Biographical History of Montgomery and Adams Counties, Iowa.
Unless otherwise noted, the following biographies were submitted by Dick Barton.
John J. Kane, a farmer and stock-raiser of section 31, Mercer township, has been identified with the interests of Adams county since 1871. He is a native of New York, born January 27, 1833, the eldest of seven sons and two daughters of Allen and Mary (Stockman) Kane, natives of Belfast, county Antrim, Ireland. The parents were married on Wednesday, and the following Saturday sailed for America, in 1832, locating in Albany, New York, where the father followed the trade of nail-making. He resided there until 1839, when he removed to Philadelphia; in 1846 to Cincinnati, Ohio; and in 1849 to California leaving Cincinnati on the 1st of April, and arriving where Sacramento now stands the 20th of September. He located in what was known as Hangtown, on the American river, where he followed mining successfully until the fall of 1851, when he returned to Ohio, via the Isthmus of Panama and New York. In the spring of 1852 he removed with his family to Iowa and settled on a farm near Dubuque, where he resided until his death, which occurred September 21, 1887, at the age of seventy-nine years. His widow still resides on the old homestead, in the eighty-second year of her age.
Our subject's youth was spent in attending school and working on a farm until twenty-three years of age. In the spring of 1856 he went to California, landing in San Francisco in the midst of the vigilance excitement, and engaged in mining on the Feather river near Oroville for a few months; then went to the northern part of the State, near the Oregon line, where he followed mining successfully until 1859, when he returned to Iowa and engaged in farming in Dubuque county.
He was married, November 26, 1861, to Miss Mary Sullivan, who was born near the city of Cork, Ireland, the daughter of Richard and Honoria (Driscoll) Sullivan, who died when Mrs. Kane was an infant. She was brought to America by an uncle, who settled in Philadelphia, where she was reared until eleven years of age. She then came with her uncle's family to Dubuque county, Iowa, where she grew to womanhood. In the fall of 1870, Mr. Kane came to Adams county and purchased 320 acres of land, on which he built a house and the following spring brought his family. By hard work and close attention to his pursuits, he has now one of the finest farms in Mercer township.
Mr. and Mrs. Kane are the parents of eight children, five of whom are are still living: Allen, Richard, John, Edward, Joseph and Ellen. Three died in chidhood. Mr. Kane was bereaved by the loss of his wife by death, July 3, 1888. He has served on the county Board of Supervisors, in all the township offices, and now holds the position of township treasurer. He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church. In politics Mr. Kane is a Democrat. He is a self-made man, and by his own industry has accumulated a large property, which he uses to the best advantage in surrounding himself and family with all the necessary comforts of life, giving his children the advantages of obtaining a good and practical education. By his many years of honest and upright dealings he has won the confidence and esteem of all who know him.
R. C. Kane, a farmer and stock-raiser of section 22, Mercer township, has been identified with the interests of Adams county since 1877. He is a native of Pennsylvania, born at Philadelphia in May, 1842, and is the third son of Allen and Mary Kane. At the age of ten years he came with his father's family to Dubuque, Iowa. His youth was spent in assisting on the farm and attending school, receiving a common-school education. In 1864 he, in company with about 100 others and twenty or thirty teams, crossed the plains to Montana. At his early date there was no trail, and the services of a guide were employed. They were four months in crossing the plains, arriving at Virginia City. Forth miles west of the Missouri they saw the last house prior to reaching their destination. During the journey quite a number of the party were slain by hostile Indians. After arriving at Virginia City, which was then a mining camp, Mr. Kane engaged in mining, continuing in this business for six years. The guide on this journey was the celebrated frontiersman, Bridges, and on the way they located Bozeman City. Mr. Kane may well be classed as a pioneer of Montana. The trip back was uneventful, as railroads and many other marks of civilization had taken the place of the dangers and hardships they had encountered on their trip west.
He returned to his former home in Dubuque county, and was there married July 1, 1874, to Mary Ann Daly, a native of Iowa, born in Dubuque county, a daughter of Dennis and Ellen (Moriarty) Daly. The former was a native of County Cork, Ireland, and the latter of New York. Mr. Daly came to America in 1832; was married in New York, and came to Iowa in 1850. Mr. and Mrs. Kane are the parents of six children: Maggie, Allen, Robert, Alice, Bertha and Dora. The family are members of the Catholic Church.
Mr. Kane settled in Adams county and purchased 240 acres of wild land, which he at once began the task of improving. Politically he is a staunch supporter of the Democratic party. Mr. Kane is a self-made man, and by his own industry and exertions has accumulated a good property, which he uses to the best advantage in providing himself and family with all the necessaries and comforts of life.
Ed. Kennedy, following agriculture on section 28, Nodaway township, is an intelligent, faithful citizen who has been living here ever since 1865, after serving in the war. He was born in county Roscommon, Ireland, November 9, 1844, the son of Ed. and Ellen (Campbell) Kennedy, natives of the same county. The father died when the son was but five or six years old, leaving the latter and the mother alone in the world. They afterward came to America, settling at Racine, Wisconsin.
The gentleman whose name introduces this sketch grew up to manhood in Racine and in Waushara county, Wisconsin, on a farm. Those were pioneer times, when Pottawattamie Indians were still numerous there.
Under President Lincoln's call for "300,000 more" he enlisted in Company B, Thirty-second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Most of the time his regiment was on detached duty at Memphis. It was at length ordered to the front, where he served over nine months. Mr. Kennedy was then honorably discharged.
He followed farming until 1865, when he came to Adams county, purchased eighty acres of wild land, on section 20, Nodaway township, which he improved and made his home for a few years, and then purchased where he now lives. He has a fine house, 20 x 24 feet, a story and a half high, with an L 14 x 24, one story high. The location is on a natural building site. The barn is 44 x 52 feet. Other outbuildings and conveniences show the taste and good judgment of the proprietor. On the farm, which now contains 190 acres, there is also a good tenant house. Mr. Kennedy is a successful farmer. In politics he is a Republican, and he is a member of William Lundy Post, No. 271, G. A. R., at Villisca.
He was married, April 13, 1870, to Miss Sarah Shipley. She was born in Morgan county, Ohio, the daughter of David and Mary (Bean) Shipley, who had one son and three daughters. Mr. Shipley died July 27, 1888, and Mrs. Shipley, July 9, 1872. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy are: Lawrence, Charles, Edna, Frank, Edward, William, Fred, Philip, Harrison and an infant daughter not yet named.
Michael M. Kennedy, a trusted and valued employe of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, at Corning, was born in county Tipperary, Ireland, in April, 1832, the son of Patrick and Jane (Ryan) Kennedy, natives of that country and farmers who spent their lives there. Of their four children, the two daughters remained in the old country, while the two sons came to America, one of whom is a resident of Farmer City. In 1856 Michael sailed from Liverpool on the ship Compromise, Captain Childs, and in due season landed at New York. After spending five years in Connecticut he came to Illinois, in May, 1862, and in May, 1870, he came to Omaha and shortly to Corning, where he took charge of a section of railroad four miles long, besides one a half miles of side-track. His long service here for such a company as the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, is sufficient evidence of his faithfulness. As a citizen he is esteemed as quiet and law-abiding, yet having the courage of his convictions. He has acquired a small piece of land and erected for himself a cosy residence. Politically he is a staunch Democrat, and he and his wife are faithful members of the Catholic Church.
He was married in April, 1862, in Fairfield, Connecticut, to Miss Susan Connors, a native of county Tipperary, Ireland, and they have five children, as follows: Mary, who died at the age of eighteen months; John, the eldest son, born in July, 1865; Ellen, in 1866; Michael, in 1867; and Katie, in November, 1871.
Frederick Kennon, an enterprising young hardware merchant of Corning, was born in Clinton county, New York, in 1857, a son of Albert G. and Elizabeth (Garrett) Kennon, natives also of that State. The father, a farmer, came to Iowa in 1872, settling in Nodaway township, Adams county. His wife died in 1887, and this year (1891) he retired to a neat little farm in the suburbs of Corning. He has two children living - the daughter, Clara, is now Mrs. Worley, a widow.
Mr. Kennon, whose name heads this sketch, was brought up on a farm. At the age of twenty-three he took a brief course in the Indiana Normal University, then learned telegraphy, and was an operator in the employ of the Pittsburg & Ft. Wayne Railroad Company for a time, and then in that of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company, at Pacific Junction, and finally at Corning. In 1890 he established himself at his present business as hardware merchant at Corning. In this line he carries a complete stock. His industry, integrity and shrewd judgment are bringing him to the front. He is a member of the Masonic order and of King Arthur Lodge, K. of P. He was married in 1887, to Edith La Rue, sister of Frank La Rue, the cashier of the Corning Savings Bank. The two children are Edith and Fred.
Kent, an enterprising farmer of section 7, Prescott township (post-office
Corning), was born in Putnam county, Indiana, April 20, 1845, the son of Moses
and Dolly (Miller) Kent, natives of Vermont. The parents were married in New
York State, near Buffalo, and afterward moved to Putnam county, Indiana. In 1856
the Kent family moved to Poweshiek county, Iowa, where the mother died in 1868
and the father in 1881. He was a farmer all his life. Politically he was a
Hiram Kent resided with his parents until 1882, when he purchased wild prairie
land in Adams county, and he is rapidly improving it, having already one of the
best farms in the neighborhood; it embraces 111 acres. The appurtenances -
residence, yard, grove, barn, wells, - are sufficient in number and in good
order. The house is 14 x 24 feet in dimensions, with an L 14 x 16 feet, - both
parts being a story and a half high. In respect to national issues Mr. Kent is a
Republican. He is a genial gentleman.
He was married in June, 1863, to Elizabeth Viretta Erip, a worthy partner for life. She was born in Missouri, a daughter of William Erip, a native of Maryland. Her mother's maiden name was Martha Arbuckle, and she died during the childhood of Mrs. Kent. Mrs. Kent was reared in Poweshiek county, Iowa. Her father lives at Marengo, Iowa, being now eighty-one years old. Mr. and Mrs. Kent have three children, namely: Clara Florence, wife of John D. Bagenstos of Poweshiek county; Mary Ann, who married Ellsworth James, and is now living in Prescott township; and Benjamin, at home. Three children died, viz.: Laura Isabelle, at the age of five and a half months; Cornelius Allen, when thirteen and a half months old; and Clinton Oscar, who died at the age of two years and four months.
George W. Kindred, one of the leading farmers of Washington townchip, residing on section 29 (postoffice Eureka), was born in Cumberland county, Tennessee, January 15, 1845, the son of J. H. and Susan J. Kindred, both natives of Tennessee. He began in life for himself at the age of twenty-one years, when he came with his parents to Montgomery county, Iowa, remaining there from June until November, 1865, when they came and settled in Washington township, this county, on a farm which has ever since been his home. He is numbered among the responsible, worthy and progressive farmers of his township. He owns about 225 acres of land, of which ten acres are in timber and the rest well improved. The farm is well located, about a mile and a half from Eureka and some nine miles from the county seat. It is a fertile farm, whereon the proprietor devotes his attention to stock-raising as well as general agriculture. There is also a very good orchard on the place. The dwelling, which is commodious, is located on a half-section line road a quarter of a mile from the Eureka coal mines. He is a School Director.
He was married December 15, 1867, to Miss Sarah E. Mansfield, daughter of the late James and Susanna Mansfield, of Grant county, Indiana. By this marriage there are eight children, viz.: Grant, who is now reading law in the office of H. t. Grangers in Corning, Iowa; Canus, who is farming in his own interests the present year; Austin, Essie I., Vernie, Archie, Walter and Avis. Mrs. Kindred is a member of the Dunkard Church, while in politics Mr. Kindred is an ardent Republican. He is a valued citizen and one of the most substantial business men of this township.
John H. Kindred, deceased, formerly a resident on section 33, Washington township, was born in Cumberland county Tennessee, February 12, 1821, the son of Thornton and Hannah (Minnick) Kindred, natives also of Tennessee. His father, a farmer, was a private soldier in the war of 1812. His mother died about 1878, a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Four of their ten children are still living.
Mr. Kindred, whose name heads this sketch, began for himself on a farm in Tennessee, and later added stock-raising. August 12, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, First Tennessee Infantry, and served three years and two months, taking part in a number of battles. He was discharged in September, 1864. A portion of the year 1863 he spent in a hospital at Kingston, Tennessee, on account of a wound. Because of the hostility of his State to the Union cause, he left there with his wife and eight children and came to Montgomery county, Iowa, arriving June 9, 1865; but November 13, following, he came to Adams county, rented a farm on section 7, Washington township, for four years, and then bought a farm of eighty acres on section 33, where he now resides. He afterward added eighty acres more. The residence if located a mile from Eureka. The house is 14 x 16 feet. There are two orchards of large and small fruit; and the farm is well adapted to all the farm crops of this region. The surroundings indicate a comfortable and happy home.
Mr. Kindred held the office of Justice of the Peace in Tennessee for twelve years; was School Director in his township and an important factor in educational affairs, - and in fact in all the enterprises that have promised good to his community. He died June 15, 1884.
He was married February 11, 1842, to Miss Susan Taylor, a daughter of James and Permelia Taylor, of Roan county, Tennessee, and they have had eight children, viz.: Permelia, the wife of James Farmer, a farmer in Cumberland county, Tennessee; George W., whose sketch is given in the next paragraph; Hannah, who married Joseph Corey, and died February 8, 1873, at the age of twenty-six years, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; Mary, the wife of J. W. Harris, residing on a farm in Cloud county, Kansas; Rachel, now the wife of Daniel Thomas, a farmer of Adams county, Iowa; Josephine, now Mrs. James Buddin, of Barry county, Missouri; Hamilton, residing in Adams county, and married to Flora Timberlake; and Susie, now Mrs. H. G. McCollum, residing on the farm with the mother. Mrs. Kindred is a member of the United Brethren Church.
Mr. Kindred, our subject, was a Republican in politics and an enthusiastic supporter of the temperance movement. His services as a valiant soldier in the defense of his country, his blameless life and his devotion to family and home, all give evidence to his worth.
N. M. King, a member of the Board of Supervisors of Adams county, Iowa, was born in Sandridge township, Menard county, Illinois, April 28, 1841. His father, N. M. King, Sr., was born in Virginia in 1802, and his great- grandfather, Daniel King, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. The King family came from England and were among the first settlers in Virginia. N. M. King, Sr., located in Illinois in 1821, at the age of nineteen. He and Abraham Lincoln worked by the day together, both enlisted in the same company in the Black Hawk war, and were warm friends all their lives. Mr. King married Jane Runnels, daughter of John Runnels, who was born in North Carolina and when eleven years of age was taken to Kentucky where she was reared. They lived in Illinois until 1865, when they moved to Madison county, Iowa, where Mr. King died February 15, 1883, in his eighty-first year. His wife was past eighty- one when she died. He was a farmer all his life; in politics a Whig and later a Republican; and in religion, a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Of their ten children, nine reached adult age.
The subject of our sketch was reared on his father's farm and educated in the common schools of his native county. When the war came on he was among the first to offer his services to his country. November 28, 1861, he enlisted in Company M, Second Illinois Cavalry, that regiment which so grandly distinguished itself. He participated in many important engagements, and at the close of the war was mustered out at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, being Quartermaster Sergeant at that time.
Returning to Illinois after the war, he remained in that State two months, thence to Madison county, Iowa, where he lived until December 13, 1870, when he settled on wild land in Adams county. He now owns 295 acres of rich land in section 21, Douglas township, this county, and forty acres in Madison county. The "King farm," as it is known, is one of the best in the township A good modern residence was built in 1891 and is surrounded by a grove and orchard. A substantial barn, 30 x 40 feet, and all the farm improvements, broad meadows and well cultivated fields, indicate the enterprise of the owner and the prosperity which has attended him. This farm is all bottom land except 120 acres located on the hill side. Mr. King has given much attention to stock-raising, and has been eminently successful in his various operations.
August 1, 1860, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Close, who was born and reared in the same neighborhood with him, attending the same district school. She is a daughter of George and Rebecca (Beams) Close, the former born in Licking county, Kentucky, and the latter born in South Carolina and reared in Kentucky. They became early settlers of Menard county, Illinois. The father died in Madison county, Iowa, in March, 1871, aged seventy-five years; the mother is now a resident of Livingston county, Missouri, and is in her eighty-ninth year. To Mr. and Mrs. King eleven children have been born, viz.: Minerva Isabelle, wife of William Strait; Trinvilla, wife of Rufus Gooddle, of Lincoln township, this county; Mary A., wife of B. F. Myers, of Jasper township; Rebecca J., wife of A. A. Strait; Charles S., U. s. Grant, Fanny Frances, Guthrie N., John Leonard, Ada I., and Howard W.
Mr. King was elected to his present office, county Supervisor, in the fall of 1890, receiving a good majority of the votes cast. He is a man of good judgment and executive ability and is the right man in the right place. In his political relations he formerly affiliated with the Republican party, but is now an Independent. He is a member of the Meyerhoff Post, G. A. R., and both he and his wife are members of the United Brethren church.
Mr. Kirkpatrick hails from the Buckeye State. He was born in Athens township, Harrison county, Ohio, September 16, 1829. His father, William Kirkpatrick, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, son of James Kirkpatrick, the family being of Scotch-Irish extraction and members of the Presbyterian Church. William Kirkpatrick was reared in Pennsylvania, and when a young man came West with his father and settled in Harrison county, Ohio, becoming a pioneer of Athens township. He married Sarah Guthrie, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Robert Guthrie, and had eleven children, ten of whom grew to adult age. Both parents died in Harrison county, the father at the age of eighty-six years. He cleared a farm and passed his life in agricultural pursuits. He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church for more than forty years, and for sixty years attended the same church.
The subject of our sketch grew to manhood on his father's farm, and received his education in the common schools of Ohio, and continued to reside in his native State until 1882. That year he disposed of his interests there and came to Iowa. After living in Adair county one year, he came to his present location. His place here, with its neat cottage, attractive lawn, orchard and grove, presents the appearance of a well-kept Ohio farm.
Mr. Kirkpatrick was married in Harrison county, Ohio, September 28, 1854, to Miss Malinda Moore, a native of that place. Her father, Samuel Moore, was born in Dublin, Ireland, and when six weeks old was brought by his parents to this country, and was reared in Pennsylvania. He married Christena Leinard, a native of Maryland, and by her had six children. Both parents died in Ohio, the father at the age of ninety- six years and the mother, eighty-six. Mr. and Mrs. Kirkpatrick have seven children living, six sons and one daughter, viz.: James M. is married, has two children, and lives in Harrison county, Ohio; Amanda F. is married, has eight children, and lives in Carl township, Adams county, Iowa; John M., also married and a resident of that place; William s. is a resident of Belmont county, Ohio, is married and has two children; Samuel M. is married and lives in Carl township, this county, and Alvin G. and Robert Walton are at home with their parents. One daughter, Ann Eliza, died at the age of fifteen months.
Mr. Kirkpatrick is a staunch Democrat, as were his father and his wife's people. His sons are also all Democrats.
Adam Kraut, one of the old and respected German farmers of Washington township, Adams county (Mt. Etna postoffice), was born in Kurhessen, Germany, October 4, 1826. His parents were Henry and Cathrina (Simon) Krauts, both natives of Germany. The father came to this country in 1851, and settled in Germantown, Pennsylvania. He came to Iowa in the early fifties, and settled on a farm of 160 acres in Cass county, where he died in 1853. He was a member of the Reform German Church. His wife died in Germany at the age of fifty-eight years. He died about the same age. They were the parents of three children; our subject is the oldest of the family. John, a brother, lives in Iowa City, Johnson county. Mr. Kraut has been a farmer all his life. He came to America when he was twenty-eight years of age and settled in Johnson county, Iowa. He owned a farm there of forty acres, which he sold in the fifties and then bought a farm near the place on which he now resides. Mrs. Coleman owns that farm now. He bought his present farm in 1880; there are eighty acres in the farm; it is nicely located near the section road in the midst of an excellent and fertile country. He raises corn, oats and potatoes, and in fact almost anything that can be grown in the county. He is one of the good and substantial German farmers who understand agriculture.
Mr. Kraut was married in Philadelphia in 1859, and had four children by this union: Anna, wife of Thomas Smith, living in Dakota; Edgar, Simon and John, all farming in Cass county.
The mother died in 1857. Her age was thirty-two years.
Our subject married his present wife, Miss Mary Couchet, in 1870. Both Mr. and Mrs. Kraut are members of the Evangelical Church. In politics he was formerly a Greenbacker. He is an industrious and well-to-do citizen.
E. Kretchmer, manufacturer of and dealer in beekeepers' supplies, and importer and breeder of Italian bees, has near Red Oak one of the largest establishments of the kind in the United States, and is therefore one of the best known bee men in this country. He imported the first Italian queen bee west of the Mississippi river, in 1861, and is the author of four standard works on the honey bee. His "Beekeepers' Guide-Book" was one of the first published in the United States, and is still a popular and valuable work. In 1864 he manufactured supplies in Des Moines county, Iowa, and in 1866 he came to Coburg, Iowa, and was engaged in the bee business there for years, with great success. That village was laid out on his farm, and at that place he was postmaster for a time. He came to Red Oak in 1890, with a plant which cost $12,000. The main building is two stories high, is 60 x 86 feet in ground area; one other building, also two stories high, is 30 x 80 feet; and the store house or wareroom is 24 x 45 feet. Mr. Kretchmer's sales are made by correspondence, and he issues annually, a fifty-two-page catalogue to parties in every State and Territory of the Union Great Britain. Germany, Australia and South America. He employs eighteen men in the wholesale department alone.
Mr. Kretchmer was born on a United States vessel on the ocean, received his education in Prussia, became a cadet in the Prussian army and breveted Lieutenant. At the age of seventeen years he came to this country and settled at Pleasant Grove, Des Moines county, this State. For some time he was clerk on a steamboat. During the war he was one of the first to enlist, coming out with the first Iowa Infantry Regiment; he afterward enlisted in the Eleventh Illinois Cavalry, where he served two years. He was captured by the enemy near Corinth, Mississippi, and was confined for a time at Jackson, and at Vicksburg for two or three months, when he was exchanged. On account of disability he was honorably discharged, when he was First Lieutenant of Company H, and he returned to Pleasant Grove; but since 1867 he has been a resident of Montgomery county. His present place comprises 189 acres, near the town of Red Oak, a large part of which is within the incorporation, with a residence which cost $10,000. It is, indeed, one of the best residences in the county, while the premises and surroundings are both tasteful and commanding.
Mr. Kretchmer was
married, in 1864, in Des Moines county, Iowa, to Miss Iowa Clark, a
daughter of Justus Clark, and they had four sons and three daughters,
namely: Justus C., Elizabeth Eleanor, now the wife Charles Collard,
of Kearney, Nebraska, and a graduate of Red Oak high school; Charles
W., of New Mexico; May Adelina, Viola M., Bernard E. and Raymond. In
1880 Mr. Kretchmer married for his present wife Miss Caroline, daughter
of Peter Smith, and by this union is one daughter, named Valencia. Mr.
Kretchmer is a Republican in his political views, being one of the wheel-horses
of the party. He has served three years and a half as county Supervisor,
has had all the township offices, filling every position with credit
and satisfaction. He is a member of the G. A. R.. Has taken every degree
in Odd Fellowship and has held every prominent office in all its branches.
He is also a very accomplished Mason and has held the highest offices
in that order from the blue lodge to the Mystic Shrine not forgetting
the Eastern Star, which mainly through his efforts, was organized here.