bio_wxyz
Muscatine County and Vicinity
Biographical Sketches
Surnames W-X-Y-Z
WAGGONER, Henry H.
Among the most prominent citizens of Arcadia, Nebraska, is Henry H. Waggoner, who has for many years been identified with the interests and development of Valley county as business man and farmer. He is one of the older residents, and during the many years that have passed since he first came to the county, he has done much toward the upbuilding of the town of Arcadia and the welfare of the surrounding country.

He is a native of Freedom, Ohio, born October 22, 1847, a son of Samuel and Louisa (Ferguson) Waggoner, being the eldest of their three children - two sons and one daughter. The Waggoner family migrated to Davenport, Iowa, in November, 1864, and in the following spring removed to a farm near Rock Island, Illinois. In 1867, the father sold his farm near Rock Island, and located in Mercer county, Illinois, where he died in November, 1868. His widow passed away at Perry, Iowa, in February, 1902. Their only daughter, Louisa, married Abraham Maus, and they live six and one-half miles southwest of Lincoln, Nebraska. The son, George, has interests in Iowa and Oklahoma.

Henry H. Waggoner accompanied his parents on their various removals until they came to Rock Island, Illinois, and when about eighteen years of age, started out for himself. He learned the trade of harnessmaker at Davenport, lowa, where he lived some time. He was married in that city, at the home of her parents, February 9, 1869, to Ella Forney, and they lived in Davenport until 1877. In that year they moved to Muscatine county, Iowa, and spent four years on a farm.

In May, 1881, in company with his wife and two children, Mr. Waggoner located in Lancaster county, Nebraska, and engaged in farming and stock-raising. He spent seven years there. and in the fall of 1888 moved to Arcadia, where he established a harness shop, and secured a homestead on the southeast quarter of section twenty-three, township seventeen, range sixteen, which was within the corporate limits. He conducted his harness shop for seven years, and at the same time operated and developed his land, and conducted his business until May, 1908. He then came to his present farm on the southeast quarter of section ten, township seventeen, range sixteen.

He is a successful man, and owns considerable land. He is actively interested in public affairs, and is well known in Valley county.

Two children were born to Mr. Waggoner and wife, Belle and Florence. Belle is the wife of Frone Ring, of Calhoun county, Iowa, and they have four children. Florence, married (first) A. J. Benitt, and they had two children, both of whom are living. She and her second hushand, Frank Roach, live in North Dakota; a son was born to them August 8, 1911, and named Franklin Waggoner Roach.

Mrs. Waggoner died in Arcadia, May 6, 1906, and Mr. Waggoner married (second), April 24, 1907, Mrs. Martha Dunkin.  Mr. Waggoner is a republican in politics, and a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Royal Highlanders.

Source: The Compendium of History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska  Alden Publishing Co, Chicago IL 1912



WAGNER, H.C., far., Sec 14.; P.O. Blue Grass; was born in Holstein, Germany, in 1832; in 1854, he emigrated to the United States, locating in Muscatine Co, Iowa, upon the farm on which he now resides, consisting of 190 acres.  In 1863, he married Miss Hannah Delany, of Muscatine Co., and a native of the county of Galway, Ireland, and daughter of Michael Delany, who emigrated to the United States in 1832, settled in Beaver Co, Penn., remained ten years, and in 1842, removed to Iowa, settling in Muscatine Co.; Mr. D. raised a very large family of children, all now deceased but three;  Mrs. W's father has been dead for some years; her mother is still living;  Mr. W. and wife have two children--Leslie and Willie.  Members of the M. E. Church; Mr. W. is a Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



WAGNER, W. B., M.D., Blairstown; was born in Dauphin Co., Penn., Feb. 5, 1818; he worked on  a farm near Harrisburg, Penn., until his 19th year; during this time, he attended school in the Winter, but the grade of school being low, be derived but little benefit; at the age of 21, he began preparing for the ministry, and in the year 1841; he entered the Conference of the United Brethren Church as traveling minister, and in that capacity, labored for seventeen years,  preaching principally in Pennsylvania; in 1856, he moved to this State, and successfully labored in Muscatine County; during his ministry, he devoted much of his time to the study of medicine and preparing himself for practice; in 1857, he removed to Linn Co., Iowa, where he engaged in his new profession, which profession he has since continued in; he has a fine library of over 600 volumes, from which he has gathered a store of knowledge; he still retains an abiding interest in his religious denomination, and has always been an ardent supporter of Western College, their  denominational school, and served as one of the Board of Directors, Executive Committee and as President of the Board a number of years; he removed to this place in April, 1876.

He married Barbary Rank in 1842, and has the following family -- J. K. Wagner, born Oct. 23, 1843; is now a  practicing physician at this place; was in the 2d Iowa Cav., during the war of the rebellion; he married Miss Jenny Swiney in 1871; Anna M., born April 29, 1845, died Aug. 5, 1845; Emma C.,  born Sept 6, 1846; she married Wm. P. Henderson; George M., born Nov. 4, 1848; William A., born Nov. 6, 1850; John W., born Feb. 24, 1852; Benjamin F., born April 28, 1854; Edward C., born Aug. 1, 1856; James H. S., born April 21, 1858.

Mr. Wagner is to be truly termed a self made man; beginning without education, he has, by his own unaided industry and perseverance,  fitted himself for a life that has been useful to others as well as himself.

Source: History of Benton Co Iowa, 1878



WALES, John C.,  far., Sec. 31; P. O. West Liberty; son of Edward and Mary D, Wales; owns 125 acres of land, valued at $50 per acre; born May 5, 1833, in Yorkshire, England; in the spring of 1849, parents came to Alleghany Co., Penn., and in the spring of 1851, to this county; his mother died in July, 1876, and his father returned to England in 1877. John G. married Miss Adaline Tar, daughter of Samuel Tar, of Muscatine, Feb. 19, 1856; she was born Dec.2, 1828, in Indiana; have two children-- Samuel E., born Nov. 29, 1857, and Sarah E., born Sept. 19, 1861; lost one-- Thomas C. Member of the Presbyterian Church; Democrat.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WALKER, C.T., dealer in drugs, boots and shoes, groceries, etc., Mt. Auburn; born in England in 1832;  came to America in 1842, and located in Lenawee Co., Mich.; removed to Iowa in 1855, and settled in Muscatine Co., and in 1861, came to Benton Co.; engaged in his present business in 1874. Married Eliza A. Westgate in 1854; she was born in Michigan in 1834; have two children- Eugene and George.  Are members of the M.E. Church; Republican.

Source: History of Benton Co Iowa 1878



WALKER, Charles A. ; P.O. Conesville; Station Agent for B., C. R. & N. R. R., also agent for American Express Co., son of John and Martha A. Walker, born April 3, 1854, in Blair Co., Penn.; parents moved to Scott Co., Iowa. in the spring of 1856; father died there March 23, 1860; in February, 1872, went to Iowa City, where he remained till January of 1873; went to Kossuth, Des Moines Co., attended school there, and in April, 1873, came to Conesville and commenced learning telegraphing and railroad business with Mr. Fulmer, the station agent; in April, 1875, was appointed station agent. Married Miss Emma M. Fulmer July 11, 1876; she was born April 8, 1856 in Indiana Co., Penn.; have one daughter--Bessie E., born Jan. 7, 1878. Mr. W. has four brothers, the eldest a Presbyterian clergyman at Deep River, Poweshiek Co., Iowa; one a printer, at Moline, Ill., and two at Brooklyn, Iowa, one of them a grain-dealer, and the other an employe of the C., R. I. & P. R. R. Co.; his mother is living in Brooklyn; he had one sister, who died in Iowa City, in February, 1873.  Member of the M. E. Church.  Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 page 644 Orono Twp



WALKER, J. D., attorney at law and Notary Public; office, Fourth street, corner Cedar; residence, Fifth street, Wilton; was born in Wayne Co., Ind., Oct. 18, 1818; had common-school education; at the age of 24, commenced the study of law, which, owing to the death of his father, he soon after discontiued; his parents, Samuel and Rebecca Walker, nee Dougan, natives of the South; in 1842, left Indiana and settled in Cedar Co., Iowa, where his father had engaged in farming, and, at his death, J.D., being the eldest of the family, found it necessary to abandon his profession and take charge of his father's affairs; therefore came to Iowa; in 1856, he came to Wilton and engaged in the grocery trade here until 1860, when he resumed his studies, and, in 1867, was admitted to the bar. In the fall of 1868, he was elected County Clerk, which office he held for two terms. In May, 1865, he married Eliza A., daughter of George Hartman, and born in Pennsylvania in October, 1836; they have three children---George S., Frank W. and Fanny. Republican; members of the Reformed Church. Mr. W. is a member of Pulaski Lodge, No. 107, I. O. O. F., in which he has held various offices.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WALLACE,GEORGE McCLELLAN has been resident of Harlan County, Nebraska, since the period of early  manhood, the family having here been established more than forty years ago, and he is today one of the prominent and successful exponents of agricultural and livestock industry in this county, he being the owner of one of the finest farms in the fertile valley of the Republican River, and the same being given largely to the breeding, raising and feeding of cattle and hogs of the best grades. The home of Mr. Wallace is maintained in the attractive little city of Orleans.

Mr. Wallace was born at Muscatine, Iowa, July 28, 1861, and is a representative of one of the sterling families founded in that state in its early pioneer days. He is a son of Charles and Mary (Lansing) Wallace, the former of whom was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, and the latter in the State of New York, their marriage having been solemnized in Iowa, where Charles Wallace gained pioneer honors in the  year 1856, his wife having accompanied her parents to that state in 1854.

George M. Wallace is indebted to the public schools of the Hawkeye State for his early educational advantages, and he was a young man when he accompanied his mother on removal from Iowa to  Missouri, where the home was established on a pioneer farm near Chillicothe, she having passed the  remainder of her life there. Their other surviving children are Elizabeth, Mary and Charles, Jr.

In the years that have passed since his arrival in Harlan County George M. Wallace has never severed his productive allegiance to the great basic industries of agriculture and stock-raising, of which he is now one of the influential representatives in this section of the state. He has done well his part in advancing the civic and industrial progress of Harlan County, and is one of its honored and influential  citizens, he having represented the county in the Nebraska Legislature in 1921-22. His political alignment is in the ranks of the Republican party, and he and his family have membership in the Presbyterian Church. In the time-honored Masonic fraternity he has received the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, besides being a Noble of the Mystic Shrine.

 February 28, 1891, recorded the marriage of Mr. Wallace and Miss Alice Main, who was born in Dane County, Wisconsin, November 4, 1870, she having been only a few months old at the time of her parents' removal to Nebraska in 1871. Mrs. Wallace is a daughter of Lorenzo J. and Julia F. (Woolworth) Main, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania, February 10, 1845, and the latter of  whom was born in Rock County, Wisconsin, July 26, 1846, her parents having been among the early  pioneer settlers in that section of the Badger State. In 1871

Lorenzo J. Main came with his family to Nebraska and obtained a homestead claim of 160 acres near the present village of Orleans, Harlan County. He remained on this homestead until he had perfected his title thereto, and then removed with his family to Orleans, where he engaged in business as a wagonmaker and where he built up a substantial and prosperous enterprise in this line, he having learned the trade in the State of Wisconsin and having been a youth when he established residence in Wisconsin, which state he represented as a gallant young soldier of the Union in the Civil war, he having served as drummer with Company D, Twenty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and having in after years maintained  appreciative affiliation with the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. Main continued his residence at  Orleans until his death, and here his widow still maintains her home, hers being the distinction of being the oldest pioneer woman in Harlan County, she having celebrated her eightieth birthday anniversary  July 26, 1926. Mr. and Mrs. Main became the parents of one daughter and one son living, the son,  Arthur Ernest, being an expert electrician and being now a resident of Mammoth Springs, Arkansas.  Two children, Myra and Delos, died in childhood.

Mrs. Wallace was one of the six members of the first  class to be graduated from the Orleans High School–that of 1890–and she finds satisfaction in the fact that each of her four children likewise were graduated from this high school. Mrs. Wallace is a popular figure in social and cultural circles in her home community, where she is an influential member of the Orleans Woman's Relief Corps and is a past matron of the local chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, she having been chosen the first matron of the chapter, at the time of its organization. Her maternal grandfather, Leonard Woolworth, volunteered for service in the Civil war and enlisted as a  member of Company K, Thirteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, with which gallant command he continued in active service from 1861 to 1864, this regiment having made a record of specially valiant service and having taken part in many important battles. Mr. Woolworth became one of the pioneer  homesteaders in Harlan County, Nebraska, where he settled in 1871, and he was long and prominently affiliated with the Grand Army of the Republic in this state.

Mr. and Mrs. Wallace have four children: Vernette, who was born May 4, 1894, is the wife of Emil Dahlstrand, of Mitchell, Scotts Bluff County, this state; Mary Julia was born July 26, 1896, was graduated from the Grand Island Business College, and she now holds a responsible position as stenographer in the office of a leading insurance company  in the City of Lincoln, this state; Ruth Eunice was born January 16, 1901, and is the wife of Richard  Hoffman, of Mitchell, Scotts Bluff County; Charles Henry, the only son, was born December 31, 1905, and, like his sisters, was graduated from the Orleans High School, he being now associated with his  father in farm and live-stock operations.

Source:  Nebraska: the Land and the People: Volume 2 p 366



WALTON, Josiah P.,  architect and builder, residence No. 39 East Eighth st., is a native of New Ipswich, Hillsboro Co.,
N.H., and was born Feb. 26, 1826; when 12 years of age, his parents emigrated to Iowa and settled in Muscatine Co.; the family arrived here in June, 1838; he was brought up on a farm; at the age of 22 years, he came to Muscatine and learned the carpenter's trade; in the fall of 1849, he began business for himself as architect and builder; the high-school buildings of Muscatine and Wilton, the Episcopal Church, the large mansion of B. Hershey, Esg., besides many others in Muscatine were built by him from plans of his own devising; he has taken meteorological observations for the Smithsonian Institution and the War Department for the past fifteen years, and has now in his possession the oldest continuous records of this kind in the State of Iowa, commencing in 1839. He was one of the Trustees of the Library Association of Muscatine for several years, and one of the organizers of the Scientific Club. In 1864, he was appointed by Gov. Kirkwood to receive the vote of the 37th I. V. I. for President and State officers. Mr. Walton was one of the twelve men who signed the call for the first Republican Convention of the State of Iowa. He married June 2, 1857, Miss Mary E. Barrows, of Oneida Co., N. Y., a graduate of the Liberal Institute of Clinton, N. Y., they have three daughters-- Alice B.,     Lilly P., Mary O.; the two eldest are graduates of the city High School, and have given much attention to the study of     Entomology, Botany and Natural History; they have accumulated one of the finest collections of entomological specimens in the West, and are enthusiasts in this department of science; Miss Alice B., the eldest daughter, is the author of the chapter on Entomology in this volume, and her father, author of the chapter on the climate.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WARFIELD, A. O.,  ticket and freight agent of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, Muscatine: one of the oldest settlers of Muscatine, and the veteran freight and ticket agent on the line of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad is Maj. A. O. Warfield; he was born in Frederick Co., now Carroll Co., Md.,and was brought up there until he reached manhood; in company with David R. and Charles A. Warfield, he came to Iowa, and arrived in Burlington in November, 1837; on account of the ice in the river, he and David, with their guns on their shoulders, started on foot for Bloomington, now the city of Muscatine; when only four miles from Burlington, they stopped at night at a log cabin, and had pickled pork, corn dodger, and tea sweetened with wild honey for supper and breakfast, and were very glad to get that; in the morning they bought a horse, saddle and bridle, and paid $110 for it; then one of them would ride for a while and then tie the horse and walk on ahead, and when the one following, came up to the horse he would ride on some distance in advance of the other, tie the horse and walk on again; in this way they continued, stopping at cabins nights, and in three and one-half days reached Bloomington; they began looking for a mill-site in the following August, 1838; he settled here permanently, and he and David R. Warfield built a mill on Mad Creek; he afterward sold his interest in the mill to David  and engaged in mercantile business for several years; in November, 1855, he was appointed freight and ticket agent of  the Mississippi & Missouri Railroad; he began selling tickets in the old Ogilvie House (keeping his tickets in a small tin box) before any depot was built; he has held this position about twenty-four years, a greater length of time continuously than any other agent on the line of this road.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WASSON, SAMUEL J.  carriage painter, was born in the north of Ireland, June 9, 1835. He is a son of John and Elizabeth (McCann) Wasson, who were natives of Scotland, he of the Highlands and she of the Lowlands. He was reared on a farm in his native country, and there learned the trade of carriage painting. In 1860 he emigrated to America and there located in New York City, where he worked with G. B. Brewster & Co., with whom he worked until 1868. He then went to Paynesville, Ohio, where he was foreman of a carriage shop one year.

In 1869 he removed to Muscatine, Iowa, where he remained until 1874. He then went to Cedar Rapids, where he worked until 1876, when he came to Stuart and entered into partnership with his present partner, J. I. Nelson. He is a splendid workman, and commands the better class of work done in this neighborhood. He was married, August 5, 1866, to Miss Eliza McKee, a native of the north of Ireland. They have five children living--Elizabeth, Jennie, Agnes, Sarah, John. He is a member of the Congregational church of Stuart.

Source: History of Guthrie and Adair Counties, Iowa  Springfield, Ill: Continental Hist. Co., 1884.



WATHAM, Edward, far., Sec 8; P.O. Pleasant Prairie; was born in  the city of New York in 1848; removed thence, with his parents to Albany, remained three years, removed thence to Chicago, remained about the same length of time, removing thence to Davenport, Iowa, and in 1859, they settled in Muscatine Co., where they now reside; his parents are natives of Whitechurch, England; they had three sons and three daughters, all now living--Richard, George, Edward, Jane E., now Mrs. Henzie; Sarah Ann and Emma J., now Mrs. Kreger.  Mr. W. married Miss Nancy E. Funck Nov. 13, 1877; she is a native of Iowa; they have one child--John D.   Mr. W. is a Democrat.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



WATKINS, J. G., farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. Nichols; son of William and Elizabeth Watkins; born Feb. 26, 1836, in Franklin Co., Ohio; parents emigrated to Muscatine Co., Iowa, in the fall of 1844, locating in this township, where his father died April 6, 1854; his mother again married, Mr. Jacob Shoemaker, in November, 1859, and is now living in Creston, Union Co. Mr. W. married Miss S. A. Shiley April 24, 1856; she was born Nov. 23, 1834, in Harrisburg, Penn.; have five children living--Charles born Jan. 22, 1862; Chester, Nov. 1, 1865; Celesta, Oct. 28,1867; Hattie, June 16, 1873; Lizzie, March 23, 1876; lost four--William, Hayden, Oliver and Ida. Mr. W. has served as Clerk and Justice of the Peace of his township. Owns 385 acres of land, valued at $30 per acre. Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879, Pike Twp



WATTERS, Hanson B., far., Sec. 12; P.O. Atalissa; son of Dr. W.W. Watters; owns eighty seven acres of land, valued at $60 per acre; born Dec. 9, 1840, in Belmont Co., Ohio; came with parents to this county in the spring of 1851.  At his country's call, enlisted in Co. G of 2nd I.V.C., in August, 1861, and re-enlisted as veteran in Februry, 1864; was mustered out at Davenport October, 1865; participated at the siege of Corinth, Iuka, Tupelo, Battle of Corinth and Coffeeville, Miss., where he was slightly wounded, the ball passing through his saber-belt, clothing nad memorandum-book, and lodging against one of his ribs, knocking him down as quick as it had gone through him.  Married Miss Ruth H. Parker Dec. 24, 1868; she was born in February, 1846, in Columbia Co., Penn., have three children--Allen P.,  Wm. L, and George S.  Came onto his present farm in 1869.  Has served as Township Assessor several years.  Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



WATTERS, Dr. W.W., far., Sec. 1; P.O. Atalissa; owns 200 acres in his home farm, and 90 acres in Cedar Co., valued at $11,000; born March 17, 1809, in Harford Co., Md.; with his father, Wm. Watters, moved to Belmont Co., Ohio, in the fall of 1822; in the spring of 1834, commenced the study of medicine at Somerton in same county, and graduted at Cincinnati Medical College in 1839.  Married Miss Teresa D. Gregg March 15, 1840; she was born January 21, 1821, in Belmont Co., Ohio; followed the practice of his profession till he emigrated to Muscatine Co., in the spring of 1851, and entered from Government his home farm, since which time he has devoted his time to farming; his children are Hanson B., Wm. G., Mary E., Henry Q., Walter P., Emma I. And Sarah W.; all live near him except his son Wm. G. who is in California; his sons, Hanson B. and Wm. G. served their country in the late rebellion.  Politics, Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



WEBB, A. A.,  farmer, Sec. 16; was born in Allegheny Co., Penn., May 10, 1826; in 1829, his parents removed to Guernsey Co., Ohio, where he remained until he was 22 years of age, when he went to De Kalb Co., Ill., where he married Miss Martha Jane Bartlett, a native of Ashland Co., Ohio; they were married in 1856; she was born March 21, 1839; they removed to Muscatine Co. and settled where they now reside, in 1864; have had six children, four still living--John J., Stella, Annie and Willie.  Mr. Webb and wife are members of the M. E. Church; he is a Republican. Owns 101 acres of land well improved.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



WEBB, EMMOR T. a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, came West with his parents to Iowa when quite young. He received his early education in the schools of West Liberty, Iowa. In 1863 he came to Chicago and attended school six years, moved to Blue Island, Ill., following agricultural pursuits and during a portion of this time attended Cook County Normal School, graduating therefrom in 1870, after which he attended the University of Michigan for two years. In the spring of 1872 he came to the town of Lake, and was principal of the Forty-third-street School for seven months; then of the Graham School up to the spring of  880. He took an active interest in the erection of, and suggested the name by which it is now designated. On leaving it he began teaching shorthand or tachygraphy and mathematics in the Metropolitan Business College, Chicago, and in 1881 took charge of the short hand department. In September, 1883, he accepted the principalship of the Pullman School, town of Lake, which position he held until his death, January 9, 1884, of typhoid pneumonia. He was a member of the Reform Spelling Association, Chicago. Mr. Webb had resided at Englewood since 1875.

HISTORY OF EARLY CHICAGO, MODERN CHICAGO AND ITS SETTLEMENT,  EARLY CHICAGO, AND THE NORTHWEST BY
ALBERT D. HAGER   page 704 



WEBSTER, JOHN L. farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Hepler, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, in 1835, and removed with his people to Iowa, who settled in Louisa County in 1840, where he was reared and educated. He was connected with farming there until 1878, when he came here and located, and has been actively connected with his present industry since.

He married in 1858, Miss Sarah Pierce, a native of Indiana, who departed this life in 1872, and is buried in the Methodist Cemetery, Muscatine Island, Muscatine Co., Iowa, leaving two sons and two daughters living--David Wesley, Mary E., Lillie E. and William S.

In 1873, he married Mrs. Sarah Heritage nee Brown, a native of Pennsylvania. They have a family of one daughter, Arabel. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His farm contains now but forty acres, with good buildings and a fine orchard.

Source: William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, Crawford County, Walnut Twp.



WEBSTER, Wesley W.,  of the firm of Webster & Williams, importers and dealers in Scotch, English and Irish granite, and manufactures of marble, Second street, corner of Cedar; was born near Chester, Meigs Co., Ohio, Sept. 9, 1835; son of Isaac A. and Lydia Webster; his father removed to Ohio in 1810, and was among the pioneers of the West; Wesley received what was then a good common school education and afterward attended an academy, where he completed his education; in the autumn of 1859, he removed to Muscatine, where he spent two years in learning the marble and granite monument business. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the 126th Regt. Ill. V. I.; he was at the siege of Vicksburg and at the capture of Little Rock; after being in the service two years, on account of ill health, he was obliged to return home. In the summer of 1865, he returned to Muscatine and bought out the establishment with which he had been connected, and since then he has given his entire energies and personal attention to the marble and granite trade,      giving special attention to monumental work, and has built up an extensive business throughout the West; he is prominently identified with the interests of the city and county; has served as President of the Citizens' Association, as member of the Board of Directors and of the Executive Committee of the Muscatine Water Works, and Director of the County Agricultural Society; during the past year, he has erected, on the corner of Second and Cedar, the finest business block in the city; his show-room and office is a model of taste, and his display of monumental work very large and tasteful. On the 25th of May, 1865, he married Miss Eliza Jane Galbraith, a native of Pennsylvania, of Scotch ancestry, who in childhood removed to Ohio; they have three daughters--Nola, Alice, Jesse Bell and Inez.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



WEIR, James M., dealer in imported and domestic wines and liquors, also ale, beer, and best brands of cigars; Mr. W. was born in Williamson Co., Tenn, in 1842; was educated at Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio; in 1865, he went to La Fayette, Ind; in 1866, he came to Muscatine.  Married Miss Annie Pickett, of this city; they have seven children--Narcissa, Katy, Lizzie, Annie, Joseph, James and Lorle.  Mr. W. is a Democrat.  For his genial manners and liberality, he is highly regarded by fellow citizens, is deservedly popular, and, as a citizen is full of energy and enterprise; he is giving much attention to the improvement of horse stock, and is owner of the celebrated Hambletonian stallion, Shakespheare.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
             Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879 p 622



WELSH, Robert,  proprietor of billiard hall; also dealer in choice wines and liquors, and best brands of cigars; Mr. W. was born in Ireland in 1844; emigrated to Cincinnati, Ohio, with his parents in 1850. During the war, he enlisted in Co. H, 147th Regiment Ill. V. I.; was enrolled at Chicago Ill.; served until the war was over; was honorably discharged at Springfield, Ill. In 1865, he married Miss Ella Brant in Peoria, Ill.; they have four children--Mary Ann, Clara, Nellie and Robert. Mr. W. is a "War Democrat." He is unassuming in manner, affable and courteous to all, and has a high appreciation of the humorous, inherited from his native 'Emerald Isle'; has many warm friends.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
             Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



WELTZ, JOHN proprietor of wagon and blacksmith shop, South Muscatine; was born in Germany in 1826; emigrated to Indiana in 1853; came to Muscatine in 1854.  Maiden name of Mr. Weltz's wife was Barbara Heffler; they were married in this city (Muscatine); have four children--Charles, Sophia, Annie and George.  Mr. Weltz and wife are members of the Lutheran Church; he is a republican in politics; is a member of the society Knights of Honor.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
            Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



WESSON, John; farmer, Sec. 24; P. O. Nichols; son of Joseph and Abligail Wesson; born Oct. 10, 1826, in Delaware Co.,Ohio; emigrated with his parents to Muscatine Co., Iowa, in the fall of 1843, locating upon the farm upon which he is still living, where his father died Aug. 16, 1845, at the age of 59, and his mother April 23, 1875, at the age of 81; father was a native of Massachusetts and mother of Ohio; she was born in the Fort at Waterford, Ohio, in 1793. Mr. W. enlisted in Co. I of the 11th I. V.I. Sept. 16, 1861; participated in the battle of Shiloh, where he was slightly wounded, also under Sherman in his march to the sea, capture of Atlanta, etc.; was discharged at Gaylesville, Ala., Oct. 21, 1864, and, on his home, came very near being killed by a collision on the railroad near La Fayette, Ind. Married Eliza C. Rowe, of Johnson Co., Iowa, Nov. 28, 1867; she was born March 25, 1846, in Scott Co., Iowa; have three children---Emily J., born March 18, 1869; Lizzie A., Jan. 2, 1871; John D., Nov. 12, 1874. Baptist; Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
            Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879 Pike Twp



WHICHER, S.E.,  agent and dealer in real estate; was born in Dayton, Ohio, May 8, 1836; when 3 years of age, his parents came to Iowa and located in this county, where he was brought up and received his education; after reaching manhood, he engaged in the land business, and has continued in it since; he has been a resident of this county for forty years.  He has held office of Assistant U.S. Assessor for this district.  He married Miss Anna H. Mason, a native of Uniontown, Penn., May 20, 1857; they have four children--Mary E., George M., Alice B., Frank P.  Mr. Whicher's father was known as Judge Whicher, one of hte oldest and best known members of the bar.  He died Feb. 13, 1856.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WHITE, B. C.  dealer in general merchandise, opened trade in Ord in June, 1881; carries a stock of  $5,000. He came to Ord in the fall of 1880, and engaged in the live-stock business. Now owns a large stock  ranch fifty miles above Ord on North Loup River, where he has at present 500 head of cattle. Owns 1,120 acres of fine, grazing lands. He began the latter business in the spring of 1879. He first came to Nebraska in  1859, and followed freighting from Plattsmouth, Neb., to Denver, Colo., and, in 1861, enlisted in the Indian  volunteer service on the frontier; traveled extensively in Dakota, Colorado, Nebraska and Wyoming for five  years, being a member of Company L, Seventh Regular Iowa Cavalry, and participated in many skirmishes; mustered out in June, 1866, and lived in Iowa City and Muscatine three years.

Returned to Nebraska and located at Valley, Douglas County, and engaged in mercantile and stock business ten years. Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 8, 1840. Married in Muscatine, Iowa, in 1867, to Miss Louisa Gillis, a native of Tennessee. They have four daughters and one son--Cora M., Jennie B., George B., Lydia E. and Maggie E., the two latter by a second wife. He is a member and Adjutant of Commodore Foote Post, No. 40, G. A. R.; also I. O. O. F., No. 90, of Ord, Neb. First wife died in 1877; again married in 1879, to Miss Ella E. Patton, of Iowa City, Iowa.

Source: The History of the State of Nebraska, 1882, Western Historical Company, A. T.
Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.; Ord, Valley County.



WHITE, John,  far., Sec. 33; P. O. Muscatine; born in England, July 15, 1825; moved to Wisconsin in 1853; removed to Louisa Co., Iowa, in 1857; remained eight years; came to Muscatine Co. in 1865, and settled where he now lives. Married Miss Hannah W, Harding, in 1844; she was born in England, in 1826; have eight children--Louisa, Mary A., Prudence, Susanna, Rosanna, John, Fannie and George; deceased--William H. Mr.  White owns eighty acres of land. Mr. and Mrs. W. are members of the Episcopalian Church; Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 Moscow Twp



WICKEY, John A., proprietor steam saw-mill blacksmith and machine shop, Nichols; son of John and Catharine E. Wickey; born May 12, 1854, in Hesse-Cassel, Germany; emigrated with his parents to this county in the spring of 1856, locating in Muscatine, where his parents are still living; Mr. W. learned the blacksmith trade at Wilton, in this county, also worked at the machinist trade in Davenport some time, and blacksmithing in Tipton, Cedar Co., about a year; in 1872, he came to Nichols and engaged in his present business; has no family; his business shows him to be a young man of energy and enterprise. Politics, Independent.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WIGGINS, L.G.,  Far., Sec. 6; P. O. Downey, Cedar Co.; a native of Hocking Co., Ohio; born in 1830; removed with his parents to Tippecanoe Co., Ind., 1836; in 1852, he located in Muscatine Co., Iowa, on the farm where he now resides, consisting of 478 acres. In 1854, he married Miss Amanda Adams, a native of Ohio; came to this State in 1848; they have six children--- Sylvia May ( now Mrs. McKein ), Sarah, Ann, Lucy, Etta, William F. and Cora J. Mr. W. is one of Muscatine Co's enterprising farmers.  Acts with the Democrat party.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WILDASIN, SAMUEL, farmer and President of the Union Bank at Wilton; residence, SEc. 7; a grandson of Samuel Wildasin, Sr., whose parents, when he was about 8 years of age, settled on the same farm in York Co., Penn., where the father of Samuel was born in 1781; lived upon the same farm.  Married Mary Malter, a native of Maryland, and remained at the old homestead until his death in 1857, leaving a widow (who outlived him sixteen years) and six children--three sons and three daughters; Mr. Wildasin, the eldest, was born in York Co., Penn.,  Jan. 1, 1815, and, Aug. 12, 1841, he married Catherine Manche, daughter of John M., a native of Carroll Co., Md., where she was born in March, 1814; they remained in York Co. until the spring of 1850, when they came to Iowa and settled four miles west of Muscatine, where he farmed by renting for two years, and, and having through Mexican land-warrants, entered the land where he now resides, he removed there; his farm consists of 400 acres of land, now valued at $50 per acre.  In June, 1874, the Farmers' and Citizens' Band was organized and Mr. Wildasin chosen Director and remained with that corporate body until January, 1878, when he organized the band of which he is now President.  They have five children--George, born in York Co., Penn, in December, 1842; Louisa, born in York Co., Penn., July 12, 1844, the wife of Samuel Critz, a farmer of Poweshiek Co.; Amelia, born in Pennsylvania in September, 1846; John, born in this county Oct. 12, 1850, and Henry, born in this county Oct. 20, 1855; all are settled in this county except Louisa.  All members of the Reformed Church in which he has been an Elder for many years; has held various township and school offices.

Source THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois



WILES, Alfred B.,  farmer, Sec. 3; P. O. Muscatine; born in Muskingum Co., Ohio, in 1824; his parents, Thomas and Eleanor Wiles, were early settlers of Muskingum Co.; Mr. Alfred Wiles came to Muscatine Co. in 1850; in 1851, was Steward of the County Poorhouse of this county; he located on the farm he now owns in 1852. He married in 1846, Jane Rex, a native of Muskingum Co., Ohio; born in 1827; they have had eight children, six still living---Emily R., T. George, Clara A., Charles A., Hettie E., and Hannah L.; lost second and third child in infancy. Has been Justice of the Peace and held most of the  township offices; was also County Supervisor one term. He entered the army as Second Lieutenant in the 11th I. V. I.;  promoted to First Lieutenant; served three years; was wounded in first day's battle of Shiloh; was at the siege of Vicksburg, etc.

Source THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois



WILKINSON, George R.,  farmer, Sec.1; P. O. Atalissa; owns 238 acres of land, valued at $40 per acre; born July 28, 1821, in Chester Co., Penn., where his parents died, his father in 1835 and his mother in 1838; in August, 1839, he went to Belmont Co., Ohio, and worked at the potter's trade. While there he married Miss Maria Smith March 21, 1845; she was born in December, 1820, in Lancaster Co., Penn.; in the summer of 1865, they came to Muscatine Co., Iowa, and located on the farm upon which he still lives; Have seven children--- Eleanora, Gilpin, Elma W., now Bowie; Dallas, Alice V., Lucetta and Anna M; lost two---Samuel S. and Philena. Was raised under the instruction of the Society of Friends; Republican.

Source THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois



WILL, George,  farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Moscow; son of Nicholas and Margaret Will; born March 19, 1830, in Bavaria, Germany; emigrated with parents to the United States in 1840, locating in Moscow Tp.; his mother died in 1846, and father, Nov. 7, 1857. Married Margaret Kurts Nov. 29, 1856; she was born in Germany in 1832; have four children living---Christian N., George W., John and Frank; lost three infants. Mr. W. owns 560 acres of land, valued at $30 per acre; is also Trustee of township. Member of the Lutheran Church; Democrat.

Source THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois



WILL,  John G., farmer; Sec. 22; P. O. Moscow; owns 550 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre; born Feb. 21, 1838, in Bavaria, Germany; came with parents to this county in the spring of 1840, they locating on the farm upon which he is now living. Married Sophia Shafnit Nov. 20, 1860; she was born in Germany Dec. 31, 1842. Mr. W. is one of the leading farmers of his township.  Member of the Lutheran Church; Democrat.

Source THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois



WILLIAMS, R. E., Pastor of the U. P. Church; is a native of Virginia, and was born Feb. 6, 1849; his parents came to Iowa  when he was 7 years of age; he was brought up in the State, attending the common schools, then entered Western College, where he graduated in the class of 1872; after graduating, he entered Western College, where he graduated in the Class of 1872; after graduating, he engaged in teaching, and was Principal of the West Side School in Cedar Rapids for two years, and then resigned to accept the position of President of Philomath College, Oregon; he remained at the head of this institution three years, but was obliged to resign on account of the ill-health of his wife; he returned to Iowa, and was Professor of Mathematics in Western College, and for a time, he took the place of President Kephart in the Chair of Mental and Moral Science; and since then he has been engaged in the ministry;  he came to Muscatine and became Pastor of the Church here in November, 1878. He married Miss Lucy D. Strother, a native of Findlay, Ohio; she had such a desire and purpose to obtain an education that she did so entirely by her own efforts, attending school and teaching alternately; she entered Western College and graduated in the same class with her husband; they have two children---Olive May and Blanche Edna.

Source THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois


WILLIAMS, Robert, City Recorder and Police Judge of the City of Muscatine, was born in Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., Jan. 26, 1809; he is a brother of Judge Joseph Williams, formerly Chief Justice of Iowa; Robert was brought up in     Pennsylvania; he and Hon. Jere Black, who studied law in his brother's office were boys together; after reaching manhood, he engaged in the mercantile trade, the firm being Williams, Bingham & Co.; Hon. Hiram Price, Member of Congress, used to Clerk in his store. He was appointed and served as Foreman of the first grand jury ever impaneled in Blair Co., Penn.; in April, 1855, he came to Iowa and located in Muscatine; he was appointed by Gov. Lucas Deputy Recorder of this county; in 1860, he was appointed Postmaster of Muscatine under President Buchanan; he was elected Police Judge of this city in 1871; has held that office every year since; he was appointed City Recorder in 1872, and since then he has filled that office.  July 7, 1840, in Philadelphia, he married Miss Julia A. Lincoln;  she is a native of the city of Philadelphia, and is a step-daughter of Richard Penn Smith; they have three children--Elinor M., Robert B. and Sarah B.; they have lost two children--William L. and Richard C.

Source THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois; City of Muscatine



WILLIS, JOHN G. commission merchant, Omaha, Neb., and one of the early settlers of Nebraska and Wyoming, was born in Charlton, Saratoga Co., N. Y., October 14, 1840. When fifteen years of age he removed with his father and mother to their Western farm home in Kane County, Ill., near Batavia. Living there until the War of the Rebellion, when he offered his services to his country, at the first shot of Fort Sumter. He enlisted with the New York Zouaves, to fill the first call of President Lincoln, but was taken sick  in camp at Springfield, Ill., and could not accompany his regiment to the awful battle of Bull Run. He afterward enlisted in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry, and was transferred to the Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry, Col. Beveridge, late Governor of Illinois, commanding regiment, as First or Orderly Sergeant of Company K.  Served his country in that regiment until the close of the war and was honorably mustered out of the service an officer of Company K, on December 22, 1865. Returned to Kane County, Ill., where he again turned his attention to farming until 1866, when he started from Omaha with a freighting team of mules for the purpose of freighting between Omaha and Denver. But the iron horse got away with the mules in about a year. He  entered Cheyenne with his train in July, 1867, being about the first except the government outfits. He built the first store in Cheyenne and started in general merchandising. But burned up and bursted up in the fire of 1869,  and being unable to get any insurance in those new towns, lost everything. His stock invoiced a few weeks  before the fire $22,000.

After the fire about $800. With money and courage gone, he started for Iowa with his family to settle on a homestead, and remained there until 1873, when the illness of his brother, Richard H. Willis, called him to Omaha to attend to his brother's affairs. He had a great deal to contend with even in his new Iowa home. It was then a new and unsettled country, on the then supposed line of the St. Paul Railroad, with no roads, no bridges, no neighbors. Had you been there you would have seen a young, busted and disgusted merchant, starting all alone from Sioux City, driving two teams of oxen with a load of lumber, going  up Perry Creek, determined to build a home for his family, where he could at least feel sure of land enough to  live on. But, alas, that place was not free from trouble, for if they did not burn up they blew away. For having just completed a little house there came a hurricane which blew their house all over the prairie, breaking  everything in it, and whatever saved the family he does not know, unless it is that guardian angel which must  surely be looking after them. As Mr. Willis says, he could relate more hairbreadth escapes than he has time to tell, and after all those troubles he says his family left that prairie home with regret, and it affords him more  pleasure than a little to visit that old farm, where there are acres of fruit and forest trees, set by his own hand.

Mr. Willis was married to Cecelia J. Beck, of Plattsmouth, Neb., a graduate of Tabor College, Iowa. She was born in Muscatine, Iowa, in 1850. They had six children, Robert H., George B., Cecelia Mary, William H., Gertrude Eliza, and Blanche Ida. George B. died November 21, 1872, Gertrude Eliza, September 8, 1880, both infants. Mr. Willis is a member of Covert Lodge, A., F. & A. M. No. 11, Omaha, Mount Cavalry Commandery No. 1, and one of the charter members of Mount Moriah Lodge of Perfection, also Knight Rose Croix 18° Semper Fidelis Chapter, and Charter member and Treasurer. Gustavus Stevenson Wise Master. Mr. Willis says it is his intention to spend the balance of his days at Omaha, in his home, Idle Wild Place, where he has lived for the past eight years, and has fitted it up with every convenience, making it one of the most pleasant and home-like residences in the city.

Source: The History of the State of Nebraska, 1882, Western Historical Company, A. T.
Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.; Douglas County City of Omaha



WILSON, Charley,  Sec. 24; P. O. Muscatine; born in Champaign Co., Ohio, Dec. 1, 1837; removed to Whitley Co.,       Ind.; remained two years; came to Muscatine Co. in 1857; first settled in Pike Tp.; removed to where he now lives in 1865. Mr. Wilson enlisted Sept. 1, 1861, in Co. A, 11th I. V. I., and was discharged June 28, 1862, on account of injuries received while in the service; re-enlisted February, 1864, in the same regiment and company; was in battles of Pittsburg Landing and Atlanta, where he was wounded by a ball passing through his left arm; was discharged April 25, 1865; was in all the prominent battles of that regiment. Married Miss Maria L. Dickinson June 28, 1866; born in Ohio Nov. 7, 1846; they have one son and one daughter--Jesse C. and Flora G. Mrs. Wilson is a member of the M. E. Church; Mr. W. is a member of the Congregational Church. Mr. W. owns eighty-six acres of land. In politics is a Republican.


WINNEMORE, CHRISTIAN K
Christian K Winnemore is engaged in agricultural pursuits in Sweetland township, where he owns one hundred and ninety-three acres of excellent land, and in his undertaking is meeting with gratifying success. He is a native son of that township, born December 2, 1863, his parents being Thomas and Charlotte (Willis) Winnemore, who were natives of Pennsylvania, the former born near Reading in 1829. and the latter near Lewistown, on the 25th of January, 1833. They were married in the Keystone state, where they remained until three children had been added to the household. after which the father made his way westward with his family settling first in Ottawa. Illinois, where two years were passed. Subsequently he came to Muscatine county, where his remaining days were passed. He was a carpenter by trade and after coming to the west engaged in that pursuit for many years. However, during the last few years of his life he engaged in general farming.  Unto Mr. and Mrs. Winnemore were born six children: Maggie, the wife of George Brogan, of Sweetland township; William, who makes his home in Missouri ; George, who resides in St. Joseph. that state; Christian K., whose name introduces this review; Eldridge, a resident of Montana; and Charlotte, who is with her mother.

Christian K. Winnemore, the fourth in order of birth, pursued his education in the common schools of Muscatine county, and after laying aside his text-books he was busily engaged in the work of the home farm, giving his father the benefit of his assistance for a number of years. Eventually he took up farming on his own account and now owns one hundred and ninety-three acres of land on section I8, Sweetland township, it being divided into two tracts, separated by the public highway. Here he has made his home for several years, directing his energies toward the further improvement of the fields which he has brought under a high state of cultivation. He has made a close study of agriculture, possesses good business ability and is methodical, systematic and progressive, so that he is numbered among the substantial and successful farmers and stock-raisers of Muscatine county.

Mr. Winnemore has been married twice. He was first married in 1890, the lady of his choice being Miss Elizabeth Davidson, a native of Muscatine county and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Davidson. She survived her marriage only about a year, passing away in 1891. In I898 Mr. Winnemore wedded Louise Beatty, who was born in Hesper, Iowa, a daughter of Dr. William Beatty, of that city. Five children bless this union: Charlotte, Harold, and Helen, twins, Eugene and Ruth.

Politically Mr. Winnemore is a republican, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Friends church. In all the relations of life in which he is found, whether social, business or public, he has been true to high principles of manhood, and his salient characteristics are such as have won for him the honor, respect and good-will of his fellowmen.

Contributed by  Kathie Groll
Source History of Muscatine County page 561



WINSLOW, C. C. , dealer in all kinds of sewing machines and attachments, Second street; was born in Somerset Co., Me., in 1834; in 1853, went to California; in 1850, returned to his native State; came to Iowa in 1869; lived in Washington Co. until 1873, then removed to Muscatine. He married in Kennebee Co., Me., Miss Susan Frye, a native of that county; they have two children--Edith Leonora and Walter E. Mr. W. is a member of the Society of Friends; he was a Whig, but adopted the principles of the Republican party on its organization.

Source THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois



WINTER, Charles Edwin, a Representative from Wyoming; born in Muscatine, Iowa, September 13,1870; attended the public schools and Iowa Wesleyan University at Mount Pleasant; was graduated from the Nebraska Wesleyan University at Lincoln in 1892; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1895 and commenced practice in Omaha, Nebr.; moved to Encampment, Carbon County, Wyo., in 1902 and to Casper, Natrona County, Wyo., in 1903; delegate to the Republican National Convention at Chicago in 1908; delegate to the Republican State convention at Lander, Wyo., in 1908; judge of the sixth judicial district of Wyoming 1913-1919; chairman of the Liberty Loan Committee and Council of National Defense of Natrona County during the First World War; resigned from the bench and resumed the practice of law at Casper, Wyo.; elected as a Republican to the Sixty-eighth, Sixty-ninth, and Seventieth Congresses (March 4, 1923-March 3, 1929); was not a candidate for renomination in 1928, but was an unsuccessful candidate for election to the United States Senate; attorney general of Puerto Rico in 1932 and 1933, and served as Acting Governor; resumed the practice of law; died in Casper, Wyo., April 22, 1948; interment in Highland Cemetery.

Source:  Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774-1949; p 2034



WINTERMUTE, B.K., far., Sec. 36; P.O. Melpine; born in Warren Co., N.J., May 23, 1832; came to Muscatine Co. 1853;  In 1861, enlisted in the 11th I.V.I., Co. H.  and served until the close of the war; was in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth and Vicksburg, and with Sherman to the sea; was in all the battles of the regiment and at the general review in Washington.  Married Miss L. A. Martin in 1860, a native of Warren Co., N.J., born in 1835.  Members of the M.E. Church.  Owns 200 acres of fine farming land, which he is constantly improving; also has a fine creamery, where they manufacture butter which brings the highest market prices.  Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 Sweetland Twp



WISE, J. K., lumber merchant, Blairstown; was born in Union Co., Penn., April 30, 1829; he came to this State in 1839, with his parents; they settled in Cedar County, in which county he remained until 1850; he then went to Muscatine, and remained there three years; returned to Cedar  County, and after remaining some time, he again went to Muscatine, and remained three years; he came to this town in the Fall of 1865, and engaged in his present business;  he is the only lumber dealer in the town. He has held the office of Mayor one term.

Married Miss Emma Hanslip in Muscatine, this State, in Sept., 1858; she was born in Leeds England, in 1834;  they have three children living-Charley H., born June 17, 1859; Emma J., born Oct. 3 1870; Jennie May, born in 1873

Source:  The History of Benton County Iowa, 1878



WITTEMANN, August P., proprietor of the Western Brewery, located on Eighth st., near Lucas Grove road. Mr. Wittemenn was born in Germany in 1838; emigrated to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1855, where he remained until 1862, in which year he came to Muscatine; in 1864, he married Miss Annie Mary Schaefer of this city; they have five children--Amelia, Alfred, Ida, Otto and Rosa. Mr. W. is a Democrat; members of the Catholic Church.  Mr. W. has ever been noted for his liberality and the fairness which has characterized all his dealings; is one of the leading brewers of this State.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879


WITTER, Prof. F. M.  Principal of the High School; is a native of St. Joseph Co., Ind., and was born near South Bend Aug. 15, 1838; when only 11 years of age, his father removed to Iowa in 1849, and settled in Delaware Co.; after living there four years, his parents came to Decatur Co.; he attended the common schools, and afterward entered the State University, where he graduated in 1861; he engaged in teaching in Johnson Co. for five months; then went to Davenport, and was Principal of one of the schools for two years; he came to Muscatine in 1864, and took the principalship of School No. 2; the following year, he became Superintendent of the city schools, and he afterward organized the High School; he was the first Principal of the High School, and has held that position ever since, over thirteen years, probably a greater length of time than any Superintendent in the State; he was President of the Superintendents' and                Principals' Association in Southwestern Iowa, and organized the Academy of Science in this city; he is the author of the chapter on Geology in this work. Prof. Witter married Miss Hattie H. Cook, a native of Norwich, Conn., in July, 1868; they have two children--Anna and Nellie.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879


WITTICH, Werner;  undertaker, Second st.; a native of Germany; born in 1830; emigrated to this city in 1852. In 1857     married Miss Annie Quantz; they have five children--Katie E., Elizabeth K., George M., Werner and Susanna. Mr. Wittich is liberal, voting for whoever he thinks will best serve the interests of the whole country; religiously, himself and wife are Protestant; he is an active man and an enterprising citizen.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WOOD, C.P., far., Sec. 7; P.O. Muscatine; born in Loudoun Co, Va., Nov. 29, 1822; at 12 years of age, went with parents to Morgan Co, Ohio, where he remained until he came to Muscatine Co. in 1853.  Married Miss Sarah H. Carr in 1847; born in Jefferson Co., Oho, Aug. 25, 1826, and died Feb. 28, 1875; have five children--Addison J., William G., Walter H., Jessie C. and Ida S.  Mr. Wood owns 125 acres of land.  Acts with the Republican party.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 Sweetland Twp



WORRALL, George;  Postmaster, his wife proprietor of hotel, Atalissa; born Sept. 19, 1804, in Harrison Co. Ohio; in 1828, went to Wayne Co., Ind., and subsequently to Hamilton Co.; in 1841, returned to Ohio; in June 1855, emigrated to Cedar Co., Iowa; at Pedee, engaged in mercantile business, and was also Postmaster; in 1857, came to Atalissa and engaged in the same business and was appointed Postmaster, which position he has held ever since. In September 1862, he enlisted in Co. B, of the 37th I. V. I., called the Gray-Beard Regiment, and used for guarding posts; the principal places were St. Louis, Rock Island, Memphis, Indianapolis, Ind., Cincinnati and Gallipolis, Ohio; at the latter place he was discharged in January, 1865. returned home , and has since been Postmaster. He married Sarah Barnett in 1830; she was born in 1830, in Ohio, and died in 1841; he married again, Leah Hodgin, in 1843; she was born in Ohio and died in in 1846; married again, Sarah W. Hart, March 6, 1854; she was born Sept. 30, 1827, in Morgan Co., Ohio; she was in the millinery business three years in Ohio, and opened the first millinery and dressmaking establishment in this town in      1857, which she continued until 1874, when she engaged in the hotel business; Mr. W's children by his first wife were--- Thomas, Nathaniel, Jonathan, Mary Eleanor, and John, all of whom are dead; second wife, Elias and an infant, also dead; by third wife, three living--- Jerome, who still lives at home; Emma H. and  George; Lost one---Frank V. Mrs. W. in a member of the Presbyterian Church; Mr. W. is a Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



WULF, WILHELM, one of Hickory Grove township's leading men, is German by nativity , his birth having occurred in
Holstein, February 11, 1858. When only about sixteen years of age he and his brother Charley became imbued with the desire to try their fortune in "the land of promise," and upon landing on our shores came at once to Davenport, where they have since resided. His parents were John and Doris (Hass) Wulf. His father died when he was a lad of about six years of age, responsibility in consequence falling upon his shoulders at an unusually early age. The mother, born July 26, 1816, followed her sons to America in 1875 and made her home with Charley, her death occurring April 19, 1909. Although advanced in years she enjoyed good health nearly to the time of her demise and took much pleasure in her American home and friends. In the family were six children as follows: Mrs. Louisa Thomson, of Davenport, widow of Christ Thomson; Lena, who married William Groht and is deceased; Christina, the wife of Peter Stropfen, a retired farmer living in Davenport; Doris, the wife of John Hass, of Durant; Charley, a citizen of Cleona township; and Wilhelm, the subject of the sketch.

Wilhelm Wulf was reared on a farm and its wholesome, independent life has appealed to him sufficiently to induce him to cling to agriculture all his life. He spent his first five years in this country as a farm hand, but in 1880 rented property which he managed successfully for a number of years. In 1895 he bought one hundred and sixty acres in Cleona township and foru years later sold this to become the owner of his present homestead in sections 30 and 31, Hickory Grove township. This first consisted of two hundred and fifty-seven and a half acres, but Mr. Wulf has added to it until it now amounts to three hundred and thirty acres. On this very desirable tract he engages in general farming and stock raising and his advanced agricultural methods have been productive of the best results.

In 1887 Mr. Wulf was united in marriage to Miss Theresa Siebke, daughter of Marx and Louise Siebke, natives of Holstein, Germany. She was born November 11, 1867, in Muscatine county, Iowa. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Wulf have been born the following children: Henry, Herman, Amelia, Mata, Ella, Rudolph and Helda. Louis, the third child is deceased.
Mr. Wulf has many friends and is happy in all the relations of life. He is recognized in the community as a man
whose support is always ready for any measure likely to prove conducive to the public good. Among other
interests he is a stockholder in the Farmers' Elevator Company of Walcott.

"History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E. Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chicago.1910
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann of the Scott Co IAGenWeb Project-used by permission


No surnames beginning with X at this time

Y
YOUNG, AUGUSTUS L. a native of Iowa soil, entered life in Muscatine, March 12, 1856. At a year of age he moved with his parents to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, where he remained until his sixteenth year, when he went to Fremont county, and thence to Malvern, Mills county, in September 1879. He received his education in the common schools at Mt. Pleasant and other points where he lived prior to making his home in Mills county, and at Tabor college, while in Fremont county. Subsequently he was a graduate of the law department of the State University at Iowa City, and there admitted to practice in all the state and federal courts of Iowa, June, 1879.

Thus equipped for the battle of life, he took to himself, November 25, 1880, Miss Allie E. Wilson, of Tabor, to aid and cheer him in his struggle for position, fortune and fame. Mr. Young is a member of the law firm of Young & Garrigus, of Malvern, formed in 1879.   He is a member of the Congregational church.

Source: The History of Mills County, Ia, 1881, Malvern Twp, p. 642 



YOUNG, C. S., farmer, section 3, P. O., Imogene; was born in Morrow county, Ohio, February 7, 1834, and spent his early life on a farm, leaving there in 1855 for Muscatine, Iowa, where he remained a year and a half, and then moved to Henry county, Iowa. January, 1872, he moved to Fremont county, Iowa, and located at his present home in 1874.

On the 15th of May, 1855, he was united in marriage to Miss Joanna E. Williams, a native of Ohio. By this union they have ten children: Augustus L., William A., Newton C., Myra, Charles L., Hettie M., Martha C., Catherine and John P.; one deceased. Owns 240 acres of well improved land. Mr. and Mrs. Young are members of the Congregational church.

Source: History of Fremont County, Iowa Des Moines: Iowa Hist. Co., 1881,  Monroe Township



YOUNG, James, far., Sec. 2; P. O. Durant; son of Robert Young, a native of Middleton, Conn., where he was born April 23, 1793; by occupation a farmer. On the 4th of November, 1814, he married Lydia Burr, who was born at Bridgeport, Conn., Dec 30, 1793; they settled in Sullivan Co., N. Y.; had eight children---three sons and five daughters: James, the youngest son, was born in Sullivan Co., N. Y., Dec. 6, 1829; he remained in his native county until his 21st year, then came to Iowa, where he followed the carpenter's trade in Muscatine and Davenport.    Dec. 29, 1859, he married Sarah S., daughter of Peter and Kate Gerringer, natives of Northampton Co., Penn., and with their family of two daughters and one son, came to this county in 1856; her father died Dec. 11, 1864; her mother is a resident of Davenport. Mrs. Young was born in Northumberland Co., Penn., May 1, 1839. After a residence of one year in Durant, they came to their present place of residence, where he owns 100 acres of well improved and cultivated land, valued at $50 per acre. They have five children--- Lillie K., born June 23, 1860; Oscar R., born Aug. 5, 1862; Lulu A., born Nov. 17, 1863; Mary E., born July 23, 1872, and Roy I., born Sept. 28, 1874. Republican.  Has held the office of Assessor and various township and school offices.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



YOUNG, Wilhelm,  contractor and builder; was born in Germany, Jan. 8, 1841; he there learned the trade of carpenter    and joiner; he emigrated to America in 1868; he lived in New York State and in Michigan came to Iowa in 1876 and engaged in building; he has the contract and is building the new public school--one of the finest in the State; he was awarded the contract for building the new Opera House in Marshalltown, and he also has the contract for building two stores there. He married Miss Susie Lambert, from Germany, Nov. 12, 1870; they have two children--Alice and Fred.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



YOUNKIN, Elijah,  farmer, Sec. 34; P. O. Nichols; owns 150 acres of land, valued at $30 per acre; born Jan. 11, 1816, in Somerset Co., Penn.; emigrated to Muscatine Co., Iowa, in the spring of 1844, locating in Wapsinonoc Tp., where West Liberty now stands; in the spring of 1847, came onto his present farm.  Married Miss Abigail Dwire Nov. 3, 1839; she was born Aug. 16, 1821, in Pennsylvania, and died Oct. 9, 1862; again married, Miss Eliza Silverthorn (whose maiden name was  Morrow), July 19, 1865; she was born July 17, 1827, in Athens Co., Ohio; have two children living by first wife--William and  Albert, and lost five---Norman C., who was a member of Co. F,  of the 16th I. V. I., died at Corinth June 23, 1862, and Ellen, Martha, Catharine and Barbara. Mr. Y. has served his county as one of the Board of Supervisors four years; also Swamp Land and Drainage Commissioner. His second wife has one daughter--Florence, by first husband. Member of the Christian Church; Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



ZIEGLER, WILLIAM  manufacturer, a son of Francis Ziegler, manufacturer, was born in Beaver county, Pa., Sept. 1, 1843. While William was yet a child, the family moved to the West and settled on a farm near Muscatine, Iowa. His mother, Ernestina, being left a widow when William was three years old, afterward married Conrad Brandt, an influential resident of Sweetland township in Muscatine county. In 1858, William learned the printer's trade in the office of The Muscatine Journal and followed varied employments for a few years, being after 1861 a druggist's clerk. In 1862-3, he graduated from Eastman's Business College in Poughkeepsie, and then came to New York, where after a struggle he secured a place in a wholesale drug store, with which he remained five years, in the meanwhile graduating from the New York School of Pharmacy. By economy, he managed to save a little capital, and in 1868, engaged on his own account in supplying bakers and confectioners with extracts, drugs, etc., not having at the time sufficient means to start a store. From this trade, sprang the enormous business in baking powder, which he subsequently developed. In 1870, he organized The Royal Chemical Co., and began the manufacture of baking powder, and in 1873, incorporated The Royal Baking Powder Co. These interests he managed with remarkable success, finally selling them in 1886. He has since invested largely in corporations. He owns a large interest in The W. B. Hislop Co., of Syracuse and Auburn, N.Y. In 1890, he bought The Price Baking Powder Co., of Chicago, now very profitable, and, in March, 1891, The Tartar Chemical Co., of Jersey City. He is also interested in The Lake Street Elevated Railroad of Chicago and The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, but has not been actively engaged in business since 1886. Prior to and upon withdrawing a large amount of capital from the baking powder industry, Mr. Ziegler engaged in large real estate operations and improvements in Brooklyn, especially in the 23d and 25th Wards, amounting to millions of dollars. He has also bought 2,000 lots at Morris Park, 1,500 lots in Flatbush and New Utrecht, known as the Martense Farm, 2,500 lots in Flushing and Corona, 2,000 lots on Staten Island, 6,000 lots at Linden, N.J., and much other property, including improved realty on Liberty and Cedar Streets, and Fifth and Madison Avenues in New York city. July 22, 1886, he married Mrs. E. M. Gamble, sister of Mrs. W. Jennings Demorest, of New York. He is a member of the Union League club of Brooklyn and Chicago, Atlantic, Larchmont and New York Yacht clubs, Down Town, Brooklyn and Robins Island clubs, and is a famous hunter, his house being decorated with splendid moose, caribou and deer and other trophies from the woods Mr. Ziegler came into great prominence in Brooklyn a few years ago by his long and successful fight to prevent the extravagant purchase of The Long Island Water Supply Co., by the city. He saved the city $1,500,000. He has been twice offered the Mayoralty of Brooklyn by the Republicans, but refused to make the canvass, the last time being governed by the failure of the Democrats to renominate Mayor Chapin, with whom he wished to contest the campaign.

Source: America's Successful Men of Affairs: An Encyclopedia of Contemporaneous Biography
Volume I page 753


Muscatine Iowa Genealogy Home Page Table of Contents