Portrait and Biographical
Album of Louisa County
Unless otherwise noted, biographies submitted by Dick Barton.
HENRY C. BLAKE, deceased, was one of the honored pioneers of Louisa County, born in Muskingum County, Ohio, July 11, 1819, and was a son of Nehemiah and Elizabeth (Pagett) Blake. His father was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was at the surrender of Hull; he also participated in the late Rebellion, enlisting in the old "Graybeard" regiment of Iowa. He had previously become a resident of this State, having located in Louisa County in 1847, where his death occurred on the 28th of March, 1876. Mrs. Blake departed this life when Henry was but a small child, and he was reared by Judge Chamberlain, a relative of the family, residing in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., where he received a liberal education. He subsequently returned to Ohio, locating in Preble County, where he became acquainted with and married Miss Ann Wilson, their union being celebrated May 18, 1843. She is a daughter of Daniel and Catherine (Rock) Wilson, natives of South Carolina. Her parents being opposed to slavery, and not wishing to rear a family under the influences of that institution, emigrated to Ohio about 1821. They were the parents of nine children, seven of whom are still living: Mary A., widow of H. C. Blake, of this sketch; John R., of Louisa County; David S., a resident of Preble County, Ohio; William, whose home is in Louisa County, Iowa; Rosanna, wife of A. P. Paxton, of Preble County, Ohio; Thomas, who is residing in Warren County, Iowa, and Sarah, who wedded J. M. Lee, of Furnas county, Neb. Mr. Wilson's death occurred in 1845, his wife surviving him until 1877. She was a member of the Covenanter Church, and both were highly respected people.
Henry C. Blake migrated to Morning Sun, Iowa, in 1845, and purchased a farm north of the village. On the 2d of June, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, 1st Iowa cavalry, participated in several engagements, and served for three years, when he was honorably discharged, at Davenport, Iowa, Sept. 9, 1864. He was a brave, true soldier, and could always be found at his post. After being mustered out of service he returned to his family in Morning Sun, broken down in health, which he never again recovered, his death occurring April 9, 1876. He was honored and revered by his comrades, who named the organization of the Grand Army Post in Morning Sun for him and his father.
Mr. and Mrs. Blake were the parents of three children: William E., now an attorney-at-law, of the firm of Newman & Blake, of Burlington, Iowa; Wilson W., editor of the Two Republics, of the City of Mexico, and Melville E., an attorney-at-law, also of the above-named firm. Henry C. Blake was an honored pioneer, an enterprising citizen, a consistent Christian, and was highly respected. His widow still resides at Morning Sun, where she has many warm friends.
DAVID GREGORY, a prominent pioneer of Louisa County, Iowa, of 1840, now residing on section 20, Morning Sun Township, was born in Morgan County, Ind., March 12, 1820, and is a son of William and Lucy (Jones) Gregory. His father was a soldier of the War of 1812, and served under Gen. Tipton. His mother was a native of Kentucky, but they were married in Harrison County, Ind., and in 1820 removed to Morgan County, where they were numbered among its earliest settlers. Mr. Gregory there purchased land, and developed a farm in the midst of the wilderness, on which re resided until 1840, when he removed to Louisa County, Iowa, locating upon a place where his son Dennis now resides. To Mr. and Mrs. Gregory were born twelve children, four of whom are living: Dennis, David, the subject of this sketch; Eliza, wife of William Edwards, of Indiana, and Milton, whose home is also in the Hoosier State. In 1858 the death of Mr. Gregory occurred in this county, he having survived his wife, who died in 1832, many years. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and were earnest Christian people. Mr. Gregory was a pioneer of Kentucky, Indiana and Iowa, and lived in the Territory of Wisconsin, the Territory of Iowa, and the State of Iowa, all the while residing in one home.
When eighteen years of age our subject came to Iowa in search of a location, and after traveling all over this State concluded to make Louisa County his future home. He had been educated in the schools of a wild and almost unsettled country, though by observation and experience in later years he gained much knowledge which was of great practical benefit to him. In 1839, in Morgan County, Ind., he was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Miss Samantha Askew, and soon afterward took up his permanent residence in this county, which he has never left, except at one time when he made a short trip to California. By their union three children were born, but all are now deceased. Mrs. Gregory died in 1854,and he was again married, Miss Mary E. Humphreys becoming his wife. She was born in Peoria County, Ill., and is the eldest daughter of James G. and Nancy (Bovans) Humphreys, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Ohio. They have been the parents of four children, three now living: Jennie, wife of George L. Swan, a resident of Louisa County; Grant and James, who are also numbered among its residents.
Mr. Gregory is an ardent supporter of the Republican party. He cast his first Presidential vote for Gen. William H. Harrison, and in the fall of 1888 he voted for Benjamin Harrison, the honored grandson of that illustrious man. His capital on coming to this county consisted only of a good constitution and a determination to make his life a success, so with a brave heart and ready hand he went to work, and, as time has passed, has accumulated a large property. In the earlier days times were hard, and money could scarcely be obtained, Mr. Gregory having often hauled wood to Wapello, for which he received but thirty cents per load, and it took two days' labor to get it to town. Possessing good business ability, and making the most of every opportunity, Mr. Gregory has succeeded far better than he first expected, and now owns 410 acres of fine land, which is well cultivated and improved. He is genial, kindly, and his home is the abode of hospitality. The old settlers can relate many instances of his kind acts during pioneer days, and that same desire to assist a fellow creature is still one of his chief characteristics. Mrs. Gregory is a member of the Christian Church.
DENNIS GREGORY, a pioneer settler of Louisa County of 1841, now residing on section 17, Morning Sun Township, was born in Harrison County, Ind., in September, 1817, and is a son of William and Lucy (Jones) Gregory, who were the parents of ten children, four of whom are now living, three sons and a daughter: David, who resides in this county Milton, who is living in Morgan County, Ind.; Eliza D., wife of William Edwards, of Morgan County, Ind.; and Dennis, the subject of this sketch.
Mr. Gregory was reared on a farm in Morgan County, Ind., where his parents had removed when he was a lad, and received his education in the common schools. At the age of twenty-one he left the parental roof and made a trip to Louisa County in 1840, settling here permanently in 1841. He was united in marriage in 1843, becoming the husband of Miss Sarah Price, and by their union ten children have been born, six of whom are now living, four sons and two daughters: Mary, who is at home; Francis A., who was educated at Howe's Academy at Mt. Pleasant, is now a minister of the Baptist faith, in Chicago, Ill.; William P., who was also educated in Howe's Academy, is an attorney-at-law of Yates Center, Iowa; David is residing at home; Hiram Madison is engaged in farming in Christian County, Ill.; and Artie is the wife of John See, of this county.
Mr. and Mrs. Gregory have been lifelong members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In early life he was a Whig in politics, and a great admirer of Henry Clay. In 1840 he cast his vote for Gen. William Henry Harrison, and on Nov. 6, 1888, he voted for the grandson of that gentleman, Hon. Benjamin Harrison, the nominee of the Republican party for President. Mr. Gregory has been a liberal supporter of schools and religious institutions, and is ranked as one of Louisa County 's best citizens. For forty-seven years he has been a resident of the county, and has shared all the hardships and trials incident to pioneer life. He was a poor man at that time, his capital consisting only of a horse and the sum of $5 in money, which he loaned, but which was never returned to him. Possessing a robust constitution and determined to succeed, by his energy, fair dealing and good management, he has accumulated a comfortable competency, has provided educational advantages for his children, and to-day is one of the well-to-do farmers of the community. His farm, comprising 240 acres of land, 200 of which are under cultivation, is valued at $30 per acre. Little can the children of the pioneers, who laid the foundation of the country's present prosperity, realize the disadvantages and trials which come to those who found homes in the new and unbroken country. Mr. Gregory had to carry his grain to market at Burlington, and oftentimes only received forty dents a bushel for wheat and ten cents for corn. Pork was sold for $1.25 per hundred, and for everything else he received prices in proportion. His first house in Louisa County consisted of a rude log cabin, 14x16 feet, the chimney made of mud and sticks. He manufactured his own stools and tables, and in one end of the building was the huge fireplace, before which he baked his johnny-cake, one of the staple articles of diet of those days. Though there was much that was unpleasant in this pioneer life, there were also many pleasures, and the land, which was then wild and unbroken, constitutes one of the finest farms in the community.
Capt. JOHN L. GRUBB, a retired farmer and merchant, and an honored early settler of Louisa County, of which he became a resident in April, 1850, was born in Brooke County, Va., June 25, 1819, and is a son of John L. and Ellen (Smith) Grubb. His father was born and reared in Wilmington, Del., and was of Scotch and German origin, while his mother was a native of Pennsylvania. John left his native State with his parents, going to Harrison County, Ohio, when seven years of age, and was there reared upon a farm. In April, 1850, he emigrated to Iowa, locating on the site of Morning Sun, Louisa County, then known as Virginia Grove, but in 1852 he returned to Ohio, where he wedded Miss Adeline Hayes, a daughter of Elias Hayes. Immediately after their marriage Mr. Grubb brought his young bride to Louisa County, locating in Columbus City, where five children were born to them, three sons and two daughters: Charles A., who is married, and resides in Wilson County, Kan.; John Oscar, who is living in Streator, Ill., is single; Ida became the wife of Charles Thompson, and her death and the death of her husband and child all occurred within three months, she being thirty years of age; Adelaide wedded Joseph Leutie, of Des Moines County; Thomas Henry, single, is living at Stanton, Neb. The mother of these children was called to her final home on the 25th of December, 1867. Mr. Grubb was again married, Aug. 26, 1868, Miss Amanonia Parsons becoming his wife. She was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., and is a daughter of Marcus Parsons. Three children grace the second union, all daughters - Clara E., Mira and Lillie.
In 1853 Mr. Grubb removed to Columbus City, where he engaged in mercantile business, and kept a general store until 1857. In the month of June,1861, he r4esponded to the country's first call for troops, and was mustered into service on the 15th of July following, as Captain of Company C, 5th Iowa Infantry, it being the first company mustered into the service from Louisa County. He served in the Army of Mississippi, was in the raid through Missouri after Price, when participated in the battle of New Madrid, Mo., was at Ft. Pillow bombardment, next was ordered to Shiloh, and after the battle which there occurred, went to Corinth. On the 28th of June, 1862, he was prostrated by a sunstroke, and on the 13th of July, 1862, he returned to Columbus City.
After his return from the war Mr. Grubb resided in Columbus City until 1865, then engaged in farming in Elm Grove Township for one year, then removed to Washington Township, Des Moines County. While there his wife died, and in the spring of 1868 he again returned to Columbus City. In the fall of 1868 he was elected to the office of Sheriff of Louisa County, and in January, 1869, moved to Wapello, the county seat, entered upon his duties as Sheriff and served until 1875, after which he removed to Columbus Junction, his present home, when he served two years as Justice of the Peace, and has been engaged in real-estate business. He is now living a retired life.
In his early years Capt. Grubb was a Whig, and cast his first vote for Gen. Harrison. He is now a member of the Republican party, and one of its strong supporters. Socially, he is a Mason, belonging to Columbus City Lodge No. 107, and is also a member of Todd Post No. 115, G. A. R., both of Columbus Junction. Capt. Grubb is a highly respected citizen of Louisa County, and in all the relations of life, both public and private, has proved himself upright and true.
JOHN L. JARVIS, a farmer and stock-raiser residing on section 26, Morning Sun Township, was born in Wayne County, Ind., April 22, 1843, and is a son of John B. and Charlotte W. (Burgess) Jarvis, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Kentucky. The father left his native State at the age of fourteen, locating in Wayne County, Ind., where he became acquainted with and married Miss Charlotte W. Burgess, April 28, 1835. He then engaged in farming and teaming in that county until 1847. Five children were born unto them there: Walter S., who died in infancy; Caroline M., born May 17, 1837, died Oct. 21, 1866, in Louisa County, and was buried in Morning Sun Cemetery; Sarah E., born Jan. 11, 1839, became the wife of Eugene C. Lyman, a farmer of Henry County, Iowa, and her death occurred Dec. 29, 1871; James M., born Jan. 29, 1841, and now residing in Pueblo, Col., was united in marriage, July 31, 1877, in Mason County, Ill., with Susan Ismael, but her death occurred April 19, 1883.In 1847, John B. Jarvis, accompanied by his family, emigrated to Louisa County, Iowa, and for three or four months after their arrival lived in the home of Zadok Jarvis. In the meantime a cabin was being erected on the farm on section 26, where our subject now resides. On coming to this county the father purchased 320 acres of land, where he lived until his death, which occurred Feb. 10, 1880, at the age of seventy-two years, four months and twenty-eight days. His wife had passed to her last rest July 11, 1873, at the age of sixty-six years, four months and sixteen days. Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, being liberal in its support and active workers in its interest. Mr. Jarvis was a public-spirited man, and in his political views was a supporter of the Democratic party.The subject of this sketch came to Louisa County with his parents when four years of age. Here he received his education in the log school-house that stood on a plot of ground adjoining his father's land, though he attended school for one term in Morning Sun and one in Burlington. On his arrival in this county there were but thirteen houses from the south point of Virginia Grove, which received its name from a number of men who settled there in 1835, who formerly were residents of Virginia. In that year Mr. Guinn was selling a tract of land, and on making the deed was asked how the article should be headed, and decided that they should call it Virginia Grove.For forty-one years Mr. Jarvis has lived upon the old homestead. On the 10th of June, 1869, he was united in marriage with Miss Samantha Siverly, who was born Dec. 18, 1845, in Morning Sun, Louisa Co., Iowa. Seven children graced this union: The first died in infancy; Charlotte I., born Oct. 17, 1871; Amanda M., July 29, 1873; John M., Nov. 4, 1874; Wilbur L., June 26, 1880; Austin C., Aug. 7, 1881, and Wesley R., born June 1, 1884, died August 2 of the same year. Mrs. Jarvis is a consistent and esteemed member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Jarvis is now the owner of 378-1/2 acres of land, all in one body in Morning Sun Township, 300 of which is tillable and highly cultivated. All the improvements necessary to a well-regulated farm have been made, and upon his land may be found good grades of all kinds of stock. In politics Mr. Jarvis has always identified himself with the Democratic party. He is ever ready to aid in the upbuilding of the community in which he resides, and is a man of sterling worth, who receives the respect and esteem of the entire community.
MYERS JARVIS, a prominent and well-to-do farmer of Louisa County, residing on section 35, Morning Sun Township, was born in Union County, Ind., Oct. 22, 1825, and is a son of James and Ruth (Stallions) Jarvis. The father was born in Maryland, though reared in North Carolina, and came to this county in 1847, where the death of both parents occurred.
The educational advantages of our subject were very limited, he only being permitted to attend the common schools of his native county. At the age of nine years he commenced working upon a farm, which occupation he has followed throughout his entire life. In 1847 he became a resident of Louisa County, and is still living in the house which he built upon his arrival. He purchased 160 acres of prairie and forty acres of timber land in Morning Sun Township, and then went to the timber and cut the trees for the cabin. He hired a man with a horse sawmill to saw the logs, and erected a house 16x26 feet, which still serves as his home, though it has been greatly enlarged. The land which he purchased was a wild and unbroken prairie, and he ran the first furrow, breaking every bit of the whole farm, with the exception o twenty acres which he hired done. He also cut the rails for the fences, having at the end of the first winter split 3,000 rails.
On the 27th of November, 1851, Mr. Jarvis was united in marriage with Miss Jane Blair, daughter of W. P. Blair, one of the oldest settlers of Louisa County. She is a native of Tennessee, and was born about the year 1829. This worthy couple are the parents of eight children: Ruth, who became the wife of Samuel Stephens, a farmer of Clark County, Mo.; Miranda, who wedded Levi Wolfe, a resident farmer of Morning Sun Township; James A. became the husband of Flora E. Kirk, and is also engaged in farming in Morning Sun Township; Zadok H., Myers, John W. and Samuel, all of whom are at home. With one exception all of Mr. Jarvis' children have settled near him, and as one by one they have left the parental roof he has provided them with good homes. To his first purchase of land he has added, until with what he has given to his children he had a total of about 1,000 acres, all of which was finely cultivated land. Upon his home farm he has one of the finest barns in the State, being 66x100 feet, with a basement nine feet high under the entire building. The barn from the floor to the cone inside is forty-eight feet, and has a capacity for 300 tons of hay, granaries for 1,500 bushels of oats, 1,600 bushels of corn, and with stabling for 100 head of cattle and forty-five head of horses. The cost of the building was about $5,500, and in its erection were used 200 perch of stone, 2,600 pounds of nails, and about 100,000 shingles. In the barn he also has all the necessary machinery for unloading hay. His horses are of the best Clyde and Norman stock, his cattle are Short-horn, and his hogs Poland-China.
When about to commence farming for himself Mr. Jarvis has to borrow money to purchase a second horse with which to begin work. Thus starting in life with nothing but a determination to make his way, he has, by his energy, enterprise and good management, which are among his chief characteristics, made his life a success and become one of the wealthy farmers of the county, To Mrs. Jarvis, too, is due much credit, for while her husband was clearing away the brush she was either attending to the stock, milking the cows or running the old spinning-wheel, by which she wove the cloth for the family. The first tax paid by Mr. Jarvis was about $3, but he now pays about $400. Mr. Jarvis has always given liberally of his means to the upbuilding of the county. In his political views he is a strong advocate of the principle of the Democratic party. For over forty years he has been a resident of Louisa County, Iowa. Great changes have taken place since then. Where once stood the wigwam of the Indians now is the home of civilized and Christian people, or perchance a church or school-house. Where the hazel brush once grew so thick that a person hardly force a passage through it, are now waving fields of grain or beautiful orchards. In the work which transformed the country almost as if by magic, Mr. Jarvis was an earnest and willing helper, and as a pioneer and a citizen he deserves and receives the esteem of the people of Louisa County.
ZADOK JARVIS, deceased. In recording the sketch of Mr. Jarvis we furnish an item of interest to the readers of the Album, not only of this generation, but of coming generations, he being one of the most prominent pioneers of Louisa County. He was born in Rowan County, N. C., Dec. 28, 1809, but when he was twelve years of age the family removed to Union County, Ind., making that their home until 1847, when they removed to Louisa County, Iowa. In 1832 Mr. Jarvis went to Cass County, Mich., and while in that county was united in marriage with Jane Gardner, a native of Mifflin County, Pa., and a daughter of Hugh and Mary (McFadden) Gardner, the mother a native of Pennsylvania, and the father of Ireland. The marriage of Mr. Jarvis and Miss Gardner was celebrated in 1836, and the following year he brought his young wife to Louisa County, Iowa, locating on the west side of Virginia Grove, on what is now section 22, Morning Sun Township, the present owner being Hugh Gardner. There they began in earnest life's work, subjected to all the hardships and inconveniences, trials and privations of pioneer life. After eight years of happy married life the wife was called to her final rest, Feb. 6, 1844. She was the mother of five children, only two of whom are now living: Mrs. James N. Chapman, of Morning Sun Township, and Mrs. J. T. Gawthrop, of Burlington. In 1847 Mr. Jarvis was again married, Charlotte Spafford becoming his wife. She is a daughter of Orlin Spafford, one of the early and respected settlers of the county. Of the six children born of the second marriage four are still living, three sons and one daughter: Margaret L., now Mrs. John Wood, of Nebraska; John R. and Leander M., of Morning Sun, and Edward E., supposed to be in Kansas.
In many respects Mr. Jarvis was a remarkable man. Deprived of the advantages of acquiring even a common-school education, he yet had been endowed by nature with superior judgment and considerable talent. As a business man he developed splendid executive abilities, which were everywhere recognized, and his wise counsel was sought for by his neighbors far and near. Always generous to a fault, the home of this plain and honest man was for years in the early history of the county the abode of genuine hospitality. Sterling integrity was another of his striking characteristics, his word being as good as his bond, and although through business entanglements with others he suffered financial misfortune, his honor and his good name through all the varying scenes of a busy life ever remained unstained, and in him one could see a fulfillment of the "noblest work of God - an honest man." Mr. Jarvis was always a Democrat, firmly clinging to his political convictions, yet cheerfully acceding to others the right of opinion, a trait precious on account of its scarcity in this age of partisan bitterness.
In 1870 Mr. Jarvis united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and lived a consistent member of that body until his death, which occurred June 24, 1886. When the news of the death of this good old man became known, while not unexpected, a feeling of universal sorrow was manifested on every hand. His long-continued illness, with his old age, gave his friends little hope for any other result, though everything that medical skill could employ or living hands provide was brought into requisition for his relief, but it was evident that the sands of life had about run out. He fell peacefully asleep, and without an apparent struggle his spirit passed to Him Who gave it. In his death the county lost one of her best and truest citizens. None knew him but to love him, for his many acts of kindness shown to those in distress, need or sorrow, could not but win the hearts of all. Although surrounded by trials and difficulties, he always overcame every obstacle and come out conqueror in the end. On his arrival in this county he had $303 in money with him. Leaving his family in their tent a short distance above Wapello, he started out on foot to find a suitable location, and staid all night upon the farm that he purchased. He took his money with him, and after paying for the claim had but $3 left. By the time the trade was completed night came on, and not wishing to return to his family, a distance of ten miles on foot, he accepted the invitation to stay all night with the man from whom he had bought the land. During the night while asleep he was robbed of the $3. He always supposed his host was the thief.
In after years Mr. Jarvis accumulated considerable property, but he was often heard to remark that the happiest days of his life were spent in the old log cabin, when the children would make the old house ring with their merry shouts and laughter, and when the friends and neighbors lived for one another. But as "time and tide wait for no man," the old pioneers one by one are passing away, and only a few of the honored ones of forty or fifty years ago are left to tell the story of the trials and hardships of the early days of pioneer life of Louisa County.
WILLIAM H. MARSHALL, a farmer residing on section 15, Morning Sun Township, is numbered among the honored pioneers of Louisa County. He was born in Brooke County, W. Va., June 20, 1823, and is son of Joshua S. and Margaret (Maxwell) Marshall, the father a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, and the mother of Baltimore, Md. They were the parents of five children: William H., the eldest of the family; Sarah J., the deceased wife of Dr. Harris Howey, a physician and druggist of Wapello, Iowa; Robert, now living upon the old homestead, which was located in 1836 by his father; Dewitt C., a resident of Marshall Township; and John L., also a farmer of Marshall Township.
In 1836 Joshua Marshall, the father of these children, came to the Territory of Iowa with Peter Curran, and after his arrival located the land where his son Robert now resides. He then sold his horse and returned home, but the following year, accompanied by his son William, he again came to Iowa and put in twenty acres of corn, going once more that same fall to his home in West Virginia after his crop had been gathered. In the spring of 1838, this time accompanied by his wife and his sons William and John, he again made the trip, putting in another crop. The family were all well pleased with the country, but he thought it too new for them to remain during the winter, and so they returned to West Virginia, after which he and his son William were engaged in floating boats down the Mississippi River from Wellsburg, W. Va., to New Orleans, making two trips a year until 1842, when Mr. Marshall decided to thereafter make his home upon his new purchase in the then Far West. In April of that year the family landed in Burlington, and came directly to the claim which he had made in 1836. He was a man who was highly respected by the pioneers of Louisa County, and for him Marshall Township was probably named, his home having always been on section 9. He bought the tract of land from a man by the name of Spence, but at that time there was only a very small cabin on it, into which the family moved until a log cabin, sixteen feet square, could be completed. This continued to be their home for many years, they there living in true pioneer style, bravely enduring all the trials and hardships incident to a settlement in a new country. Mr. Marshall's first purchase of land consisted of 320 acres, but from time to time he added to his original tract until at one time he was the owner of 2,100 acres in the county. About the year 1860 he built a two-story brick residence, 36x44 feet, with a cellar under the entire building, and there resided during the remainder of his days, his death occurring July 3, 1880. His wife was called to her rest May 16, 1870, at the age of sixty-seven years, six months and twenty days. Mr. Marshall was a man who always took an active interest in public affairs, and did much for the advancement of the county. Liberality was one of his chief characteristics, he having tided many men over troubles which perhaps otherwise would have sunk them, and many has he helped to secure homes. Not a few sought his counsel, and his advice was freely given, and often accompanied by more substantial aid. Socially, he was a member of the Masonic fraternity. Though often solicited to accept public offices he steadily refused, much preferring the quiet of home life.
Our subject received his education in the common schools of his native State, and came with his father in 1836 to Louisa County, where he has lived almost continuously since, though in the earlier days he made several trips to West Virginia before settling permanently. He had charge of his father's landed estates in this county until 1848, when he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Smith, and made a home for himself. Mrs. Marshall is a native of Nottingham, England, and with her parents, James and Sarah (Hill) Smith, emigrated to America in 1844. The death of her father occurred about the year 1875, her mother surviving him until 1885.
Mr. and Mrs. Marshall have been the parents of ten children, all of whom are yet living except the first-born: Margaret E. became the wife of John T. Peck, and four children were born to them - Alice, Olive L., Fannie F. and C. W.; Mary E. wedded Robert Marshall, a native of Kentucky, though now a resident of Union County, Mo., and six children graced their union - Eva E., Robert, Lee, Maggie, Berry and Nellie; Sarah M. became the wife of Benjamin Tindall, a farmer of Marshall Township, and four children have been born to them - Laura E., Josie, Jennie and an infant; Mira A. was united in marriage with Thomas Hamilton, a resident farmer of Henry County, Iowa, and to them have been born five children - Leah Estella, Gertrude F., Leonard, Luella and Marion; Ida S. is the wife of C. A. Whitaker, a resident of Omaha, Neb., and they have one child, Curtis W.; Henry, who is a farmer in Wapello Township; J. L., who has charge of the home farm; Francis E., still residing at home; Clara E., wife of George Hungate, a farmer of Morning Sun Township; and Laura, also residing at home.
Mr. and Mrs. Marshall have given all their children good educations, thereby fitting them for useful positions in life. In 1849 he moved to his present farm, which then consisted of 260 acres, but about 1859 he sold eighty, retaining 185 acres, 120 of which he has under a fine state of cultivation. In his political views he is a Democrat, and has been elected to various township offices. Since becoming a citizen of Louisa County he has participated and aides in its many great changes, transforming the wild and uninhabited prairie into beautiful homes and farms. For the past five years he has been in failing health, but the past winter he spent amid the orange groves of Louisiana, and since his return his health has been much better than it was for a number of years previously.