MARTIN'S GAP

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

MARTINíS GAP

MARTINíS GAP,  now called Fairy, is thirteen miles northeast of Hamilton. James Martin, an Indian fighter, was an early settler who drove cattle through the gap in the mountains. Martinís Gap has an elevation of 1211 feet. In the mid 1860's James "Jim" Martin was killed by the Indians and buried at the foot of the mountain. The name of the community was changed from Gap to Martinís Gap in his memory. A state historical marker denotes his burial spot with the following words:

"Martinís Gap

Mountain burial site for frontiersman Jim Martin, killed here by Indians in the 1860's when the county had fewer than 500 people. Gap bore his name for 20 years."

 

 

 
Home ] Up ] MARTIN'S GAP MISSIONARY  BAPTIST CHURCH ] MARTIN'S GAP METHODIST MISSION ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright © March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress