CAPT. & MRS. C. E. HORTON
[CAPERS E. HORTON &
NANCY (SCOGGINS) HORTON]
In every town or community there are people, who by
reason of their personality and interest in all the activities of life,
have been loved and honored by their friends and families through a long
and varied life of usefulness and happiness. Among such people are Mr. and
Mrs. C. E. Horton.
Mr. & Mrs. Horton met and married in Hamilton and
have never made a home anywhere else. Mr. Horton has been one of the
active business men of the town for over an half century. He has seen
Hamilton grow from a village to a small city with modern habits and
conveniences. His ability to put things over was hard to beat. It has been
said of him that a subscription list in his hands either to build a
railroad or a church was as good as raised.
Mr. Horton came to Texas in 1876 from Alabama and has
always been in the forefront of important affairs in Hamilton until the
last few years since his retirement from strenuous business activities.
Mrs. Nancy Scoggins Horton is a native of Missouri but
has lived in Hamilton since infancy. She has been equally as active as her
husband in all things for the betterment of her home town. Her parents
were Mr. and Mrs. D. D. Scoggins, but neither of them were Texans.
She and Mr. Horton have a delightful home where young
and old alike love to gather to be near one of the best loved couples of
The site of the present Horton Pioneer Park was first
used by the Wool Growers Association for their annual picnic and
festivities. Mr. Horton was appointed custodian of the park by the stock
holders and eventually the park was named for him.
In 1933 the Hamilton Garden Club sponsored a number of
improvements and have staged two very successful May Fetes on that site.
The park is open to the public for their pleasure.
The Hamilton County News, Vol. IV, Number
Historical and Trading Expansion Issue
W. F. Billingslea, Editor-Publisher
Subscription Price ONE YEAR ..$1.00
June 29, 1934