SHAFFER: The Shaffer Public Free School was in the Sunshine
Community. J. G. Martin was employed on 2 October, 1879, to
teach in the Shaffer School No. 22 for four months by the trustees T.
P. Smith, C. C. Jones, and F. M. Kolb. Mrs. Orpha Jane
Blackman Ridenhower taught in the Shaffer Public Free School in
1878-79 with an annual salary of $35 for a school term from November
through January. This school was about eleven miles northwest of Hamilton
and five miles southeast of Carlton.