MARTINíS GAP MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
Fairy Baptist Church began
as the Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church on 15 April, 1883, in
the North Meridian Creek School house by people who lived in the
vicinity of North Meridian Creek. The organizing presbytery
was composed of the following elders: J. W. Staton, Moderator, T.
H. Green, Secretary, and W. D. Anderson. The church chose the
name Mt. Pleasant and chose J. W. Staton to be its first
pastor. Charter members were Henry Evans, J. R. Williamson, Sarah Williamson,
J. P. Drennan, C. C. Drennan, G. W. Smith, Mary A. Smith, Betty A. Smith, and
Mary A. Evans.
Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church
was dismissed from the Bosque River Baptist Association on 21 October,
1887, when that association was dissolved.
Monthly services were held in the Mt. Pleasant
School House until 1 January, 1901. Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist
Church had changed its name to Martinís Gap Missionary Baptist
Church by 7 September, 1888, when it was admitted to the Hamilton
County Baptist Association. When the report was sent for the
annual association meeting in 1921, the name of this church had been
changed to Fairy Baptist Church.
Early pastors included:
N. M. Leslie,
G. W. Herrington,
W. N. White, 1894--1896
F. L. DuPont.,
Early church clerks were:
A. C. Leslie,
J. L. Kolb,
J. W. Talley,
A. C. Woodard,
C. P. Woodard--1897--1899
Early messengers to the annual
1888--N. M. Leslie and Henry
1889--N. M. Leslie, Henry Evans,
and S. C. McCarty
1890--Henry Evans and T. M.
1891--Henry Evans and Thomas
1892--T. M. Tyler
1893--J. W. Moore, J. M. Burney, and
A. C. Woodard
Burney, A. C. Woodard, I. F. Johnson
1895--B. F. J. Davis, T. B. Rogers, and
J. M. Burney
1896--B. F. J. Davis, A. C.
Woodard, J. C. McNiel, W. M. Joyner, and J. M. Burney; 1897--J.
M. Burney, C. P. Woodard, and J. T. Talley
1898--J. M. Burney, J. T.
Tally, John Burney, and Sisters J. M. Burney, John Burney, and
S. L. Columbus
1899--Rev. Steven Anderson Rains
and Brethren J. D. Branham, J. W. Moore, William Gist, C. P. Woodward,
and J. M. Burney