bio_opq
Muscatine County and Vicinity
Biographical Sketches
Surnames O-P-Q
OLDS, Gamiliel; retired farmer, Nichols Station; owns 315 achres of land, valued at $20 per acre; born Nov. 28, 1803 in Windham Co., Vt.; in the spring of 1821, he came to Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, and, in the spring of 1832, removed to Pickaway Co., where he remained until the spring of 1839; then emigrated to Muscatine Co., Iowa, and laid claim to part of the farm he still owns in this township, on Sections 23 and 24, there then being but five other families in the township.  He married Minerva Howe, of Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, April 12, 1826; she was born Oct. 6, 1804, in Onondaga Co., N.Y.; she died Jan 26, 1876, leaving her companion and three children to mourn her loss; the children are Almira S. Mills, Minnie H. Cope and Gamaliel W., who is now engaged in mercantile business at Lone Tree, Johnson Co., Iowa.  Mr. O has served his township as Justice of the Peace eleven years, and as Dr4ainage Commissioner for his county for four years.  He now makes his home at Nichol Station, his farm being rented.  Member of the M.E. Church.  Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879 Pike Twp page 651



ORMAN, James Bradley, governor of Colorado, was born in Muscatine, Iowa, Nov. 4, 1849; son of John and Sarah Josephine (Bradley) Orman. He attended the common school, worked on his father's farm and in 1869 engaged in business with his brother, William A. Orman, as a contract, or in railroad building, his work extending through the whole western country, and embracing the most prominent railroads and irrigating canals of that region. He also accumulated valuable mineral and coal lands and real estate in Pueblo, Denver and Trinidad. He made his home in Pueblo, where he was married, Sept. 27, 1877, to Nellie, daughter of William P. Martin. He was president of the electric railway of that city; a member of the city council; a Democratic representative in the state legislature, 1880-84; received twenty-seven votes on joint ballot for U.S. senate in 1883, there being only twenty-two Democratic votes; declined the Democratic nomination for governor of Colorado in 1888 and 1890; was a delegate to the Democratic national convention of 1892; and mayor of Pueblo, 1897-98. He was nominated for governor of Colorado by the Democratic party and endorsed by the Populists and Silver Republicans, being elected by a large majority in the fall of 1900 for the term expiring Jan. 10, 1903.

Source:  The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume IIV


ORMAN, JAMES B., state senator, was born Nov. 4, 1849, in Muscatine, Iowa. In 1880 he was elected representative to the third general assembly; and in 1883 to 1885 he served in the state senate  from Colorado.

Source: Herringshaw's Encyclopedia of American Biography of the Nineteenth Century. page 706



ORR, S. A.  farmer and stock-raiser, came to Nebraska in the latter part of April, 1872, located on Section  32, Town 5, Range 3 west, Hamilton Precinct. He has 160 acres of land, all under cultivation. He has erected a fine frame dwelling, at a cost of $1,400; has been Assessor, and held several other town offices. He was  born in Clarion County, Penn., February 9, 1845; lived in his native State until 1869, when he moved to  Muscatine County, Iowa, and farmed until he came to Nebraska. He was married, in 1867, to Miss Sarah A. Orr, of Limestone Township, Penn. They have eight children--John H., Wade C., Wilbert B., William M., Amor C., Lloyd H., Stewart R. and Charles E. He enlisted, August 28, 1861, in Company C, One Hundred and Fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; participated in the siege of Yorktown, Williamsburg, and seven days' fight on the Peninsula, Charles City Cross Roads, Malvern Hill, Second Bull Run,  Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Wilderness, being then wounded in the first day's fight; was  in the hospital until June 16; joined a regiment at Petersburg, Va., and participated in fights around the latter  place as Color Bearer; taken prisoner October 27, 1864; confined until March, 1865; mustered out in Harrisburg, Penn., May 28, 1865. Mr. Orr and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Source: The History of the State of Nebraska, 1882, Western Historical Company, A. T.
Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.; Fillmore Co.



OURS, Joseph, retired; residence. Fourth street, corner Elm, Wilton; born near Philadelphia, Penn., Dec. 16, 1812; having lost both of his parents at the age of 8 years, was taken by an uncle to Berks Co., Penn.; having served an apprenticeship at the millwright trade, he worked at that from 18 to 25 years of age, and in the fall of 1837, went to Columbia Co., Penn., where April 17, 1838, he married Catharine, daughter of John Newhart of that county; she was born in Lehigh Co., Penn., 1820, Nov. 25; he then engaged in milling in Northumberland Co., Penn., for                 six years; returned to Columbia Co., and farmed for eleven years; in the spring of 1859, came to Iowa and settled on a farm in Wilton Tp., for three years; then removed to Wilton and kept the Wilton House and engaged in the livery business on Railroad street, corner of Cherry; this he continued until December, 1874, with the exception of three years, and renting his hotel, has returned to his present place of residence; they have had nine children, eight still living--John H., born Feb. 2, 1839, now of Union Co., Iowa; Ann S., Nov. 29, 1840, the wife of Dan Harker, of this city; Rebecca Sept. 10, 1842, and wife of L. F. Critz, of this county; George F., Sept. 28, 1844; Mary M., Sept. 24, 1846; died Sept. 8, 1868; Amelia, Jan. 5, 1849, the wife of Joseph McConnel, of Wilton; Isaiah R., June 2, 1851; Emma S. October, 1853, and Effie J., Aug. 31, 1855, the wife of William Densmore. Mr. and Mrs. Ours were among the original members of the Reformed Church of Wilton; he was a member of the Board of Aldermen for many years, and Trustee for several years. Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



OVERMAN, Cyrus, farmer and stock-raiser; Sec.15; P.O. Atalissa; son of Enoch and Sarah Overman; born Aug. 11, 1833, in Highland Co., Ohio; came with his parents to Muscatine Co. in October, 1847, locating on the Cedar River, at what was called Overman's Ferry Post Office, of which his father was the Postmaster for several years; his father died Dec. 25, 1858, and his mother April 15, 1867.  Mr. Overman came onto his present farm in the spring of 1867; owns 265 acres, valed at $45 an acre.  Married Elizabeth D. Barkalow Jan. 7, 1858; she was born July 26, 1838, in Shelby Co., Ohio; have four children--Sarah M., Junius, Hattie and Clara; lost one son, Clyde.  Mr. O. is among the leading farmers of his township.  Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879


P

PACE, M.P., farmer, Sec. 11; P.O. Muscatine; born in Pittsylvania Co., Va., Feb. 25, 1815; went with his parents to Washington Co., Ky., in 1819, and in the fall of 1831, removed to Morgan Co., Ill., thence to Warren Co., and in 1835, he and his father came to Muscatine Co., took a claim, and moved in the spring of 1836, where his parents, Michael and Nancy Pace, lived until their death.  Mr. Pace married Miss Amanda Chambers, daughter of William and Sarah Chambers, April 2, 1843; born in Washington Co., Ind, Feb. 25, 1825; she came to Muscatine Co. with parents May 12, 1836.  Mr. Pace has three sons and three daughters--Ellery W., Iona N. (now Mrs. Nye), Emma S., Elbridge F., Elvin, Susie H., and two deceased--Sarah and Douglas A.  Mr. Pace has made the improvements on 600 acres where he lives.  Democrat.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PACKARD, Kennedy, liveryman, Red Oak; he was born in Albion, Michigan, January 20, 1848, and moved with his parents when small to East Tennessee; living there three years, and was engaged in farming. After traveling for a time they finally located in 1858, in Montgomery County, Iowa, in the old town of Frankfort. His father was for a time treasurer of the county. Then he and his father engaged in the real estate business in partnership until 1871, when Mr. Kennedy Packard took charge of the land business and continued it until 1876; then sold out his business and turned his attention to farming and improving his land, having at that time about two thousand acres of land. He continued to improve and sell, and now has but one farm of seven hundred and sixty acres, all in cultivation and pasture. He and his father are partners in the farming business only. In 1879 Mr. K. Packard bought the livery stable, being interested in fine horses; made this purchase that he might further his interests in the fine stock business. He now has seven head of horses recorded in the breeders' trotting stud book, and seven mares that are high grades; they are all of the Hambletonian stock from the Messenger. Mr. Packard makes this line of his business a specialty. He was married in 1869 to Miss Augusta Cady of De Soto, Missouri. She was born in Wisconsin in September, 1848. They are the parents of three children: Marguerite, born December 14, 1870; Rea C., born October 25, 1872; Harold A., October 23, 1874.

Mr. Packard's school advantages were very limited, but he was of a literary turn of mind and read and studied much at home, and may be said to be a self-made man. Mr. Packard has harvested grain where the C. B. & Q. depot now stands, and in 1867 raised a crop of corn on the same ground. His fine horses are sired by the horse known as "Tramp," owned at Muscatine, Iowa; one of his horses is called "Trampolier," and won the four year old race at Des Moines, at the state fair in 1879; and another called "Trapeze," who won the three year old race in 1880, half mile in 1.20, at Red Oak.

Source: History of Montgomery County, Iowa; Des Moines: Iowa Hist. and Biographical Co., 1881
(No we are not doing horse genealogy now, but does anyone know who owned the horse "Tramp" at Muscatine??)



PADGHAM, JAMES B, M.D.

Dr  James Padgham, who has recently taken up the practice of medicine in Donahue, Allens Grove township, was born at Inland, Cedar county, Iowa, March 30, 1883, a son of Dr. George W. and Magdalena (Rager) Padgham. The father was born near Troy, New York, in 1849, but as a mere child came to Iowa with his parents, settling in Scott county. He received his early education in the public schools, after which he attended the State University of Iowa, from which he obtained his medical degree. For a number of years he practiced in Cedar county then removing to Scott county, made his home in Dixon for ten years, after which he returned to the former county, where, in the town of Bennett, he spent the last four years of his life. His death occurred July 4, 1898. His wife was born near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, in 1848 and was about fourteen years of age when her parents located in Cedar county, Iowa, where she grew to maturity. She is now living in Dixon, Scott county. Five children were born to Dr. and Mrs. George Padgham: Mary Myrtle, who died at the age of seventeen years; John T., a physician in Dayton, Iowa, who attended the high school at Davenport ad later the State University of Iowa, from which he was graduated June 16, 1909; Laura Edith, the wife of P. R. Bell, of Bennett,
Iowa; Benjamin Walter, a resident of Dixon; and James B., the subject of this sketch.

James B. Padgham was about three months old when his parents left their Cedar county home and removed to Dixon, Scott county, where he attended the public schools. Later he was a student in the State Normal School at Cedar Falls for one year and having determined to make the practice of medicine his profession he was enrolled as a student in the State University of Iowa, from which he received his degree of M. D. June 16, 1909, at the conclusion of a four years' course. On the 11th of August of that year he took up his residence in Donahue, and in the few months he has been here there have been many occasions on which he has proved his efficiency. As he is becoming better known daily there is every reason to believe that in less than a year he will have built up a large practice.

Shortly after his arrival here, Dr. Padgham was married, September 8, 1909, to Miss Ida Louise Battey, who was born in Hodgeman county, Kansas, July 18, 1886. Her grandfather, William C. Battey, had been a physician, practicing in the vicinity of Muscatine, Iowa, while her father, Dr. Francis H. Battey, was also a member of the medical profession. He wedded Miss Minnie Kniffen and shortly after their union moved to Kansas, later attending the high school at Springdale, Cedar county, Iowa, and at West Liberty, from both of which institutions she obtained a diploma. She was also pupil in the business college at Muscatine. For a period of four years she was telephone girl at the West Liberty exchange and for the two years prior to her marriage was a stenographer, spending half of that time in the employ of Dr. E. T. Kischner, the superintendent of the State Sanitarium for the Treatment of Tuberculosis, at Oakdale, Iowa. She is a young woman of many attainments who should prove of valuable assistance in advancing the interests of Dr. Padgham in Donahue.

History of Davenport and Scott County, Volume II; Downer, Harry E.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chicago IL 1910
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann of the Scott Co IAGenWeb Project-used by permission



PAGE, Charles,  Sec. 2, now inside the city limits; was born in Norfolk Co., England, in 1830; in 1849, Mr. P. sailed for the United States, first stopping a short time in St. Louis, Mo.; thence came to Iowa, locating at Muscatine, where he has since been engaged in several important enterprises, such as the Muscatine Water Works, and various other public enterprises of  importance and note. Mr. P. was formerly extensively engaged
in distilling in the city of Muscatine. In 1855, Mr. P. returned to England, and married Miss Mary Ann Pycroft, a native of Norfolk Co., England; they have had five children, all of whom are living---James W., Charles N., Lucinda J., Mary Ann and Henry C. Mr. P. is one among Muscatine's substantial citizens; public-spirited and thoroughly enterprising. Acts with the Democratic party.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois



PAIGE, Samuel, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 29; P.O. Garrison; born in Merrimack Co., N.H., Dec.14, 1832; came to this county in the Fall of 1857; has 240 acres of land, valued at $10,000. Married Mary M. Schoonover; she was born in New York April, 1835; mother of six children-Lucy Ann, Mary  Alma, Oliver L., David E., Ira W., John. Emigrated from New Hampshire to Muscatine Co., Iowa, where he lived about three years; thence to Benton Co., where he has resided since; was among the  earliest settlers in the township; when he came there it was in its wild state; there was only one  shanty between here and Blairstown, that being a sod shanty built by a man name of Kanan. Has a  fine grove of seven acres, planted by his own hands; raises on an average about sixty-five acres of  corn yearly or 2,500 bushels; wheat, 200 bushels; oats, 600 bushels; turns off seventy head of hogs  and about a car load of cattle. Mr. Paige has one of the finest Short-Horn bulls in the county, by  which he is improving his stock, and is one of the thriving farmers of the county.

Source: History of Benton Co Iowa 1878



PARHAM, WILLIAM M.  farmer, Section 9, P. O. Brighton, was born in the city of Philadelphia, in 1846, and when a boy went with his parents to Iowa, where his father J. C. Parham, engaged in farming, and subsequently removed to Muscatine, where he died June 8, 1878.The subject of this sketch learned the trade of horse collar maker and house painter, and removed to Kansas in the spring of 1878, locating upon his present farm. January 1, 1878, he married Miss Annie M. Eckel, of Schuylkill County, Pa., who has borne him four children, viz.: Harry C., born October 20, 1867; Edgar L., February 25, 1870; Charles F., June 4, 1873, and Frank E., August 7, 1875. Mr. Parham's farm of 160 acres, contains sixty acres in cultivation. His outbuildings are very large and commodious. He has every facility for the care of stock, in which he largely deals. Having excellent springs upon the premises. Has been clerk of the School Board of his district for the past five years, and is a member of the  A. O. U. W., and for three years was Postmaster of Helen office.

Source: William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, Afton Twp, Sedgwick Co.



PARR, HENRY, far., Sec. 33; P.O. Pleasant Pairie; born in Licking Co., Ohio, Sept. 18, 1812; came West in 1835; attended the land-sales in Chicago; thence to Scott Co., Iowa, where he worked at blacksmithing for some time; in 1846, removed to Muscatine Co. and settled where he now resides.  Married on April 10, 1839, Miss Amanda Daniel, a native of North Carolina, born in 1819; their children are Malvina, Rebecca, Henry and Sarah B; deceased--William, Samuel, Mary and Maria.  Mr. P. is a Republican; Mrs. P. is a member of the Baptist Church.

 1879 Fulton Twp



PARRY, David, farmer, Sec. 21; P. O. Atalissa; owns 120 acres of land, valued at $35 per acre; born Aug. 5, 1811, in Chester Co., Penn.; in 1813, his parents moved into the State of Delaware, and, in 1816, back to Pennsylvania; in 1828, back to Delaware; married there, to Miss Lydia K. Hollingsworth Dec. 10, 1835; she was born April 20, 1805, in Delaware; in 1847, moved to Pennsylvania, and from there to Henry Co., Ohio, in        1852; in the fall of 1855, came to this county, locating in Goshen Tp.; have five children living--Phoebe, Mary, Lewellen, Sarah and John A.; lost one, Ferdinand. Democrat.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois



PARVIN, J.A., farmer, Sec. 19; P.O. Muscatine; was born in Cumberland Co., N.J. Nov. 10, 1807; the youngest son of four now living, of David Parvin and Elizabeth Sutton.  Mr. Parvin came to Cincinnati, Ohio, in an early day, where he engaged in teaching school for two years; removed to Muscatine in 1839, and taught school for one year, then engaged in the mercantile business for four years; was appointed District Clerk of the Court; elected to the General Assembly in 1850, and served in the winter of '50 and '51; was elected Mayor of Muscatine in 1854, and served one year, and in 1857, was a member of the State Constitutional Convention; elected to the Senate in 1863, and served six years; was one of seven who organized the first M.E. Church in Muscatine in 1839.  Mr. Parvin has been matrimonially unfortunate; is now married to his fourth wife, Martha M. Williams, a native of Boston, and has been unfortunate in raising a family; have had thirteen children--only two now living--one by first wife, Thomas S., and by second wife, Ida (now Mrs. R. N. Ingersoll).  In May, 1855, Mr. Parvin removed to where he now resides, and has been a farmer since.  He united with the M.E. Church in 1832; has never been a consistent member.  Democrat until 1854, when he helped organize the Republican party, and has been a Republican ever since.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PARVIN, Theodore Sutton, educator, was born in Cedarville, N.J., Jan. 15, 1817; son of Josiah and Lydia (Harris) Parvin. Josiah Parvin served as an aide to General Origen in the war of 1812, and his father was a Revolutionary soldier. Theodore Parvin removed to Cincinnati, Ohio,  with his parents in 1829, was graduated at Woodward college in 1836, and at the Cincinnati Law school in 1837. He began practice in Burlington, Iowa, in 1838, and was private secretary to Gov.  Robert Lucas and territorial librarian, purchasing the first books that formed the nucleus of the Iowa state library with an appropriation of $5,000 made by congress. He was district attorney for the middle district of Iowa, 1839-41. He removed to Muscatine in 1840; was secretary of the legislative council, 1840-41; probate judge 1841-47, and clerk of the U.S. district court, 1846-56. He was county judge, 1848-50; register of the state land office, 1857-59; librarian and curator of the Iowa State university, 1858-70; professor of natural history, 1860-70, and  professor of political economy there, 1867-70. In 1844 be founded the Iowa Masonic library, and was its first librarian, the building being erected in 1884. He was secretary of the Iowa State Historical society, 1864-66; organizer of the Iowa State Teachers' association in 1854, and its president in 1867; president of the school board of Muscatine in 1855, and later of the school board of Iowa City. He was also a founder of the state library society in 1890, and its president,  1892-94, and a member of the Pioneer Law Makers' association.

He was married, May 17, 1843, to Agnes, daughter of George and Nancy (Barton) McCully of Muscatine, Iowa. He received the honorary degree of A.M. from Miami university in 1861, and that of LL.D. from the Iowa State university in 1894. He edited the Historical Annals of Iowa, the Annals of Iowa Masonry, the Western Freemason (1859-60): the Evergreen (1871-72), and the Transactions  of the Knights Templar (1871-86). He is the author of: The Newspaper Press of Iowa, 1836-46; History of Iowa (1877); History of Templary in the United States (1877); History of the Early Schools of Iowa, 1830-59 (1889).

Source:  The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume IIV,  page 216



PATTERSON, B.F., Farmer, Sec. 11; was born in Knox Co., Ohio, in 1845; came West with his parents. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 2d Regt. I. V. L., served until August, 1865.  Married Miss Mary Klein, of this county; have three  children---William Edward, Olive Iowa and Oron Eldon. Mr. Patterson and wife are members of the M. E. Church; he is Republican in politics. Owns 80 acres of land.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois



PATTERSON, JAMES;  Sec 24; P.O. Muscatine; born in Fayette Co., Penn., Jan. 14, 1813; at 13 years of age he removed, with his parents, to Hamilton Co., Ohio; in 1826 removed to Union Co.,  Ind., and remained till 1856, when they removed to Rock Island Co., Ill. ; in November, 1866, came to Muscatine, and remained six years; March 12, 1872,. moved to where he now lives.  Married Miss Sarah Brandenburg, Feb. 14, 1839, who was born in Union Co., Ind., Aug. 22, 1815, and died April 22, 1866; have one son and one daughter--Viola, now Mrs. Barger, and George B, and twelve deceased; Mr. Patterson owns 257 acres of land.  Greenbacker.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PATTERSON, Mrs. Laura L., farmer, Sec. 36; P.O. Melpine; daughter of Benjamin and Azubah Nye; was born in Wayne Co., Ohio, Jan. 22, 1827; her parents were natives of Vermont; came to Muscatine Co. in 1833, being the first white family that settled in the county.  Mr. Nye, her father, built three mills on Pine Creek--the first mills built in the county--one of which still stands as a momento of pioneer times, and is still in operation; owned now, by Busby & Huchendorf.  Mr. N. died in 1852.  Mrs. Nye was 80 years  old at the time of her death, March 4, 1879.  Their daughter married Feb. 26, 1845, Mr. R. H. Patterson, a native of Knox Co., Ohio, born October 9, 1817, and came to Muscatine in 1836.  Mr. P. died Nov. 30, 1863, leaving a widow and five children.  He was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church for many years.  Mrs. P. is connected with the same church.  The family consists of the following, now living--Benjamin F., Laura B. (now Mrs. Campbell), Pina F. L., Robert S., and Charles E.; deceased--George A., Viola L. and Lemuel S.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PATTEN, J.S., of the firm of S. S. Patten & Co., wholesale and retail dealers in lumber; is a native of Columbus, Ohio; born Jan. 25, 1826; he lived there until 24 years of age, when he came to Iowa and located in Muscatine; arrived here April 1, 1850; he engaged in manufacturing sash, doors and blinds for six years, then went in the marble business for three years, and since then he has been engaged in the lumber business; he has held the
office of City Councilman, has been a member of the School Board for many years. He married Miss Sarah A. Neidig, a native of Harrisburg, Penn., May 5, 1853; they have three children--May V., Ellsworth C. and Milton H.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PAUSTAIN, CHARLES,  is known as a successful farmer of Hickory Grove township, his possessions comprising two hundred and forty acres of land all in one body, this place being called the Home Farm. It is also his birthplace, his natal day being September 6, 1865. His parents, Frederick and Christina (Roehs) Paustian, were natives of Holstein, Germany, the former born January 14, 1820, and the latter born on the 25th of August, 1825. They were reared in the old country and came to the new world in 1851. They were married soon after their arrival here and settled on a farm in Scott county, which the father bought. Prior to coming to America he had followed his trade of a mason but after locating in Scott county gave his time to general farming throughout his business career. His family numbered twelve children but two of the number died in childhood, the others being: Caroline, the wife of Martin Greenwald, of Cleona township; Fred, who resides in Minnesota; August, of Hickory Grove township; Emma, the wife of Christ Paustian, of Cleona township, Louis, who makes his home in Cedar county, Iowa, Sophia, the wife of William Buhmann, a resident of O'Brien county, Iowa; James, of Hickory Grove township, Charles, of this review; Minnie, the wife Herman Meinert, who resides in Cleona township; and Bertha, the wife of Henry Paulsen, a resident of Muscatine county, Iowa. The parents became well-to-do and highly respected pioneers of Scott county but both are now deceased. The father passed away on the 27th of January, 1885, when he had reached the age of sixty-five years, while the mother, surviving for about fifteen years, departed this life July 21, 1900m when she was seventy-five years of age.

Charles Paustian was reared under the parental roof, assisting his father in the work of the fields during the spring and summer seasons, while in the winter months he pursued his studies in the district schools near his home. He has made farming his life work and is now the owner of the old homestead farm, the tract embracing two hundred and forty acres, eighty acres of which lies on section 29, while the remainder is located on section 30, Hickory Grove township. On the place stands a substantial brick residence, which was erected by the father, while all the outbuildings have been built by Mr. Paustian of this review. Each year his labors are rewarded by bounteous harvests, for he is systematic in his methods of farming and knows what plan to follow to bring the best results.

Mr. Paustian was married in 1891 to Miss Lizzie Dietz, who was born in Cleona township, this county, September 20, 1868, a daughter of John Dietz, a resident of Cleona township. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Paustian have been born one son and eight daughters: Christina, Agnes, Horace, Elsie, Malinda, Evelyn, Elvira, Norma and Leona.

In the midst of a busy life on the farm Mr. Paustian finds time to give to other interest of a public nature, acting as a director of the Walcott Savings Bank and of the Farmers Elevator company of Walcott. In his political views he is a democrat but is not active as an office seeker. His fraternal relations are with the Knights of Pythias at Walcott. Mr. Paustian chose rather a significant name for his place-Home Farm-for while its surroundings are characteristic of all that the name implies, it has as well been the place of his abode from the date of his birth to the present time, and the associations of his early boyhood and youth as well as those of later manhood have made it to him a cherished spot.

History of Davenport and Scott County, Volume II; Downer, Harry E.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chicago IL 1910
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann of the Scott Co IAGenWeb Project-used by permission



PEARCE,  Aaron W.  is one of the well known citizens of Grove Township, having been a resident of Pottawattamie County since 1874.   He was born in Richland County, Ohio, September 22, 1840. His father, Dennis Pearce, also a native of Ohio, was a son of Aaron Pearce, who was of Irish extraction. In politics the Pearces have been Whigs and Republicans; in religion they have been associated with the Christian Church. Dennis Pearce wedded Mary Pollock, a native of Richland County, Ohio, by whom he had nine children, four sons and five daughters. Three of the daughters are deceased. Mrs. George Bolton and the subject of this sketch are the only ones living in Pottawattamie County. James H., a twin brother of Aaron, resides in Adair County, Iowa. In 1852 or 1853 the family removed from Ohio to Cedar County, Iowa, and, were early settlers in that section of the country. They had been there only a year when the father died, leaving his widow and children to battle for life in a new country. The mother afterward married Mr. H. C. Paxton, who died in 1870.

Aaron W. Pearce received his education in Richland County, Ohio, and in Cedar County, Iowa. During the late war, in answer to Lincoln's call for "300,000 more," he enlisted in September, 1861, in Company E, Eleventh Iowa Infantry. He enlisted under Colonel Abraham Hare, of Muscatine, who was some time afterward succeeded by Colonel William Hall, of Davenport. Mr. Pearce was a brave soldier, and with his regiment took an active part in many of the prominent engagements of the war. He was returned home on a veteran furlough, and after it expired he joined his regiment on the Tennessee River.  He was afterward with Sherman before Atlanta. July 22, 1864, he was made a prisoner and taken to Andersonville, marching a portion of the way and finishing the journey by rail, arriving at the prison early in August. A portion of the time Mr. Pearce was at Andersonville there were 30,000 prisoners there in a field of only thirty acres. About one hundred dead Soldiers were carried out of the stockade daily. Much has been said and written of the horrors of that prison, but the half has never been told, nor can it be realized by any save those who passed through the terrible ordeal of prison life. About the middle of September Mr. Pearce was moved from Andersonville to Charleston, South Carolina, remaining there a short time. He was taken to Florence, South Carolina, where he was held until February, when the near approach of Sherman's army made another move necessary, and, being placed on the cars, was started toward Wilmington, North Carolina, and on to Goldsboro, where with other prisoners he was paroled and returned toward Wilmington, passing, into the Union lines near that place February 26, 1865. Leaving Wilmington by steamer for Annapolis, Maryland, they went to Baltimore, where he shed his prison rags and put on the blue again. He soon left for St. Louis, but was unable to travel, and was placed in the hospital at Grafton, West Virginia, remaining there one month. Then he again returned home on a furlough, and rejoined his regiment the last day of the general review at Washington.

After the war he came back to Cedar County, where he resided for some time. In the spring of 1872 he removed to Polk County, Nebraska, and took up a soldier's claim of 160 acres. After remaining there sixteen months he came to this county and located in Grove Township. At that time he settled on section 33, near where he now lives. He afterward traded with Thomas Conner for his present farm. It is in section 28 and contains 108 acres, forty of which are in timber. It is well adapted for stock and grain purposes, and is well supplied with all necessary farm buildings. A good residence situated, on a natural building site, surrounded by shade and ornamental trees. makes a comfortable and attractive home.

September 11, 1866, Mr. Pearce married Agnes Bolton, a native of Cedar County, Iowa, and a daughter of William and Sarah (Southern) Bolton, natives of Virginia. Her grandfather, Henry Bolton, was a native of Virginia and a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Mrs. Pearce was reared and educated in Cedar County. They have seven children, namely: Merrill Edson, Myrtie C., Estella Kate, Dessie Irene, Ethel Grace, Laura Jane and Mary Ida. Miss Estella is a successful teacher in the schools of Pottawattamie County. Mr. and Mrs. Pearce lost one child by death, Eva L., at the age of three years.

In politics our subject is a Republican. For the last ten years he has served as Township Clerk. He has also served as a member of the School Board. He and his wife and three of their daughters are members of the Methodist Protestant Church.  Mr. Pearce is a man of integrity, and is highly respected by all who know him.

Source: The Biographical Record of Pottawattamie County, Iowa,  The Lewis Publishing Company 1891



PEASLEY, C.L.,  farmer, Sec. 12, Bloomington Tp.; was born in Clinton Co., N. Y., Aug. 3, 1830. In February, 1853, he married Miss M. L. Carpenter; they removed to Muscatine Co. in May of  the same year; have five children--Elbert D. C., Leslie W., Samuel C., Mary Effie, Alice M. Mr. Peasley and wife are members of the Society of Friends. Politically, he is a Republican; has held various local offices; has been member of the Board of Township Trustees, and Treasurer a number of terms; owns 200 acres of land, finely improved and well located.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois



PENTZER, Jacob, P. O. Wilton; his paternal ancestors were German as his name indicates, was born in Bedford Co., Penn., May 28, 1808, and resided among the mountains of Pennsylvania until 15 years old; hid father then moved into Fayette Co., west of the mountains, where he chiefly resided until 32 years of age; he commenced a course of studies in the spring of 1831, at Morgantown, Va., preparatory for the ministry; graduated at Jefferson College in the fall of 1837; studied theology at Allegheny Seminary, Pittsburgh; was licensed to preach by the old Red Stone Presbytery, in the spring of 1840; soon after, he emigrated to the Miami country in Ohio, settled in the village of Germantown, Montgomery Co., thirteen miles from Dayton; taught a high school a number of years and preached to two small congregations in that vicinity; in the spring of 1859, came to Wilton Junction, Iowa, his present residence; has been actively engaged in the work of the ministry until within three years past, since which he has been in a great measure disabled from the effects of rheumatism; is now on the list of the honorably retired ministers of the Presbyterian denomination and has no regular engagements for preaching; he is the father of seven living children, three of whom are married; he has been married twice; first wife was Emma Meek, of Pittsburgh; she died, leaving four young children, three of whom are dead.   Married for his second wife, Miss Martha Coon, daughter of Rev. John Coon, of Germantown, Ohio; by her he had seven children, six still alive; his living children are Emma, youngest daughter of the first wife, now Mrs. L. E. Ingham; Laura, now Mrs. Whitsett, of Carthage, Mo.; Jennie, now Mrs. J. Myers; John William, Jacob L., Hattie Kate and Frederic S.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois



PEPPER, Irvin St. Clair, a Representative from Iowa; born in Davis County, Iowa, June 10, 1876; attended the public schools; was graduated from Southern Iowa Normal School at Bloomfield in 1897; principal of the Atalissa High School and of the Washington School at Muscatine; secretary for Congressman Martin J. Wade of Iowa 1903-1905; graduated from the law department of George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1905; was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced practice in Muscatine, Iowa; prosecuting attorney of Muscatine County 1906-1910; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-second and Sixty-third Congresses and served from March 4, 1911, until his death in Clinton County, Iowa, December 22, 1913; interment in Shaul Cemetery, near Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa.

Source:Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774-1949  p.1668


PETTY, ASA, farmer, Sec. 16; P.O. Perry; born in Buffalo, New York, October 19, 1814; he was a sailor on the lakes for seven or eight years; he came to this State in 1844, and settled in Muscatine county, and came to this county in 1866; owns 165 acres of land; has held the office of town trustee; he enlisted in the Thirty-seventh Iowa Infantry in the late war, and served until the close; he married Susanna Lamb, in 1836; she was born in New York; has five children: Josiah, Rosilla, Libbie, Harriet J. and Chester.

Source: "History of Dallas County Iowa" published 1879  Des Moines IA .



PHELPS, J. P. artistic photographer, Second street, over Post Office; Mr. P. was born in this city, in 1848. In 1872, he married Miss Louisa Waller, of Natches, Miss.; they have two children--Florence P. and Effie L.; Mr. P. acts with the Democratic party; he has been engaged in his present business since 1862.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PICKLER, John Alfred, a Representative from South Dakota; born near Salem, Washington County, Ind., January 24, 1844; moved with his father to Davis County, Iowa; attended the district school; during the Civil War entered the Union Army and served in the Third Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; was mustered out as captain in that regiment; subsequently served six months as major in the One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; was graduated from the University of Iowa at Iowa City in 1870; attended the Chicago University Law School in 1871 and was graduated from the Ann Arbor (Mich.) Law School in 1872; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Kirksville, Mo.; elected district attorney of Adair County, Mo., in 1872; moved to Muscatine, Iowa, in 1874; presidential elector on the Republican ticket of Garfield and Arthur in 1880; member of the State legislature 1881-1883; moved to the Territory of Dakota in 1883; elected to the Dakota Legislature in 1884; upon the admission of South Dakota as a State into the Union was elected as a Republican to the Fifty-first and to the three succeeding Congresses and served from November 2, 1889, to March 3, 1897; was not a candidate for renomination in 1896; resumed the practice of his profession; also engaged in the real-estate business; died in Faulkton, Faulk County, S. Dak., on June 13, 1910; interment in Faulkton Cemetery.

Source: Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774-1949 p 1680


PICKLER, John Alfred, representative, was born near Salem, Ind., Jan. 24, 1844. He removed with his father to Davis county, Iowa, in 1853, and served in the Federal army, 1862-65, as captain in the 3d Iowa cavalry, and major of the 138th U.S. colored infantry. He was graduated  from the Iowa State university, Ph.B., 1870, and from the University of Michigan, LL.B., 1872.    He removed to Muscatine, Iowa, in 1874; was presidential elector on the Garfield ticket in 1880,  and a representative in the state legislature in 1881. He removed to Faulkton, Dakota Territory,  1883; was a representative in the territorial legislature, 1884, and inspector in the public land  service, 1889. He was a Republican representative at large from South Dakota in the 51st-54th congresses, 1889-97.

The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume IIV



PICKLER, JOHN A., soldier, lawyer, state legislator, congressman, was born Jan. 24, 1844, near  Salem, Ind. He removed to Muscatine, Iowa, in 1874; and was a Garfield elector, second district of Iowa, in 1880. He was elected to the Iowa legislature in 1881. He moved to Dakota in 1883, and was elected to the Dakota legislature in 1884, and appointed inspector in public-land service in interior department in 1889. He was elected to the fifty-first, fifty-second, and fifty-third congresses and  re-elected to the fifty-fourth congress as a republican.

Herringshaw's Encyclopedia of American Biography of the Nineteenth Century. page 742



PICKLER, Maj. J.A., attorney at law, of the firm of Hoffman, Pickler & Brown, was born in Washington Co., Ind., Jan 24, 1844; when 9 years of age, his parents came to Iowa and located in Davis Co., where he was brought up; after the breaking out of the rebellion, he enlisted in 1862, as a private in Co. D, 3d Regiment I.C.; he was promoted through all the non-commissions to Second Lieutenant, then to First Lieutenant, and afterwards commissioned Captain of Co. D; he was in a number of battles; was commissioned Major of the 138th Regiment U.S.C.T.; after his return from the service, he entered the State University and went through the collegiate course; then studied law, attended the law school in Chicago, and afterward entered the Law Department of the Michigan University, and graduated at that institution in 1872; he practiced law in Missouri for two years, and held the office of Prosecuting attorney in Adair Co.; in 1875, he came to Muscatine and associated with Mr. Hoffman, and since has practiced his profession here.  He married Miss Alice A. Alt, of Johnson Co., Iowa, in 1870; they have two children--Lulu A. and Madge E.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PICKLERR. M. County Attorney, came to Smith Centre winter of 1870, and opened a law office. Elected to his present office, fall of 1882. He was born in Davis County, Iowa, Feb. 23, 1856. Lived in that county until 1867, when parents, with family, moved to Kirksville, Mo., where he was educated. Began the study of law in 1876. He was editor of the Milan Republican, of Milan, Mo., three years, and studied law at the same time. He was a student in the law office of Hoffman, Pickler & Brown, of Muscatine, Iowa, some time. Was admitted to the bar of practice in spring of 1879, at the latter city, and began the practice of law there. He soon opened a law office at Milan, Mo., and practiced a few months, when he emigrated to Kansas. He is a member of  Western Star Lodge, No., 174, A., F. & A. M.

Source: William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, Smith Centre, Smith Co. 



PIERSON, G. W.  farmer, P. O. Unadilla, Neb., was born in Sussex County N. Y., September 1, 1843, and removed from there to Muscatine County, Iowa, in 1848 where he lived until the breaking out of the Rebellion of 1861 when he enlisted in Company A, Seventh Iowa Infantry and served as a soldier during the war when he returned to his home in Muscatine County, Iowa. Was married in the fall of 1866 to Louisa, daughter of Alfred Purcell. Moved to Washington County, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming until the spring of 1872, when he moved to Otoe County, Neb., and bought the southwest quarter of Section 29, Town 8, Range 10, where he has since been engaged in farming and manufacturing sorghum molasses. He    has been Moderator on the School Board since 1873, was Road Supervisor in 1875 and 1876, is an active member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. and also A., F. & A. M., all the above lodges held at Palmyra. Mr. and Mrs. P. have one son and three daughters.

Source: The History of the State of Nebraska, 1882, Western Historical Company, A. T.
Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL.; Otoe County, Town of Unadilla



PIGMAN, JOHN J., far., Sec. 6; P.O. Melpine; was born in Muscatine Co., Iowa, Jan 14, 1844, and has since resided in the county, improving the farm on which he resides, consisting of 240 acres.  Mr. P. married Miss Belle Gadd, a native of Scott Co., Iowa; they were married in 1874, and have two children --William H. and Joseph H.  Mr. P. is a stanch Republican, also a member of the A.F.& A.M., and the A.O.U.W.
His parents are natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland; settled in Ohio shortly after their marriage, remained there until 1838, then removed to Iowa, settling near Davenport; his father was the first Whig elected in Muscatine Co., to the State Legislature; served one term, and was re-elected in 1854; he also held the office of County Surveyor for many years, until his death in 1874, at 72 years of age; his mother is still living.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PINE, JOSEPH W.  farmer, Section 4, P. O. Humboldt, was born in Frederick County, Va., in 1830. He learned the trade of blacksmith in Berkley County, and worked at it there until 1858, when he moved to Muscatine County, Iowa, where for ten years he carried on a blacksmith shop. In May, 1866, he came to Allen County, Kan., and located on his present farm. He has a finely improved place consisting of some 400 acres, on which there are good stone fences, fine orchards and residence. He also to some extent follows blacksmithing in connection with agricultural pursuits, and is a large raiser of cattle and hogs. Mr. Pine is one of the representative men of his township; he is a staunch Democrat and is President of the Old Settlers Association of his township.

Source: William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, Allen Co.



PIPPERT, HENRY J. Sheriff, was born in Cassel, Germany, in June, 1850.  His father and family emigrated to America in 1855, locating for a time in Muscatine, Iowa, and in 1867 removing to Willow Springs, Kan., where the elder Mr. Pippert now resides. The subject of this sketch located at Lawrence,  where he worked at his trade of harness-making, until 1871, when he came to Alma, and opened a large saddlery and harness-making establishment, upon Missouri street. Mr. Pippert carries several thousand dollars worth of stock and has several competent workmen constantly employed in the manufacture of harness. Besides his store and residence, Mr. Pippert owns other real estate (chiefly building lots) in town. November 12, 1874, he married Caroline, eldest daughter of John P. Gleich, Esq., of Alma, by whom he has had four  children, only one of whom, Helen Mary, born December 4, 1880, now remains to him. Mr. Pippert has been Councilman for several years, was elected Mayor of Alma in April, 1880, and in 1881 was elected Sheriff of Wabaunsee County, in which position he has made a very efficient officer, proving quite a "terror" to evil-doers.

Source: William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas, Wabaunsee Co.



PLETT, AUGUST
August Plett, who figured prominently in business circles in Blue Grass as the manager of the Blue Grass Repair and Implement Company, one of the leading industries of the locality, is numbered among Scott county's native sons, his birth occurring in Buffalo township on the 2nd of August, 1868.  His father, H. F. Plett, was born in Germany in 1812, and at the age of thirty eight years came to America, locating in Scott county, Iowa.  Here he engaged in farming for a number of years, and in 1866 went to Buffalo township, where he operated a farm for about six years in the capacity of renter.  At the expiration of that period he moved to Muscatine county, where he remained for five years and then returned to this county.  Six years later he settled permanently in Muscatine county and there followed the occupation of farming until eleven years before his demise, his remaining days being passed in well earned retirement.  Aside form the subject of this review, his family consisted of the following children: Lizzie, who resides with her brothers, George and Frank, in Muscatine county; Henry, the postmaster of Blue Grass; Louis who follows blacksmithing in Blue Grass; William and John, agriculturists of Blue Grass township; and Herman and Charles, both farmers of Muscatine county.

Reared under the parental roof, August Plett acquired his education in the district schools near his father's home, and when not busily engaged with his text-books assisted in the work of the fields, early becoming familiar with the best methods of tilling the soil. After completing his education he remained at home for several years, carrying on agricultural pursuits in connection with his father, and later learned and followed the carpenter's trade for about nine years. He arrived in Blue Grass in the spring of 1898, and has continued to make his home here to the present time. In 1907 the Blue Grass Repair & Implement Company was organized as a stock company, being incorporated for eight thousand dollars, with a paid-up capital of forty-five hundred dollars. They deal in all kinds of farming implements and carry on a general repair business, their trade, which has already reached ample proportions, continually increasing in extent and importance. From its inception Mr. Plett has been its manager, his excellent business ability, his close application and is wise discrimination being potent elements in making this one of the important industrial concerns of the county.

 Mr. Plett holds membership in Hillside Camp, M. W. A., of Blue Grass, while his political views are in accord with the principles of the republican party. Although he has never sought nor desired public office, yet he is public-spirited in his citizenship, his influence ever being on the side of progress, advancement and improvement. As a business man he is honored among his fellow citizens, who are familiar with his record from early boyhood days, and the fact that his staunchest friends are numbered among his oldest acquaintances is an indication of the commendable policy and upright course which he has always followed. Throughout his connection with the industrial world he has never incurred obligations that he has not met nor made engagements that he has not filled, so that his name has become known in the business circles of Blue Grass as a synonym for business integrity.

Source: History of Davenport and Scott County, Volume II; Downer, Harry E.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chicago IL 1910
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann of the Scott Co IAGenWeb Project-used by permission



PRATT, Nelson C.  has been actively connected with the Omaha bar for more than thirty years, during which period he has gained a substantial reputation as a close student of the law and as a painstaking, able and strictly reliable lawyer. He enters into the preparation of cases with a thoroughness and a breadth of view which have generally proved assurances of success in the court  room, whether the campaign is one of offense or defense.

Mr. Pratt was born on a farm at Belleville, West Virginia, July 24, 1862, and is a son of George O. and Sallie (Nesmith) Pratt. The Pratt family is of English origin, but has been located in America for a number of generations, the first of the family settling in Connecticut. The paternal grandfather of Nelson C. Pratt, George Pratt, was an only son, and he had but one son, George O. George O. Pratt was born in 1829, in Ohio, whence he went to West Virginia, and in 1871 to Illinois, where he engaged in agricultural operations during the remainder of his life and died at Walnut, that state, in December, 1906. During the period of the Civil war he was collector of internal revenue. In 1857 Mr. Pratt married Miss Sallie Nesmith, daughter of Thomas Nesmith, the latter of whom lived to the advanced age of ninety-six years. She was born at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in March, 1831, of a family of Scotch-Irish descent, and a great-granddaughter of a soldier of the American Revolution. She died at Walnut, Illinois, in March, 1900. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Pratt: Martha, the widow of Irvin Stone, of Hackensack, New Jersey; George T., of Vallisca, Iowa; Nelson C., of this review; Charles G., of West Liberty, Iowa, who died March 18, 1925, Sara, who is single and resides at Evanston, Illinois; Elizabeth, who is private secretary to the head of the Women's Christian Temperance Union and lives with her sister Sara at Evanston; and Rev. Francis Marion, a minister of the Methodist Church, who died at Waterford, Wisconsin. in 1911.

Nelson C. Pratt was eight years of age when his parents removed to Walnut, Illinois, and there passed through the graded schools. In 1888 he graduated Bachelor of Arts from the Northern Illinois College at Fulton, Illinois, and then located at Genoa, Nebraska, where for two years he was principal of the Genoa schools. In the meanwhile, while attending college, he had spent his spare time in studying law, and this he continued while at Genoa. with the result that in July, 1889, he was able to pass an examination and was admitted to the Nebraska bar. He began practice at Albion, where he remained for over five years, but in 1895 settled at Omaha, where he has since continued in a steadily-growing practice. He is one of the leading and reliable members of his profession, and has a large and  important clientele, maintaining offices in the Omahs National Bank Building. He holds membership in the various organizations of his profession and is a Republican, although not active in political affairs.

His religious faith is that of the Methodist Church, and he belongs to the Official Board. Mr. Pratt is a  Mason and an active member of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce.

On December 26, 1888, Mr. Pratt was united in marriage with Miss Sadie Henderson, of Fullerton, Nebraska, who was born in New Jersey, November 16, 1867, of an old Scotch-American family of Revolutionary stock. Prior to her marriage Mrs, Pratt, a woman of marked intellect, taught in the public schools. Mr. and Mrs. Pratt have one daughter: Minnie, the wife of Albert A. Held, of Omaha, with two children, Sidney Nelson, born May 13, 1920; and Carolyn Marcia, born November 7, 1922.

Source:  Nebraska: the Land and the People: Volume 2    page 86



PRESTON , CHARLES N.  P. O. Villisca; born in Steuben County, New York, April 16, 1836, and was educated in the graded schools of that city; he removed to Muscatine County, Iowa, in 1858, and went into business at Atalissa, and continued in business there until the breaking out of the war; enlisted in the army in August, 1862 for three years; was at Vicksburg on the famous 22d of July, was detailed on special duty and so remained during the war; was mustered out at Muscatine on the second of August, 1865, and returned to his old home and resumed business. In 1870 he removed to Grinnell, Iowa, and went into business, and in 1871 came to Villisca, being one of the first merchants of the town, and to-day ranks as one of the most energetic business men of th eplace. He is one of the charter members, and first master of the lodge of A. O. U. W., and is present secretary and past master of the masonic lodge; he is also a member of the Presbyterian church.  He was married to his present wife, Flora Robshaw, at Muscatine in 1869; by a former marriage has three children: George W.,aged twenty-one years; Willie and Willard, twins, aged nineteen, born on Washington's birthday; by his present wife has two children: Vida C., aged eight; the other, "baby," born in 1881.

Source:  History of Montgomery County, Iowa; 1881



PRETTYMANJOHN  the son of Richard and Julia A. (Hupp) Prettyman, was born June 6, 1848, in Noble county, Ohio. He came with his parents, in December, 1853, to Clinton county, Iowa, where his father engaged in farming. In the spring of 1866 he moved to Carroll county, in this state, and from there came to Orange township [Guthrie county], in May, 1873, settling on section 8. He was married December 23, 1878, to Miss Emma A. Coryell, daughter of Peter D. and Sara J. (Coriell) Coryell. Mrs. Prettyman was born October 22, 1857, in Muscatine county, Iowa, and with her parents came to Carroll county in May, 1869, where she was married. They have two children--Author D. and Charles Q.
Mr. Prettyman owns eighty acres on section 9, which is under cultivation. He deals in cattle and is a general farmer. During 1883 he was school director. In 1874 he spent some time in San Franciso, California, and Coos Bay, Oregon, returning to Iowa in the fall of '74. In 1879 he visited Colorado.

Source: History of Guthrie and Adair Counties, Iowa, Springfield, Ill: Continental Historical Co., 1884.



PRIESTER, B., proprietor of general repair and horse--shoeing shop, South Muscatine; Mr. Priester is a native of Holland; was born in 1836; emigrated to Buffalo, N. Y., in 1869; came to Muscatine in 1870. In 1875, married Miss Minnie Mager; she was also a native of Holland; have five children--Josephine, George, John, Nicholas and Katie. Mr. Priester and wife are members of the Protestant Church; he is a Republican in politics. He is fair-dealing and straightforward in all his transactions and all who favor him with their patronage will be  satisfied.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PUGH, ROBERT WOOD, born August 29, 1858, near Muscatine, Iowa. His father, Jonathan G. Pugh, was born at Mansfield, Ohio, January 12, 1825, and served as a soldier in the war with Mexico, and in 1849, with his brother, Dr. J. W. Pugh, went to California, where they were quite successful and after a few months returned with a good supply of gold dust. The next season the two returned by team on the overland route to California. J. W. settled there and became a prominent and influential man in the community. He was elected to the legislature of that state and chosen speaker of the house. Jonathan G. returned to Ohio and in 1854 he made a trip to Iowa and entered a large tract of government land in Poweshiek and Mahaska counties and later removed to Iowa. November 25, 1857, he was married at Muscatine, Iowa, to Miss Harriet V. Baker, who was a school teacher, and the daughter of Isaac and Clarinda Baker, of Bainbridge, Ohio. They settled on a farm near Muscatine, Iowa, and Mr. Pugh  became largely engaged in the stock business.

Robert Wood is their oldest son. His education began at home under his mother's instruction and was later continued in the country schools. His success in life has been largely due to the excellent instruction, advice, and care she bestowed upon him in boyhood. In 1876 the family removed to their farm near Deep River, in Poweshiek county. R. W. soon afterward attended a normal institute and secured a certificate to teach. After teaching a few terms he took a course of instruction at the Southern Iowa normal, at Bloomfield. For several years he worked on the farm in summer and taught school in the winter. In the years 1880 and 1881 he taught school in Kansas.

Returning to Iowa, he continued teaching. In 1882 he went to school at the Iowa City academy and afterwards returned to teaching. He was a close student and an excellent teacher. In 1885 he was professor of penmanship    and bookkeeping in the Iowa City academy for two terms. In 1884 he decided to study law, and,  procuring some books, gave his leisure hours to reading law. In September, 1885, he entered the law department of the State university and graduated in June, 1886, with the degree of LL. B. In 1886 he entered upon the practice of his profession at Williamsburg, Iowa, where he has remained to the present time.

He has served as mayor of the town, secretary of the school board, and trustee of the First Presbyterian church.
In 1896 he served as one of the committee appointed by the supreme court to examine the students of  the class of 1896 at the State University of Iowa for admission to the bar.

He was married at Williamsburg, Iowa, December 24, 1888, to Miss Mary H. Long, a school teacher,  and a daughter of James and Catharine T. Long. They have four children, Helen, Robert E., John and  Mary L. The Longs were early settlers of Iowa county, and came from Columbus, Ohio.  Mr. Pugh is an able lawyer, has a large practice, and a wide reputation as a commercial lawyer. He is a member of the Iowa State Bar association, which he helped to organize. He is also a member of the Commercial Law League of America. He is an active republican and a good campaign speaker. In the campaign of 1896 he was a member of the county central committee and in the fall of 1898 was elected county attorney of Iowa county. Mr. Pugh is a genial man, always ready to accommodate a friend, and modest and unassuming in his manners.

Source:  Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa. Gue, B.F. Des Moines:
Conaway & Shaw Publishers, 1899.   page 241



PULLMAN, GEORGE  The value of character was demonstrated in the life of the late George Pullman, of Ingraham township, Mills county, Iowa, who left to his descendants a priceless legacy in good name. Mr. Pullman was born in the province of Darmstadt, Germany, November 24, 1834, and died September 6, 1898, aged sixty-four years, ten months and twenty three days. He was educted in his native city and at the age of eighteen came to America and joined his two sisters who had previously located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and who took a special interest in him because he was the youngest of six children and the only son in their family. He learned wagon and carriage making in Philadelphia, and worked at that trade until 1856. He went from Philadelphia to Chicago and from Chicago to Muscatine, Iowa, where he wa married, January 4, 1856, to Elizabeth Hettinger, a native of Darmstadt, Germany, born October 3, 1838, and a daughter of George and Margaret (Buck) Hettinger, who made the voyage from Germany to the United States in a sailing vessel in 1848, the passage consuming thirty-six days.

After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Pullman began life as tenant farmers at Muscatine. Fourteen years later, on September 1, 1870 they set out for Ingraham township, Mills county, Iowa, by wagon, driving through in thirteen days and arriving September 13th. They settled on one hundred and sixty acres of new prairie land for which Mr. Pullman paid ten dollars an acre and which is now worth sixty-five dollars an acre. Later, from time to time, he bought other land until he owned six hundred acres, most of it in one body, and for one eighty acre tract he paid twenty-nine dollars an acre. He gave attention to general farming, but made a specialty of raising hogs and cattle, feeding his own crops largely, except wheat and barley, of which he raised good quantities and for which he received the highest market price. The Pullman farm is one of the best and most productive in the county. The present residence of the family was built in 1892 and the barns, granaries and other out-buildings were erected earlier, according to necessity and opportunity.

Mrs. Pullman is one of a family of ten children, of whom seven grew to manhood and womanhood and of whom Mrs. Pullman and four of her brothers are living. John Hettinger is a salesman at Silver City, Iowa. Another brother is a hotel-keeper at Silver City, Iowa, and the eldest is a farmer at Humboldt, Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Pullman had fourteen children, who were born at the dates mentioned: George Pullman, at Muscatine, April 1857; William, 1858; Margaret, who was born in 1860 and married Frank Plummer; Sophia, who was born in 1861 and married William Mosley; Mary born in 1862; Philip, in 1864; John, who was born in 1866 and lives at Silver City, Iowa; Henry A., born in 1868; Charles, in 1871; Edward, in 1872; Lizzie, who was born in 1874 and is the wife of Davis Greenwood, of Silver City, Iowa; Frank, born in 1876; Albert, in 1878; and James, in 1880.
Eight grandsons and eight grandaughters of Mr. and Mrs. Pullman are living. The family are members of the Lutheran church, of which Mr. Pullman was a liberal supporter, and was interested also in public education and served his fellow townsmen as school director and was many times elected trustee of his township on the Democratic ticket.
All of his children received a good common school education and three of his sons were graduated from the Gem City Business College, at Quincy, Illinois.

Source: History of Fremont & Mills Co IA 1901



PURCELL, Mrs. Elizabeth D , nee Parvin, far., Sec. 9; P. O. Muscatine; was born in Hamilton Co., Ohio, near Cincinnati, in 1839; came to Indiana with her parents while very young, and located in Dearborn Co.; in 1839, her parents removed to  Muscatine Co., Iowa, and located at Bloomington (now Muscatine). In 1840, she married Alfred Purcell, a native of Kentucky, born near Maysville in 1804; Mr. P. came to Iowa the same year that they were married, and died Dec. 16, 1878; they have had nine children, eight still living---Melinda (now Mrs. Adkins), Louisa (now Mrs. Pierson), Lydia (now Mrs. Middleton), Charles, James, Rhoda, Alfred Oliver and Lizzie. Mr. P. was a plasterer by trade, which he followed for some years in Muscatine. Mr. P. was formerly a Whig, afterward a Republican.  In 1854, they moved on the farm on which they now reside, of 104 acres, which they improved.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois



PURVIS, Isaac J., farmer, Sec. 21; P.O. West Liberty; was born in New York in 1830; removed with his parents to Ohio when about 2 years old; remained there until 1852, then removed to Iowa, locating in Muscatine Co.  Married in 1854, Miss Mary Wright, at West Liberty; she is a native of Ohio; they have seven children--Charles, Amanda, Linna, Nellie, Mabel, Lorena and Mattie.  Mr. P. is a brick-maker by trade, which he followed for some years; is now a farmer.  Is a stanch Republican.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879



PYEATT, J. A., machinist and steamboat engineer, Nichols; born Sept. 6, 1822, in St. Louis; in 1836, commenced learning the blacksmith, machinist and engineer's trade at Gaty's Foundry in St. Louis; in 1842, engaged as engineer on the steamer Bowling Green, under Capt. John J. Rowe; the following spring of 1843, she ran on a rock at the mouth of Osage River and sunk; crew all got off safely, soon after, went on the Pearl, running on the Illinois River, since which time, he has run on the Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio and all their navigable tributaries except Red River; most of the time on the Missouri River; was on the steamer Columbus in 1850, as engineer, when she collapsed her flues and blew out, killing and wounding about twenty persons; in 1857-58, followed farming near St. Louis,  then went down to De Soto, Mo., on the Iron Mountain Railroad, where he worked at blacksmithing, and commenced building a steam grist-mill, but, on account of war, had to suspend; in 1862, engaged in the employ of Captain Eads in building gunboats at Carondelet; in 1864, again went on the river as engineer; in 1868, came to Muscatine on the ferry-boat Northern Illinois, which he ran for seven years, and the Ida May one year;  since then, ran on the Diamond Jo most of two seasons. Married Miss Pina W. Lendrum, of Grayson Co., Ky., Nov. 27, 1847; she was born Sept. 22, 1823, in Madison County, Ky.;  have an adopted son--Oliver Reynolds Pyeatt, a son of his wife's sister, whose mother died when he was about a year old.  Mr. P. is the only one left of three or four engineers on the river who commenced when he did; he now owns a residence in               Muscatine, valued at $2,000; is at present in company with his  brother-in-law, J. W. Lendrum, running the St. Nichols Hotel.  Member of M. E. Church.

Source: The History of Muscatine County Iowa Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, & etc.
              Western Historical Company, Chicago Illinois  1879, Pike Twp


Q
QUINN, Louis, retired; born in Hamilton Co., Ohio, Feb. 2, 1832; lived in Ohio until 11 years of age, then came with his parents and four brothers, by wagon, to Iowa; located at Muscatine in 1843, while the State was a territroy; lived in Muscatine twelve years; went to Washington, in Washingon Co., in 1855, and engaged in mercantile business for ten years, and was in business at Boonesboro two years; came to Vinton in 1867, and engaged in the grocery, provision and crockery trade, and did a large business; sold out his stock and business on account of his health, in November, 1877; he owns the store and property and other city property; is also stockholder and Director in the Farmers' Loan and Trust Company's Bank, and also loans money. Is a member of the School Board. Married Mary  L. Harris, from this State, in 1861; they have five children-Charlie D., Kate, Birdie, George and  Jessie.

Source: The History of Benton County Iowa, 1878, Western Historical Company, Chicago, IL


Muscatine Iowa Genealogy Home Page Table of Contents