The first library which served Hamilton was a circulating library
started here in 1913. Members of the committee which selected books the
were Mrs. S. R. Allen, chairman: Mrs. John Eidson, Mrs. C. C. Baker, Sr.,
and Miss Vivian Graves (now Mrs. J. E. Moore).
A woman came through Hamilton organizing the libraries, arranging for
50 books to the town. The plan was for towns to trade books annually, thus
circulating the library. At the end of the year the woman was not to be
found, and the circulation was never carried out.
As soon as it was learned that the library was not to be circulated as
planned, a group of women met and organized the Hamilton Public Library,
which is still in operation here with almost 100 members. Mrs. Harold
Stroud is now president and the library is located in the back of the
Hamilton National Bank building. Miss Ruth Secrest is the present
The first president of the Hamilton Public Library was Mrs. C. C.
Baker, Sr. The books were kept in the K. of P. Hall [Knights
of Pythias], and there were so few of them that they were stacked
on a chair and kept in a closet. There were 25 members, who paid dues of
It was later moved to Dr. Hobdy’s office over the J. T. James Drug
Store, and Mrs. Hobdy was president.
The Priscilla Club, which had been accumulating books for some years in
Hamilton, donated all they had to the library.
Early presidents other than Mrs. Baker and Mrs. Hobdy were Mrs. W. T.
Bolding, Mrs. J. E. Moore, Mrs. John R. Eidson, Mrs. J. A. Eidson, Mrs.
Sarah James, and Mrs. C. B. James. Among later presidents were Mrs. Brents
Witty, Mrs. Travis Franks, Mrs. Orville Davis, Mrs. Hogue Williams, and
the present president, Mrs.. Harold Stroud.