click picture to see a larger view.
The Atkinson Hotel, owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs.
C. C. Atkinson, is one of the pioneer institutions of Hamilton. C. C.
Atkinson is the son of Mrs. A. A. Atkinson and was born in Hamilton. Mrs.
Atkinson is the daughter of Rev. J. Toland of Jonesboro. She is a
descendant of the noted Bullock family of South Carolina which has
produced a number of statesmen and one president of the United States. Mr.
and Mrs. Atkinson have spend the greater part of their lives in the hotel
business. Their first venture in serving the public was in the old Stidham
home in the west part of town. They converted it into a hotel and served
the traveling public so well that it was soon necessary for them to seek
larger quarters. They moved to the old College Hotel on the first day of
October, 1909, and on October 13th, the building burned and destroyed
practically everything they possessed. They operated a private boarding
house until the Collier Hotel was built. Later they established the
Atkinson Hotel in the Ernest Williams home. Their business continued to
increase and it became necessary to secure more room, hence they built the
present hotel buildings, consisting of 30 modern rooms with hot and cold
running water and Sealy mattresses and other modern conveniences.
The excellent food served at the Atkinson Hotel has
caused many traveling men to reach Hamilton in time to spend the night and
partake of the home-like meals.
Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson have four sons and four
HAMILTON COUNTY NEWS, Vol. VIII, No. 7
THE CARLTON CITIZEN, Vol. 30, No. 23
Friday, June 24, 1938
W. F. Billingslea, Publisher, Hamilton
See Also: Hamilton
County News, June 29, 1934