HAMILTON COTTON OIL MILL
JOSEPH SAMUEL MILLER 'JOE'
Located in the Northeast Section of Hamilton. Phone 115.
The only mill of its kind in Hamilton County. Manager, Travis Franks.
The Hamilton Cotton Oil Mill was built in 1910 by C. H.
Bencini, district manager for Swift and Company. It was bought by its
present owners from Swift and Co. in 1925. Its president, J. S. Poston is
a ranch man known throughout this section of the state for the quality of
stock he breeds. He is a native of Hamilton County. He is an ardent
churchman and has served on the City Council and School Board. C. B.
James, vice-president, is the son of a pioneer banker and is himself a
president of one of the leading banks of this part of the state. The
secretary-treasurer, Travis A. Franks, came to Hamilton county from
Gatesville in 1917 as scale clerk at the Hamilton Oil Mill. His business
career was interrupted by the World War [WW I]. He enlisted in 1918 at the
age of 18 and was stationed at Ft. McArthur, Waco and, returned to the
mill in taking the position of cashier and became the manager in 1925. He
is a Mason of the local lodge and a Shriner from the Waco lodge.
No write-up of the industries of Hamilton would be
complete without a history of this splendid mill. It employs more labor
man power when operating than any other business in Hamilton county. It
has four presses that are capable of turning out 50 tons of cotton seed a
day, employing 50 men 24 hours of the day. The gigantic machinery and
equipment would total to an investment of about 100,000 dollars if
purchased at this day and time. They manufacture cotton seed oil, cotton
seed meal and cake, hulls and linters and also handle domestic coal and
The present stockholders are all men of high standards
and have the interest of Hamilton county at heat, and are active in all
The Hamilton County News, Vol. IV, Number
Historical and Trading Expansion Issue
W. F. Billingslea, Editor-Publisher
Subscription Price ONE YEAR ..$1.00
June 29, 1934