Swanage Bay on a calm, warm, sunny afternoon.
Three pictures of old Swanage, the first picture is The Square, the home of Swanage Museum and Heritage Centre, the second is Cliff Place a narrow passageway that once lead down to the beach. The third picture is of Victoria Terrace, High Street which is amost opposite The Square. The Ship Hotel, still a popular watering place, can be seen in the distance.
Two pictures of the Swanage pier, the first picture, a painting, is dated around 1900, the second shows the Bournemouth steamer tied up is a little earlier around 1896. The third picture is of The Narrows , a section of the High Street a little west of the town hall. The area suffered some bomb damage during the war which allowed for some widening when rebuilt.
The first picture is of The Anchor Post Inn, one of, or possibly even the oldest inn in Swanage, also in the High Street close to the junction with Institute Road.The centre and right pictures are of Church Hill.
The Mill Pond is in Church Hill, one of the oldest parts of Swanage and remains very picture postcard even now. Also in Church Hill is the Tithe Barn (not pictured) formerly the home of Swanage Museum, the Grade II listed building dates from the 18th century and is now in private hands.
Standing near the tip of Durlston Head is this incredible three metre diameter Globe, which weighs in at 40-ton. Made from limestone, it is engraved with an 1880s map of the world. It was commissioned by George Burt. In the background is the last sea going paddle steamer the Waverley. The Centre picture is clock tower near Peveril Point. The tower, commemorating the Duke of Wellington, designed by Arthur Ashpital, was built in 1854 at the southern approach to the old London Bridge. Within 10 years it became an obstruction to traffic on the busy bridge and had to be removed. It was re-erected 1867-68 on its present site at the southern end of the bay on the sea front.
The last picture is a postcard of Swanage bay.
Corfe Castle's market Square from 1910.
It is said that many of the houses in the villlage of Corfe were built with stone from the castle ruins.
Corfe Castle was bought by the Lord Chief Justice, Sir John Bankes in 1635. It remained in the Bankes family until 1982 when it was bequeathed as part of the Kingston Lacy and Corfe Castle Estate to the National Trust by Mr.H J R Bankes. It was demolished by the Parliamentarians after a siege during the Civil War in 1646.The Bankes family were allowed to leave the Castle unharmed.