Original Muscatine Co IA Genealogy Home Page - Miscellaneous Newspaper Clippings  

Muscatine Co Iowa 

Newspaper Clippings

with references to
Louisa, Scott, Johnson and Cedar Counties
Random collection of clippings from newspaper, church and other newsletters to add a little character to our Muscatine County ancestors. 
Contributions always welcome! 
Include the source of the clipping (if known) and your email address.

Contributed by Connie Fulkerson [email protected]
Muscatine Daily Journal, Tuesday, August 31, 1880

Golden Wedding.

On the 28th inst., Mr. and Mrs. Levi Cross, of Seventy-Six township, reached the 50th mile-stone in their wedded life, in honor of which, their relatives and friends made them quite an agreeable surprise. Although a minister was present to officiate, the aged couple would not permit the scene of 50 years ago to be repeated, but they did presnet themselves, with pleasant faces and bright smiles, to a serenading party composed principally of ladies, both old and young, and, after the usual greeting on such occasions, the young (?) couple invited the party into the house and all enjoyed a feast of good things, such as sweetmeats, ice cream, &c.

When the time came to separate a few appropriate remarks were directed to our hero and heroine by Rev. Harris Johnson, of Jones county.

Owing to the inclemency of the weather, there were only about 50 persons present.
The following were among the articles presented:
        1 rocking arm-chair - on pivot.
        1 folding rocking arm chair.
        1 set goblets.
        1 water pitcher.
        1 tureen.
        1 dress.
        And quite a quantity of silver coin.

Although the presents were not gold, we can consider it a golden wedding, as it was purchased with its equivalent.


Muscatine Iowa Journal 6 July 1883 page 2.
Contributed by June Brewer Welsch

Our community owe much to Mr. Joseph Morrison who has met with such a terrible domestic loss for the rigid quarantine measures enforced by him to prevent the diphtheria desolating his hearth from invading the homes of others.  It is now believed that Muscatine has seen the worst of this visit of diphtheria, but this should not lessen the vigilance of citizens in keeping their premises and surroundings free from the foul spots that invite the steps of the pestilence.  The Marshal's example is a good one to follow scatter the lime around plentifully.

Next to Mr. and Mrs. Morrison for whom so profound a sympathy is felt by the city, no one can be more entitled to our tenderest compassion than Mrs. Joseph Beard of Wapello Iowa, so recently a member of the home circle and who has been compelled to hear of her little sisters and brothers sickening and dying without her being granted the scant but sweet consolation of seeing them before their burial forever from her sight.  The old residents of the neighborhood who could but observe the peculiarly loving relations existing between this eldest sister and these children will appreciate in some measure the anguish of the days to her now passing.

(Four children of Joseph and Sarah Morrison died of diphtheria within a 7 day period in 1883)


1903 Muscatine, Iowa Journal.
Contributed by June Brewer Welsch

Joseph Morrison this morning handed in his resignation as assistant county auditor and will in a short time remove his family to Arkansas, where he will make his future home.  Mr. Morrison has been a resident of Muscatine for over half a century and during that time has made many friends who regret to hear of his determination to leave the city.  During his long residence here he has done many things for the improvement of the city and the bettering of the conditions surrounding his fellow men.  He has always been a public spirited man and has held many offices of trust within the giving of the people and never has he violated any confidence placed in him.  He has merited and received the highest respect that could be paid to him by friends and neighbors.  As a public official he has been very faithful in the performance of his duties and of strict adherence to what he thought was right.  He is a man who has always made and held friends readily and it is no wonder that his departure from the scenes of his early life should be a source of keen regret to all who know him.

Came here in 1855

Mr. Morrison came to Muscatine in September., 1855 and since that time has resided here continuously. It was over 20 years ago that he first entered the court house as an employee and since that time he has served almost continuously, making over 22 years of faithful service for the people of Muscatine  county.  In 1868 he was chosen as deputy treasurer and served in that capacity for a term of 5        years; he then was elected treasurer and served for a term of 6 years.  In 1892 he took up the work of assistant county auditor and has worked faithfully in that department for the past 11 years, completing the 22 year in the service of the people.  He helped organize the first fire department for the city of Muscatine and in 1876 commenced his four years of service as chief of that department.  At a later period he served on the school board for a term of 3 years and during that time suggested many improvements to better the condition of the pupils.  During the administration of John Mahin as postmaster, Mr. Morrison served for 2 years as assistant and gave most satisfactory service to Uncle Sam's patrons.

He has purchased an 80 acre farm in Arkansas and he expects to make his future home in the sunny south.  The farm contains 35 acres of fine hardwood timber, while the remainder is under cultivation.
Arrangements for his departure are nearly completed and as soon as he can pack his household goods and close up the work at his desk in the court house he will leave the city where he has lived for over a half a century.  Mr. Morrison has been at the court house so long that he has practically become a fixture there and the attaches are loath to think of the time when his desk will be empty and the chair

Joseph Morrison after living several years on the farm, with his wife Sarah and two sons Joseph and Robert moved to the nearby small town of Ratcliff Arkansas where he died in 1910.

1880 Census; Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa, Page 207A
Joseph Morrison, head, 48, born PA. Banker, both parents born IRE
Sarah, Wife, 31 born PA, Keeping House, both parents born PA
Ella B., Dau, 8, born IA
Henry H., Son, 7, born IA, At School
Joseph W., Son, 5, born IA
Bessie H., Dau, 3, born IA
Carrie Ruff, Other, 16, born IA, Domestic Service,  Fa: born GER, Mo: born GER

He was in the 1900 Muscatine County Iowa Census page 128 as follows;
Joseph Morrison 69 born PA married 30 years,
Sarah 51 born PA she had 4 children and 2 still living;
Joseph W. 25 son born IA;
Robert C. 14 born IA;
John Epperly lodger 64 born OH.

From Muscatine, Iowa, Journal, Dec. 11, 1906
Contributed by June Brewer Welsch

North Prairie, Ia., Dec. 11--Mrs. Eugene Maylone and children are spending a few days with Mr. and Mrs. Joe Essex, near Spangler chapel.

From Muscatine Journal March 7, 1909
Contributed by June Brewer Welsch

John Bassett Identifies Coat Said to
Have Been Worn By Harry Jones
Night of Murder and Found
Among Effects in Kansas.

With her sister lying cold in death in South Muscatine, Mrs. Nancy E. Brewer, feeble, blind and trembling with emotion, was led to the witness stand in the Jones trial at 4:10 o'clock yesterday afternoon to  testify against the man she firmly believes killed her nephew and niece Mr. and Mrs. William Van Winkle.  Suffering with the terrible affliction of almost total blindness with approaching deafness and other infirmities of age, she nerved herself to a supreme effort to aid the state in calling to justice the man it alleges is guilty of the fiendish murder.  It was a magnificent example of human endeavor inspired in a measure perhaps through vengeance, but nevertheless with the infinite desire that justice and justice alone should be done.  She told a well connected and unusually lucid story, though finding it necessary on one or two occasions to rest during her examination.  Her coition, her apparent effort and convincing sincerity, no doubt carried with it an influence and weight that would have been entirely absent had a younger more vigorous woman related precisely the same facts.

Her Testimony

Mrs. Brewer told of Jones' visit to her home the night of the murder, and after the remark by Mrs. Eliza Van Winkle, that she was going to remain at Brewer's all night, and his decision to then go to Billy Van Winkle's and arrange to remain there that night.  She also related the fact that drinks were passed around by the defendant and in fact told the same story her son Glen Brewer related earlier during the trial corroborating his statements in every particular.

The closing hour of the afternoon session was devoid of sensation developments yesterday, though several witnesses were examined.  The most important of the testimony was the identification of the coat said to have been worn by Jones the night of the murder, just before John Bassett left the stand.  The coat, however has not as yet been introduced in evidence and will not be until possibly Wednesday, when additional testimony concerning it will be produced by the state.  Mr. Bassett declared that as Jones attempted to crawl through a barbed wire fence on the way to town from the Bassett cabin boat, he snagged the coat in one of the projecting points, and by that means Mr. Bassett was enabled to identify it, as he released it, at the time.

Nina Brewer Next.

Mrs. Nina Brewer, wife of Glen Brewer, was the next witness called and told also of finding Jones at the Brewer home when she returned with her husband.  She heard him say, she slated, that he had made arrangements to stay all night at Van Winkle's and told of Jones slapping her on the hips while she was getting a piece of cloth upon which the defendant intended to draw some pictures.  Attorney Warner did not cross examine the witness.

Visited Crabtree's

Della Crabtree told of seeing the defendant the afternoon before the murder, stating that he had called at her home and requested her to get him a glass of warm water, after enquiring whether or not there was anyone at home.  She did not get the water, and after a few minutes Jones left, going in the directions of the depot.  The most significant part of the testimony was that Jones after the girl had told him no one was at home, went to the door and rapped, and then asked for a glass of cold water, which was also refused.  Miss Crabtree was the last witness on the stand yesterday.

Note:  For more on this story, see the obituary of Mary Eliza Van Winkle, the sister of Nancy E. Brewer.  Mrs. Van Winkle was scheduled to testify in the case, but died the night before her testimony was to be made.
It took about two years to catch Jones and then he hung himself while waiting trial.

Contributed by June Brewer Welsch
Muscatine IA Journal Dec. 12, 1909 page 5

On Account of Its Distance from Hydrant
Firemen Had Difficulty in Throwing Water on Flames.
Fire of an unknown origin last evening partly destroyed the residence on Nebraska street, occupied by Free Brewer and family.  The fire had not gained much headway when first discovered, but on account of the distance of the house from a hydrant, it was some time before water could be thrown upon the flames.  The Kaiser hose company was the first to arrive and laid 1,200 feet of hose, but it was not until the Roach company coupled their hose with that of the Kaiser department that water could be eflectively used.  The fireman managed to save the home from complete destruction and also confined the blaze to the house, not allowing any of the surrounding residences or barns to catch on fire.  When the fire was first noticed it was confined to a small space near the stove and it is thought that a defective flue caused the conflagration.  The home is owned by Blessing brothers and the loss is estimated at from $500 to $800.

Contributed by: Jim Albanese, Salinas, CA  [email protected]
Muscatine Journal 12/11/1909 and 12/15/1909

At no extra expense, here are a few news items about family skeletons.  My first half-cousin twice removed is the spurned husband in this tale that could be called "The Bridges of Muscatine County."

Mexican Who Eloped With Fairport Man's Wife Arrested
Woman No Longer With Him

Davenport, Ia., Dec. 11 - After making good his escape for over six weeks with the spouse of John Chatterton, of Fairport, Ia., with whom he ran away after a brief acquaintance, Frank Aguilar, a Mexican of good appearance and about 35 years of age, was last evening arrested by Officers Sanford and Dana while he was drinking with companions in an East Second street saloon.

 At the time Aguilar was placed under arrest by the officers he readily admitted that he was the man who ran away with Mrs. Chatterton and expressed little or no regret at having been arrested for the crime. He was taken to the county jail where he will remain until some disposition is made of his case.

 Immediately after Aguilar was placed under arrest, word was send to the deserted husband at Fairport and he is expected to arrive in Davenport today to complete some arrangements for the prosecution of the wife theat and to get his erring spouse. At the present time Mrs. Chatterton is living in Silvis where it is thought that she has become enamored of another man. It has been about three weeks since Aguilar was last seen with Mrs. Chatterton and he claims he has not lived with her for more than a month.


Davenport, Ia., Dec. 15 - A sudden termination to the Fairport episode, in which Mrs. John Chatterton deserted her husband about six weeks ago for Frank Aguilar a newly found paramour, was effected last evening as the principals in the nearly marital tragedy were at the ferry dock awaiting their transport to Rock Island, where the prosecution of the case was to be carried out, when the wife, laying aside her seven months' old baby, threw her arms around her husband's neck and cried, "Oh, John, you are not going to take me to Rock Island and prosecute me, are you?" Immediately the bars were down and the husband embraced his wife with emotion and while they were thus held in each other's arms. Officer Sanford turned to Frank Aguilar the disturber of the home and with a motion told him that he was free. With the avidity of one pursued, the erstwhile paramour took to his heels and is doubtless miles from the city.

Here's another tale about those fun-loving Chattertons. The date is uncertain. Around 1910 give or take five years is where I'd guess:

Wm. Chatterton, Who Escaped at Glenwood, Ia.
Found in Muscatine

Special to the Democrat
Muscatine, Ia., June 20 - A representative of the state school for the feeble minded at Glenwood was expected her Saturday evening to take charge of William Chatterton, 20-year-old youth, who was captured here last night following his escape from the school several days ago. Chatterton is the youth who attempted to wreck the Golden State Limited of the Rock Island railroad last spring by spiking a switch at the lower end of the Fairport yards. The local yards were watched last night in the belief that he wold return here, and he was picked up by Earl Johnson, special agent for the Rock Island and George Miller, a member of the local force, after he had alighted from a freight train.


Taken from the Muscatine Iowa Journal 7 May 1918
Contributed by June Brewer Welsch

Little Fay Meeker six year old g/son of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Meeker was severely injured when he accidentally discharged a air rifle last evening.  The boy had been playing with the loaded gun for sometime when he pulled the trigger, one shot striking between his eyes and a second striking his upper lip and severely lacerating it.  Dr. C. L. Eland was immediately called and dressed his injuries.  He was considerably improved this afternoon.


Muscatine Iowa Journal May 1, 1919 Page 9
Contributed by June Brewer Welsch


A bitter fight for the possession of a 14-year old child, started seven years ago, will reach its climax in district court at 9 o'clock Saturday morning, when a habeas corpus proceedings started by Mrs. J. H.  Vance of Texas to regain control of her daughter Hazel, who now lives with her stepmother, Mrs. Charles Dougherty, corner of Washington and Grant streets, will be argued.

Seven years ago Mrs. Vance, who was then Mrs. Charles Dougherty, nee Eunice Stoker, was divorced from her husband, and left Muscatine, leaving her two children Hazel and Carl, in his care. She tried to secure control of the children ever since, but the father refused to recognize her claims, she said today.  Three years after he married Miss Gussie Walters and the boy was adopted.

The second wife died shortly after and Mr. Doughtery was married five years later to his housekeeper, Bessie Essex. Mr. Dougherty died last November and Mrs. Vance renewed her fight to regain control of the little girl.

She came to Muscatine this week and approached the step-mother but she refused to relinquish her claims and the habeas corpus proceedings resulted.

"I am now in a position to care and provide for the child, having a paying business in the oilfields of nothern Texas. I don't believe Mrs. Dougherty is in a position to properly care for Hazel as I understand she has applied for county and state aid," Mrs. Vance said.

May 2, 1919

Real Mother Who Left Child SevenYears Age Returns Wealthy,
to Claim Girl She Deserted When a Baby.

When a mother leaves her baby in the care of its father, he marries again and upon his death bed confides the child to the care of its step-mother who for more than six years treats the little one as if it were her own, is she entitled to return seven years later and regain control of the child?  Or does step-mother who gives the child a mother's tender care for six years, works hard every day and sends the child to school, have the greater claim?

These are the questions that will be taken into consideration by Judge Barker Saturday morning in the habeas corpus proceedings started by Mrs. Eunice I. Vance of Texas to regain control of her eleven-year old daughter, Hazel M. Daugherty, who now lives with her step-mother, Mrs. Charles Daugherty, corner of Washington and Grant streets.

Mother Claims Child

In her petition filed in district court, Mrs. Vance says the step-mother is illegally detaining the child and that as she is the mother she is entitled to the custody of her daughter.

Mrs. Vance who seven years ago was Mrs. Charles Daughtery, nee Eunice Stoker, was divorced from her husband and left Muscatine, leaving her two children, Hazel and Carl, in his care.  Several years later, he married Miss Gussie Walters and allowed the boy to be adopted by a family unknown to the mother.

The second wife died shortly after shortly after giving birth to a son and several years later, Mr. Daugherty married Miss Bessie Essex, who as his housekeeper had cared for the children.  Mr. Daugherty died last October.

 Women Clash at School

Mrs. Vance returned to Muscatine this week for the child, but the stepmother refused to relinquish her claims.  Accompanied by a police officer Tuesday afternoon, Mrs. Vance called at the Lincoln school, where the child is a student, and attempted to persuade her daughter to leave with her.  The girl refused to go and when the stepmother appeared and demanding an explanation, the women clashed.  The police officer and the school teachers lincensed when it developed the mother had obtained no legal authority to sustain her claim, parted the women and informed Mrs. Vance they were not in sympathy with her actions.  The habeas corpus proceedings resulted.

"I conduct a rooming-house and auto livery in the oil fields of northern Texas and am now in a position to care and provide for the child." Mrs. Vance said. "I don't believe Mrs. Daugherty is in a position to properly care for Hazel and as I am her mother I am certainly entitled to the custody of my own daughter."

Child Prefers Stepmother

Mrs. Daugherty denies she is not able to provide for Hazel and offers as proof the fact that she has clothed and fed her, sent her to school and given her a mother's care.  When asked with whom she would rather live, the little girl fondly embraced Mrs. Daugherty yesterday afternoon, and replied; "I want to stay with this mamma, who I love awful much.  She is awful good to me.  I cried in bed last night and prayed that God wouldn't let them take me away from her."

Answer Is Filed

That Mrs. Vance is a "show woman" a "snake-charmer" and that she was divorced from Charles Daugherty when statutory charges were proven, are the claims made by the present Mrs. Daugherty in an answer filed in the district court this morning.  Mrs. Daugherty claims that the character of Mrs. Vance is such that she should not to be given custody of the child.  The answer tells of the desertion of the child, and says Mrs. Vance has never contributed to the support of her daughter.

The law firm of Jackson & Jackson represent Mrs. Vance, while Attorney Charles P. Hanley represents Mrs. Daugherty. 

MAY 3, 1919 front page

District Court is Today Scene of UnusualTangle
Babies Were Left Literally In Rags is Testimony
Step-Mother is Praised.

Mrs. Eunice Vance deserted her baby Hazel Daugherty to run away with a carnival company here ten years ago.

Today she is making an endeavor in the district court, which she is now well able to care for.

Contesting her right to take the child is the foster mother, and also step-mother, Mrs. Charles Daugherty, who supported educated and learned to love the little girl, during the 10 years she has been in her custody.

Relatives of Mrs. Daugherty told Judge Barker in the district court today, that if Mrs. Daugherty was unable to properly support the child, they would support both her and the child.  The character of Mrs. Vance is being attacked, in an effort to prove she should not have little Hazel.

Mrs. Vance is basing her claim, on a mother's right to her child, and the fact that she is now quite wealthy.  She says that she is able to the child better educational advantages and home environment than it now has.

Mrs. C. C. Daugherty of Minneapolis, grandmother of eleven year old Hazel Daugherty over whom a legal fight is being waged in the district court here, by Mrs. Eunice Vance her mother and Mrs. Charles Daugherty her foster mother was the principal witness, against the mother, when the hearing opened before Judge Barker, in the district court here this morning.

Mrs. Daugherty on the witness stand testified that at no time did the mother of her granddaughter contribute to the support of the child and that she abandoned a 4 months old baby boy at the same time that she deserted the 18 months old daughter.  She also testified that when the babies were brought to her home by Mrs. Vance they were left lying on her bed their clothes literally in rags and both of them in need of a bath.

Not Good Mother

In her testimony, which was remarkable for its clarity, she said when she learned that the babies had been left at her home by Mrs. Vance with the intention of abandoning them, she took the baby boy back to her and placed it in her arms and pleaded with her not to desert her husband and her babies.

When asked by Judge D. V. Jackson, attorney for the plaintiff, why Mrs. Vance deserted her son Charles and the babies, Mrs. Daugherty, replied, "I do not know, Charles loved her and was always good to her.  At one time she told me that she wanted them all, meaning all the men.  And at one time while she was yet married to Charles she admitted flirting with other men."

Mrs. Daugherty also said her former daughter-in-law had at no time been a good housekeeper or a mother to her children.  She made it evident through her testimony that she thought that the step-mother, Mrs. Charles Daugherty, was capable of rearing her granddaughter and was amply able to care for her.

When recalled to the witness stand this afternoon Joseph Daugherty was asked if he would help support Mrs. Daugherty and little Hazel if they remained in Muscatine.  "I don't know" was his answer.

"That means no," commented Judge Barker.

Kisses Stepmother

It was immediately after her grandmother had left the witness stand that Hazel, the little girl for possession of whom the mother and stepmother are availing themselves of every legal step, and who had been present in the court room throughout the morning, came up to her step-mother and with "Good bye mamma, I'm going home now," kissed her and left the room with a friend of the family.  She did not even glance at her mother, Mrs. Vance, who was sitting a few feet away.

Will Aid Family

"At any time I am ready to help Mrs. Daugherty with her children." said Joseph Daugherty of Nebraska who was the next witness called.  "I am able to help the family to a considerable degree and I have told Mrs. Daugherty that she could bring her family and come to my home in Nebraska and I would take care of her and see that the children went to school.  I am comfortably well off and can live without working if I want to." said the witness, who was an uncle of the late Charles Daugherty.

A number of witnesses were called this morning by the defense.

Although the mother who is waging the legal war for the possession of her daughter was present throughout the trial this morning, she was not called to the witness stand.  She exhibited a confidence of the outcome and seems assured that she will be given the possession of the child by Judge Barker.  It is her contention, now that she is the owner of an auto liverly in the oil fields of northern Texas, she is well able to care for her daughter.  She made an attempt to secure the child without resort to law Tuesday afternoon, but the child refused to go with her and stated that she wanted to remain with her stepmother.

 MAY 5, 1919


"If any work was done about the Daugherty home when they lived in my house, Charley did it" said Garrett Wiggers of Bloomington township, this afternoon while while testifying in the Vance-Daugherty, contest for the possession of Hazel Daugherty, the eleven year old daughter of Mrs. Vance.  "The children were not well cared for and several times I saw the oldest baby Hazel out doors without any clothing on at all." testified Mr. Wiggers.

It was shown in the testimony that the Charles Daugherty family had at one time lived in a house owned by Mr. Wiggers in Bloomington township, Mr. Daugherty being employed by the owner.  When asked by C. P. Hanley attorney for the defendant whether or not Mrs. Vance, formerly Mrs. Charles Daugherty made a good mother and housekeeper, Mr. Wiggers said;  'She neglected both husband and children."

The witness became somewhat confused when D. V. Jackson, attorney for Mrs. Vance asked whether or not he and the late Charles Daugherty did not at one time have trouble.  The witness replied in the negative, but on further cross examination by Mr. Jackson admitted that there might have some difficulty after Mrs. Vance had left her husband.

Mrs. M. Cunningham, a sister of Mrs. Daugherty, was called and when questioned by Mr. Hanley said that she though that Mrs. Daugherty made a good mother to her children and that she displayed much affection for her stepdaughter, Hazel for whom the stepmother and mother are fighting.  When asked as to the manners and bringing up of Hazel, she replied, "She acts like a little lady."

A number of witnesses remain to be called but Mrs. Vance has not yet been put on the stand.  The case will probably consume another day.

MAY 6, 1919


"My husband said that he didn't marry me just to raise children when he found that I was about to become a mother for the third time, and he made accusations that were absolutely untrue," said Mrs. Eunice Irene Vance late yesterday afternoon when she took the stand in her own behalf in the suit she is waging in an effort to gain possession of her 11 year-old daughter Hazel, who is now living with her stepmother, Mrs. Charles E. Daugherty.  Yesterday afternoon was the first time during the two days trial that a witness for the plaintiff had been heard.  Heretofore the testimony was all in behalf of the defendant.  Mrs. Vance testified in a straightforward manner and spoke clearly and concisely,

"I was married when I was 14 or 15 years old," testified Mrs. Vance, "and I was absolutely inexperienced in regard to housework and many other things a wife should know.  My husband was earning $10 a week and I sewed buttons and cement sacks to help with the living.  My first child Hazel, was born in 1908, and a year and four months later the second boy was born.  At the time of his birth he was apparently healthy, but the doctor told me when he began to fall in a few weeks that his ill-health was due to pre-natal influence and that my husband was the cause of it.  A short time later I found that I would again become a mother, and when I told my husband, he wanted me to use illegal means to prevent it.  He accused me falsely, but was not mean to me in other ways that is he never beat me.

Leaves Husband

"I kept telling him that I would leave him, but he didn't seem to believe me, and the night before I left him.  I played the organ and he played the violin and we sang together.  The next morning we came to town with our two children and at the corner of Seventh street and Mulberry avenue I gave him the children to take to his mother, and contrary to preceding testimony that I took the babies there and left them he took them.  I went to work in Houdek's restaurant for $5 a week.  Some time later Mrs. M. Daugherty, his mother, brought me the youngest baby, the boy, and gave him to me saying that she couldn't keep him as Charles and I ran around.  I took him to a family here in town and continued my work.  And the babies were clean when they were taken to their grandmother's and their clothes were clean, but not ironed.

"Later I heard of a family near Illinois City who would give me work and would allow me to keep my babies.  I went to make the arrangements and when I came back I saw my husband and told him of the arrangement.  He told me that it was too late, as my little baby boy had been adopted by the Ottumwa Welfare association and he wouldn't tell me anything else about him.  Since then I have made several efforts to locate him, but without avail.

"After this I went west to Denver, and while there I received a telegram from a friend here saying that my little girl was staying with a family here and that if I didn't come and take her away she would have the city authorities do it.  I came back and saw that she was placed in another home.  Here my husband paid $2 a week for her support, and I also contributed to her support.  I bought her little dresses and at several times gave her money.  I also bought her dolls and other toys."

Is Divorced

When Mrs. Vance was asked on what grounds her husband secured a divorce, she said that she and her husband had talked the matter over and that she had told him that he could make any charges he wanted to, as she wouldn't contest the suit.  But when asked whether or not the divorce was secured on the grounds of adultery she replied;  "He couldn't have had his divorce had I known the meaning of the word."

Continuing her testimony, Mrs. Vance told of working with carnival companies and admitted that she had worked in a snake show.  "I was out to make as good a living as I could." said Mrs. Vance, " and I could make more with the carnivals than elsewhere." She also denied in her testimony that she went to the school house last week with the intention of creating trouble in her effort to get her child and that she had never threatened Mrs. Daugherty.  She did admit on cross-examination that she kept Mrs. Daugherty in a room at the school house until she could phone to her attorney.

Has Plenty Money

When questioned as to her present circumstances, Mrs. Vance said that her present husband, who is now with the army of occupation, was an engineer and capable of earning $250 per month, while she owns three automobiles in the livery business and a half interest in a thirty-room lodging house, the income from which amounts to approximately $1,500 per month.

Throughout her testimony Mrs. Vance gave the impression that she would have asked for her daughter before, but that she had been unable to support her, and now that she is in a position to give her the best of care and schooling, she wants to do it.

MAY 6, 1919

Finds That Mother Has No Permanent Home
and Is Not in Position to Care for Daughter.

Hazel Daugherty, the 11 year-old stepdaughter of Mrs. Charles E. Daugherty, will remain with the woman who for the past six years has provided for her the same as she would have cared for a daughter.  This was the ruling made by Judge Barker in the district court this afternoon at the conclusion of the contest for the child which has attracted state-wide attention.

In his remarks prior to the announcement of the ruling, Judge Barker said that according to the evidence introduced, the mother of the child, Mrs. Eunice Vance of Texas, had no permanent home and was not in a favorable position at the present time to care for her daughter.  He said that if at a later date Mrs. Vance could present proof that she had a suitable home for the daughter, the matter would be reconsidered.

D. V. Jackson, attorney for the plaintiff, made his plea before Judge Barker this morning and C. P. Hanley, attorney for the defendant, addressed the court this afternoon.

The contest which has attracted state-wide attention, was begun by Mrs. Vance when Mrs. Daugherty the step-mother of the daughter refused to give the little girl up.  Mrs. Vance arrived in Muscatine, last week and attempted to gain possession of her daughter.

Mother's Plea Is Heard

Although the testimony introduced during the trial by witnesses for the defendant tended to show that the mother had not contributed to the support of her daughter for the past six years, the mother took the stand yesterday in her own behalf and told a story of hardships and privations and how she was forced to work for her own living and until recently was unable to care for her daughter in the manner she desired to.  She stated that now her income is sufficient to enable her to educate her daughter and give her a good home.

MAY 7, 1919

Judge Barker Will Reconsider VanceDaugherty Case
When Mother Has Permanent Home for Child

"Under the law the parent has the first right to the child," said Judge Barker yesterday afternoon, after deciding that little Hazel Daugherty should remain with her stepmother, Mrs. Charles Daugherty, "but the court has the right to decide whether or not the child should be given to the parent.  A number of things influenced my decision, among them being the fact that Mrs. Vance admitted that she had abandoned her daughter to the care of her husband.   She ought not be too severely condemned for this, as she was young and inexperienced and she had been raised under the eyes of a stepmother and grandmother, and when she and her husband separated she had no place to go and had to work to support herself.  She did not have the experience or judgment an older woman would have been expected to have.

"However; the controlling feature in the case was her admission that for the past several years she had been roaming about the country with street fairs and carnivals and had no permanent home.  Until Mrs. Vance can show by evidence other than her own word that her husband is able to provide a home for her and until she can prove that she has the right sort of a home for her daughter, the little girl will remain with Mrs. Daugherty.  However, when Mrs. Vance can give me the desired evidence, I will reconsider the case."

Under the decision rendered by the court, Mrs. Vance can write to her daughter and make her such presents of money and clothing as she sees fit.  Whether or not she will be allowed to visit her daughter will be decided by Judge Barker later.

MAY 9, 1919


"It is therefore ordered that the custody of Hazel M. Daugherty be left with Mrs. Charles E. Daugherty until further order of the court, it being understood, however, and it is ordered that Mrs. Eunice Irene Vance shall be permitted by Mrs. Daugherty to visit in Mrs. Daugherty's presence at reasonable times, and to correspond with her daughter, Hazel M. Daugherty, making gifts to her from time to time, as she may desire, and she may at any future time have the right to make further application for the custody of her child upon a showing of proof that if Eunice I. Vance and her husband at some future time make a home together and he proven to be a suitable person to become a step-father to plaintiff and willing to receive the child into his home," is in part the order rendered by Judge Barker in the Vance-Daugherty contest for the possession of the eleven year old daughter of Mrs. Eunice Irene Vance.

Mrs. Vance who is about to return to her home in Ranger, Texas, where she is half owner of a rooming house and owner of a taxi line, asserts that as soon as her husband returns from France where he is stationed with the army of occupation she will make another effort to obtain her daughter.  "As soon as my husband returns" said Mrs. Vance this morning, "I will sell my taxis and my rooming house and we will establish a home either in Mineral Wells or San Antonia, Texas,  Then I think that I will have no difficulty in regaining the possession of my daughter."

The suit for the possession of Hazel, the daughter of Mrs. Vance, was instituted when Mrs. Charles E. Daugherty refused to give the little girl to her mother without an order from the court.  After a three days trial in which many witnesses were called Judge Barker filed the above order.

Additional info from June Welsch Mrs. Charles Daugherty was Bessie Hayes her first marriage was to Elijah Thomas Essex and then Charles Daugherty.


Muscatine Iowa Journal 12 August 1926
Contributed by June Brewer Welsch



Breaking Rope Blamed For Accident
Which Seriously Injuries Girl's Head and Face

Miss Irene Van Horn, 18-year old resident at the Lutheran Home, sustained serious injuries to her face yesterday morning when a dumb-waiter fell almost two stories and crushed her head between it and the sill of the opening.

Miss Van Horn was sending the breakfast to the second floor by the dumbwaiter, and had looked up the shaft to see if it had reached the second floor when a rope broke.  Before she was able to spring back, the carriage caught her head between it and the sill, tearing the skin from the entire left side of her face.  The upper jaw was broken on both sides and her nose was crushed and splintered.  Although her eye was torn badly, her vision has not been impaired thus far. During all the time following the accident she has remained conscious.

She was rushed immediately to the Bellevue hospital and treated by Dr. J. L. Klein and Dr. G. A. Sywassink, who reported that if infection did not develop, she would recover.

Miss Van Horn has been a resident of the home for more than 13 years and since she reached her eighteenth birthday has assisted in the kitchen of the Old Peoples building.

Notes from June Brewer Welsch: Irene was my mother and she was a orphan since she was five.  As a result of this accident she could not open her eyelid but had perfect vision in that eye if she would hold the eyelid up.  It never stopped her from going on with her life.  She worked very hard to make a living for us kids and no matter what, she would welcome everyone to her home.  She was a cook most of her life and worked at various cafe's including Johnny's Grill, Muscatine Cafe, Grandmas Kitchen (which she owned) and the Muscatine County home. 


Muscatine Journal
March 27, 1930, Under the "Pleasant Prairie" News Column
Contributed by Susie Martin-Rott

Pleasant Prairie, IA.,-March 27--Mr. and Mrs. George Grimm entertained a company of 23 friends at their home Sunday evening.

Three tables of "500" were played, high scores going to Mrs. William Hermann and Charles Hermann.  Those present were:  Mr. and Mrs. R.G. Plett and children Marie and Henry, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hermann and family, Mr. and Mrs. William Herman and children Lauren and Ruth, Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Peterson and Children Grace, Eunice and Floyd, Howard Steffen and Griff Jenkins.

Mr. and Mrs. Merrill Paul entertained the following Sunday evening: Mr and Mrs. Ira Benshoof, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Egel and family, Miss Ina Paul, Mrs Ada Riemcke and Fred Kretchmar.


Jan 1935; Muscatine Journal
Contributed by Susie Martin-Rott


Jacob Brei was elected president of the New Era young people's society at the annual business meeting held in the community building Friday night.

Other officers elected were Ida May Hetzler, vice president; Marie Binggeli, secretary; Roger Kretschmar, treasurer; Leo Fix, sergeant-at-arms; Margaret Kretschmar, press reporter.

The exceutive committee was delegated to arrange committees for the devotional services on the first Sunday of each month in the year.

It was decided to purchase two sets of altar candles for the candlesticks on the church altar.  The group also voted to turn $20 into the church treasury.

The society planned to inaugurate an annual custom of present its president with a Luther's coat-of-arms emblem at the close of his year of service, and also to those who have served a full year as president since its organization.

Votes of thankst to the 1934 officers were extende in appreciation of their services.  The last year's staff included Fred Halling as president, Roger Kretschmar as vice president; Margaret Kretschmar, secretary; Clifford Pantel, treasurer; and the Rev. Ernest A. Lack, who served as supervisor of activities of the young people.

The meeting adjourned with refreshments.  Arrangements for the next meeting on Feb. 1 were left in charge of the executive committee.

Muscatine Journal Monday, Oct 26, 1936
Contributed by Susie Martin-Rott
(I am not related to this family; the article appeared on the same page as the obituary for my uncle Paul)


Blue Grass--Mr. and Mrs. Charles Logan entertained a group of friends and relatives at their home Saturday evening in honor of their wedding anniversary.  Mr. and Mrs. Henry Schroeder, Mr. and Mrs. Ed James, Mr. and Mrs. Warden Logan, Mr. and Mrs. John Carlin, Mr. and Mrs. William Peterson were awarded prizes in five hundred.  The special prize went to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kaucher.

The same article then went on to list other Blue Grass Iowa News Items
  • Mr. and Mrs. E.R. Schroeder have gone to Manning, Ia., where they were called by the death of Mrs. Schroeder's father, Mr. Ewoldt.
  • The Ladies' Missionary society of the Blue Grass and Pleasant Prairie  Presbyterian churches will hold an all day meeting Thursday at the home of Mrs. Fonda Egel.
  • The Phi Omega's met at the home of the Misses Velma and Elsie Bossen.  Plans for the presentation of the play, "Clubbing a Husband" were made.  Committees for the event include the following:  Kitchen-Louise Brus, Florence Arp and Ella Soenke; Tickets-Velma Kautz, Myrtle Johnson and Elsie Bossen; Publicity- Mrs. Erwin Zinger and Mrs. Evelyn Barnes.
  • Mr. and Mrs. Russell Shellabarger and family visited Sunday with relatives at Columbus Junction.

  • Muscatine Journal Monday, October 26, 1936


    Wilton--Miss Kate McNulty was called to Iowa City Saturday night by the critical condition of her sister, Miss Mary McNulty, a well known Wilton resident, who is a patient at Mercy hospital there.  Miss Mary McNulty has been in poor health for the past several months, having been at the Iowa City hospital for approximately six weeks.

    Muscatine Iowa Journal "1,000 years of wisdom" June 19, 1993
    Contributed by June Brewer Welsch


    Highway 38, is paved with the sweat of many, including hard working Paul Maylone.

    Maylone 81, grew up as a farm boy before going to work on the road crews.  The Highway 38 project was his first construction job.

    Whether it was farming or construction, Maylone lived for the long hours.
     "Nowadays with construction, it's eight hours -- two drops of rain and you run home." he said.

    He loved working on the farm, but felt drawn to construction work, despite his father's objection to gravel roads.

    Maylone's father, a solid six foot five, 280 pound man, loved his horses and refused to follow the automobile trend.
    "He took care of his horses." Maylone said.  "He didn't believe in cars."

    The younger Maylone, however took to cars "long before I was supposed to." at the age of 12.

    "I put in a good 14 or 15 hours a day and never was tired." he said.
    He started out with smaller jobs.  "I'd do whatever they told me to do." he said.

    Working for the Concrete Material construction company.  Maylone helped build the highway overpass heading into Davenport.  When work became scarce.  Maylone hit the road, traveling the country working on crews from Florida to California.

    The California job was very short, he said Apparently, the workers there objected to the presence of Maylone who was not a local union member.

    "Those guys didn't like me, so I didn't work there but a short period." he said.
    He promptly was run out of the state.

    Maylone kept his wife and children with him as much as possible.  The family would come with him while he was working out of state but when school time came Maylone would find someone to replace him so he could head back and let the children attend school at home.

    Maylone's face shines when he remembers younger days with his bride.

    "We could tap dance like nobody's business." he said.  The couple used to tear up the dance floors in Stockton and Walcott.


    Muscatine, IA, Journal date not known
    Contributed by June Brewer Welsch


    Henry Frye and wife, Mary Fitzgerald, came to 76 Twp. by covered wagon from Lancaster, Pa. in 1855, and settled on a farm now owned by their granddaughter, Mabel Wells.

    Mr. and Mrs. Frye were the parents of 14 children of which 6 were daughters. Mrs. Wells recalls stories of her grandfather, who after working from dawn til dark in the fields, would place a lamp in the window to shine outside  where he made candles to help light the home.

    Her grandmother bought one of the first Howe sewing machines so her daughters could help with the family sewing   but never learned to use the machine herself.

    When Peter Brookhart and wife took the farm over they moved the barns and other buildings from the south side of the road to their present position on the north side.

    Mabel also recalls medicine shows coming through the country and camping in their woods. These were a great   source of pleasure to the children and old folks as well, with trained dogs and other acts that were put on between the selling of patent medicines which were supposed to have wonderful healing powers.

    Some of the other entertainment afforded them in these early days were ice cream socials in the summer and oyster suppers and spelling bees in the winter. Mr. Peter Brookhart, Mrs. Wells' father was champion speller of Muscatine Co. at that time.

    To contribute to these listings or comment on these pages, email

    [email protected]

    Original  Muscatine County Genealogy Home Page

    Copyright 1996 Rootbound Genealogy
    Last updated 10 Nov 2002