RAILROADS

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

RAILROADS

hpl11.jpg (22505 bytes)

RAILROAD MOTOR CAR, HAMILTON, TEXAS

SN & ST RAILROAD CAR

Location of SN & ST Depot--between the home of Frances Marion Graves and St. Mary's Episcopal Church--or between West Ross and West Henry Streets

SN & ST DEPOT IN HAMILTON

 

hamtrain.jpg (23315 bytes)

EARLY TRAIN IN HAMILTON

     

The first railroad in Hamilton County was the Texas Central Railroad (Katy) which arrived 11 November, 1880, in Hico.

The first railway to arrive in the town of Hamilton was the Stephenville North and South Texas Railway Company --(SN & ST) which  had been  organized and chartered on 4 February, 1907. The first train from Stephenville arrived in Hamilton on Christmas Day, 1907. This railroad connected Hamilton and Carlton with Stephenville so that Hamilton was no longer dependent on transfer of goods via wagons from Hico and Gatesville. This connected Hamilton to all of the major markets in the United States. 

The Cotton Belt Railroad was completed in 1911 connecting Hamilton with Comanche and Gatesville. The first train from Gatesville arrived on 14 February, 1911, and the first train from Hamilton to Comanche ran on 3 September, 1911.  The Cotton Belt tracks were abandoned on February 5, 1941.


LAST COTTON BELT TRAIN IN HAMILTON

 

 

 

Home ] Up ] TEXAS CENTRAL RAILROAD ] STEPHENVILLE NORTH & SOUTH TEXAS RAILWAY ] COTTON BELT RAILROAD ] LAST COTTON BELT TRAIN IN HAMILTON ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress