bio_tuv
Muscatine County and Vicinity
Biographical Sketches
Surnames T-U-V
TAYLOR, J. M. plumber and gasfitter, came to Nebraska City in August, 1868, having first located at Omaha March 25, 1860. He staid (sic)  there a year and went back to Muscatine, Iowa, where he enlisted April, 1861, in Company C, First Iowa Volunteer Infantry, assisting in raising the company. September 9, 1861, he  re-enlisted in Company A, Eleventh Iowa, serving three years.On April 10, 1865, he re-enlisted at St. Louis,  in Company H, Ninth United States Veteran Volunteer Infantry, being finally mustered out at Indianapolis, Ind., April 9, 1866. After prospecting a few months in Minnesota and Wisconsin he came to Omaha in October, 1866, where he ran a stationary engine for two years. In January, 1874, he commenced plumbing and gasfitting, having been engaged in construction of gasworks before that. His business now is plumbing and dealing in pumps, engines, windmills, gas pipes and fitting. He was born at Vienna, Champaign Co., Ohio, February 3, 1835, and was married at Keokuk, Iowa, September 23, 1866, to Susan M. Davis, a native of  Kentucky. They have two children: Katie I., and Belle E. Mr. Taylor is a foreman of the Hook and Ladder Company, having held that position since January 4, 1875. He is now Assessor of Nebraska City Precinct.   He belongs to the K. of P., and the Northwestern Firemen's Association.

Source: The History of the State of Nebraska, 1882, Western Historical Company, A. T. Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.; Otoe County



TERRY,  E. W. vice president, James Sweet National Bank, came to Nebraska City in 1862, and was in mercantile business in partnership with William Fulton for eight months. Then he engaged in the wholesale  grocery business with R. M. Rolfe, doing a large mountain and ranch trade. They sold out in 1867 to Lorton  & Bennett. He then went to New Orleans in 1868 and remained five years in the cotton commission and coffee business with his brother, L. H. Terry. On his return he and Mr. Rolfe bought out Lorton's wholesale grocery in 1875 and discontinued in 1879. July 1, 1880, he became a member of the banking firm of James Sweet & Co., and July 1, 1881, the national bank was formed, and Mr. Terry was elected vice president. He  was born at Hartford Conn., February 3, 1835.  From 1856 until he came here he lived at Muscatine, being a  partner in three wholesale stores, viz: groceries, clothing and boots and shoes. In 1859 Mr. Terry disposed of his interests at Muscatine. He was married at Janesville, Wis., in May, 1878, to Elmina Prentice, a native of that place. They have lost one daughter. Mr. Terry is a member of the Episcopal Church and of the K. of H.

Source: The History of the State of Nebraska, 1882, Western Historical Company, A. T. Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.; Otoe County



TERRY, J. K., farmer, stock-dealer and breeder of race-horses, Sec. 6; P. O. Wilton; was born in Tompkins Co., N. Y., June, 1824; was raised a farmer; he remained at home assisting in the cultivation of his father's farm until 23 years of age; and March, 1847, married Caroline, daughter of James Colgrove, who was one of four brothers all residents of that county, and extensive farmers and drovers each having large families; she was born in that county May 14, 1828. For six years after his marriage, Mr. T. remained in his native county; then went to California, where, for three years he engaged in teaming and threshing; for the latter, he received 15 cents per bushel, making as high as $200 per day; he then returned to New York, where he remained for one year, and came to Iowa and settled where he now resides, and owns 400 acres of land near Wilton, which he values at $75 per acre, and 240 acres in Poweshiek Co., valued at $40 per acre; they have had eight children, four still living Charles G. born in New York, in August 1849, now a resident of Poweshiek Co., Iowa, a farmer; Nellie M., born in New York, Sept. 8, 1855, the wife of James A. Sherman, a physician of Cherokee, Cherokee Co., Iowa; James E. born in Iowa, in 1858, died at the age of 2 months; Katie, born in 1860, died when 6 months of age; Clara and Frank, born in 1862,  died, the former at 6 months, the latter at 5 months of age;         Douglas, born April 26, 1863, and Fred, the Feb. 27, 1865. Mrs.Terry was formerly a member of the M. E. Church, but is now a member of the Congregational Church. Mr. T. has held various township and school offices, and was formerly President of the Agricultural Society of this county; is a member of the State Legislature.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



TEUFEL, J.C. DR

Although Dr. J. C. Teufel, of Buffalo, is one of the younger representatives of the medical fraternity, he has already built up a good patronage and is demonstrating his ability in the line which he has chosen as his life work. Born in Muscatine county, Iowa, October 21, 1880, he is a son of John and Otilda (Wiese) Teufel, both of whom are natives of Germany, the former born in Tuttlingen, Wurtemberg, December 27, 1840, and the latter in Arnsfeld, West Prussia, September 23, 1844. The father came as a young man to America, arriving in the new world in April, 1868, and shortly afterward he located in Muscatine county and engaged in the hotel business at Moscow. He was married December 17 1870, to Mrs. Otilda (Wiese) Barewald, who had come here in 1865 when a young girl. Mr. and Mrs. Teufel still reside in Muscatine county, the father now living retired.

Dr. Teufel of this review has two brothers: William, of Blue Grass; and Herman, of Durant. He also has two half brothers; C. L. Barewald, a practicing physician of Davenport; and Albert Barewald, of Tipton, this state. The only sister, Regina, is the wife of George Marolf, of Moscow, Iowa.

Dr. Teufel at the usual age entered the public schools of Muscatine county and completed his course by graduation from the Wilton high school with the class of 1900. In the meantime, after due consideration, we had decided upon the practice of medicine as a life work and to this end entered the Iowa State University College of Medicine, graduating from that institution of learning with the class of June, 1904. Immediately thereafter he went to Davenport, where for one year he acted as assistant county physician, and in June, 1905, came to Buffalo, where he has since been engaged in general practice. Of a studious nature, he is not content to sit idle but during his leisure moments peruses his books that he may learn more of the principles and methods of medical science. He has already built up a good practice, which, if the present is any criterion to go by, will increase materially as the years pass. He has served as both city and township health officer.

Dr. Teufel was reared and baptized in the faith of the Lutheran church but attends the Methodist church at the present time. He is a Mason, belonging to Fraternal Lodge, No 221 at Davenport, and he likewise belongs to Ranner Lodge, No. 16, K. P. at Buffalo, the Modern Woodmen of America, Royal Neighbors, New York Mutual Life, Pennsylvania Mutual, Guaranty Mutual of Davenport, and was elected supreme medical director of Industrial Workers Benefit Association. In the line of his profession he holds membership with the American Medical Association, the Iowa State Medical Society and the Scott County Medical Society.

History of Davenport and Scott County, Volume 2 by Harry E. Downer—S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chicago IL 1910
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann of the Scott Co IAGenWeb Project-used by permission



THOMPSON, T.J.,  proprietor of livery-stable and farmer; Mr. Thompson was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., Jan. 25, 1828; when he was 1 year old, his parents removed to Ohio. In 1850, he married Miss Jane C. Black, of Portage Co., Ohio; in 1852, they removed to Clinton Co., Iowa, thence to Monmouth, Jackson Co., in 1858, where they remained until 1862, when they came to Bloomington Tp., Muscatine Co.; remained in Bloomington Tp. until February, 1878, when they removed to Muscatine; they have four children--Mary E., George A., Sarah and James Albert. Mr. Thompson and wife are members of the Baptist Church; he is National in politics. Owns 320 acres of land---160 in Bloomington Tp., Muscatine Co., 80 in Marshall Co., 80 in Sac Co. His oldest daughter, Mary, married James W. Bickford; they reside in Clarke Co., Iowa. Sarah, the second child, married Marshall Kyle; they reside in Keokuk Co., Iowa.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



THORNTON, Alison,  farmer, Sec. 16; was born in Guilford Co., N. C., in 1832; in 1854, removed to Arkansas; the following year, to Mercer Co., Ill., where he married Miss Elizabeth Wells in 1858; they removed to this county in 1866, and settled on the farm where he now resides; they have one child--Sarah Emma.  Mr. T. is a member of the M. E. Church on the Island. Republican. He enlisted in the 124th Regt. I. V. I., and served until the close of the war; the Adjutant General's reports of Illinois show that he was a good soldier.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



THORNTON, AMOS G. farmer, section 10, P. O. Red Oak; was born in Canada, April 25, 1841. April 4, 1865, he removed to Detroit, Michigan, remaining there but a short  time; finally located at Muscatine, Iowa; there he followed farming until the year 1870, when he removed to this county, locating on his present farm. After four years he returned to Muscatine, remaining there about three years, when he returned to his farm in this county, where he has since lived. He was married March 31, 1869, to Margaret A. Rogers, also a native of Canada, and who at that time lived near Muscatine. They are the parents of three children: William A., born January 21, 1872; David W., born February 15, '74; Ida May, born March 8, '78. Mr. Thornton bought his farm when it was all wild land; he now has a farm of 160 acres of well improved land, a good farm-house, and a fine orchard of 130 apple trees, together with an abundance of other fruits, such as cherries, crabs, grapes, etc. His house and orchard are surrounded by a fine walnut grove. His farm is fenced on all sides with a good hedge fence.

Source:  History of Montgomery County, Iowa; 1881 



THORNTON, Bartlett,  Farmer, Muscatine Co.; was born near Hartford, N. C., Oct. 9, 1804; in 1815, he removed with his parents to Guilford Co.; remained until 1825, when he went to  Wayne Co., Ind,; thence to Mercer Co., Ill., where he married  Miss Mary Bachelder, in 1844; she was a native of Maine, born June 16, 1809; they came to Muscatine Co. in 1865; she died in this county in the 69th year of her age; they had six children, two still living. Mr. Thornton was originally a Whig, but on the formation of the Republican party, he adopted its principles; he
is a member of the Society of Friends. By his energy and industry, Mr. T. has accumulated quite a property; he owns 110 acres of land on his home place, and 410 acres near Wapello,  the county seat of Louisa Co.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



TICE, B. F. a representative farmer of Bloomington Township, residing on section 21, was born in Washington County, Md., in 1821. His parents, John A. and Anna Eliza (Stoner) Tice, who were also natives of Maryland, had a family of thirteen children, of whom he was the third in order of birth. His father was a miller by trade, and emigrated to Indiana in 1829, settling on a farm in Wayne County, where he made his home until 1848, and thence removed to Louisa County, Iowa. Residing in Grandview Townshp, near the present town of Letts, he there engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in Louisa County in 1855. His excellent wife survived him for about four years, her death occurring in 1859. Mr. Tice served in the War of 1812, and was a prominent and leading citizen of Louisa County.

Our subject passed the days of his boyhood upon the farm, and received his education in the district schools of Indiana. In 1848 he removed to Louisa County, Iowa, where he continued to reside until 1854, when he came to Muscatine County, and in 1858 removed to a farm in Goshen Township, which he rented for about seven years. He then made his first purchase of land, consisting of 112 acres known as Overman's Ferry, which was nearly all improved. For over thirty years he had charge of the ferry, and also operated the farm. To the original purchase he has added until he now owns 320 acres of fine arable land in Goshen Township, all under cultivation and well improved. In 1881 he purchased sixty acres of highly cultivated land in Bloomington Township, only one mile from the corporation limits of Muscatine, upon which he now resides. To a great extent he has retired from active duties of life, yet still raises considerable stock.

In 1850, in Muscatine, Mr. Tice married Miss Rebecca Desbro, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of Jesse Desbro, who, with is wife, was born in New York, but settled in Illinois, near East St. Louis, at an early day, the father there engaging in farming. In 1850 they settled in Muscatine County on the Island, where both died several years ago. After their marriage our subject and his wife began their domestic life upon a farm, and to them were born six children: Ann Eliza, now Mrs. Silvey, resides in Kansas; William is married, and lives on the old homestead; Martha Rebecca, wife of Hiram Devore, is living in Dakota; John is married, and resides in Jasper County, Iowa; Elizabeth, wife of Jerry Devore, is a resident of Dakota; Josephine makes her home in Muscatine.

In 1869 our subject was called upon to mourn the loss of his wife. In 1880, in Muscatine County, he was again married, becoming the husband of Nancy Wymer, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of Matthias and Hannah (Baughman) Wymer, who were born in Ohio. Her father was a farmer, and came to Iowa in 1840, settling in Cedar County, in the PeeDee settlement, where he purchased land of the Government and developed a farm, which he cultivated until his death in 1841. Many long years his wife survived him, her death occuring in 1885, at the ripe old age of eight-two years. By the second union of our subject three children have been born: Franklin, Sarah, and Margie, who are all yet at home.

In his political sentiments the father is a Democrat, and has held various township offices, and has served ascounty Supervisor. He is one of the self-made men of Muscatine County, having gained all that he has by his own efforts of industry. He is well known throught thecommunity where he resides, and is held in high esteem by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Fine portraits of this worthy couple are herewith presented to the patrons of this album

Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Muscatine County, Iowa, 1889
Contributed by Sara Nuernberger



TIPTON, Thomas,  farmer, Sec. 18; P.O. Conesville; owns 234 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre born Dec. 5, 1828, in Coshocton Co., Ohio; in January, 1851, moved to Marshall Co., Ind., and in the spring of 1856, came to Muscatine Co., Iowa, locating in this township, which was then called Cedar, but subsequently changed to Orono; was elected Justice of the Peace at the organization of the township, which office he filled for fifteen years; has also filled most of the offices of his township; is at present Secretary of the School Board.  Married Miss Margaret J. Adams Jan. 23, 1851; she was born Dec. 5, 1832, in Coshocton Co., Ohio; have three children--Emeziah R., born March 13, 1852; Ella, born Dec. 27, 1856, and George W., born March 19, 1859: lost one son, Arena.  Members of the Reformed Church; Democrat

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 page 644 Orono Twp



TOWNSLEY,  Albert G., farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Letts; Mr. Townsley was born in Greene Co., Ohio, in 1820; was second child of William and Elizabeth Townsley. He married in 1841 Sarah A. Wright, a native of South Carolina; her parents emigrated to Ohio about 1832. Mr. Townsley came to Muscatine Co. in 1843, and settled in Cedar Tp., where he resided six years; settled on his present farm in 1849. Has had seven children, five still living--Nancy A. (married Mr. David M. Rittenhouse, lives in Henry Co.), Otis A. (resides in Seventy-six Tp., Muscatine Co.), George T., William J. W. and Marion;  Rachel Iowa died April 18, 1871, aged 19 years; Bessie died in 1864, aged 2 years. Mr. Townsley's farm contains 260 acres.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



TOWNSLEY, CYRUS  farmer, Sec. 24; P.O. Letts; born in Greene Co., Ohio, in 1823.  Married, in 1843, Elizabeth Stephenson, also a native of Greene Co.,  Ohio; they came to Muscatine Co. in the fall of 1849, and settled on their present farm in 1850; have had nine children, eight still living--John S., born in 1846; Theodore T., born in 1847; Myra J., born in 1850; George A., born in 1853; Elizabeth C., born in 1855; Sally A., born in 1858; Oscar E., born in 1861; Mary R. born in 1863; their eldest son William B, born in 1844, enlisted in the 35th I.V.I. in 1862, and died in hospital at Keokuk, in 1863.  Mr. Townsley's father, William Townsley, died in Ohio, in 1825; his mother, Elizabeth Townsley, came to Muscatine Co., with her son, and died in 1855; Mrs. Townsley's parents, John and Catherine Stephenson, were early settlers of Greene Co.,  Ohio; her father died in May, 1846; her mother died in 1850.  Mr. Townsley has been Justice of the Peace for about sixteen years; was re-elected in the fall of 1868; has also held other township offices; he owns 260 acres of land.  He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 Cedar Twp.



TOWNSEND, DR. W. S.  druggist and physician, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, May 31, 1846. His  parents moved to Athens and Washington counties. He was brought up in these counties, educated in select schools, and commenced the study of medicine in Keokuk, Iowa, and under Dr. Baxter, of Wilton, Iowa; then attended lectures at Keokuk and finished his education in the medical department of the Iowa University in
1874-75. He then engaged in practice in Iowa until November, 1881, when he settled in Nebraska City, Neb.

He bought out the drug store of P. Heminger and the following month brought out his family. He was married in West Liberty, Iowa, May 23, 1877, to Miss Maggie Null, of West Liberty. They have three children: Charles, Elsie and an infant unnamed.

Source: The History of the State of Nebraska, 1882, Western Historical Company, A. T. Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.; Otoe County



TRACY, VERNET, farmer, Sec. 1; P.O. Muscatine; born in Luzerne Co., Penn., in 1803; his parents, Peleg and Hannah Tracy, were natives of Connecticut; they emigrated to Pennsylvania about 1800, and resided in Wilkesbarre (sic) till their death; his father died about 1825, his mother about 1840.  Mr. Tracy learned the trade of coach-making in Wilkesbarre (sic), which he followed till 1849, when he came to Muscatine Co., and engaged in agriculture.  In 1825, he married Mary Ann Dilly, a native of Luzerne Co., Penn, born in 1809; her parents were Jonathan and Polly Dilly; her father was a native of Connecticut, her mother, of Luzerne Co., Penn.  Mr. Tracy first located in Section 21, Seventy-six Tp.; he crossed the plains to California in 1850, and engaged in mining; returned in 1852; located on the farm he now owns in 1853; has ten children--Ferdinand, Vernet and Theodore, residents of California; Ellen, who lives in Kansas; Harriet, Hannah, Hamilton, Frances, Theodosia, Blanche; their children's ages range from 25 to 50 years.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 Cedar Twp.



TRAER, J.C., Dr., of the firm Traer Bros., bankers; born in Knox Co., Ohio, Sept. 7, 1825, and came to  Iowa in 1845, and lived in Muscatine Co., one year and in Cedar Co. one year, and in Cedar Rapids three years; came to Benton Co. in August, 1851, and is one of the earliest settlers here; he practiced medicine several years; was the first physician in Vinton; he studied law, and has practiced his  profession for twenty years; has also been engaged in the banking business since 1855; he was a  member of the Constitutional Convention in 1857, and has held the office of Mayor two years.

Married Miss M.W. Ferguson, from Portage Co., Ohio, in November 1849; they have eight  children-William N., Florence E., George E., Glenwood, Jesse F., Mary, James F., and Clifford A.

Source: The History of Benton County Iowa, 1878, Western Historical Company, Chicago, IL
Note: The biography below is of the brother of T.C. Traer.  This brother was born after the family had left the Muscatine area but may be of interest to someone researching this line so I have included it as well.



TRAER, William Montgomery, of the banking house of Traer Bros.; was born in Vinton, Benton Co.,  May 21, 1852; he is the first person that was born in Vinton, and he has lived here twenty-six years;  he has been connected with the active management of the bank since 1871. Married Miss Delia  Boggs, daughter of A.W. Boggs, Esq., of this county, Sept. 4, 1873; they have two children-James Ferguson and William Traer, Jr.


TUFTS, John Quincy, a Representative from Iowa; born near Aurora, Dearborn County, Ind., July 12, 1840; moved to Iowa in 1852 with his parents, who settled in Muscatine County; attended the common schools and Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa; moved to Cedar County, Iowa, in 1858; engaged in agricultural pursuits; member of the State House of Representatives in 1870, 1872, and 1874; elected as a Republican to the Forty-fourth Congress (March 4, 1875-March 3, 1877); United States Indian agent of Indian Territory 1879-1887; moved to Los Angeles, Calif.; engaged in the real-estate business; president of the Los Angeles Board of Aldermen 1892-1896; died in Los Angeles, Calif., August 10, 1908; interment in Rosedale Cemetery.

Source: Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774-1949; p 1935



TUNISON, ALFRED far., Sec 33; P.O. Sweetland Center; born in Sussex Co., N.J. April 2, 1831; the second son of Henry Tunison and Ann Simmons; his mother died when he was 6 years of age; he lived with an aunt until 14 years of age, then started life for himself; came to Michigan where he worked by the month until he had $300; came to Muscatine Co., Nov. 10 , 1853, and purchased eighty acres of land, now the J.B. Jester farm, which he improved; sold and bought 160 acres, where he now lives, and improved it; he hods the office of Assessor.  Married Miss Mary Ross March 25, 1855; she was born in Dearborn Co.,  Ind, Oct 21, 1834; have one son and two daughters--Harvey, Ella and Carrie, and one deceased--George.
Mrs. T. is a member of the M.E. Church; Mr. T. is a Democrat.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



TURNER, J.S.,  physician and surgeon, and dealer in drugs and medicines, Atalissa; born in Cass Co., Mich., in 1854; came to Iowa in 1860. and located with parents in Davis Co., located in Atalissa in 1878. Married Carrie Wakefield; she was born in Pennsylvania; have two children-- Maud and Everett. Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879


No listings under U at this time
VAIL, Charles B.,  farmer, Sec. 15; P. O. Muscatine; was born in Orange Co., N. Y., March 17, 1849; in 1855, he came to Muscatine Co. with his father J. M. Vail, and has resided in the county since; has a fine farm of 73 acres, which he improved, located in Sec. 15, Muscatine Island. Mr. V. is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of Muscatine. His occupation is that of farm gardening. Democrat.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VAIL, J.M.,  farmer. Sec. 29; P. O. Muscatine; was born in the town of Goshen, Orange Co., N. Y. , Nov. 27, 1819; emigrated to Dearborn Co., Ind., in 1854; the next year, came to Muscatine Co., and located on the farm on which he now lives and has improved, consisting of 140 acres, situated six miles southwest of Muscatine; he also owns 180 acres of a farm near the county line in Louisa Co.  Mr. Vail married Miss Louisa C. Chapman, daughter of Hiram Chapman, a physician of Newburg, N. Y., in 1844; they have had six children, four still living--Edward N. C.,
Charles B., James A. and J. Henry; William Chapman died in Florence Prison, N. C., Feb. 5, 1865, aged 19 years; Hiram died in infancy. Mrs. V. was born in Florida, Orange Co., N. Y.,  in 1817. Members of the Presbyterian Church of Muscatine; Mr.  V. has held several offices of honor and trust in the county, and also in the State of New York before coming West; he has always been a Democrat.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VAN ALST, THEODORE farmer and stock raiser, Section 31, Elkhorn Precinct, Douglas P. O., was born in Orange County, N. Y., in 1834, where he was identified with the farming industry. In 1855 he came West and located in Muscatine, Iowa, where he carried on a mercantile business for one year, and afterward moved to Davenport, and was identified there principally with grain and stock dealing until 1863, when he went to Montana and engaged in mining, which he prosecuted actively for nine years. After this he took up stock dealing promiscuously in the Western States and Territories until 1874, when he located here, and has very successfully carried on his present business since. In 1881 he married Miss Ida     May Marsh, who was born in Warren County, Pa., and reared in Lee County, Iowa.  Mr. Van Alst did public service in Iowa as Deputy U. S. Marshal for several years during his stay there. Since coming here he had been an active worker in the furtherance of all matters tending to promote the growth of the social development of his locality.

Source: The History of the State of Nebraska, 1882, Western Historical Company, A. T. Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.; Douglas County 



VAN CAMP, ANDREW N., attorney and counselor at law; office Fourth street; residence, Third street, Wilton; was born in Sweetland Tp., this county, Dec. 18, 1850, and lived on a farm and attended the common schools during the winter; at 16, he entered the academy at Muscatine, and, with a course at the Commercial College at Iowa City, at the age of 20, he entered the law department of the State University, in which he took a regular course and graduated June 24, 1871; was admitted to the bar June 28, 1871, and commenced practice in Wiltion in August of the same year.  July 22, 1873, he married Katy, daughter of  Mrs. Mary B. Allen; born in Ireland Nov. 25, 1850; emigrated to America with her mother when she was five years of age,, her father having emigrated three years previous and died at Buffalo, N.Y.;  Mrs. Allen and her daughter came to Rock Island, where they resided until 1867; then came to Wilton; they have had three children, two still living--James K., born May 3, 1874; William N., Feb. 21, 1876 and Frances J, March 12, 1878 died Jan. 13, 1879.  Mr. Vancamp is a member of the M.E. and Mrs. Vancamp of the Catholic Church; Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VAN CAMP, K., far., Sec. 4; P.O. Sweetland Center; born in Hunterdon Co., N.J., Sept 15, 1822; his parents died when he was a child 8 or 10 years of age; was raised among strangers; came to Muscatine Co., in 1850 and purchased 160 acres of land of Dr. Newcomb.  Married Miss Ann M. Little Dec. 15, 1849; she was born  in Sussex Co., N.J., Jan 17, 1828; have eight children--Andrew N., Abraham E., William O., Mary E. (now Mrs. Longstrech), James H., George W., Jacob E. and Frank K.  Mr. and Mrs. Van Camp are members of the M.E. Church.  Mr. Van Camp held most of the township offices; has improved 480 acres of the township; now owns 445.  Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 Sweetland Twp



VAN DAM, John,  far., Sec.14; P. O. Muscatine; born in Holland Nov. 25, 1819; came to Buffalo, N. Y., in 1844, where he remained nine years, working at the tailor's trade; has made coats for President Fillmore; came to Muscatine in 1866, where he worked at his trade fifteen years; in 1870, removed to his present place, where he has been engaged in farming and working at tailoring. Married Miss Alberta Boon in 1844; she was born in Holland Oct. 10, 1818; have six children--Pauline, Gertrude, John, Daniel, Albertus and Annie; one deceased--Alida. Mr. Van Dam owns 100 acres of land.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VAN DOREN, Jacob, far., Sec. 33; P.O. Sweetland; born in Somerset Co., N.J., July 12, 1833; when five years of age, his parents removed to Hamilton Co., Ohio; remained eight years; thence to Dearborn Co., Ind.; removed to Muscatine Co. in 1855, and settled near where he now lives; Mr. Van Doren owns eighty acres of land, on which he has made most of the improvements; is engaged in farming and manufacturing sorghum molasses; in 1878, manufactured 3,600 gallons.  Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 Sweetland Twp



VAN EVERA, CHARLES
An excellent farming property of two hundred and eighty-six acres located in Davenport township pays tribute to the care and labor which Charles Van Evera bestows upon it, and in the fine crops which he annually harvests he is continually adding to his financial resources. He was born in the Empire state, March 2, 1847, a son of Rynier and Katherine (Stowits) Van Evera. The family came originally from Holland but have lived in America since before the Revolution. Rynier Van Evera was also born in New York, a son of John Van Evera. He was married in that state and in 1837 came west with his family, establishing his home in Muscatine county, Iowa. He located on one hundred and twenty acres of land which he purchased and thereon made his home for six and twenty acres of land which he purchased and thereon made his home for six years. He then disposed of that tract and removing to Scott county, rented various tracts of land until 1867, when he purchased the farm which is now in possession of the son Charles. For many years he was identified with the development and improvement of this farm and passed away March 9, 1883, while his wife survived him for only two years, her death occurring March 23, 1885. They had a family of five children, namely: Miranda, the widow of Cornelius Wilkin, who now makes her home with our subject; Joshua, of Florida; Charles, of this review; and John and Henry, deceased.

Charles Van Evera was a little lad of seven years when he was brought by his parents to Iowa, the family home being established in Muscatine county. He started to school at the usual age in New York state and after removing to Muscatine county attended school there, while later, the family removing to Scott county, he attended the district schools here, but his education was completed in the high school at Davenport. After putting aside his text-books he gave his attention to farming, having assisted his father during the periods of vacation while pursuing his studies.

Mr. Van Evera established a home of his own by his marriage on the 30th of December, 1874, to Miss Henrietta Kepler, a daughter of John and Ann (Douglass) Kepler, of Scott county. He then began work in earnest, following the pursuit to which he had been reared and this has been his occupation to the present time. He now owns two hundred and eighty-six acres in Davenport township, which was formerly the old home place, the house which stands on the farm having been erected by the father. Mr. Van Evera since taking possession has made other needed improvements and the place is now one of the most valuable in Davenport township. He carries on general farming and also raises stock, both branches of his business bringing him a good profit. His success has been won through the most honorable methods, so that it is all the more gratifying.

As above stated, Mr. Van Evera wedded Miss Henrietta Kepler, who was born in Pennsylvania, a daughter of John and Ann Kepler. The father was born in Blair county, Pennsylvania, October 21, 1831, while the mother was born in Cambria county, that state, November 17, 1832. In 1856 a removal was made to Scott county. The family lived for a few years thereafter in Le Claire township but in 1861 took up their abode in Lincoln township, where the mother's death occurred on the 2d of February, 1877, when she was forty-five years of age. The father survived for many years and passed away in Chicago, Illinois, December 18, 1893, when he was sixty-two years old. Their family numbered eight children, as follows: Henrietta, now Mrs. Van Evera; T. B., of Tama county, Iowa; W. D., of Lincoln township; G. M., formerly of this county; W. E., a resident of Oregon; William D., of Tama county, this state; M. H., who makes his home in Worth county, this state; and R. P. of Toledo, Iowa.

The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Van Evera has been blessed with nine children; Rynier, who died in infancy; Grace, at home; Carl, who wedded Josephine Seaman and lives in Davenport township, where he follows farming and stock raising, his specialty being red polled cattle; Katherine, who is engaged in teaching in Minnesota; Kepler, who is studying for the ministry in McCormick Theological Seminary, at Chicago; Anna, the wife of B. S. Bonnell, a resident of Lincoln township; Rodger, who married Zella Barr and is farming the home place; Benjamin, also at home; and Donald, who died when six years of age.

Mr. Van Evera is a republican in his political belief and has served as school director but otherwise has filled no public office. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Presbyterian church at Summit, in which he is now acting as treasurer. Fortunate as has been his life, his record is untarnished and the name of Charles Van Evera stands for honesty, integrity and upright manhood.

History of Davenport and Scott County, Volume II; Downer, Harry E.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chicago IL 1910
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann of the Scott Co IAGenWeb Project-used by permission



VAN HORNE, George W., late editor of the Muscatine News-Tribune, who, in his more than twenty-five  years of active newspaper association, gained for himself the name of being one of the ablest journalists and most eloquent of social and political platform orators in the state, was born in Chicopee, Mass., October 12, 1833, and died in Muscatine, Iowa, February 8, 1895. After a thorough academic education, he began the study of law under the guidance of Judge Gillett, of Westfield, Mass., but seeing greater possibilities for his talent in the growing west, he came to Iowa in 1855, entering the office of Cloud & O'Conner, at Muscatine, to complete his studies and learn the Hawkeye mode of procedure. His pleasing address, exceptional command of language and adaptability for his chosen pursuit, quickly won for him deserved recognizance, and upon his admittance to the bar he was taken into partnership by D. C. Cloud, then the first attorney-general of the state. His powers as a  public speaker soon drew him into politics, and in 1860 he was appointed by Lincoln as consul at  Marseilles, France. He held this post all through the war, having the distinction of being the youngest man in the foreign diplomatic service of the United States during thatcritical period.

Returning to America in 1866 he accepted the invitation of the republican state central committee of Arkansas to take editorial charge of the new state organ that was being established in Little Rock; but the newspaper plant was destroyed by fire before his arrival, involving a complete loss, and Mr. Van Horne  was persuaded to stay in the south in the capacity of registrar of Scott county, Ark., under the  reconstruction laws of congress, but he soon resigned his position to return to Massachusetts. Mr. Van Horne, for several years following, turned his attention to various pursuits in New England,  returning to Iowa in 1870 and starting the Muscatine Tribune. He afterwards bought the Muscatine Courier and the Betts Bros. were admitted to a partnership which lasted until Mr. Van Horne withdrew to enter the lecture field. He was afterwards placed in charge of the local editorship of the Muscatine Journal, where he remained until 1887, when the Muscatine News Co. was organized and incorporated. Mr. Van Horne was elected secretary and made editor-in-chief of the Daily News, which began publication independent in politics. The editor, however, had come to have marked democratic convictions, and soon imbued the paper with his personality. It quickly became the recognized official organ of that party in Muscatine county, and in May, 1889, the Muscatine Tribune and News were consolidated, with Mr. Van Horne still the editor-in-chief. In 1893 he was again the reciplent of political  favors, this time from the democratic party, whose cause he had so zealously championed in his editorship, being appointed postmaster at Muscatine by the practically unanimous desire of his local party, his commission issuing May 12, 1893.

Mr. Van Horne's genius, as portrayed by his pen, has  been said by able critics to have been unexcelled by any associate journalist. A thorough student, he traversed the continent in his stay abroad with eyes open to the observation of the many scenes and places made notable by history and tradition, while his intercourse in life with those notable in society and politics added to his qualities as a “raconteur” and writer. Among other of his literary efforts for paper and lecture field are such as “Storied Scenes of Europe,” “Old London Town,” Picturesque France,” “Men and Women I Have Seen,” “Farmer Whiting Letters,” and “Kaleidoscopos of Memory.”

In  the fall of 1892, he became a victim to a malignant form of tumor on his left leg. The surgeons decided that a thigh amputation was the only recourse, and told Mr. Van Horne that in submitting himself to the operation, death was almost inevitable. A week's respite was asked by him to put his worldly affairs in order, and then it was that his journalistic tendencies proved their mastery over the physical man in the preparation of a supposedly farewell editorial, written for his paper and published December 11, 1892, entitled, “Perhaps a Valedictory,” which in its graphic word painting displayed so truly the strength of character and noble sentiments of the doomed writer as to be reproduced and commented upon by the press universally throughout the west. He survived the ordeal, however, and lived until the fall of 1894,  when he fell a prey to nervous prostration, from which he passed away in the dawn of the following  year, mourned by a city and eulogized by the newspapers of the state in a manner rarely accorded to one in the private walks of life.

Mr. Van Horne was married September 15, 1858, to Miss Mary Morrow, only daughter of the late Dr. James G. Morrow, one of the founders of Muscatine, and at the time a step-daughter of his former law partner, Mr. Cloud. Of this union there were born four children: Hattie D., born at Muscatine, July 2, 1859; Benny R., born at Chicopee, Mass., July 14, 1861, who died in infancy in France; Lulu C., born at Marseilles, France, May 3, 1865, now the wife of Edward G. Magoon, of Muscatine; and Elworth Stiles, born at Muscatine, June 14, 1874.

Source:  Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa. Gue, B.F. Des Moines: Conaway & Shaw Publishers, 1899.  page 463



VANCE, J.J.,  far., Sec. 34; P.O. Sweetland Center; born in Cumberland Co., Penn., in 1823; served an apprenticeship as chair and cabinet maker, which occupation he followed in Pennsylvania and in Muscatine, where he removed in 1845.  He married Miss Isabel Jackson (now deceased) in 1854.  Mr. Van Doren (sic) owns 100 acres of land; is a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge, No. 5, Muscatine; Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VANCE, R.I.,  far., Sec. 34; P.O. Sweetland Center; born in Cumberland Co., Penn, in 1817, where he was engaged in chair and cabinet making, came to Muscatine in 1845, where he engaged in farming for some time; removed to his farm in 1855.  Married Miss Mary M. Hershe in 1852; born in Cumberland Co., Penn. in 1829; they have three sons and four daughters--Charles, Elizabeth J., John, Margaret, Edward, Katie and Minnie.  Mr. V. owns 185 acres of land.  Members of the Presbyterian Church; Mr. V. is a Democrat.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VANATTA, James; farmer, Sec. 11; P.O. Muscatine; born Beaver Co., Penn., in 1811; twin brother of William Vanatta; came to this county in the spring of 1846; he purchased the farm which he now owns in 1847.  Married in 1836 Katie Ann Brobeck, sister of his twin brother's wife; have had eleven children, seven still living--Phillip, Mary, John, William, James, Joseph, and Annis; the others died in infancy.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VANATTA, P., far., Sec. 33; P.O. West Liberty; son of James and Katy A. Vanatta; born Feb. 21, 1837 in Beaver Co., Penn; came with parents to Muscatine Co., Iowa, in the spring of 1846, locating near Muscatine, and subsequently moving to Seventy-six Tp., where they are still living.  Married Miss Elizabeth P. Kinsley, of this county, Dec. 1, 1862; she was born March 1, 1839, in Marion Co., Mo.; have four children living-- Elmer, born Nov. 6, 1863; Albert L., May 10, 1865; Lillie, born July 7, 1873, and Frank B., born Aug. 13, 1876; lost one infant son.  Mr. V. owns a farm upon which he lives of 170 acres, valued at $30 per acre.  Is a member of the M.E. church; Republican.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VANATTA, Wm., farmer, Sec. 1; P.O. Muscatine; born in Beaver Co. Penn, in 1811; his parents James and Betsy Vanatta, were natives of Pennsylvania; his father died in 1837; his mother about 1855.  William Vanatta married Matilda Brobeck; her parents came to Muscatine Co. from Pennsylvania in 1851; her mother died in 1858, her father in 1862.  Mr. William Vanatta came to Muscatine Co. in 1846; he first settled in Sec. 11 of Seventy-six Tp; he purchased the farm where he now resides in 1868, and located thereon in 1869.  Has had eight children, seven of whom are living--Elizabeth (now Mrs. Fulim), Margret (now Mrs. B. Randleman), Samuel (married Araminta McGrew), Amelda (married Daniel McCabe), Williamson (married Lydia Johnson), Charlotte (married Elias Holliday), David (married Anna Zaebringer).  Harrison enlisted in 1861 in the 11th I.V.I.; died at Jefferson City, Mo.  in 1862.

Source: THE HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY IOWA Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879



VARNER, J. W. ,  proprietor of the Commercial Hotel; is a native of Greenbrier Co., near the White Sulphur Springs, Va.; when only 2 years of age, his parents removed to Stanton, Va., where they lived until he was 10 years of age; then removed to Portsmouth, Ohio, where he was brought up; he and his brother were engaged in contracting when the war broke out. His brother, afterward Col. Sampson E. Varner in October, 1861, was  commissioned Major of the 56th Regiment Ohio V. I.; he was promoted and served with distinction during the war; he died in Portsmouth, Ohio, in June, 1877. John W. was engaged in Steamboating for seventeen years; the last boat that he commanded was the "Navigator";  he afterward engaged in the hotel business at Savanna, Ill.; was proprietor of the Griggs House; he came to Muscatine and became proprietor of the Commercial House April 27, 1876. He married Miss Caroline L. Noel, a native of Portsmouth, Ohio; they have three children--Emma (now Mrs. Van Patten of this city), Caddie and Allie both at home.


VERINK FAMILY OF HOLLAND
John Verink came from Holland in 1872 and located on the land now owned by the Oak Grove church and the Jean's Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Verink had two children, Henry, born in Holland, and Minnie, born after arriving here. Henry never married, but was a prominent and successful farmer and cattle feeder. Minnie was married to Wm. Idle and lived her entire life in Cedar Twp. They had one daughter, Frances, who was married to John Harvey. They had four children, Ward, Esther (now Turner), Edward and Lucille, (now Bailey).

1855 - 1955 HISTORY OF MUSCATINE
VERINKS FROM HOLLAND
Posted by Rachelle Curtis



VERINK, HENRY of Cedar township, is a native of Holland, but has been a resident of the United States for forty-five years and has attained a prosperity that indicates pratical judgment and wisely directed industry. He was born December 5, 1863, and is a son of H.J. and Jane (Teherik) Verink. The family came to America in 1865 and located in Muscatine county, Iowa, taking up their residence five years later on a farm on section 14, Cedar township. The father was a very industrious man and became one of the substantial farmers of the community. He departed this life February 15, 1893, at the age of about seventy-nine years, having been born September 12, 1814. The mother was born July 14, 1830, and was called away April 5, 1892, at the age of nearly sixty-two years. There were two children in the family besides our subject, the second dying in infancy and the third, Minnie, now being the wife of W.I. Idle, of Cedar township.

Henry Verink possessed limited educational opportunities, as he was obliged to assist his father upon the home farm even when quite young. However, he gained a very thorough knowledge of agriculture and stock-raising and at twenty years of age began renting land on his own account, managing so successfully that after six years he was able to purchase eighty acres of good land in Cedar township. He has since acquired additional land until at the present time he owns a fine farm of two hundred and ninety-seven acres and is recognized as one of the successful and substantal citizens of the township. His good fortune is due to persistence and a thorough knowledge of his work. Besides his farm property, he owns a house and blacksmith shop in Cranston and also three empty lots.

Although mixing little in political affairs, he keeps well informed as to the general trend of events, and give his support to the democratic party. he has held the office of township trustee and has also served as road supervisor of his township. He has always been loyal to the interest of the community where he lives and by his integrity of character and public spirit has made many friends. He is in possession of an abundance of this world's goods, more than enough to supply him with comfort and luxuries during the remainder of his life--all of which he had gained through honorable methods and by his own exertions. He has used economy, industry and perseverance-- a trinity that seldom fails abundantly to reward is possessor, yielding to him not only handsome financial returns but a goodly measure of contentment, even more to be desired than riches.

HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY
Posted by Rachelle Curtis



VERINK, JOHN T. of Muscatine county, who has a well established reputaion as a farmer and stockman, was born in this county, December 8, 1876. He is a son of William and Fannie (Simpson) Verink, the former of who was born in Holland and the latter in the United States. The father came to America with his parents in 1853 and lived in Muscatine County until his death, which occurred March 12, 1907. The mother was called away in March, 1895. There were two children in the family: our subject and Susan E., now the wife of M.L. Shellabarger, of Letts, Louisa county, Iowa.

John T. Verink was reared upon the home farm and educated in the district schools. He continued with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age and then began upon his own account as a shipper of cattle and hogs to the markets of St. Louis and Chicago. In 1901 he purchased a farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Seventy-six township and has since acquired more land so that at the present time he is the owner of two hundred and sixty acres. He makes a specialty of raising and feeding stock and, having good judment and thorough knowledge of the grades of live stock most in demand in the market, he has been very successful in this line. His farm is in a high state of cultivation and everything about it shows that it is under the care of a practical man.

On the 4th of March, 1902, Mr. Verink was united in marriage to Miss Florence Hunter, a native of Eldon, Iowa, and a daughter of Samuel and Mary Hunter, who were also born in this state. Mr. Hunter is now deceased but his wife is still living and makes her home in Louisa county, Iowa. There wre four children in their family. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Verink has been brightened by the arrival of one daughter, Zelda S.

Mr. Verink is a member of the Masonic lodge at Letts, and he is a staunch belieiver in the fraternal principles of the order. Politically he give his allegiance to the democratic party. He is greatly esteemed by the people of his township and seved as assessor two terms, performing the duties of the office in such a way as to receive the hearty commendation of the tax-payers.

HISTORY OF MUSCATINE COUNTY
Posted by Rachelle Curtis



VERINK, WILLIAM, farmer, Sec. 14; P.O. Letts; was born in Holland in 1838; his parents John H. and Hannah Verink, emigrated to this country in 1846; they first located in Chautauqua Co., N.Y.; came to Muscatine in 1848, where his father still resides; his mother died soon after they came to Muscatine.  Mr. William Verink learned the business of painting, which he followed  till about 1869, when he purchased the farm which he now owns, and where he has since resided.  He married, February, 1869, Fanny Simpson, a native of Muscatine Co., born in 1842; they have two children--Susan E., born in 1869, and John T., born in 1876.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
Western Historical Company Chicago Illinois 1879 Cedar Twp.


Muscatine Iowa Genealogy Home Page Table of Contents