COX, R. Y.

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

R. Y. COX  --1897

R. Y. Cox of Hico came to Hamilton County about 1877, according to the 1897 Herald.  He first settled near Carlton and went into the sheep business, but later moved to Hico and became prominent as a lumber dealer.  His trade extended into Erath, Bosque, Comanche, and Coryell Counties.  In one shipment in 1897 he received 100 car loads of lumber and shingles, which he stored under sheds at his lumber yard.  At one time he operated the largest lumber yard in this section, having one shed 115 feet long, 20 feet wide, two stories high; another 275 feet long, 20 feet wide,  two stories high; and another 115 feet long, 32 feet wide, one story high.  He had on hand at one time a million feet of lumber.  Hico, where he was located was called "the business emporium" of this section.

 

The County News has been informed that he had a son Robert, who was, a few years ago, an instructor in the University of Texas.

PAGE 20

 

PIONEER EDITION

HAMILTON COUNTY NEWS, Vol. VIII, No. 7

THE CARLTON CITIZEN, Vol. 30, No. 23

Friday, June 24, 1938

W. F. Billingslea, Publisher, Hamilton County, TX

 

 

 
Home ] Up ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress