ASMAN, JOHN, proprietor Central House, P. O.
Tabor; born in Lincolnshire, England, August 18, 1825; came to the United States in 1851,
locating near Rochester, New York. He came to Fremont county in 1856; enlisted in the
twenty-ninth Iowa infantry, April 29, 1860, and served until the close of the war. Was
married May 3, 1855, to Miss Elizabeth L. Marshall, of Ohio. They are the parents of eight
children, five now living: Nellie, William M., Nettie, John F., and Sarah A.
AVERY, EGBERT, blacksmith, P. O. Tabor;
born in Loraine county, Ohio, January 23, 1829. Was educated at Oberlin College, Ohio. In
1853 came to Civil Bend, Fremont county, Iowa. August 22, 1854, he was married to Miss
Harriet King, of Loraine county, Ohio. Came to Tabor in 1856, and has followed his trade
since. Has held the office of justice of the peace two terms, and is now recorder. Was a
prominent member of the underground railroad. He is the father of six children, two
living: Albert A. and Harriet K.
BECKWITH, G. W., blacksmith, P. O.
Tabor; born in Muskingum county, Ohio, October 7, 1823. In 1839 he went to Cincinnati to
learn the trade he now follows. After many removals and many times changing his business,
he enlisted in 1850 in the filibustering expedition to Cuba. In 1856 came to Iowa,
locating in Dallas county, at Adel. After another series of removals, he came to Tabor in
187-. He was married September 10, 1850, to Miss Mary Hill, a native of Ohio, who died
March 16, 1862, leaving four children: Benjamin, Luella, James B. and Lenora. In 1864,
February 6, he was again married to Miss Elizabeth Shepherd, by whom he has three
children: Georgiana, Cora A. and Horace G.
BROOKS, REV. WM. MIRON, president
of Tabor College; born in LaPorte, Ohio, March 5, 1835. Graduated at Oberlin College,
Ohio, in 1857. In October of the same year came to Tabor to assume the principalship of
Tabor Literary Institute, an academy opened at that time. He has been at the head of Tabor
College since its organization. He was for several years county superintendent of common
schools in Fremont county. In 1868 he was chosen president of the Iowa State Teachers'
Association. He served as representative in the sixteenth general assembly, and was chosen
presidential elector from the eighth district of Iowa, in 1876. The success of Tabor
College has been his success, and to it he has devoted the best energies of a long and
successful life. It is with pleasure that the public of the county is presented with his
portrait - that of a representative man.
CRISSWELL, DAVID, farmer, section 23,
P. O. Tabor; born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, June 11, 1841, where he was educated
and grew to maturity. He enlisted September 1, 1861, in company I, 105th Pennsylvania
infantry. He was in the battles of Yorktown, Fairoaks, Malvern Hill, and others. He was
four times wounded. In October, 1864, he was taken prisoner, and remained in the hands of
the confederates until March 9, 1865, when he was paroled. On the 12th of June of the same
year he was discharged, and came directly to Fremont county. Mr. Criswell was married to
Miss Olive Wilson in December, 1869. She died August 14, 1871. He was again married April
16, 1874, to Miss Paula M. Gaylord, by whom he has three children: Robert G., Royal L.,
and Silas C.
CARPENTER, M. L., merchant, P. O.
Tabor; born in Homer, Courtland county, New York, September 13, 1822. Mr. Carpenter is a
cousin to F. B. Carpenter, the celebrated artist. He came to Tabor in the spring of 1857,
and engaged in the mercantile business, being the first store started in Tabor. He sold
out in the fall of 1862 and from that time to 1878 engaged first in one enterprise and
then in another. He has filled various offices of trust in both church and state. He was
married September 13, 1844, to Miss Caroline P. Johnson, by whom he had four children; one
now living: Lillie, wife to Prof J. E. Todd, of Tabor College.
CLARK, C. L., farmer, section 1, P. O.
Tabor; born in Jackson county, Michigan, May 17, 1838. His early life was passed in
attending school and on the farm. In 1861 came to Tabor, where he has since resided. In
1864 enlisted in company E, Thirteenth Iowa infantry, serving to the end of the war. Was
married April 3, 1863, to Miss Ellen Lymen, of West Dover, Vermont. They are the parents
of four children: George B., Walter M., Frederick A. and Florence A. Mr. Clark has filled
the office of township trustee.
DALTON, SAMUEL, farmer, P. O. Tabor; born
in Lincolnshire, England, July 25, 1821. His father dying when Samuel was very young, he
was deprived of the benefits of an education, and at the age of eleven began to carve his
own fortune. He was married to Miss Frances Asman, of Lincolnshire, England, May 18, 1843,
and in 1851 came to the United States. Came to Tabor in 1854. He has followed various
kinds of manual labor until the present. they have six children: John, Ann, Sarah C.,
William H., Mary E. and Hannah M.
ETTLEMAN, SAMUEL, farmer, section 19,
P. O. Tabor; born in Stark county, Ohio, October 18, 1826. When ten years of age moved
with his parents to Ray county, Missouri, remaining until 1840, when he made Adams county,
Illinois, his place of residence. In 1846, he came to Iowa, locating in Mills county, and
after an eighteen months residence moved to Plum Hollow, Fremont county. He was married
October 10, 1847, to Miss Susan Forney, his being the first marriage ever occurring in
Scott township. From this union six children resulted, three of whom are now married:
William H., Margaret, George W., David M., Sarah C. and Martha J. His farm comprises 208
acres, all under an excellent state of cultivation.
FREDERICKSON, L. D., farmer, section
10, P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Hancock county, Ohio, February 16, 1841. Came to Fremont
county, in 1857. Enlisted in company B, second Iowa cavalry, October 9, 1863. Was
discharged 19, 1865(sic). Returned to Fremont county, Iowa, and was married to Miss Casey
Ritchie, December 28, 1865. Their children are Mary B. and Andrew P.
FREDERICKSON, PETER, farmer, section
16, P. O. Tabor; born in Hampshire county, Massachusetts, April 19, 1812. He was educated
in the common schools of that state; and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1837, went to
Hancock county, Ohio, and remained nineteen years. In 1856, he came to Fremont county. He
has held the offices of township assessor, trustee and school treasurer. was married
September 20, 1837, to Miss Elmira Cooley, of Massachusetts. They have five children
living: Martha L., Lucius D., Peter W., Catherine E. and Solomon D.
GRAY, DANIEL M., farmer, section 18, P.
O. Plum Hollow: born in New London, Connecticut, October 31, 1832, where he grew to
manhood and was educated. When eighteen years of age learned the carpenter's trade. In
1854 went to La Salle county, Illinois, and in 1855 to Clayton county, Iowa. In the fall
of the last named year he came to Fremont county, and located in Monroe township, where he
filled the offices of justice of the peace and constable. In 1862 he removed to Worth
county, Missouri, and in 1867, returned to Fremont county. He was married May 3, 1857, to
Miss Fannie Wheeler, and is the father, by her, of six children: five living: Samantha,
Emma L., James B., Lucy A., and Alonzo T.
GAYLORD, M. W., farmer, section 22, P. O.
Tabor. Mr. Gaylord was born in Hancock county, Illinois, June 8, 1842; came to Fremont
county with his father's family in 1846. He reached manhood's estate on a farm, and
obtained the major portion of his education at home, there being no schools near in his
boyhood. He was married February 12, 1862, to Miss P. Russell, of Fremont county but
formerly of Ohio. They are the parents of seven children: Charles F., Lavern M., Dock. E.,
Fred. J., Lewis J., Walter, and one deceased. The farm of Mr. Gaylord comprises some
eighty acres, well improved.
GAYLORD, ELIJAH B., farmer, section
29, P. O. Tabor; born September 6, 1804, in Hampshire county, Massachusetts. In 1828
became a resident of the state of New York. In 1846 came to Fremont county. Was married
September 26, 1825, to Miss Elizabeth Frederickson, of Hancock county, Illinois; they are
the parents of ten children, seven now living: Mary S., Sarah, William W., Clarissa, Moses
W., Paula M., and Elijah R. Mr. Gaylord had held various offices of trust. He died August
GEER. EZRA B., P. O. Tabor. Son of Rev.
Heman(sic) Geer; was born at Amherst, Ohio, January 28, 1847. The greater part of his
childhood was spent at Wayne, Ohio. At the age of seventeen he became a student at Oberlin
College. He entered college but was prevented, by ill health, from completing his course.
He had commenced the study of music at an early age, and when he was obliged to abandon
his classical course, he resolved upon resuming again his musical studies. After his
health was somewhat recruited by a trip to Michigan, he entered the conservatory of music
at Oberlin. He spent a year there and then went to Ripley, Brown county, to teach, but at
the end of nine months was again compelled by sickness to stop work. After recruiting a
second time he did some teaching in Kellogsville, Ashtabula county, and then went to
Oberlin again, where he completed the preparatory course in the conservatory. In the fall
of 1871 he came to Tabor, where he remained two years as a teacher of music. He then
resumed his studies at Oberlin, teaching the violin and piano, throughout his course, and
graduated from the conservatory, receiving a diploma for the full course, which consisted
of piano, organ, voice culture and theory. In 1874 the musical department at Tabor was
annexed to the college and he returned to that place as professor of music. In 1876 he was
married to Lucy J. Spees at Tabor, where he still remains in charge of the conservatory.
GASTON, GEORGE B., was born in
Danbury, Tompkins county, New York, November 8, 1814. In 1834 moved near Oberlin, Ohio,
and in 1840 to Indian Territory, as missionary, and was in the employ of the government
for two years. In 1845 Mr. Gaston returned to Oberlin, where he remained until 1848, when
he came to this county, locating in Civil Bend. He came to Tabor in 1852. Mr. Gaston has
been intimately connected with the history of Tabor and Tabor College, to the account of
both of which the reader is referred. He was married February 22, 1837 to Miss Maria
Cumings of Oberlin. They were the parents of three children: Alexander C., Alonzo M., and
Euphelia M., the last two deceased. Mr. Gaston died May 1, 1873, and was buried in the
town he helped to found. His life was one of usefulness, and its memory shall be hallowed
while Tabor and Tabor College endures.
GATES, WILLIAM J., farmer, P. O.
Tabor; born in Richmond, Birkshire county, Massachusetts, May 19, 1815; removed to Loraine
county, Ohio, in 1836, and attended school at Oberlin College for two years. Followed
various occupations until 1853, among others, school teaching, mercantile business, and
photography. Came to Fremont county in 1853. Was married March 4, 1842, to Miss Emily P.
Hall, of Ashtabula county, Ohio, by whom he had eleven children: Emma P., Lucina E.,
Sophia C., Anna C., Henry E., Milo H., Sarah C., and Archie E.; the remainder deceased.
HALLAM, JOHN, farmer, section 10, P. O.
Tabor. Mr. Hallam was born in Lincolnshire, England, August 4, 1831, where he matured and
received his education. He came to the United States and located at Loraine county, Ohio,
in 1852, but the following year came to Fremont county, of which he has since been a
resident. He was married March 6, 1861, to Miss Amelia Woodruff, of Mills county, Iowa, by
whom he has two children: Myra W., and Bessie C. An unfortunate accident - the falling of
a tree - broke the arm of Mr. Hallam so as to necessitate amputation in the spring of
HARDY, WILLIAM R., farmer, section 27,
P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Grayson county, Virginia, April 13, 1816. In 1833 moved to Lee
county, West Virginia, remaining until 1837, when they moved to Platte county, Nebraska,
being one of the pioneer families of that state. In 1840 they moved to Missouri, and in
1851 to Fremont county, Iowa. Was married to Miss Clarinda Hughes, March 18, 1842, who
died March 15, 1847. They were the parents of three children, two now living: Julia and
Alfred O. Mr. Hardy was married to Miss L. Trook April 13, 1848, and was by her the father
of eleven children, nine of whom are now living: William M., George, Henry, Amanda E.,
Matilda, General F., Emma, Douglas, and Albert O.
HORTON, IRA, farmer, section 33, P. O.,
Sidney; born in Stokes county, North Carolina, November 28, 1806, where he matured and was
educated. In 1822 he removed to Highland county, Ohio, remaining until 1855, when he
removed to Hamilton county, Indiana. five years later, in 1860, he came to Iowa, locating
on the farm he now occupies. Mr. Horton was married to Miss Nancy Collins January 14,
1830. She died October 2, 1832, leaving two children: Mary Jane and Nancy. He was married
the second time to Miss Ann Allen, from which union there resulted eight children: Sallie,
Phebe K., Charity F., Jacob W., (died in the Army), Louisa, Oscar F., Amanda and Millissa.
Mr. Horton has held the office of township trustee in his home.
HILL, L. B., farmer, section 1, P. O. Tabor;
born in Huron county, Ohio, June 11, 1831. Was raised on a farm and educated in the common
school. In 1855 came to Tabor, living there two years and then moved to his present home
in 1857. In 1872 went to Colorado and engaged in milling, remaining but one year. Married
March 31, 1856, to Miss Hannah M. Whitney, of Erie county, Ohio. They are the parents of
seven children: Leverett A., Vergil B., Charles, Albert B., Amelia and Esther, and
Clarence W. Drowned in the Nishnabotany in 1877 while bathing. Mr. Hill has held several
offices of trust in his township.
HOLLISTER, ISAAC, P.O. Tabor; born in
Berkshire county, Massachusetts, March 3, 1838. At the age of fifteen he moved to Columbia
county, New York. In 1856 Mr. Hollister came to Tabor to remain but one year, when he
moved to Illinois. He returned to Tabor in 1860. He enlisted in company B, Twenty-ninth
Iowa infantry, August 18, 1862. In 1871 he moved to Cass county, Nebraska, and returned to
Tabor in 1876. He was married December 13, 1860, to Miss Amelia Staples, of Knox county,
Illinois. they have one child: Mertie M., living; and two deceased. Mr. Hollister is a
mail carrier between Tabor and Hillsdale.
HOWARD, H. W., farmer, section 10, P. O.
Tabor; born in Windom county, Vermont, July 12, 1828. Received his education in the common
school. In 1848 moved to Hamlin county, Massachusetts, where he remained until the spring
of 1857, when he came to Fremont county. He was married October 29, 1851, to Miss C. B.
Sherman, of Massachusetts. They have six children, five now living: George S., William W.,
Charles E., Lewis A. and Flora R. Mr. Howard has held various township offices.
HUNTER, J. H., farmer, P. O. Tabor; born
in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, November 16, 1828. In 1834 he moved with his father's
family to the state of New York, where he remained until 1839. In that year he moved to
Oberlin, Ohio. His education was received in the common school and in Oberlin College. In
1849 he moved to Mercer county, Illinois, remaining until 1860, when he came to Fremont
county. He has held various township offices, to the entire satisfaction of his
constituents. He was married April 18, 1858, to Miss Mary Morford, of Mercer county. They
are the parents of five children: Alma M., Henry M., James E., Merwin A. and John L.
HOUGHTON, GEO. S., Prof. of
mathematics and civil engineering in Tabor College; was born in Lexington, Massachusetts,
within half a mile of the first battle ground of the revolutionary war, on the 3rd of
February, 1833. His grandfathers on both sides were soldiers of the revolution. The
earlier years of his life were spent upon the farm, but he early developed a great love
for books and study, and at the age of sixteen years having graduated from the high school
of Bolton, Massachusetts, began teaching. After a course of normal training he was called
at the age of twenty-one to succeed the lamented Dana P. Colburn as professor of
mathematics in the N. E. Normal Institute, at Lancaster, Massachusetts. His associates in
this work were Prof. Wm. Russell in Didactics and English literature; Prof. Henry Kimball
in Latin and Greek; Prof. Sanborn Tenney, (afterwards at Vassar and Williams Colleges) in
natural science; and Prof. Hermann Krusi in German and drawing. This institution was
planned more especially for the training of high school teachers and had been promised
state aid, but political changes among the state authorities prevented the redemption of
the promise, and the school after a life of four years was given up. Prof. Houghton then
removed to Indianapolis, Indiana, where for two years he had charge of the first ward
grammar school. His father had in the meantime removed to Kansas as one of its first
settlers, and Prof. H. followed in August, 1857, to help in the fight for "Free
Kansas." After four years residence, in July 1861, he returned to New England, and
shortly afterwards was offered a captain's commission in the "teachers
regiment," which was to be the twelfth Massachusetts, but there being at that time a
surplus of volunteers and scarcity of arms and other supplies, the governor of the state
withdrew permission to organize the regiment, and declared that the teachers should remain
at home. From this time until 1873, Prof. H. was employed successively as master of the
Merrimack school in Concord, New Hampshire, the Everett school in Boston, (Dorchester
district) and the High street and Day street schools in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. In 1873
he accepted the professorship of theory and practice of teaching in Tabor College, and in
the following year was transferred to the chair of mathematics, which position he
continues (January, 1881), to occupy. He has been often employed as teacher and conductor
of normal institutes in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Iowa. He married in July, 1855,
Miss Amanda Hinckley, of Barnstable, Massachusetts, a graduate of the N. E. Normal
Institute, and a successful teacher, with whom he still lives, and who has borne him six
children, four of whom still survive.
IRWIN, HUGH, farmer, section 26, P. O. Plum
Hollow; born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, October 4, 1812. His father was a
soldier in the war of 1812. While still a small child he moved with his father to Athens
county, Ohio, and became one of the pioneers of that county. He was denied the advantages
of a common school education, for none existed in those days, in the region where he
lived. In 1824 his parents moved to Meigs county, Ohio. In 1838, Mr. Irwin was married, in
that county, to Miss Mary Bolton, who died January 6, 1853, by whom he had become the
father of eight children, some of whom are still living. One son, Wesley, was killed in
the battle of Corinth. August 27, 1864, Mr. Irwin was again married, his wife being her
who was formerly Mrs. Hannah Shober, whose maiden name was Fisher. She married her first
husband, Geo. Shober, December 7, 1847, and came to Fremont county in 1853. She had by her
first husband seven children. By this last union they are the parents of six children,
four of whom are now living: Rebecca, Robert A., Ettie A. and Oran W.
IVORY, H. R., architect and builder, P. O.
Tabor; born in Huron county, Ohio, March 31, 1826. When nineteen years of age he entered
Norwalk Seminary and supported himself by teaching in order to finish his course. He was a
classmate of R. B. Hayes, ex-president. In 1850, Mr. Ivory moved to Marshall, Michigan,
remaining until 1864, when he came to Tabor. He has held several town and city offices
with entire satisfaction. He was married November 2, 1849, to Ann W. Wilson, who died
November 12, 1868. By this union they became the parents of six children: Theodore W.,
Ella A., Minnie A., Judson K., Walter W., and Lucy J., deceased. Mr. Ivory was again
married November 20, 1869, to Miss Mary Smirl, of Wisconsin. they have four children:
Nellie M., Charles R., Cora A., and Anna E. He has been a justice of the peace for
fourteen years, and a notary public for ten, and still holds the latter office. He is
efficient and genial as a public officer, and has the esteem of all who know him.
LEEKA, JOHN, farmer, section 31, P. O. Plum
Hollow; born in Buchanan county, Virginia, February 22, 1802. Came to Iowa locating in Van
Buren county in 1839, but removed to Illinois, Hancock county, 1844; came to Fremont
county in 1848. Mr. Leeka built the first mill in Fremont county. He was married January
17, 1828, to Miss Sarah Carter, by whom he has two children: David - an invalid, and
LADD, B. F., farmer, P. O. Tabor; born in
Kirtland, Lake county, Ohio, August 18, 1823. Was educated in the common school and
Western Reserve Teacher's Seminary. Resided in Lake county until 1854, when he came to
Washington county, Iowa. In 1857 came to Tabor, Fremont county. In 1864 enlisted in the
federal army, serving until the close of the war. He was married November 27, 1854, to
Miss Mary E. Wells, of Kirtland, Ohio. They are the parents of four children, three now
living: Frank L., May and Henry W.
LEEKA, WILLIAM, farmer, section 31, P. O.
Plum Hollow; born in Clinton county, Ohio, June 14, 1830. In 1839 moved with his parents
to Van Buren county, Iowa, and in 1844 to Hancock county, Illinois; in 1846 to Holt
county, Missouri, and in 1848 to Fremont county, Iowa. He has held various township
offices, testifying to his ability and high standing in the community. He is an elder in
the Church of Latter Day Saints. Was married May 28, 1873, to Miss Rachel S. Seward, of
Van Buren county, by whom he has three children: Bismarck, William M., and Clarence O.
LONG, JAMES, farmer, section 16, P. O.
Tabor; born in Cork, Ireland, August 8, 1840. In 1860 he came to the United States and
located in Fremont county, Iowa. He enlisted August 15, 1862, in company E., 29th Iowa
infantry. was in the battles of Helena, Little Rock, and all the other engagements in
which his regiment participated. He was married in 1867, to Miss Mary E. Wilson. They have
six children: Hannah L., Rachel E., Nettie F., Bertha, Robert E., and Tampa A.
McCORMICK, S. P., carpenter, P. O.
Tabor; born in Centre county, Pennsylvania, August 30, 1832, where he remained until 1840.
Began to learn his trade when eighteen years of age. Mr. McCormick came to Fremont county
in the spring of 1857. He enlisted in the Fourth Iowa cavalry, September 1, 1861; was
honorably discharged January 19, 1863. Married Miss Harriet Rhodes, February 16, 1864.
They are the parents of seven children: five living: Mary, Ira, Inez, Mable and an infant.
OTIS, MERRILL, physician and surgeon, P.
O. Tabor; born in Holmes county, Ohio, May 16, 1830. When seven years of age moved with
his father's family to Henry county, Illinois, where he was educated in the common school
and at Oxford Academy. At the age of nineteen years he entered Rush Medical College,
Chicago, and read medicine under the celebrated English physician, Thomas Hall. He
graduated from the St. Joseph College of Physician and Surgeons, and commenced the
practice of medicine in Henry county, Iowa, in 1852. At the commencement of the war with
the confederacy, he offered his services in the volunteer corps, but was rejected because
the quota had been filled. He remained at home and filled the offices of county
supervisor, and filled the office of a member of the state board of the registration, and
had charge of the distribution of the funds to the county - an office filled with entire
satisfaction to all parties concerned. Dr. Otis came to Tabor in the year 1866, and
entered at once upon the practice of medicine. He has been eminently successful as a
practitioner, and owns some of the most valuable sites in the city. Without ostentation,
he has planted himself firmly in this community. His skill as a physician is widely
recognized, and his ability and reliability have alone contributed to this result. His
portrait, which appears in this volume, shows him to be a man of strict integrity, and one
who will ot compromise the right.
ROSSITER, SAMUEL, retired farmer, P. O.
Tabor; born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, March 9, 1804. He was raised on a farm and
educated in the common school. At the age of eighteen, Mr. Rossiter began teaching school,
an occupation he followed more or less continuously for twelve years. In the fall of 1835
he went to Loraine county, Ohio, where he resided for thirty years, following the
occupation of a farmer. In the fall of 1871 he came to Fremont county, and selected Tabor
as his place of residence. He was married February 24, 1835, to Miss Maria Gaston, of
Oberlin, Ohio, formerly of the state of New York. They are the parents of eleven children,
ten of whom are living; some married and living in other states: Samuel G., Henry J.,
Charles W., Mary L., Fred C., Sarah B., Frank N., William H., Edwin J. and Emily F. Mr.
Rossiter has been an active member of the church for forty-four and his wife for fifty-one
ROBERTS, JAMES V., farmer, section 20,
P. O. Plum Hollow; born in Logan county, Ohio, February 6, 1832. His education was
received in the common school. Came to Fremont county in 1855. In 1858 moved to Mills
county to remain until 1860, when he again moved, going to Pottawattomie county. 1866
found him again in Fremont county. During his residence in the other counties he was
engaged in farming and preaching, in which last occupation he was instrumental in
organizing several churches of the faith of the Disciples of Christ. He subsequently
changed his faith and is now an ordained elder of the Latter Day Saints. Mr. Roberts was
married January 12, 1851, to Miss Eleanor W. Laport, of Logan county, Ohio. They are the
parents of fifteen children, twelve of whom are living: Eliza J., William D., Flora B.,
Annie W., Walter S., Charles M., Samuel J., Charlotta, James V., Sally M., Josiah and
RHODE, JOSEPH, farmer, section 5, P. O.
Tabor; born in Wayne county, March 9, 1819. In 1829 he moved with his father's family to
Warren county, Ohio, and two years later, 1831, to Warren county, Indiana. Mr. Rhode came
to Fremont county in 1851, and located near where he now resides. He has been married
three times. In 1839, July 11, to Miss Elizabeth Gray, who died in 1863, November 20,
having been the mother of seven children, six now living: Harriet, Dorothea, Kettie, Sarah
G., Charles, Bessie and Lucy. He was again married February 1, 1866, to Mrs. Mary J. West,
who died of apoplexy April 14, 1872, leaving two children: Edith and Lucy A. His last
marriage was to Mrs. Alice Snow, September 3, 1879. They have one child: Oliver R. Mr.
Rhode has filled various county offices, and in 1877-78 was a member of the State
ROBERTS, A. S., farmer, section 30, P. O.
Plum Hollow; born in Clinton county, Ohio, February 13, 1821. Removed to Ohio in 1833,
where he resided until 1849, when he came to Fremont county, locating near Hamburg. Was
married September 1, 1842, to Miss Sarah Gordor, of Delaware county, Indiana. They are the
parents of ten children, five living: Alexander C., John M., Lewis C., Phebe E. and Jessie
H. Mr. Roberts has held many township offices, and among them that of justice of the peace
for eleven consecutive years, during all of which time he has never had a judgment
RHODE, D. A., farmer, section 5, P. O.
Tabor; born in Wayne county, Indiana, June 2, 1814. In 1826 moved to Warren county, Ohio,
and in the following year back to Indiana. In 1839 moved to Arkansas, and four years later
again returned to the Hoosier State. Came to Fremont county in 1847, locating near
Hamburg. In 1850 he found a suitable location in Ross township, where he has since
resided. He was married April 7, 1837, to Miss Mary McCord. She died in 1858. They were
the parents of seven children: Jonathan, (killed by lightning), Harriet A., Joseph,
(killed by the Indians in May, 1879, on Powder River, Black Hills), Demrius, David, Ellen,
(deceased) and Henry W. He was married in 1860 to Eliza Patent, of Fremont county, who
died in 1874. Married the third time September 30, 1876.
RHODE, JOHN, farmer, section 9, P. O. Tabor;
born in Wayne county, Indiana, September 12, 1817. In 1825, moved to Warren county, Ohio,
remaining until 1839, when he went to Arkansas, and to Indiana in 1843. Came to Fremont
county, Iowa, in 1850. Was married April 5, 1838, to Miss Mary Cobb, who died in August,
1846, leaving three children: D. T., Judith, and Hannah. Was married to Miss Martha Scott,
March 9, 1848, by whom he has eight children: William H., Charlotta A., Jonathan C., John
D., Harriet M., Eliza J., Walter, and one deceased.
RUSSEL, J. D., farmer, section 24, P. O.
Plum Hollow; was born in Monroe county, Indiana, August 26, 1816. In 1824, went to
Tippecanoe county, same state; in 1839 to St. Joseph, Missouri; in 1850, to Atchinson
county, and in 1865, to this county. He was married September 3, 1837, to Miss Lucy A.
Montague; they are the parents of thirteen children, nine of whom are now living: Jerusha
L., Sarah E., Mary J., George W., Lucy A., Martha E., John R., Tabitha E., and Catherine
SMITH, J. W., farmer, P. O. Tabor; born in
Chemung county, New York, June 19, 1799. In 1835 he moved to Madison county, Ohio,
engaging in the milling business. In 1850 came to Fremont county, residing near Percival
until 1874, when he removed to Tabor, where he died December 19, 1874. He was married
August 30, 1836 to Miss Lucretia Woodworth, of Goshen, Connecticut. She died at Tabor,
October 19, 1879, at the advanced age of 79 years. they had three children: Lucius, died
while a babe; Annette, drowned in the Missouri; and Belle E., now a successful teacher in
the schools of Tabor.
SAVAGE, SAMUEL, farmer, section 15, P. O.
Tabor; born in Fulbeck, Lincolnshire, England, August 15, 1835. In 1855 came to America
and located at Pittsfield, Loraine county, Ohio. In the fall of 1860 he came to Fremont
county, and located near Tabor. Enlisted in company B, twenty-ninth Iowa infantry, August
19, 1862, and participated in the numerous battles in which that regiment was engaged.,
was married to Martha F. Frederickson, of Fremont county, November 30, 1865. They have
five children: Edward W., Elmira W., Almetia R., Charles F., and Raymond D.
SMITH, JAMES L., farmer, P. O. Tabor;
born in Herkimer county, New York, October 16, 1817. Educated at Oberlin College, Ohio,
from which he graduated in 1838. Resided in Herkimer and Oneida counties until 1852, when
he came to Fremont county, Iowa. He was a member of the underground railway, and a firm
friend of John Brown. Was married in 1842, to Miss Cordelia Goodrich, of Oneida county,
New York. His children are Harriet and William. Was married again June 27, 1866, to Miss
Julia Case, of Washington, D. C. His farm comprises 200 acres.
SMITH, JOHN R., blacksmith, P. O. Tabor;
born in Rising Sun, Indiana, November 26, 1835. After various removals and residences in
several states, he located in Fremont county in 1858. Enlisted in company A, Fourth Iowa
cavalry, August 28, 1861, and was mustered out September 15, 1865. Was married October 21,
1858, to Miss Sarah McGuire, of Warren county, Illinois, who died March 18, 1861. They
were the parents of two children, one, Henry W., now living. Married Miss Jane Newton, of
Fremont county, Iowa, November 22, 1865. They have three children, two living: William E.
and Newton M.
TODD, JAMES EDWARD, who has held the
position of professor of natural sciences in Tabor College for the last ten years, was
born at Clarksfield, Huron county, Ohio, February 11, 1846. He was so young when his
father, Rev. Jno. Todd, emigrated to Fremont county, that he grew up thoroughly in
sympathy with the great and growing west. The isolation of his childhood, and his
acquaintance with the changes attending the settlement of a wild country, early aroused in
him an interest in the study of nature. Habits of thoughtfulness and study were further
fostered by the educational advantages of his home, his father's library and his mother's
teaching. He even began the study of Greek under her instruction, before he was eight
years of age. He was one of the regular students in Tabor Literary Institute, which in
time became Tabor College. His first experience in teaching common school was at Manti,
then a flourishing Mormon settlement in the eastern part of Fremont county. He had before,
however, taught classes in botany in Tabor Literary Institute. The next spring (1863) he
went to Oberlin, Ohio, to continue his education, relying mainly upon his own exertions
for support, by teaching school vacations, and classes in the preparatory department of
the college. During the latter part of his course he was able to pursue his studies
uninterruptedly. In the spring and summer of 1864 he served with a company of his fellow
students in the "Hundred Days Service," and took part in the defense of
Washington, when it was attacked by Gen. Early. After graduating at Oberlin in 1867, he
went to Union Theological Seminary at New York City, where he spent two years of study.
The vacation of 1868 he spent in Clinton county, New York, under the direction of the
Presbyterian Home Missionary Committee; the next he spent in studies of the middle year of
the theological course at Oberlin. He graduated from the Theological Seminary there in
1870. During his senior year, in addition to his studies, he supplied the churches at
North and South Amherst, Ohio. It has never been, however, his distinct purpose to enter
the ministry. One object in taking the theological course was to become thoroughly posted
in theology in order to consider fairly certain vexed questions regarding science and
religion. An opportunity was now given to pursue more exclusively scientific studies, by a
call to the professorship of natural sciences in Tabor College. To prepare himself for
this with greater thoroughness he spent a year in the Sheffield Scientific School at New
Haven, Connecticut. At the close of the year he continued his Zoological studies with the
United States fish commission, under Profs. Venill and Smith, who had been his instructors
at New Haven. He entered upon his active duties as Professor at Tabor in the fall of 1871,
returning, however, to spend his summers with the United States fish commission on the sea
shore, in 1872 and 1873. The summer of 1875 he spent at the Harvard Summer School of
Geology at Cumberland Gap, Tennessee. His papers presented before the meeting of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Iowa Academy of Sciences, of
which societies he has been a member for several years, have been mainly upon quaternary
geology. He has published a few also on botany which have been well received.
TODD, REV. JOHN, P. O. Tabor; born in
West Hanover, Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, November 10, 1818. He was the second son and
fifth child of Capt. James Todd and Sallie Ainsworth. Of Scotch-Irish Presbyterian
ancestry, he was reared under the ministry of Rev. James Snodgrass, who served as pastor
of West Hanover Presbyterian Church fifty-eight years. In September, 1835, then in his
seventeenth year he left the labors of the farm and repaired to Oberlin to obtain the
educational advantages of that young institution, which was then rapidly rising among the
stumps and forests of northern Ohio. Graduating from Oberlin College in 1841, and from the
Theological Seminary three years later, he was soon after united in marriage to Miss
Martha Atkins, a native of Jefferson, Ashtabula county, but then a resident of Cleveland,
Ohio. In the autumn of 1844 he formally entered upon the work of the ministry in
Clarksfield, Huron county, Ohio, where he continued until the spring of 1850. Taking a
short vacation in the fall of 1848, he, Deacon Josiah B. Hall and Darius P. Matthews,
accompanied George B. Gaston and Samuel H. Adams and their families, in their removal to
Fremont county. After a few weeks exploring in south-western Iowa, in the interests of
education and religion, and attending a mass meeting at the former cabin of the Indian
chief on Wabousa creek, now in Mills county, for the purpose of obtaining a county
organization, he, in company with Deacon Hall, returned to Ohio on horseback and resumed
his charge in Clarksfield. In 1850 he moved with his family to Fremont county, landing on
the first day of July at Lambert's landing. His first public service, after his arrival,
was a Fourth of July address to the Sunday-school in the boiler-shed of a projected steam
saw-mill. In April, 1852, he, with others removed from Civil Bend or Percival, to the
vicinity of Tabor, where has been his residence ever since. A Congregational Church of
eight members was formed in October, 1852, to which, although time has brought great
changes, he still ministers.
VANATTO, BENJ. M., farmer, section 29,
P. O. Tabor; born in Alleghany county, Pennsylvania, August 16, 1813, where he received
his education in the common school. In 1835 he moved to Guernsey county, Ohio, and in 1841
to Hocking county, same state. In 1865 he moved to Worth county Missouri, and in the
following year to Fremont county, Iowa. He was married November 24, 1840, to Miss Jane
McDonald, of Washington county, Pennsylvania. They are the parents of five children:
Benjamin and William M., both of whom died in the army; Elizabeth E., Hugh C. and John M.
WOODRUM, WESLEY, farmer, section 18,
P.O. Plum Hollow; born in Putnam county, Indiana, September 2, 1841. when he was a small
child parents moved to New Carthage, Missouri. In 1855, he came with his parents to
Fremont county, and located near Fremont City. He was married October 22, 1863, to Miss
Prudence Baxter, of Fremont county, formerly of Holt county, Missouri. they are the
parents of two children: Envrista E. and Estella O. Mr. Woodrum commanded the respect of
all who knew him. He was a member of the Christian church for eleven years, and an elder
for six. He died October 7, 1878
WEST, ARTHUR T., merchant, P. O. Tabor;
born in Pittsfield, Loraine county, Ohio, June 24, 1853. Came with his parents to Tabor in
1855. His mother died when he was two years of age, and when young West had become nine
years of age he lost his father by death. He was educated at Tabor and Oberlin Colleges,
leaving Oberlin in 1871. He then went to Canada and entered the engineer corps of the
Canada Southern R. R., a position he held for one year. On the death of his stepmother, in
1872, he returned to Tabor, and engaged on a farm and as a clerk until 1875. In 1876, he
engaged on his own responsibility in the mercantile business. Mr. West was married April
22, 1878, to Miss Sarah Savage, of Fremont county, Iowa. By this union they have one
child: Alice L.
WEBB, L. E., farmer, section 2, P. O. Tabor;
born in Columbia, county, Ohio, January 25, 1833. In 1847, he moved to Huron county, where
he was educated in Norwalk Academy. Came to Tabor in 1855. He has held the offices of
justice of the peace and township clerk for five years. Married December 25, 1856, to Miss
Elizabeth Hill, of Tabor. They are the parents of six children: three living: Edgar H.,
Adella M. and Bertha E.
WOODS, H. T., farmer, section 3, P. O.
Tabor; born in Winnebago county, Illinois, July 18, 1848. In 1857, came to Iowa, being
then nine years of age. He was educated at Tabor College. In 1874, he removed to Weeping
Water to engage in business, but returned in 1877. He was married November 25, 1874, to
Miss Annie Glover.
WOODS, DANIEL E., farmer, P. O. Tabor;
born in Glover, Orleans county, Vermont, February 5, 1817. Raised as a farmer and educated
in the common school. Moved to Winnebago county in 1846, and resided there until 1857,
when he moved to Tabor, Iowa. Married December 15, 1840, to Miss Hannah H. Tyler,of
Orleans county, Vermont. They have five children: Marvine E., Mary E., Herbert T., Eva L.,
and Katie M. Mr. Woods died July 4, 1878, and ended a life of usefulness and humanity.
WILL, CHARLES P., harness maker, P. O.
Tabor; was born in Peoria county, Illinois, May 29, 1847. His father died when young Will
was but two years of age. At the age of sixteen he enlisted in company M, 11th Illinois
cavalry, and remained until the close of the war. After numerous changes in his residence
he came to Tabor in 1876. Was married December 17, 1874, to Miss America L. Templeton, of
Glenwood. They are the parents of three children: Roy T., Carl M. and Jessie L. Mr. Will
is clerk of Ross township, and a member of the city council of Tabor.
WEMPLE, E. S., farmer, P. O. Tabor; born
in New York City, December 25, 1841. His mother died when he was but a babe. When twelve
years old he came to Bureau county, Illinois. In 1855 came to Iowa locating in Grand
Mound, Clinton county, and was railroad agent, express agent, and postmaster at that
place. He enlisted in 26th Iowa infantry, August 12, 1862. Was appointed captain of the
company on the 26th of the following month. For a history of the battles in which he was
engaged, see account of the 26th Iowa. Came to Tabor in 1874. He was married February 19,
1875, to Miss C. A. Floyd of Tabor. They re the parents of two children: George S. and
Herbert. they have one adopted child. Mr. Wemple holds the office of justice of the peace.
WILLIAMS, D. M., druggist, P. O. Tabor;
born in Cedar county, Missouri, August 8, 1851. In 1853 his parents moved to Mills county,
where the youth of Mr. Williams was spent. He was educated at Tabor College, and at
Bryant's Commercial College, from which he graduated in 1872. Came to Tabor in 1876, and
entered upon his present occupation. Was married to Miss Elizabeth Caft, of Warren county,
Indiana March 2, 1879. They have one child: Fern.