LIVE OAK SCHOOL
The first Live Oak School adjacent to Live Oak
Cemetery occupied land given by J. M. and Permelia Owens in
1877 for both the cemetery and the school. This Live Oak School was
located about half way between Ohio on
Plum Creek and Carterís
Mill on the Cowhouse. The Live Oak Cemetery was
one of the first community cemeteries in Hamilton County. Live
Oak Cemetery is on the west side of CR 424 north of FM 1241. Live
Oak is ten miles southeast of Hamilton.
Joseph Hardy Dixon, a school teacher from Alabama,
was probably the first teacher in this Live Oak School. For two
years Mr. Dixon walked eight and a half miles from his cabin at Blue
Ridge to the West Point School.
Mr. Dixon then preempted
land near the Murphree Cemetery
and built a cabin. Building the
cabin took all of his available funds so he had to continue to walk eight
miles daily to teach at Live Oak for two years. On 13 September,
1879, the Hamilton County Commissioners Court signed a contract
with Joseph Hardy Dixon to teach five months at Live Oak
with a salary of $14.00 per month, and one dollar per month for each child
under eight or over fourteen. Trustees of Live Oak School in 1879
were W. W. White, A. J. Gilbreath, and Evan Brooks.
The second Live Oak School was on the Old
Evant Highway across from Parsleys Crossing where
Primitive Baptist Church stood. In 1911 seven grades were taught at
Live Oak School. In 1924-25 school board members were A. H.
Summerford, D. D. Roten, and Sam Hill. The teachers were A.
W. Ellis and Miss Emily Keller. Live Oak School
consolidated with Blue Ridge
in the mid 1920's.