Bridlington Picture page

Bridlington


In the East Riding of Yorkshire



Don and Clarice

Donald Jack and Clarice June 1999.

The old farmhouse in Bridlington that Donald Jack now calls his home.
Tucked away from the main roads, High Green is a little haven of peace and quiet most of us aspire to.


Priory Church
High Green Farmhouse
Early picture of the Priory Church

Three old photographs of the Priory Church at different periods in time, the oldest on the right. In the centre picture, taken from High Green, the farmhouse and storage barn alongside it have survived almost unchanged. Gone are the groundfloor bay windows of the farmhouse and gone are the groundfloor windows from the barn.


Priory Church 2000
Priory Church 2000
Two pictures of the Priory Church taken on a beautiful (but chilly) day in early 2000. The two towers were extended in 1862 The shorter tower was built in the 13th century. The tall tower was restored and rebuilt in 1876 in the style you see today.

Over a two year period from 2004 the Church's organ was dismantled and restored, the pipes, some metal, some wood and some reed were either repaired or replaced dependent on the condition. The Priory website has more information on the historic organ, the bells and the choir which has a history dating back to 1450.


Bridlington Old Town
Bridlington Old Town
Bridlington Old Town

The Old Town High Street and Market Place, spring 2001. Outside the Pack Horse the stocks and pillories are well maintained and the area retains its Olde World feel. The variety of style and age of the buildings adds colour and charm to this preservation area.


Flamborough Head
Flamborough Head
Flamborough Head

Autumn 2000, Flamborough Head in all it's glory. One of my favourite places and a must each time I visit Bridlington which alas, is never often enough. Gone was the sunshine on this day, replaced by angry clouds and a forboding grey-black sky.


Flamborough Lighthouse
Old Flamborough Lighthouse
The two Flamborough lighthouses. The original old beacon light tower, dates from around 1674, the only known example in England. Recent restoration work has cast doubt on whether a fire was ever actually lit! It was built after over 170 ships had been wrecked off the headland in 36 years and stands 78ft tall.

The new lighthouse stands 88ft. tall and was built by John Matson of Bridlington in 1806. In 1925 it was made taller to fit a new 15 foot lens and converted from oil to electricity in 1940. As with all lighthouses around the coast it is owned and maintained by Trinity House. Guided tours are available from April until October.


Bridlington Quay
Bridlington Quay
Bridlington Quay

"Bridlington Quay is in the parish of Bridlington, one mile to the SE. of that place. It is a pleasant and healthful sea-bathing place, to which, for the last seventy years, there has been a considerable resort of genteel company in the summer season. The Quay constitutes of itself a small town, and has a brisk and handsome appearance... "

Excerpt from "History, directory & gazeteer, of the county of York" written in 1823 by Edward Baines, read more from the article at the Genuki website here very intersting reading...


Blue Sea
Quayside
Bridlington Promenade

Sea front and quay...


Quayside
Quayside
Quayside

"The harbour presents the striking phenomenon of an ebbing and flowing spring of fine fresh water. This copious fountain was discovered in 1811, by the late Benjamin Milne, Esq. collector of the customs at this port. Mr. Milne, whose public spirit and enterprise were most exemplary, with a view to improve the harbour, bored through the alluvium, which was found to consist of a bed of compact clay, twenty-eight feet thick, and a bed of cretaceous flinty gravel, fifteen feet thick, beneath which was the solid chalk; on the aperture being made, a fine column of fresh water rose with the flow of the tide, and at high water it gushed out in a copious stream; as the tide receded the newly-discovered spring gradually fell, and at low water it disappeared. This discovery, so important to the town and port of Bridlington, was made on the 5th of July, 1811"

More from "History, directory & gazeteer, of the county of York"


High Green Farmhouse
High Green
High Green

Three lovely pictures of High Green taken at various times of the year but not necessarily the same year. The first is of course the farmhouse, the second is untouched snow across the green. The third is of the houses on Penfold Street, the opposite side of High Green to the farmhouse. The row of houses is about as far away from the traditional terrace as you can get, variety being the spice of Yorkshire life.


Table of Contents.
Swanage Picture page 1, 2.
Buntingford Picture page.
Westbury Picture page.


Return to the top of the page