JUDGE PRICE MONROE RICE
HE SERVED HAMILTON
P. M. Rice was educated in the local public schools and
graduated from the law department of the University of Texas.
His public career began with the county chairmanship of
the Democratic pay in 1907-1909; county attorney; city alderman at
different times from 1915-1920. In 1922 owing to his advocacy of an
adequate water supply, he was elected mayor and during his administration
the city lake was built and four miles of water mains were laid. Much was
done to improve the town’s sanitary conditions, a notable incident being
the removal of the stock pens out of the city limits.
He resigned the mayor’s office in January, 1925, to
accept the position of county judge, to which he had been elected. Highway
66 [now US 281] was designated and Hamilton County was the first county
through which it was entirely graded by the county commissioners.
Highway 36 was designated east and west and the eastern
portion graded by the county. Three concrete bridges were constructed by
appropriations which he personally sought. The present courthouse was
He voluntarily retired in 1933 and resumed the practice
of law. In 1929 Judge Rice was married to Cornelia Collier, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Collier of Coleman County.
HAMILTON COUNTY NEWS, Vol. VIII, No. 7
THE CARLTON CITIZEN, Vol. 30, No. 23
Friday, June 24, 1938
W. F. Billingslea, Publisher, Hamilton
Judge Price Monroe Rice was born
February 23, 1881, and died April 13, 1962, at the age of 81. He was
a son of Rufus Price Rice and Martha Ann (Shockley) Rice, who were married
in May, 1979, at Lamkin. Judge Rice married Cornellia Collier.
Both were buried in the Graves-Gentry Cemetery in Hamilton.