HAMILTON COUNTY SCHOOLS
It is said that the first school taught in the town of
Hamilton was under a liveoak tree. Be that as it may, one of the first
county school teachers, Ann Whitney, sacrificed her life to protect her
pupils. Her act set the high mark forever for teachers of Hamilton
schools. It has been their goal ever since. Now Hamilton County has a
school system equal to any in the state.
The Hamilton city schools have splendid, well equipped
buildings. The auditorium and administration building, High school and one
ward building are on the west side of town and one ward school is on the
east side. The entire city school system is well supplied with the latest
school needs and the extensive playgrounds are furnished with the best
play apparatus to be supplied.
Cecil Nix, one of the leading educators of the state, is
superintendent of the Hamilton schools. O. R. Williams, another Hamilton
County educator is superintendent of the Hamilton County system of
schools. The Hamilton, Hico, and Carlton High schools are affiliated with
the state university.
The Hamilton city schools have a faculty of 20 teachers.
The Hico schools have 13 teachers in its faculty and Carlton has ten
Gap, and Fairy each have a 6 teacher
faculty. They carry on high school work but are not affiliated with the
state university. There are six other one-teacher schools in the county. [Blue
Ridge had a 3-year high school and a 4-teacher school.]
The Hamilton County News, Vol. IV, Number
Historical and Trading Expansion Issue
W. F. Billingslea, Editor-Publisher
Subscription Price ONE YEAR ..$1.00
June 29, 1934