. Lucy EAKIN, for more than half a century a resident of Farmer City and vicinity, died at her home in that city Wednesday night aged 90 years.  She was born in Ohio in 1824 and was twice married, the first husband, G. N. SHAW, dying in Ohio and leaving two children, one of whom Mrs. G. W. WEBB, survives and was with her mother during her last sickness.  She came to Chenoa and in 1861 was married to Joseph EAKIN, the family at once locating on the Eakin farm near Farmer City.  With the exception of three years, the remainder of her life was passed on the farm or in that city.  She was a member of the Christian church.

Thomas H. EAST 

March 2, 1888
Clinton Register

On the 18th of Feb., 1888, the community was struck with surprise upon hearing of the sad death of our beloved friend and neighbor, Thomas H. EAST, who fell a victim to the result of measles.  From some cause the disease was slow in making its appearance, and hopes were entertained for his recovery, but a few hours previous to his departure, the measles disappeared which resulted in death.  The deceased was much esteemed by all who knew him, as a worthy citizen and a member of the U. B. church at Shiloh.  He leaves a wife, three children and other relatives to mourn their loss.  They have the warm and tender sympathies of the entire community.  The services were conducted at his home by father Crandall, who delivered some very impressive and consoling remarks upon the words, “comfort one another.”  His remains were interred in the Maroa cemetery.  His family will live with her parents near Bement, Ill.  —A Neighbor.


March 28, 1884
Clinton Public

Mr. Walter EASTMAN, of Wapella, mourns the death of his wife, who was taken from earth after only a few days' sickness. She left a babe of only nine days old and two other children. Mr. Eastman desires to publicly express his thanks to his relatives and friends for their kindness to him and family during the sickness of his wife.

From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:

Mrs. Laura E. EATHERTON 

March 28, 1879
Clinton Public


Mrs. Laura E. EATHERTON, wife of Mr. Philip EATHERTON, died in this city Wednesday night. About six months ago, Mrs. Eatherton was seized with that fatal disease, dropsy, and since that time was almost closely confined to her home. She was a native of Delaware county, Ohio, and came with her husband to Clinton in 1860. She was the mother of eight children, six of whom survive her. For over twenty years Mrs. Eatherton was an active and consistent member of the Methodist church, and during the long sad painful sickness which terminated in her death the consolations of the religion of Christ brought perfect rest to her mind. She will be buried this afternoon in Woodlawn cemetery, the funeral services being held in the M. E. Church.


January 8, 1904
Clinton Register

Mrs. Eaton, of Clinton, Died While Visiting Relatives in that City—
Burial Today.

Mrs. Jane EATON went to Lincoln to spend the holidays with relatives, and had arranged to return to Clinton Tuesday morning. About 12 o'clock Monday night, a peculiar noise was heard in her room, and the family was soon at her bedside, but she died half an hour later.

Jane REAVES was born in Missouri, Aug. 16, 1843, where she was married to Sheldon EATON. Five children were born to them, all of whom are living, Lorin and Grant, of Clinton; Mrs. Lulu WILLS and Mrs. Kate WILLS, of Holdredge, Neb., and Mrs. Lizzie HAMMOND, of Los Angeles, Cal.

The family moved to Clinton nearly forty years ago, and most of the time since then she had lived here, spending some time in Joliet where her sons have lived, and in California with her daughter. As she had been in good health her death was a great surprise.

The remains were brought to Clinton and taken to the home of her sons, where funeral services were held at 10 o'clock today, conducted by Rev. Canady. Interment in Woodlawn.

John A. EATON 

March 20, 1903
Clinton Register

Answers the Final Call While Alone at His Home in Maroa—
Was a Good Citizen.

Two years ago last fall John A. EATON was stricken with paralysis while husking corn in Texas Township. He was taken home to Maroa and had since been helpless. There has been but little improvement during all the time, 'but he had seemed no worse. Mrs. Eaton had been his constant attendant, seldom leaving home except for a short time. When absent she left her husband in the care of her son, Chas. SMITH or his wife who lived in a house a few feet away. Sunday morning she went to church, as usual, leaving Mr. Eaton in the care of her son, who was in the room about 11:30, and Mr. Eaton was asleep, as he thought, but it is very probable that at that time he had suffered another stroke of paralysis; for when Mrs. Eaton returned ten minutes of 12 o'clock he was dead in the chair he had been placed in before she left.

John A. Eaton was born in Crawford county, Ill., Sept. 27, 1844, and lived 58 years, 5 month, and 18 days. He came to this county locating in Tunbridge township and was married to Miss Naoni GANDY. To them five children, three daughters and two sons were born, two of whom are dead. Those living are Laura E. DILLOW, Wapella, Geo. S. of Weldon, and Samuel S. of Oreana. After 18 years of wedded life his wife was taken from him by death. June 22, 1884, he was married to Mrs. Mary SMITH of Texas Township, where they lived until a few years ago, when they moved to Maroa, which had since been their home.

He served his country in the Civil War, being a member of Co. F, 2d regiment, Illinois Light Artillery. He united with the Christian church nearly twenty years ago, and had been in faithful service to his Master. He was a good citizen and his hundreds of friends sympathized with him during his affliction. Besides his wife, who so carefully ministered to his comfort, he is survived by tow brothers, Jerry EATON of Joplin, Mo., and Jesse EATON, of Rowell.

Funeral services were held at the Christian church in Maroa Tuesday at 10:30, conducted by Rev. S. E. Fisher, of Fisher, Ill., formerly of Maroa. As deceased was a member of the G. A. R. the Maroa post attended in a body and honored their comrade by conducting the usual rites of the order at the grave. Interment was in Maroa cemetery.

Submitted by John L. Eaton


June 8, 1883
DeWitt Register


Died.—Naomi, on last Tuesday morning, at her home one half mile northeast of town. She was the wife of John EATON. She leaves a husband and three children.

From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:
EATON, JOHN A   GANDY, NAOMA   09/17/1866    DE WITT

Submitted by John L. Eaton

Sheldon S. EATON 

September 28, 1906
Clinton Register


Yesterday Lorin and Grant EATON received word that their father [Sheldon S. EATON], whom they recently visited, died Wednesday at his son's home in Florence, Alabama. He was 74 years old. For many years he was a resident of Clinton where he was engaged in Business over fifty years ago. He is survived by the following children: Lorin S. and Grant, of Clinton; Mrs. Lizzie HAMMOND, Los Angeles, Cal.; Mrs. Kate WILLS, and Mrs. Lulu WILLS, of Nebraska; and William O., of Florence, Alabama, with whom he had been living. Remains will arrive this afternoon and burial will be in Woodlawn.

Note: lists him as Sheldon S. Eaton, the 1880 Census lists him as Shelton S. Eaton.

William EATON 

March 12, 1880
Clinton Public


William EATON, an old resident of this city, died at the residence of his son, Capt. S. S. EATON, on Tuesday morning [March 9], at the advanced age of ninety-three years. In his early life we believe that he was a sailor. For many years after he came to Clinton he followed the occupation of shoe-making. Mr. Eaton was one of those quiet souls who in later years had not mixed much with the world and never talked about himself or others, therefore but little is known of the early events of his life. In politics he was an earnest Republican and never missed an opportunity to give expression to his sentiments at the ballot-box. In 1815 he was made a Freemason in North Carolina, and for sixty-five years was a member of the order. He was probably one of the oldest Freemasons in Illinois. His funeral was attended by the fraternity in a body, the Rev. W. W. FARIS conducting the services. Mr. Eaton was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery on Wednesday afternoon.

Note: Cemetery record: Eaton, William - born at Stafford, Conn. Aug. 3, 1788; died Clinton, Ill., March 9, 1880, aged 91 yr 7 mo 6 da, Father

Joseph E. EBERMAN 

June 12, 1891
Clinton Register

Died on Sunday morning at 9:30 June 7, at his residence here, Joseph EBERMAN, who was born Oct. 5, 1841, being at the time of his death 49 years, 8 months and 2 days old.  He had been a sufferer for years, having received sunstroke while in the Great Rebellion, from which he never recovered.  He had tried for 12 years to procure a pension, but though he had served 3 years and 4 months in the Missouri 8th, Co. D, in the Rebellion, he failed to get it.  He was an exemplary citizen, a good husband, a loving father and an obliging neighbor.  The deceased leaves a wife, son and two daughters, the youngest of which is about 12 years old.  Funeral services were held at the M. E. church and the remains interred in Cumberland Cemetery Monday afternoon.  The family has the sincere sympathy of all in their bereavement.

Note: He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Waynesville, DeWitt County, Illinois.

Mrs. Joseph E. EBERMAN 

June 10, 1892
Clinton Register

Died, at her residence on Maltby St., Sunday afternoon at 6 o'clock, Mrs. Mary C. EBERMAN, after an illness of about two years, with cancer.  Funeral services were held at the residence Monday afternoon and the remains interred in Cumberland cemetery, Rev. J. E. Artz officiating.  Mrs. Eberman was a daughter of Col. John B. JONES, who came from Indiana to Sangamon county, Ill., in 1830, and to this place in 1831, where he resided till his death.  She was born two and half miles northeast of here March 12, 1844.  She was united in marriage with Joseph E. EBERMAN of this place Nov. 22, 1865.  Mr. Eberman served clear through the war of the rebellion, was in many of the hardest fought battles and belonged to the famous regiment, the Missouri 8th Volunteers.  He was all through the South and suffered a severe attack of sunstroke, but still stuck to his duty and stayed at the front.  He never entirely recovered from the effects of sunstroke and would often be overcome with heat in summer.  About fourteen years ago he applied for a pension and prosecuted his claim until his death.  However he never succeeded though he richly deserved a pension.  He furnished piles of evidence from doctors, officers and comrades, also petitions were sent to the U. S. Com. of Pensions signed by nearly all the citizens of Waynesville.  But alas, he could see comrades that were in the three months’ service and never saw a battle get pensions easily while he was denied his just dues.  He died January 7, 1891, and never received the pension.  After his death his widow prosecuted his claim, also put in application as a widow and tried to get a pension for the youngest child, Florence, but though she survived her husband nearly a year, her hopes of receiving a pension from the government on any of the claims were never realized.  She leaves three children, Harry S., Lillie L., and Florence A.  Harry is an estimable young man and upon him has devolved the care of the family for several years.

Mrs. Anton EBLE 

February 15, 1901
Clinton Register

One of Texas Township's Aged Mothers Ends Life's Journey—
Death Result of Dropsy.

Mrs. EBLE, wife of Anton EBLE, of Texas township, died yesterday morning at 10 o'clock. She had been afflicted with dropsy, but had not been considered so near death. She was about 70 years old, and had lived in this county many years, the family coming here from Morgan county, Ill. The husband, two sons, John and Joseph, and three daughters, Miss Eliza, who is teaching in Macon county; Mrs. Orlando GOODWIN, of Clarion, Ia.; and Mrs. Chas LYLES, of Decatur, survive her. The time for the funeral has not been learned, but it will probably be held Sunday. Interment in Maroa cemetery.

Mrs. Elizabeth EBRIGHT 

October 11, 1901
Clinton Register

Aged Lady Dies at Home in Clinton—
Came to Illinois When Young.

Mrs. Elizabeth EBRIGHT died Monday morning at her home in the northwest part of the city, aged 71 years and 22 days, of heart failure.  On September 15, 1830, Elizabeth Ebright was born in Ohio, and her parents came to Illinois when she was twelve years old.  They lived in the northwest part of this county.  When 22 years of age, she went to Kansas where she was married to Urban N. TWADELL.  To them four children were born of which three [two] survive: Chas. N. TWADELL, of Chicago, who is well known here, having lived near Waynesville many years; Laura B. EVANS, of Taylorville.  She also lived in this county.  In 1862 Mr. Twadell went to the army and his wife and children came to Waynesville to live with relatives.   He died while in service in 1864.  In 1878 she again moved to Kansas, where she was married to E. E. EBRIGHT in 1888, who died in 1892.  She then came to Clinton to care for her aged mother, Mary ARMSTRONG, who died about a year ago.  She was heart-broken by the death of her mother and never regained her former health.   Besides her two children, three grandchildren survive her.  She united with the Presbyterian church when 16 years old and the Methodist church in 1892.  Funeral services at the home on Tuesday at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. S. C. Black.  Burial in Waynesville cemetery.

Henry K. ECKERT 

November 26, 1909
Clinton Register

Death of Henry K. Eckert.

Henry K. ECKERT, one of the oldest citizens of the county died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Jennie BLUE, November 20, at 7:30 o'clock p.m. He had been as well as usual for a man of his advanced age, 84 years, until about seven weeks ago when his fatal sickness began.

Mr. Eckert was a native of Butler county, Ohio, where he was born Sept. 1, 1825. He was married on March 4, 1847. After the death of his wife in 1866, he came west settling in Tunbridge township where he made his home for almost half a century.

He had made his home with his daughter, Mrs. Blue, his only living child, for many years. Two children died in infancy, and a son, Joseph ECKERT, died at Plainfield, N. J., a few years ago, aged forty.

"Uncle Henry," as he was familiarly known to every one, was a man of gentle and genial nature and none knew him but to honor and respect him. For many years a member of the Baptist church, his mission was to do good and to make others happy. He found his greatest happiness in being busy and in his home life with his children and grandchildren.

The funeral was held Tuesday at the old Baptist church in Tunbridge township, conducted by Rev. J. L. Dobbs of Springfield. Interment was made in the cemetery at the church.


September 16, 1910
Clinton Register

Aged Nearly Ninety.

Mrs. C. K. EDMISTON received word of the death of her brother-in-law, David EDMISTON, at Harper, Kan., aged 87. Deceased was born in Ohio Jan. 1, 1823. He graduated from college in 1848, and for several years was a teacher. He was married in 1851 and entered in the army in 1861. He came to Clinton after the close of the war. He went to Harper, Kan., in 1885, which had since been his home. He was a brother of Dr. T. K. EDMISTON, for many years a leading physician of Clinton.

David Theodore EDMISTON 

April 20, 1883
Clinton Public

Sudden Death of D. T. Edmiston.

This morning all that is mortal of D. T. EDMISTON will be consigned to the grave in Woodlawn Cemetery. In the vigor of young manhood, for he had not yet reached thirty years of age, he was stricken down by the hand of Death, and his young wife and baby boy are bereft of a protector to guard and care for them through life's journey. For some months past the deceased was in failing health, and last week, by the advice of his physician, he started for Hot Springs in the hope that the change would be beneficial. He got only as far as Decatur on his trip when his symptoms became alarming and he returned to this city. On Tuesday he was apparently better and that afternoon he spent at his brother's, Dr. J. A. EDMISTON. That night, however, it was deemed advisable to have someone watch with him, as at bedtime he was feeling worse. Two members of Plantagenet Lodge, Knights of Pythias, were detailed to go to Mrs. HUMPHREY's house for the night and care for their sick brother. They had but little to do as Mr. Edmiston seemed to rest quietly. About five o'clock on Wednesday morning one of the watchers went into the bedroom to see if anything was needed, when the alarming discovery was made that Mr. Edmiston was dead. Less than half an hour before, he was quietly sleeping. It was a terrible shock to his wife and the other members of the family.

D. T. Edmiston was born in Ohio, and when but a lad he came to Clinton and clerked in the drug store of his brother, Dr. John A. Edmiston. Afterward he became a partner with his brother. About seven years ago he went to Weldon and opened a general store in connection with W. F. HUMPHREY, his father-in-law, and Messrs. WALTERS and DENISON. The firm prospered in business. After the death of Mr. Humphrey, Theodore continued to manage the interest of the Humphrey heirs. He was diligent in business and made hosts of friends in the country around Weldon.

Mr. Edmiston was a member of Mozart Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of Weldon, and he was also a member of the Endowment Rank in Clinton. In this order he had an insurance policy of $2000, which will be paid to his wife within the next sixty days. During his last sickness he had the constant care of his Clinton brethren. He was buried this morning in Woodlawn Cemetery, the funeral services being held in the M. E. Church, conducted by Rev. T. I. COULTAS, assisted by the Rev. O. B. THAYER. The Knights of Weldon and Clinton acted as escort at the funeral, and at the grave was pronounced the impressive rites of the order.

Note from Michelle Rush: His full name was David Theodore Edmiston. For more details see Clinton Public news article dated January 27, 1882.

Mrs. David Theodore EDMISTON 

January 22, 1892
Clinton Public

At seven o’clock this morning Mrs. Ella EDMISTON departed this life. One week ago yesterday she was taken down sick, and her disease assumed from the first such serious complications that her physicians had but little hopes of her recovery. Indeed Mrs. Edmiston realized her condition, and with the calmness and confidence of a Christian woman she waited for the end. Yesterday she felt that death was hovering over her, and she sent for Judge Ingham to make her will. Of course all of her property was left to her boy, but she remembered each member of the family with some little memento.

Mrs. Edmiston was born in Clinton about thirty-five years ago. She was the daughter of William F. and Elizabeth HUMPHREY. She graduated from the Clinton high school and was afterward a teacher in the same building till she was married in the year 1877 to Theodore EDMISTON. After about five years of married life her husband died, leaving her with one child, a boy.

Theodore Edmiston was a member of the order of Knights of Pythias and carried an insurance policy of $2500 in the endowment rank. This money she received in thirty days from the time the final proofs of death were filed. By carefully investing this money the income from it helped largely to support her. For several years she clerked in Drew Inman’s store and was such a good sales woman that she received the highest salary paid to dry goods clerks in Clinton. The funeral will take place on Sunday afternoon.

Dr. David W. EDMISTON 

May 17, 1907
Clinton Register

Well-Known Physician Passes Away After a Brief Illness—
Fifty Years Resident of Clinton.

About the first of April, Dr. D. W. EDMISTON took cold, which developed into pneumonia, and there seemed little chance of his recovery.  He grew worse rapidly and death came Friday night about eleven o'clock.  He realized he would not recover, and arranged his business affairs, making his will and naming Hon. B. F. Staymates as executor.

David W. Edmiston was born in Logan county, Ohio, April 16, 1838.  He came to this state in 1855, and lived near Paris where he remained about two years when he came to Clinton.   His uncle, Dr. T. K. EDMISTON, was practicing his profession in Clinton, and he began studying medicine.  Later he attended medical school in Chicago.  After graduating, he located in Missouri, where he remained until after the Civil War began; he returned to Clinton and in August 1862 enlisted in Co. B of the 107th regiment.  In 1864 he gave up army life on account of poor health and returned to Clinton.  He resumed the practice of medicine as partner with Dr. C. Goodbrake, one of Clinton’s leading physicians, the partnership continuing several years.  From that time until a few months ago he had continued in his profession.  For a year or more he had been afflicted with “creeping paralysis” and had practiced but little.

His marriage to Miss Jeannette KNEADLER [KNADLER] was on Jan. 13, 1869.  Of the two sons born to them, one, William, with his mother, survives.  Other relatives in Clinton are his cousins, Mrs. W. W. GRAHAM, Mrs. Jas. M. CLINE, Robert EDMISTON, and his niece, Mrs. Austin MORRIS.

Dr. Edmiston was said to be among the best, if not the best, read doctors in Clinton in his profession.

He was always ready to do what he could for those who desired his services, and would attend the poor as readily as he would the wealthy.

Funeral services were held at the home on South Center street on Sunday at 2:30, conducted by Rev. N. M. Rigg.  He was a Mason and a member of the G. A. R., and these orders with the W. R. C. attended the services.  Burial was in Woodlawn cemetery.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:
EDMISTON, DAVID W.     KNADLER, ELLEN J.      01-13-1869     DE WITT


April 3, 1903
Clinton Register

Dr. J. A. Edmiston Answers the Last Roll Call After a Sickness of Several Weeks.

At 6 o'clock yesterday evening Dr. J. A. EDMISTON died at his home on North Monroe street, aged 63 years, 1 month and 26 days, of enlargement of the heart.

John A. Edmiston was born Feb. 6, 1839, in Logan county, O. He attended school at Bellefontaine, O., and Paris, Ill., and began teaching when 17 years old. In 1857 he came to this county where he studied medicine under Drs. GOODBRAKE and his uncle, T. K. EDMISTON, and later attended medical college in Chicago, and then returned to Ohio where he enlisted for three months in the war, and at the end of this time joined the 20th Reg. Ill. Vol. and became hospital steward under Dr. Goodbrake, of Clinton. Soon after the battle of Ft. Donelson he was made 1st lieutenant of Co. E., and went on duty the morning of the Shiloh battle. Three months later he was made captain and held that position during the rest of the war.

After the war he returned to Clinton and again attended a medical college in Chicago, graduating February 24, 1866, and became a partner of Dr. T. K. Edmiston until 1870, when he engaged in the drug business for five years. From that time until his last sickness began he practiced medicine. December 17, 1867, he was married to Miss Mary HAYNIE, who survives him. One daughter, Mrs. Kate RAHT, lives at Chattanooga, Tenn. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and of the Masonic order. Politically he was a Republican. Funeral will probably be held tomorrow afternoon at the home.


April 13, 1906
Clinton Register

Former Clinton Woman Died at the Home of Her Daughter in Decatur—
Many Here Remember Her.

Mrs. Marilla EDMISTON died Saturday at the home of her son-in-law, Edward ADAMS, in Decatur, and the remains were brought to Clinton on Monday for burial at Woodlawn.

Marilla IRVIN was born in Ohio nearly 73 years ago, and grew to womanhood there. She was a sweet singer and with a sister and two brothers formed a quartette that sang in all the principal cities of the United States, being known as the "Irvin Quartette." She was married to M. S. EDMISTON, a relative of Dr. D. W. EDMISTON, of Clinton, in 1852, and in 1856 they came to Illinois, locating in Edgar county. Ten years later they came to Clinton where the husband died four years later. She remained in Clinton until about 22 years ago, owning the property now owned and occupied by J. E. Johnson. She moved to Dalton, Ill., and from there to Clark Co., Miss., where her sons, Edward and Charles, still live. Her daughters are Mrs. Fanny WARREN, of Chicago, and Mrs. W. E. ADAMS, of Decatur. She had lived part of the time for many years with her sons and the rest with the daughters, recently coming to Decatur from Mississippi.


January 11, 1895
Clinton Public

Mrs. Narcissa EDMISTON passed away from earth at the home of her daughter, Mrs. CURTIS, in Chattanooga, Tenn., last Friday. She was the mother of Dr. John A. EDMISTON and grandmother of Curtis EDMISTON. She had spent a life of nearly seventy-seven years in unselfish devotion and love to her large family and circle of friends, and was widely and universally beloved. She was a staunch Presbyterian, and was an earnest and zealous Christian, giving the largest and best part of her life to her Master. Her memory will be like a benediction to her children.>/p>

Note from Michelle Rush: Robert Edmiston was married to Narcissa Herron.

Dr. Thomas K. EDMISTON 

November 12, 1880
Clinton Public

Died, in Clinton, Ill., November 9, 1880, after a long and tedious illness, T. K. EDMISTON, M. D.

Born of a staunch old Presbyterian family, in Cherokee, Logan county, Ohio, July 16, 1825, his boyhood encountered the obstacles and enjoyed the benefits of the best frontier life. In this school he learned to "endure hardness" without complaint. Few boys in our (or in any other) day seem willing to make any such effort and sacrifice for an education as he made. The story of his going to and from Salem Academy, and how he paid his way there, as modestly told by himself, would make good reading.

In November, 1850, he was married to Miss Clementine WELCH, who, with their seven children, survives him. In 1855 they removed to Clinton, where he early entered on a fair practice, which in later years became very extensive and exacting. At first associated with Dr. C. Goodbrake, for many years before his death he had practiced alone. In the sick-room he gave encouraging attention. His native, strong common sense contributed as much to his success as his technical information, an unfailing patience, combined with professional acumen, to make his work effective. His patients became warmly attached to him. As long as he was able to ride, long after he had become a greater sufferer than many of those to whom he ministered, he was sent for by the families, far and near, which had been used to his services; and he always went.

The medical profession is far from receiving the meed of praise it merits. It embraces with its ranks hosts of men of high standing, great skill, and self-denying habit. Few walks of public life are trodden by men so generally and so notably worthy. It is high praise, yet none too high, to say that Dr. Edmiston was worthy of the prominent place he achieved among these men.

His strength lay largely in his self-control. To this, hereditary tendency, the necessities of his boyhood, but especially his modest faith and diligent self-culture, all contributed. His characteristic virtues are best shown in the family and the sick-room. Strangers would not so easily discover them. Those who knew him best appreciated him most.

Following parental example—as might please God soon to bring hosts of others to do— he early made the Christian's choice. He became a communicant in the Presbyterian church about the year 1848. Since 1856 he has been a valued member of the church in Clinton, where he attended divine service with a regularity and punctuality which few physicians in active practice succeed in maintaining. The adage, "Where there’s a will there’s always a way," tells the secret of this rare habit; but no words can tell how much it added to his personal character and usefulness.

The goodness of God was a favorite theme with him, often rising to his lips in lucid intervals during his last illness, and even sometimes in his darkest hours of mental obscuration. Such pure gospel hymns as "Jesus, Lover of My Soul," were ever grateful to his ear. His departure after a laborious life was the signal for due honors paid to his memory. After all, the thoroughly earnest life is somewhat rare; and even amid those natural frailties in which we all share, such a life grows up in esteem, and wins the true success.   W. W. F.

Note: His full name was Thomas Kirker Edmiston.


January 2, 1914
Clinton Register


A message was received by H. H. EDMUNDS at midnight Friday conveying the sad news of the death of his mother, Mrs. A. EDMUNDS, at the family home, Los Angeles, Cal., and stating that the funeral services would he held at 1:30 Saturday afternoon. Mrs. Edmunds has been in very poor health for two or three months past, but the last words received in Clinton about a week ago were more encouraging and related more especially to the reunion at Christmas time of the members of the family residing in California. She is survived by her husband, three sons and two daughters. One son, Olin, died at the age of 14 at Gardner. The sons are H. H. Edmunds, of Clinton, William J. and L. A. EDMUNDS, of Santa Barbara, Cal. The daughters are Mrs. Kate FRIEDMAN, of Maroa, and Mrs. H. E. VICKROY, of Hollywood, Cal.

Mrs. Arch C. EDWARDS 

December 30, 1918
Clinton Daily Public

Mrs. A. C. Edwards of Minnesota Dies in Iowa—
Daughter of Mrs. Swan.

Mrs. A. C. EDWARDS, a former resident of this community and well known here but now a resident of Sleepy Eye, Minn., passed away last week at a hospital in Storm Lake, Iowa, after several months of suffering with cancer. The news of her death was received here late Saturday by Clinton relatives. Mr. and Mrs. Claude LAWRENCE of this city, the latter a sister of the deceased, were at her bedside during the illness, Mrs. Lawrence returning to Clinton just previous to her end. Deceased was a daughter of Mrs. Margaret SWAN, 206 West South street.

Deceased was the eldest daughter of the late Malcolm and Margaret SWAN and was born near Lane, in DeWitt county on December 17, 1875, being 43 years of age at the time of her death. She resided near that place where she was married twenty one years ago to A. C. EDWARDS, of Weldon. To this union five children were born, as follows: Durwood, Malcom, Donald, Dorothy and Charles. The youngest child is three years and eight months old. Besides the husband and five children, deceased is survived by her mother, who is now an invalid, and the following sisters, Mrs. C. A. LAWRENCE and Mrs. M. SEANEY, of Clinton; Mrs. John S. HUNTER, of Oklahoma City, Okla.; Miss Katherine SWAN, of St. Louis, Mo.; and Mrs. Madge EGGLESTON, of Oklahoma City, Okla.

Deceased and her family moved from near Lane to Iowa about eight years ago, where they lived on a farm near Storm Lake. She was a member of the Methodist church. The funeral services were held in Storm Lake yesterday afternoon and burial made in the cemetery at that place.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:
EDWARDS, ARCH    SWAN, ANNA     1897-02-10    DE WITT


January 25, 1889
Clinton Register

After a short struggle of one week, apparently unconscious from a stroke of paralysis, Caleb EDWARDS, of Lane, died Friday, Jan. 4, at 1:30 o'clock p.m., aged 84 years. Funeral services at the Christian Church in Lane, Elder F. M. Phillips officiating.

The deceased was born October 10, A.D. 1804, in Pickaway County, Ohio, was united in marriage January 17, A.D. 1830, to Susana BUDD, whose death the family mourned eight years prior to her husband's. He moved to Illinois in 1863, and where his three sons and three daughters, now living, grew to manhood and womanhood. The youngest daughter married in the fall of '76 and moved to Marion County, Kansas. The others still live in this county. In a short time he made his daughter a visit in Kansas, with whom he lived till the time of his death, they returning to Illinois five months prior to that time.

He and his beloved companion were worthy members of the Christian Church for more than 50 years. Their remains are interred in Lane Cemetery. They were highly respected by all who knew them. He felt his life work was done, and was ready to meet his loved one. We mourn thy loss father. Mother, we loved thee when alive; we will mourn thee when dead. Our loss, we hope is thy gain.

Submitted by Paula Snyder

Mrs. Caleb EDWARDS 

April 1, 1881
Clinton Public

DIED.—At her home in Lane, DeWitt County, Illinois, Monday, March 21, 1881, at 1 o'clock a.m., Mrs. Susannah EDWARDS, in the 66th year of her age.

Mother Edwards, whose maiden name was BUDD, was born in Allegheny County, Pa., Dec. 2, 1815. At the age of thirteen she moved to Ashland County, Ohio. She was married to Caleb EDWARDS, in the above county, June 17, 1830. When about twenty years of age she was converted to Christianity and with her husband united with the Christian or Disciples Church, and continued until death a consistent Christian, ever witnessing a good confession before all who knew her.

In 1863, with her husband and family, she came to DeWitt County, Ill., where she resided till her death. For twenty-eight years she was an invalid, often suffering severely, but in the most trying hour she found the grace of God sufficient for her. Mother Edwards fell asleep in Jesus and in full assurance of a blessed immortality. Her body was carried to its final resting place, in the graveyard west of Lane, followed by a large circle of friends.

The funeral sermon was delivered by Rev. H. C. Turner, of DeLand, Ill., from Rev. 14-13: "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord." Father Edwards and family deserve the sympathy of the community in this great bereavement.

Submitted by Paula Snyder

Harrison EDWARDS 

February 12, 1915
Clinton Register

Harrison Edwards Follows Aged Wife to Better Land—
Died Last Saturday.

Within one week following the death of his wife, Harrison EDWARDS died at his home in Lane last Saturday afternoon at 4:40 after a prolonged illness. The death of Mrs. EDWARDS the previous Sunday proved more than the already weakened frame could bear and, coupled with the illness, soon brought about the end.

Mr. Edwards was seventy-one years old at the time of his death and practically all of his long life had been spent in the vicinity of DeWitt and Lane. A few years ago he gave up active work on the farm and settled in the village of Lane to spend the remainder of his days. He was the father of three daughters, all of whom survive as follows: Mrs. Cora ARTHUR, near Lane; Mrs. Dora COX, of Clinton; and Mrs. Nellie WALDEN, also of Clinton. Deceased was one of the best known farmers in this section of the county.

Funeral services were held at Lane at nine o'clock Tuesday morning. Interment in the Lane cemetery.

Mrs. Harrison EDWARDS 

February 5, 1915
Clinton Register

Mrs. Harrison Edwards Dies.

Mrs. Harrison EDWARDS died in her home in Lane Sunday morning from cancer of the stomach. She was 68 years old.

She was born and reared near Lane and the daughter of Samuel and Mary HENSON. When 20 years of age, she was married to Harrison EDWARDS. Three daughters were born to this union. All of them survive: Mrs. Cora ARTHUR, of near Lane; Mrs. Dora COX, of Clinton; and Mrs. Nellie WALDEN, also of Clinton. She leaves three sisters and one brother: Mrs. Philip DAY and Mrs. Day DAVENPORT, of Weldon; Susan GREGORY, of near Soloman; and Edward HENSON, of Lincoln, Neb. She also leaves her husband, who is 71 years old. They lived on the farm until both became feeble, then moved to the village.

Funeral services were held in the home Wednesday morning at nine o'clock. Burial in the Walters cemetery, near DeWitt.


November 1935
Clinton Daily Journal

Killed in Auto-train accident November 11, 1935.

Robert EDWARDS was born in Virginia, but had lived in Dewitt county for a number of years. He was mayor of Waynesville and was also in the machinery business there. He was married 28 years ago to Miss Mossie SAMPSON, who survives, with six children. They are Mrs. Virginia BROSAN of Benson, Robert, Jr., Dwane Gordon, Victor and John all at home. He also has two brothers, V. W. EDWARDS, of Bassett, Va., and J. P. EDWARDS, of Springfield.

Submitted by Lara Braley Johnson

(See news article)


August 25, 1893
Clinton Public

Samuel EDWARDS, living one mile west of Weldon, died last Tuesday morning at 8:30 o'clock of apoplexy. About six weeks ago he had a stroke but was getting some better. Tuesday morning, just after arising, he had another and never rallied. He was buried at Lane Wednesday at eleven o'clock.

Submitted by Paula Snyder

Mrs. Samuel EDWARDS 

June 27, 1902
Clinton Register

Mrs. S. EDWARDS died June 24 at her home three miles west of town, and buried June 25 at the Rose cemetery. Mrs. Edwards had been quite poorly for several months. She leaves five sons and one daughter.


June 27, 1902
Paper Unknown

Catherine EDWARDS departed this life at her late home, 2 miles west of Weldon, Tuesday, June 24, at 1:30 o'clock, aged about 70 years. Funeral services were held at the home Wednesday at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Weaver, of Argenta. Interment at Rose cemetery.

Note: Her maiden name was Catherine Berg.

Submitted by Paula Snyder

Sewall A. EDWARDS 

January 24, 1908
Clinton Register

One of Clinton's Well-Known Citizens Joins the Host of Comrades Who Have Gone Before.

Another of the Nation's defenders from 1861 to 1865 has gone into camp in a land where there is "No rumor of the foe's advance," and "Glory guards with solemn round the bivouac of the dead."

Early Tuesday morning S. A. EDWARDS passed away at his home on West Washington street after an illness of less than two weeks. While his health had been failing several years and he had been totally blind six or seven years, his condition was not considered serious until a few days before his death.

Deceased was born in Maine April 1, 1831, and was almost 78 years old. In 1861 he enlisted in the first company of volunteers in Maine, and remained in the service until 1864.

One year after his enlistment he was married to Miss Eunice JACKSON; after he was discharged they left for the West, and found a home at Mendota, Ill., where they lived several years, Mr. Edwards teaching school most of the time. In 1879 they moved to Wapella, where they remained five years. While there he published a paper. In 1884 the family moved to Clinton where the paper was published a few months. They had since made Clinton their home, and Mr. Edwards was daily upon the streets until a year or two ago. For four or five years after becoming blind he was about the streets and greeted his many friends, who sympathized with him in his affliction. He had been a faithful member of the M. E. church over fifty years, and a member of Frank Lowry Post since coming to Clinton.

He is survived by his wife and three children, George M., of Bloomington; John E., of Clinton; and Mrs. Carl JONES, of Wenatchee, Wash.

Funeral services were held yesterday at 3 o'clock, the G. A. R. in charge. Sermon by Rev. Boyers. Burial in Woodlawn.


April 17, 1891
Clinton Public

Thomas EDWARDS, a resident of Lane, and an old settler in this county, died at his home in Lane on the 8th inst. He was a member of Mozart Lodge, No. 96, K. of P., of this place. His remains were taken in charge by the lodge and buried in the cemetery near Lane on the 9th inst. Those who attended the funeral services from this place went down on the passenger train, and arrangements were made by which a special train was run from Clinton out to this place to bring them back. There were about fifty-five tickets sold.


April 10, 1891
Clinton Register

Thos. EDWARDS, who died Wednesday evening at his residence in Lane, was widely esteemed as an industrious, honest and quiet citizen; was born near Mansfield, Ohio, nearly fifty years ago; and served three years in the army, and afterward came to Illinois, settling on a farm near Lane, where the family has since lived. Mr. Edwards was a fine mechanic, having been employed a number of years by C. W. Moore to build his houses here, and a number of them in Iowa. He was a member of the Masonic Fraternity and Knights of Pythias, of Weldon; also, a member of the Christian church.

Carpenter ELLINGTON 

April 17, 1914
Clinton Register


At his home in Hallsville Sunday Afternoon at 1:30 occurred the death of Carpenter ELLINGTON, familiarly known as "Cap" Ellington. Bowel trouble was the cause of death.

Carpenter Ellington was born in DeWitt county June 3, 1849, and at the time of his death had reached the age of 64 years, 10 months and 9 days. His entire life had been spent in this county.

Deceased leaves a wife and the following children: Arthur ELLINGTON, of Clinton; Fred ELLINGTON, of the Green Valley neighborhood; and one daughter at home. Also one brother and two sisters: David ELLINGTON, of Missouri; Elizabeth KENNEY, of Kenney; and a sister in Kansas.

Deceased had been a member of the Christian church for years and funeral services were held from that church in Hallsville Tuesday afternoon at 2:30. Interment in the McClimans cemetery.


November 1, 1929
Clinton Daily Journal and Public

Of the last three Waynesville Civil War veterans, who fought bravely through the war—only two remain today.

Daniel ELLINGTON, 86 years old, and the oldest of the trio, passed away at his home in Waynesville yesterday morning at 4 o'clock. He was one of the most active members of the trio until he was stricken with a paralytic stroke Saturday, which caused his death yesterday.

The three, all past 82 years of age, were W. M. SAMPSON, E. K. GINNINGS, and Daniel ELLINGTON. They fought through the Civil War under Abraham Lincoln's flag —returning safely to their homes in Waynesville at the close of the war with tales of admiration for the work done by General Grant and "Stonewall" Jackson.

One has fallen by the wayside—leaving but two to carry on the stories of that great struggle, until they too shall join Private Ellington, forever ending the living memories of that great historical period for Waynesville residents.

Daniel Ellington was born near Waynesville May 23, 1843, the son of David and Catherine ELLINGTON and was one of a family of twelve children. He had lived in his present home for the past 82 years and was one of Waynesville's oldest residents.

He enlisted June 16. 1861, as a volunteer of the Eighth Missouri Volunteers. He was in the siege of Fort Henry and the battle of Fort Donaldson. He was also in the thick of the battle of Shiloh and was seriously wounded.  He lay wounded on the battlefield between the lines for a day before he was picked up and taken to the Union Hospital, where he remained until he was discharged August 2, 1862.

He was married to Katherine ELLINGTON May 30, 1873, and to this union nine children were born, seven of whom are still living. They are: Isaac ELLINGTON, Mrs. Viola FINGER and Mrs. Maude FINGER of near Waynesville, Michael, Robert, May, and Sarah, who reside at home.

Funeral services will be conducted from the Waynesville Christian Church Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, with Rev. H. S. Mavity officiating. Interment will be made in Evergreen Cemetery.

Submitted by Marcia Wriggle

Mrs. Daniel ELLINGTON 

October 19, 1917
Clinton Daily Public


Funeral services for the late Mrs. Daniel ELLINGTON, who died in Waynesville early yesterday morning, will be held from the Christian Church in Waynesville Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery.

Deceased was a daughter of Jonathan and Ruth ELLINGTON, and was born in Barry County, Mississippi January 21, 1841. She was married to Daniel ELLINGTON May 30, 1863, when they took up their residence on the farm on which she died.

They were parents of nine children, eight of whom with the husband survive. They are, William of Harrisburg, South Dakota; Isaac of Waynesville; Mrs. William FINGER and Mrs. Charles FINGER of Waynesville; and David, Michael, Sarah and May at home. She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Sarah METCALF of Martinsville, who is 89 years old and blind.

Submitted by Marcia Wriggle


October 22, 1886
Clinton Public

Mrs. Catherine ELLINGTON, one of the oldest inhabitants of Central Illinois, died at the home of her son, Daniel ELLINGTON, east of Waynesville, last Tuesday morning. Mrs. Ellington would have been eighty-three years old had she lived a few days longer. She came to Illinois about 1830, when this country was a wilderness, and settled at Three Mile Grove, near Bloomington. She withstood the full share of her hardships which were the common lot of all early settlers. She and her husband, who died two years ago, lived a long and happy married life, having lived on the old homestead, now occupied by their son Daniel, for forty-five years. Mrs. Ellington was the mother of thirteen children, of which five are now living: Michael, Daniel, Isaac, and Mrs. Elias BROCK, of this vicinity, and David, who is in Kansas. She had been sick about two years.

Note: Catherine Hougham married David E. Ellington July 21, 1822.


April 9, 1915
Clinton Register

Mrs. Watt and Ed Ellington.

Saturday morning at 5:30 at the home of his parents near Waynesville occurred the death of Edward [Edgar] ELLINGTON, one of the well known young men of that vicinity. Tuberculosis of the bones of the hips was the immediate cause of death. He had been a sufferer from rheumatism for the past two years, but tuberculosis only developed about two weeks preceding his death. He was but thirty-three years old. His death was a shock to his many friends in the vicinity of his home, and although he had been a sufferer for some time few were aware that his ailment had reached a dangerous stage.

Edward Ellington was born in this county and had spent his entire life in the Waynesville neighborhood. He was an industrious young man and previous to his illness had been assisting his father in the management of the farm. Besides his parents he is survived by four brothers and four sisters, as follows: William ELLINGTON, of South Dakota; Isaac, Michael and Robert ELLINGTON, Mrs. Viola FINGER and Mrs. Maude FINGER, of Waynesville; and Misses Sadie and Mary ELLINGTON, at home.

Funeral services were held from the family home at ten o'clock Tuesday morning in charge of Rev. F. W. Huff of the Waynesville Christian church. Burial in Evergreen cemetery at Waynesville.

Note from Helen Pate Ross: His name was Edgar Lacey Ellington and he was the son of Daniel and Catherine Ellington. He was nicknamed Wood.

Note: The Illinois Death Index has him listed as Edgar Allen Ellington.


October 18, 1907
Clinton Register


Isaac ELLINGTON, who had lived in DeWitt county over half a century, died Saturday morning at his home near Waynesville, aged 85. He had been in poor health some time, but was confined to his bed only a few days.

Deceased was born in Madison Co., Ohio, April 6, 1822. His grandfather aided the Colonists in their struggle for independence. In 1828, his parents moved to McLean county, Ill., and later moved to near Waynesville, where the father died in 1886.

Deceased was married to Lucy A. NICHOLS in Ohio March 12, 1846. They lived on his father's farm near Waynesville until 1850 when he bought 80 acres; this farm he added to until he owned 480 acres, besides 56 acres of timber, and he continued to live on the farm with his son-in-law, Jeff SPRAGUE. Besides Mrs. SPRAGUE, Cyrus is the only child living. Politically he was a Democrat and never sought office.

Funeral was held in the Christian church in Waynesville Monday, conducted by Rev. T. T. HOLTON, assisted by Rev. SMITH. Burial was in Waynesville cemetery.

Submitted by Marcia Wriggle


September 13, 1901
Clinton Register

Death of Mrs. Ellington.

Mrs. Isaac ELLINGTON died Friday night at her home near Waynesville, aged 75. She had been in poor health about three years, and when taken with typhoid fever death triumphed, for the victory was half won. She was one of the pioneers of the county, and she and her aged husband had occupied the same farm almost half a century. Besides the husband, two children, Mrs. W. J. SPRAGUE and Cyrus ELLINGTON, survive. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon.

Note: Her maiden name was Lucy Nichols.

Mrs. Samuel ELLINGTON 

February 1931
The Pantagraph

(Special to the Pantagraph)

WAYNESVILLE, Feb. 7. – Mrs. Samuel ELLINGTON, 36, died at 2:45 p.m. Friday at her home here. She became seriously ill Tuesday night but had been in ill health several years.

Gladys FOSTER, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward FOSTER, was born July 6, 1894, in Patoka and came to Waynesville with her parents about 20 years ago. She was married to Mr. ELLINGTON April 21, 1915.

Besides her husband and parents she is survived by two daughters, Mildred and Mary Helen; three sisters, Mrs. Letha KEENE, of Clarksville, Iowa, Miss Pearl FOSTER, of Champaign, and Mrs. Kate SAPP, of Waynesville, and one brother, Cecil FOSTER, of Atlanta. She was a member of the Heyworth Methodist Episcopal Church.

The funeral will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Methodist Episcopal church at Waynesville in charge of the Rev. J.C. McMahon. Burial will be in Evergreen cemetery.

Note: Gladys’s date of death was February 6, 1931.

William Franklin ELLINGTON 

May 1919
Paper Unknown

William Franklin ELLINGTON was born in Waynesville, Ill., May 13, 1864. On December 23, 1883, he was united in marriage to Miss Martha SMITH, at Waynesville, in which vicinity they resided until 1911. Ten children were born to this union, two sons having preceded the father in death. Those who survive to mourn his loss are his wife, his aged father Daniel ELLINGTON of Waynesville, Ill., four sisters and three brothers, and the following children: Mrs. Lola NOEL of Waverly, Ia., Mrs. Iva HIERONYMUS of Waynesville, Ill., Mrs. Kathryn MORRISON, Misses Ruth, Maude, Leah, and son Grover C. All of these relatives were present at the funeral services which were held at the home in Harrisburg, Friday of last week; Rev. L. F. Brown officiating. The remains were sent to the old home at Waynesville, Ill., for burial.

Mr. Ellington has resided with his family on a farm near Harrisburg since 1911. During the past year his health has been very poor, and on this account, he was compelled to quit farming and moved to Harrisburg last March. At times Mr. Ellington suffered so severely, but was patient and cheerful until the end which came Wednesday, May 14.

Mr. Ellington was a kind father and husband, a good neighbor, and was always honest and liberal in dealing with his fellowmen, and the people of Harrisburg and vicinity deeply mourn his loss.

Note: William developed liver cancer and died in May 1919. They had moved to Harrisburg S.D. so their blind daughter, Sarah Maude, could go to a special school for the blind in Gary, SD.

Submitted by Marcia Wriggle

Albert M. ELLIS 

July 18, 1890
Clinton Register


A. M. ELLIS died at his home in Wapella July 12, at 7:30 a.m., aged 39 years and was buried at Long Point cemetery Monday, the I.O.O.F. lodge, of which he was secretary and a worthy member, having charge of the funeral ceremonies. Mr. Ellis was an honorable and upright man in all his dealings. He was for many years a successful school teacher, and about a year ago sold his farm northeast of Wapella and moved to that place, and last year was principal of the Wapella schools, being very successful. He was a member of the council of Wapella and was held in high esteem by his many friends who extend their heartfelt sympathy to Mrs. ELLIS and her four fatherless children. The late bereavements of the family makes the death of Mr. Ellis more sad. The mother of Mr. Ellis and the mother of Mrs. Ellis both preceding the death of Mr. Ellis only a few months.

Mrs. James ELLIS 

March 28, 1890
Clinton Public

Mrs. Mary ELLIS, widow of Mr. Jas. ELLIS, died on Thursday morning at McLean. Her remains were interred at Heyworth Friday. At the time of her death she was 76 years of age.

Jonathan ELLIS 

November 4, 1875
Clinton Public

Jonathan ELLIS, an old citizen of this county, died at Waynesville, on last Thursday [Oct. 28], in the seventy-first year of his age.  About five weeks ago, Mr. Ellis went into the pasture lot with a basketful of corn to feed some stock, when a yearling calf jumped upon him and threw him to the ground.  In the fall, Mr. Ellis had two ribs broken, besides receiving severe internal injuries.  Some days after the accident, Mr. Ellis began to vomit blood, when pneumonia set in, which finally resulted in his death.  Up to the time of the accident, Mr. Ellis was hale and hearty for a man of his years.  He leaves an aged widow and five children.  The deceased had been a resident of this county for thirty-eight years.

Mrs. Nancy ELLIS 

September 16, 1892
Clinton Public

Mrs. Nancy ELLIS, of whose death brief mention was made last week, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1822, and was in her seventieth year. In 1842 she was united in marriage to Dr. Edward ELLIS, and nine children were born to them, six of whom are living. Mrs. Ab. CUNNINGHAM, Mrs. Oscar HUBBELL and John are living here, and two sons and one daughter are living in Iowa. All of the children were in Clinton this summer to visit their mother during her last illness. The husband of Mrs. Ellis enlisted in the Twenty-fifth Ohio at the beginning of the war. At the battle of Cheat Mountain he was broken down by the care of the sick and wounded, and three weeks afterward his life was laid on the altar as a sacrifice for his country. Mrs. Ellis was in the receipt of a pension of $12 a month from the time of the death of her husband.

Darius Franklin ELY 

December 9, 1904
Ames Review

Died at his home in Ames, Oklahoma, Saturday, Dec. 3, 1904, Darius Franklin ELY, son of Solomon and Rachel ELY. Deceased was born in Carroll County, Tennessee, May 11, 1832, and was 72 years, 6 months and 22 days old.

When four years old his parents located in DeWitt Co., Ill., and here the son grew up to manhood. He became a Christian while yet in his teens, and he was a member of the Christian church about fifty-five years. He was hurt in a saw mill when quite a young man and never recovered from the accident. He was almost a life-long sufferer, and only his closest friends could ever know the pain he constantly endured. His faith sustained him all though his life of suffering.

Mr. Ely never married. He made his home the greater part of his life with his widowed sister, Mrs. Achsah HALL, now of Ames. He spent several years with her in Kansas. They located in Oklahoma, one mile west of Lacey, fifteen years ago. Two years ago last October they located in Ames where he lived until his death.

Funeral services were conducted by A. J. RHODES in the Christian Church in Ames, Monday, Dec. 5, and the body was taken to the Lacey Cemetery for burial. His youngest sister, Mrs. Susie STEWART and her husband came from Mulvane, Kansas, to attend the funeral; also his half-brother Simpson ELY came from Joplin, Missouri.

Submitted by Donnie Fowler

Edna M. ELY 

February 2, 1900
Clinton Register


Miss Edna M. ELY, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. ELY, was born in Clinton, May 16, 1876, departed this life Jan. 29, 1900, aged 23 years, 8 months and 13 days. Deceased was a graduate of the Clinton high school, having completed the course with the class of '95. She leaves surviving her a mother, two sisters and three brothers, the father and infant sister having gone before her. She was a devoted and faithful church worker, having united with the Christian church of this city, under the preaching of Simpson ELY in 1894. She was a long and patient sufferer, having been an invalid four years. She leaves many mourning friends who will miss her kind and loving words.  Funeral services were held at the Christian church Jan. 31, at 1:30 p.m., conducted by Rev. L. B. PICKERILL, assisted by Rev. E. GILLILAND. Interment in Woodlawn cemetery.

George ELY 

February 6, 1885
Clinton Public

George ELY, infant son of Anderson ELY, died in this city of bronchitis on January 30th, at the age of 5 months and 8 days. George was a pleasant and lovely child and a source of great enjoyment to his parents, who have the sincere sympathy of their neighbors and friends in this deep sorrow.

Mrs. Lafayette ELY 

September 5, 1902
Clinton Register

Both Members of the Christian Church, and One of Them Over Ninety Years of Age.

Two of the good old mothers have been called to a home where all is as a summer's day. Rich in lives that have been full of good and kind deeds they quit the shore of Time happy in the thought they "had so lived that when the summons came they could wrap the drapery of the couch about them and lie down to pleasant dreams." There is no more beautiful life than that of a Christian mother. There is no life that is worth more to the world than that of a good, old mother. When she is called home, there is rejoicing in Heaven and deepest sorrow among those who must say farewell.

[The obituary of Margaret (Carter) Bowles is listed under BOWLES.]

Mrs. Rebecca E. ELY, a patient sufferer for several months, was called to her final home Wednesday morning about 7 o'clock, aged 59 years, 11 months and 15 days. She had been confined to her bed most of the time until the last of July; since then she had been able to be up but little. She was patient through all her suffering, and was ready to answer the final summons.

Rebecca E. HAMMOND was born near Galion, O., Sept. 18, 1842, and was of a family of thirteen children. Her parents, John F. and Lavina HAMMOND, came to this county in 1855, and located on the ground on which stood the house that had been her home so many years. Feb. 2, 1865, she was married to Lafayette ELY, who died about eight years ago. Seven children were born to them, four of whom are living. They are William H., Lee E., John O., and Minnie B., all of Clinton, the latter living with her mother. She is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. J. A. DUNCAN, of Wapella, Mrs. C. P. RICHARDS, of Clinton, and two brothers, John F. HAMMOND, of Bloomington, C. N. HAMMOND, Clinton, Ill. She united with the Methodist church in youth and had been a member of the Christian church seven years. Her life had been such that her reward will be great. Funeral services were held in the Christian church yesterday, conducted by Rev. Gilliland, assisted by Rev. CANADY. Interment in Woodlawn.

May ELY 

February 8, 1901
Clinton Register

Clinton Young Lady Dies at Her Home in This City While Sitting in a Chair.

Wednesday Miss May ELY, daughter of Mrs. Rebecca ELY, was in as good health as she had been for a year and assisted her mother as usual. After dinner she washed the dishes and swept the floor. She then sat in a chair and soon complained of seeming to be losing her sight. A few moments more and she was dead.

Deceased was born in Clinton and was 29 years old. Her father, Lafayette ELY, died a few years ago. She had never been in perfect health but had never been an invalid. She was for several years a member of the Christian church and was an earnest worker. She graduated from the Clinton high school in the class of '91. Her mother, one sister, Minnie, and three brothers, William, Lee and John survive her.

Funeral services at 2:00 o'clock today in the Christian church, conducted by Rev. A. E. GILLILAND, assisted by Rev. L. B. PICKERILL, of DeLand. Burial in Woodlawn.

Rev. Overton ELY 

October 15, 1863
Clinton Public

Death of a Baptist Minister and Soldier.

Rev. Overton ELY, the subject of this notice, was born in Overton county, Tennessee, January 9, 1820. He moved from his native State to Madison county, Illinois, in 1844. He was hopefully converted under the preaching of Elder Dodson in a series of meetings held with the Pleasant Ridge Church in the fall of 1852 and was by him baptized into the fellowship of that church. He soon afterwards began to preach and was licensed by the church, January 1853. In 1855 he moved near Clinton, DeWitt county, and united with the church there and continued his membership in that church until his death. A council was convened in Clinton for his ordination, and he was set apart to the ministry, March 8th, 1860.

In the summer of '62, with thousands of others, he left all he held sacred on earth and entered the service of his country, in the 41st regiment, Illinois volunteers. He was in eight battles, viz.: Fort Henry, Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Hatchie, Vicksburg, and Jackson. It was on the last dreadful assault on Jackson that he was killed, July 12th. So far as can be ascertained, he was first wounded in the left arm, and seated against a stump holding his wounded arm, a shell struck him on the head, carrying away the upper part. Nothing has been heard of him since, as few survived to tell the sad story of the dying and dead. He was buried by rebel hands, but we know not where.

As a true Christian, he carried his religion to the camp and the battlefield and unsolicited members of his company have informed the writer of his devoted piety in camp. He organized a mess of praying men, and kept up a prayer meeting as regular as circumstances would permit in his tent. His regiment mourns his loss and feels that a good man has fallen and that there is one less praying spirit among them. He was regarded among his associates as a brave soldier and a devoted Christian. Thus another herald of the cross has fallen. May we be faithful in our duties as he was and be prepared for the Master's summons. May the widow's God be the support of his afflicted companion and seven fatherless children. —T. REESE

Mrs. Overton ELY 

March 13, 1891
Clinton Public

Death of a Soldier’s Widow.

Mrs. Matilda ELY, mother of George, Lafayette and A. F. ELY, died at the home of her son Lafayette last Sunday morning. Mrs. Ely was born in Tennessee in the year 1819, so that she had lived two years longer than the allotted threescore years and ten. Mrs. Ely was married to Overton ELY in Tennessee in 1840, and four years later they moved to Iowa where they lived for five years. In 1849 they came to Illinois and settled on a farm in Madison County and lived there till 1856, when they came to this county. They first owned the farm that is now the property of W. W. TACKWELL, in Harp township, which they sold before the war and moved into Clinton. Mr. Ely was an ordained minister in the Baptist denomination but did not regularly enter the pastoral work, preferring to preach when Sunday came and manage his farm during the week. When the war broke out Overton Ely enlisted in Co. K, Forty-first Illinois and served his country faithfully in the arduous campaigns in which that gallant regiment took part. He was all through the siege of Vicksburg, and a few days after the surrender of that city he was killed in a fight at Jackson, Mississippi. He was orderly sergeant of his company but for months had been doing a Lieutenant’s duty. His widow received a pension of $8 a month till the law increased it to $12. She was the mother of nine children, five of whom survive her. The funeral services were held in the Baptist Church last Sunday afternoon, after which her remains were buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.

Jeremiah M. EMERICK 

March 7, 1902
Clinton Register

Had Lived in This City Over Forty Years—
Was An Old Soldier—
Funeral Yesterday.

J. M. EMERICK died early Wednesday morning at his home in the west part of the city. He had been afflicted with paralysis about six years and used crutches in walking. The last three or four weeks he had suffered a great deal.

Jeremiah M. Emerick was born in Ohio Nov. 15, 1827. He was married to Miss Mary SPRY, who died in 1863, the husband and three children, J. W., William and Belle, surviving her. He went to the war from Ohio in 1863, serving one year. In 1869 he came to Clinton and it had since been his home. After coming to Clinton he was married to Mrs. Priscilla SMITH, of Urbana, who died Jan. 4, 1901. One son, J. W. EMERICK, survives him.

Funeral services were held at 2:30 yesterday at the home, conducted by Rev. S. C. Black. Interment in Woodlawn.

Mrs. J. Wood EMERICK 

April 25, 1884
Clinton Public

Mrs. J. Wood EMERICK died very suddenly yesterday afternoon. She had only been sick since last Friday, and indeed almost to the hour of her death no serious results were dreamed of. She leaves a husband and one little boy to mourn her early death.

Note: From the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index:

Mrs. Robert S. EMERY 

January 22, 1904
Clinton Register


Mrs. Clara EMERY, wife of R. S. EMERY, died Monday afternoon, at her home on North Grant avenue, of cancer, which she had been afflicted over four years.  Clara E. ROSENCRANS was born near Champaign, Ill., Oct. 5, 1858, and was 45 years old.  Her parents moved to Piatt county, and she graduated from the Monticello High School in 1880.   She then taught school several years in Piatt and DeWitt counties.  She was married to R. S. Emery, Jan. 10, 1891.  Their home had been in Clinton.  She had been a member of the M. E. church many years.  Besides the husband and a daughter, aged 9 years, she is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Stone, of Piatt county; Mrs. Knadler and Mrs. Burkirk, of Oklahoma, and a brother, Wm. Patterson, of Monticello.   Funeral at the residence, Jan. 20, at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. S. C. Black.  Burial in Woodlawn.

Owen Lovejoy ENOS 

April 11, 1917
Clinton Daily Public

Died Peacefully and with His Usual Happy-Go-Lucky Smile on His Face.

O. L. (Lovejoy) ENOS is dead. He was found this morning in the shack on the lot just east of the gas plant dead, with his usual smile on his face. He had been dead for several hours, possibly six or seven, as his body was quite cold.

The inquest was held this afternoon by Deputy Coroner Stone. The verdict was " death from apoplexy." Lovejoy passed away about midnight and his bedmate, Jacob North, the Cleaning Oil man, didn't discover that his partner had left him until long after sunrise this morning. He had been sleeping with Mr. North at his shack at 223 North Madison street, the little building on the lot east of the gas plant.

Gifted Young Man.

Lovejoy was quite a character. The Public was unable today to get hold of very many facts about his early life, but, he was said to have been a gifted young man and an employee many years ago of a local bank. Drink got hold of him and he had been addicted to its constant use for years. But he always appeared happy and always bobbed up smiling.

Was 57 Years Old.

Mr. Enos was 57 years, 6 months and 17 days old. He was born in DeWitt county and has always made his home here, and followed the occupation of a painter and paperhanger. He was a widower, his wife having preceded him in death several years. He is survived by two children, Owen L. ENOS, Jr., and Mrs. Earl GOENS, both of this city and by one brother, M. C. ENOS, of Harp township.

The body will be taken to DeWitt on Friday for burial in the DeWitt cemetery.


April 13, 1917
Clinton Daily Public

Funeral of O. L. Enos.

Funeral services for the late Owen L. ENOS were held from the Christian church this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Rev. R. V. Callaway, pastor of the church, was in charge. Interment was made in DeWitt cemetery.


January 15, 1904
Clinton Register

Another Old Soldier Mustered Out—
Had Been Sick Only a Few Days—
Funeral Tomorrow.

William ENTWISLE died yesterday afternoon at his home in Clinton, aged 55 years and 29 days.

Deceased was born in Cincinnati, Dec. 15, 1848.  He came to Illinois and Dec. 31, 1876, was married to Miss Anna NESBITT, in Maroa.  Except a few years spent in Texas and Oklahoma they had since lived in Maroa and this county.  Since 1895 they had lived in Clinton.  Of the six children born to them, only one, Robert W., is living.

Nov. 1, 1863, when 18 [15?] years old, he enlisted in Co. D, 2d Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Cavalry and served till Dec. 2, 1865.  He rose to the rank of captain, and was discharged at Ft. Snelling on account of disability.  He had been a member of the G. A. R. and held a card showing honorable membership, but had never joined the Clinton post.  Of a family of four children, only one, Mrs. Thomas TYSON, of McLean, Ill., survives.  She was present when death came.

Funeral services at the residence, 321 W. Jefferson street, at 10:30 tomorrow, conducted by Rev. Gilliland, assisted by Rev. Black.  Burial in Texas cemetery.

Mrs. Pauline EPPSTEIN 

July 26, 1901
Clinton Register

Pauline EPPSTEIN, wife of Abe, died on Friday, July 26, 1901, aged 49 years, 5 months, in Farmer City. Funeral: late residence, July 29th. Burial: Bloomington.

Submitted by Unknown

EVANS (infant) 

November 5, 1897
Clinton Public

The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. B. EVANS was buried Sunday.

Alvin EVANS 

January 9, 1885
Clinton Public

Called Home, by the hand of death, December 19th, Alvin EVANS, youngest son of Mary J. and Thomas B. EVANS, aged 11 months and 21 days.  It is said, “Death loves a shining mark,” and assuredly it has taken from the home of these fond parents their lovely boy, so precious and dear to them.  Yet amid their grief and sorrow they can say, “My boy is safe in the arms of Jesus”.  Mourning parents, be of good cheer; “it is well with the child”.  Strive to meet your Master and the loved one gone before you, for in heaven they await your coming.   —E. A. S.

Charles W. EVANS 

December 1, 1893
Clinton Public

Charley W. EVANS, the four-year old son of Mr. Walter C. EVANS, an Illinois Central engineer, died of membranous croup on last Saturday evening.  The funeral was at Woodlawn on Tuesday afternoon.


April 21, 1905
Clinton Register

After a brief illness Ely EVANS died at his home Thursday morning about 4 o'clock, aged 72 years; burial was in Rose cemetery.


May 5, 1905
Clinton Register

Ely EVANS died Apr. 20, 1905, aged 72 years.  He moved to Illinois in 1858 and settled in Macon county in 1869, from where he had since lived.  He was married to Eliza JENKINS Mar. 25, 1858, in Ohio.  Twelve children were born to them, four of whom and his wife are deceased.  Those living are as follows: Charles, William, Mrs. Elizabeth KING, Hiram, Mrs. M. NEWBERRY, of Wapella; Mrs. Alice MORROW, John, Miss Ida B., of Lane; there are also 20 grandchildren.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. T. H. Miller.

Mrs. Ely EVANS 

March 8, 1904 - Tuesday
The Decatur Herald
Decatur, Illinois


Mrs. Eliza EVANS, wife of Eli [Ely] EVANS, died today [March 6] at her home three miles west of Lane, very unexpectedly.  Heart disease was the cause.  She was born in Zanesville, O., in 1804 and in 1858 was married to Mr. Evans.  They moved to Macon county where they lived for two years and later came to Clintonia township where they have since resided.  A husband and seven children survive.  The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock Tuesday from the residence.

Note: She was born in 1838 and eight children survived her.

Submitted by Kathy Ikeda


March 8, 1904 - Tuesday
The Daily Reviw
Decatur, Illinois

Mrs. Eliza Evans Buried.

Clinton, Ills., March 8–The funeral of Mrs. Eliza EVANS, wife of Eli [Ely] EVANS of near Lane, was held this morning at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Mr. Thrasher, and interment was in Rose Cemetery.

Mrs. Eliza Evans had been complaining a little of late, but nothing was thought of it, for she had not felt well for two years.  Sunday morning she arose and was about the house, but again laid down.  When she was called for breakfast a little later, she was found to be dead.  Heart trouble was the cause of her sudden demise.

Mrs. Evans was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William JENKINS, and was born near Zanesville, O.  She was over 64 years of age.  March 29, 1858, she was married to Eli Evans in Ohio, and in 1860 they came to Macon county, Ills., and about ten years later moved to Creek township, where they spent over thirty years.

She leaves her husband and the following children: C. L.; W. A.; John A., Clinton; Hiram H., Maroa; Miss Ida Bell, Ospur; Mrs. Alice MORROW, Ospur; Mrs. Margaret A. NEWBERRY, Wapella; Mrs. Elizabeth KING, Clinton.

Submitted by Kathy Ikeda


March 11, 1904 - Friday
Clinton Register

Mrs. Ely EVANS died about 7 o'clock Sunday morning at her home, aged 66, after being sick some time.  She had been married over 40 years.  Funeral services were held Tuesday at the residence at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Thrasher.  An account of her life will be given in the REGISTER next week.


March 18, 1904 - Friday
Clinton Register

One of the Well-Known Mothers of Creek Township Dies Suddenly at Her Home.

The sudden and unexpected death of Mrs. Ely EVANS was noted last week.  The following account has been furnished for publication:

Though she had been complaining some time she had not been considered dangerously ill, and was about the house a few minutes before the final summons came, at 7 o'clock, the morning of March 6.

Miss Eliza JENKINS was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William JENKINS, and was born in Perry county, O., in the year 1838, and was 56 [66] years of age.  March 25, 1858, she was married to Ely EVANS, and they have been in this county 33 years.  Twelve children were born to them, and she was, indeed, a mother to all other children whom she knew.  She was kind and loving to all, and her worth is more realized when she is silent in death.  She always had a smile and word of consolation for all.  She had been a faithful member of the United Brethren church since she was 16 years old.

Of the children, four are dead.  Eight children and the husband mourn a kind mother and loving wife, their best friend.  The children are William A., Charles L., Mrs. Elizabeth KING, Hiram H., Mrs. Maggie NEWBERRY, Miss Ida B., John A., Mrs. Allie MORROW, all of whom were present.     [poem omitted]

Funeral services were held at the residence, Tuesday, March 8, at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. R. Thrasher.  Burial in Rose Cemetery.

John Anderson EVANS

July 13, 1922
Woodford County Journal


John Anderson EVANS was born March 16, 1851, in Atlanta, Illinois, and passed into the Great Beyond July 6, 1922, aged 71 years, 8 months and 20 days, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. D. Diehl, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he had but recently gone for a summer visit.  Besides his beloved companion and helpmeet, Ada Clara (nee Hunter), with whom he was united in holy wedlock on March 16, 1882, and their daughter Nannie Evans Deihl, there remain to mourn his loss two children of a former marriage with Gabie Shields, Charles Elbert and Ida Myrtle.

Ever since his youth Mr. Evans has been a member of the Christian church, lending his active support to the causes it championed.  His busy life left him little time for other activities, but he was a member of the independent Order of Odd Fellows and also of the Modern Woodmen of America.

The most characteristic thing about “Uncle Johnnie” and “Mother Evans,” as this beloved pair were familiarly called by the students of Eureka for twenty years, was their sympathetic understanding and labors in behalf of the young people who had the good fortune to live in their home during the years spent in college.  “Uncle Johnnie” was a real father to the young men temporarily in his charge, and his ever kindly and sincere advice has been of untold influence on the lives of hundreds with whom he came in contact.

In his early years a tiller of the soil, Mr. Evans later reverted to that calling and acquired a farm in New Mexico where he worked successfully for some twelve years after he left Eureka in 1907.  Even in his declining days, when active farming became too severe for his strength, he was not content to remain in idleness; and for the past three years he has given freely of his ripe experience to the development and upbuilding of certain agricultural departments of the Southern Christian Institute at Edwards, Mississippi.  In fact, he remained at his labors there up to within a month of his death.

He seemed recently to have a feeling that his days were numbered, and had taken pains to set the affairs of his earthly house in order.  His end was peaceful and without suffering; his heart, worn out with its strenuous service for others, simply refused longer to perform its functions.  As he lay among the floral tributes from loving friends, with the peace of contentment with a life well spent upon his countenance, the words of his seven-year-old granddaughter struck a chord of response in all hearts when she said: “The reason grandpa can lie in this beautiful place is that he was always so good to everybody.”

The remains were brought here and buried in Olio Cemetery on Sunday afternoon, after a funeral service at the Christian church, conducted by J. S. Barnett, pastor of the Christian church at Harvey, Ill., assisted by Prof. B. J. Radford.  The song service was rendered by Mrs. Margaret Tomb, Mrs. Minnie Ewing and Messrs. Skelton and Madison.  The pallbearers were R. J. Dickinson, E. J. Davidson, A. J. Mourer, Earle Bennett and T. J. and J. A. McGuire.

Note: John Anderson Evans was the son of Lemuel and Rebecca (Arnold) Evans.  John's mother married five times, eventually becoming Rebecca (Arnold) Evans Bowles Henry Ellington Strong.

Submitted by Edd Marks

Mrs. John Anderson EVANS (1) 

May 1881
Paper Unknown

Mrs. J. A. EVANS died on last Wednesday, the 11th inst.  Her remains were taken to Old Union cemetery the day following.  Mrs. Evans has been a sufferer, caused by spinal trouble, for the past two long years.  She was one of our noblest women, bearing her misfortune with that patience that is never excelled, rarely equaled.  She was conscious to the last, and being one of those who believe that true happiness only exists beyond the grave, called her relatives to her bedside, bidding them farewell and asking them to join her over the river of death.  Mrs. Evans leaves two children to mourn her loss.

Note: Gabriella L. (Shields) Evans was born in Breckenridge County, Kentucky, January 17, 1848, and was the daughter of William and Mary Ann (Beckwith) Shields.  She was the wife of John Anderson Evans and had two children, Charles and Mertie Evans.

Submitted by Edd Marks

Mrs John Anderson EVANS (2) 

June 6, 1927
Woodford County Journal


Ada C. HUNTER was born at Atlanta, Ill., July 18, 1859.  She was married to John A. EVANS, March 16, 1882.  They came to Eureka in 1891, where for sixteen years they kept student boarders; part of the time in Lida’s Wood, and part of the time in their home on College Avenue.  In 1907 they removed to Texico, N. M., where they lived for fifteen years, spending part of the time with their daughter, Mrs. Nannie DEIHL, in Madison and Milwaukee, Wis.  The husband died July 6, 1922, and after the death of her son-in-law, J. D. DEIHL, in 1823, Mrs. Evans lived with her daughter in Milwaukee.  In July, 1926, she went to visit her brother in New Mexico, where, on Oct. 13, she suffered a paralytic stroke.  In January she was brought to Milwaukee, where, suffering a second stroke, she died June 2, 1927.  She is survived by her daughter, Mrs. Deihl, and four grandchildren; also by two step-children, Miss Myrtle and Charles EVANS.

At the age of eighteen she became a member of the Christian church, and remained steadfast to the end.

The body was brought here for burial in Olio cemetery, and on Monday afternoon funeral services were conducted in the Christian church by Pastor Helfer, assisted by Professors Jones and Radford.  The song service was rendered by Prof. Higdon, Mrs. Annie Madison at the piano.  The pallbearers were J. M. Allen, R. J. Dickinson, S. G. Harrod, T. J. McGuire, H. A. Pearson and G. W. Wadsworth.

Note: Ada Clara (Hunter) Evans was the daughter of William Travis and Nancy (Beckwith) Hunter.

Submitted by Edd Marks

William H. EVANS

Published on page 17 of the Decatur (IL) Herald on Friday, 25 May 1917

Creek Township Man Dies.
W. H. Evans of Creek township died about 6 o’clock Wednesday night after a long illness. He was 54 years old and was born in Macon county. He is survived by several brothers and sisters. They are: Hiram H., John A., Ida Belle, all of Creek township; C. L. and Mrs. Alice Morrow of Texas township and Mrs. Marjorie Newberry of Wapella. The funeral will be held in the home of a sister in Creek township at 2 o’clock Friday afternoon, Rev. R. V. Callaway of Clinton officiating.

Published on page 2 of The Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL) on Friday, 25 May 1917

William Evans Dies.
William Evans, residing about five miles and a half southeast of this city, died at his home about 6 o’clock last night after a short illness. The deceased was about 53 years of age and made his home with his sister, Miss Belle Evans. He is survived by several brothers and sisters Hiram H., John A., Ida Belle, all of Creek township; C. L. of Texas; Elizabeth King, of Texas; Alice Morrow, of Texas, and Marjorie Newberry, of Wapella. The funeral will be held from the home of the decedent’s sister in Creek township Friday afternoon at 2 p. m., Rev. Ralph V. Callaway to officiate. Interment will follow at Rose Hill Cemetery near Lane.

Submitted by Kathy Ikeda

John M. EWING 

October 18, 1901
Clinton Register

Another of Clinton's Aged Fathers Called to Rest—
Lived in This County Nearly Fifty Years.

One by one the ripened sheaves are being gathered in. One by one the aged pilgrims are laid to rest. After a busy life of 87 years John M. EWING died at 5:30 Sunday morning at the home of his son, Thomas, just three years before [after] his wife died at 1:30 in the morning in the same house. They were married June 26, 1836, and for over sixty years they shared each other's sunshine and shadows before she joined loved ones on the other shore. They were devoted to each other, and no doubt he longed for the time when he would again be with her.

John M. Ewing was born in Zanesville, O., Sept. 17, 1814, and lived 87 years, 2 months and 26 days. When 14 years old he began to learn the shoemaker's trade. When grown to manhood he discovered coal on the Richey farm in Muskingum county, O., and the coal was mined under his management about sixteen years. June 23, 1836, he was married to Matilda RICHEY. In 1857 they moved to this county, settling on a farm in Harp township, where they lived until a few years ago when they went to live with their son, which had since been his home. Of the six children born to them three are living, Mrs. M. WARRICK and Thomas, of Clinton, and Simon B. of White Heath.

He was always a Universalist, but had no opportunity to unite with the church in this county until the Clinton church was organized. He attended regularly when his health would admit. Politically he was a Democrat. A brother lives in California and a sister in Iowa.

Funeral services were held at the residence Monday at 2:30, conducted by Rev. Gossow, assisted by Dr. Cook, of Galesburg, six grandsons being pall bearers. Interment in Woodlawn.

Louise EWING 

November 26, 1886
Clinton Public

It is appointed unto man once to die, but whether death comes to the prattling child who is taking its first lessons in life, or to the aged father or mother who have lived the allotted years of threescore and ten, there is a void in the home circle that never can be filled. No household can spare one of its members, and much less can the mother become reconciled to the death of the baby of the family, in whose little life her whole being is centered. How tenderly does the mother watch over her child and how her heart is wrung with grief when she knows that for the disease which is preying upon its life there is no remedy in the skilled physician's art. Death recently entered the home of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas EWING and took from them the life of the household. Baby Louise was less than twenty months old when the summons came that she should pass from the loving care of earthly parents to the eternal home where sickness and death are unknown.

Note: Louise (aka Nora Louise) was the daughter of Thomas and Ordelia Ewing.

Simon B. EWING 

April 21, 1911
Clinton Register


Tuesday S. B. EWING was about the streets of Clinton and was in his usual health, when he retired at night he was still, so far as he knew, in good health. He slept well till toward morning, when he awoke with a severe pain in his left side near the shoulder. He awoke his wife about half past four but neither felt the danger of the attack. Soon he realized the importance of securing a doctor, and telephoning for one, but before he arrived, Mr. Ewing had passed away.

Simon B. Ewing was born in Muskingum County, Ohio. June 9, 1853, and his parents John and Matilda Ewing came to Clinton, Illinois, a few years later, and located on a farm near Clinton, which was his home most of the time until recent years. For a few weeks he had been here tuning pianos and contemplated opening a music store in Clinton. He and his wife had a room at the home of Chas. Shoemaker, on West Jefferson street.

In 1893 he was married to Miss Metta MITCHELL, who with three children survive, Ross, of Peoria, Carl and Fred, of Decatur. He is also survived by a sister, Mrs. Matt Warrick and a brother Thomas Ewing of Clinton.

Funeral services were held in the Universalist church yesterday at 3 o'clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev. Laing. Burial in Woodlawn.

Stewart S. EWING 

January 4, 1895
Clinton Public

Death of Stewart S. Ewing.

Word came to Clinton yesterday of the death of Stewart S. EWING, which occurred at his home in Decatur at an early hour in the morning. Mr. Ewing was born in Ohio, some sixty-five years ago, and along about 1856 he came to Clinton and engaged in the marble business, and carried it on till 1873, when he moved to Decatur and made his home there. Mr. Ewing belonged to a past generation in Clinton, but he is held in pleasant remembrance by the older Clintonians. He was an active member of the Methodist Church in this city, and gave liberally of his means to the building of the church away back in the sixties, besides always contributing his fair share toward current expenses. In his church relations he was a member of the official board, a class leader, and for a long time superintendent of the Sunday-school. Mr. Ewing left Clinton just at the wrong time. Down to 1873 the tombstone and marble business was not a profitable one in Clinton, but after Woodlawn Cemetery became the property of the city, there was a demand for fine monuments, and no country cemetery in the State will make a better showing.

Mr. Ewing was a brother of Mr. John EWING. He was married to a sister of the late Mrs. Wm. HUMPHREY. Three sons were born to them, one of whom died young and lies buried in Woodlawn. The other two boys have grown to manhood and are fine business men. Mr. Ewing was a member of the Odd Fellows lodge in this city. His remains will be brought from Decatur to Clinton for interment in Woodlawn Cemetery, and will be here at ten o'clock on Saturday (tomorrow) morning. The funeral will be in charge of a committee of Odd Fellows from Decatur, and will be met by Olive Lodge of this city on the arrival of the train on Saturday morning. The funeral procession goes direct to Woodlawn from the train. There should be a large attendance of Methodists, especially of the older members.


January 11, 1895
Clinton Public

The remains of the late S. S. EWING were brought from Decatur to Clinton last Saturday morning and interred in Woodlawn Cemetery. A committee of the Decatur lodge of Odd Fellows came as an escort, and they were met at the station in this city by the Clinton lodge and brethren from Wapella, and a large number of the old-time friends of Mr. Ewing. Men and women with whom he worked in the Methodist Church here a quarter of a century ago were there to pay the last rites to the memory of one who was always faithful.

Thomas EWING 

April 4, 1913
Clinton Register

Had Lived in DeWitt County Nearly All His Life, and Was Active in Works of Progress.

From the ranks of the survivors of the Rebellion another of the heroes of that memorable struggle has fallen and the heads of the surviving comrades are bowed in sorrow. There was perhaps no one among them that they held in higher esteem than Thomas EWING. He was always cheerful and ready to assist them in any way in his power. He had a host of friends among his comrades and all others, and his passing away causes general regret.

He was taken sick early in the in the year, but after two weeks was able to be up town. He became worse next day and did not again leave his home, though he had not been confined to his bed all the time until about three weeks ago. There had been little hope for his recovery for two weeks, and the end came about 10 o'clock this morning, aged 70 years, 10 months and 10 days.

Thomas Ewing was born near Zanesville, O., May 24, 1842. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. John EWING, came to DeWitt county and located in Barnett township in 1858, but later bought a farm in Harp township where their children grew to manhood and womanhood. In 1861, when 20 years old, Mr. Ewing began teaching school which he continued fourteen years, teaching in only three districts, all near his home. Previous to this he had served in the army, enlisting in 1862.

In 1873 he bought the home he has since occupied in South Clinton and engaged in the coal and grain business which he had since continued. A few years ago his son Mont became a partner in the business and the partnership had continued in force.

He was married to Miss Ordelia McCUDDY, daughter of Isaac McCUDDY, an early settler of the county. In them were born three children, who with their mother survive him. They are Russell, who occupies the farm owned by his father in Harp township; Mont V. and Mrs. Walter MARVEL, of Chicago. He is also survived by a sister, Mrs. Madison WARRICK, of Clinton.

While not a resident of Clinton proper he was always much interested in its progress and several years ago joined a company that prospected for coal. He was also active in promoting the Weldon Springs Chautauqua and was treasurer and a director five years. He was chairman of the committee in remodeling the building bought by the Knights of Pythias for a lodge room. He was a member of the G. A. R. and was serving the second term as member of the board of education of the Clinton schools.

For several years Mr. Ewing had been a member of the Universalist church and always active in church work. Politically he had always been a Democrat and much interested in the success of that party. He had never held a political office. He was popular and often urged to accept a nomination. Only once did he consent and then came within sixty votes of election as supervisor, though the township was about 250 Republican.

Funeral services will be held Sunday at 2:30 in the Universalist church, conducted by Rev. A. H. Laing.


April 11, 1913
Clinton Register


The funeral of Thomas EWING, which was held at the Universalist church last Sunday afternoon, was attended by one of the largest audiences ever assembled at a funeral service in Clinton. Many who went to the church could not be admitted, as the building was already crowded. Almost the entire seating except in the balcony was reserved for the relatives, Knights of Pythias, G. A. R., W. R. C. and McCorkle Club. There were about thirty floral offerings.

The services were conducted by Rev. A. H. LAING, who gave a brief account of the life of the deceased. The singing was by a quartette composed of J. D. ROGERS, B. F. HARRISON, Peter LUNDH and Wm. CRANG, and by Miss Guna KELLY, who sang a favorite song of the deceased. A. F. Miller played the piano. The pall bearers were John KILLOUGH, Jacob ZIEGLER, E. H. MITCHELL, Chas. GIDEON, Richard SNELL and I. N. BAILOR. Burial was in Woodlawn cemetery.