EARLY SETTLERS AT FAIRY
Battle and Sallie Fort came to Martinís Gap
in 1873 where they patented several sections of land so that he could sell
small tracts to pioneers. Battle Fort and his daughter, Fairy taught the first
school at Fairy in their log cabin home. Capt. Battle Fort
was a former mayor of Madison, MS, and Sallie Collier Fort
was a daughter of Governor Henry Watkins Collier of Alabama. Fairy
Fort Phelps never weighed over fifty pounds yet she lived to a ripe
Before 1880 Mr. Giraud, a Frenchman purchased a
ranch east of Fairy. The location was chosen because the mountains
in the area resembled the mountains around Mr. Giraudís home in France.
Mr. Giraud ordered lumber from France cut to
the same specifications as his home there. When the lumber arrived from France,
it was hauled by ox-drawn wagons to Hamilton
pegs held this house together. The Hamilton County version of this
two-story house, was an exact replica of his home in France.
Arriving in Hamilton County in 1880, Milton
Osburn Gleason soon purchased the Giraud Ranch of 6,000 acres
from Wilson Survey near Fairy for $8 and acre. Gleason
installed a fence to contain his sheep. Neighboring cattlemen were
irate and attempted to force him to leave until they discovered that he
was a Mason. Wolves and coyotes made it essential for the
employment of herdsmen to protect sheep.
Leander J. "Lee" and Ella Patterson
were pioneers in this community. In 1887 they gave land for a school
building "as long as it was used for educational purposes, and exempt
from a dance hall." In 1888 the Pattersons gave land two acres
of land to be used for a grave yard.
George and Malinda Goyne came to settle on a
farm east of Fairy in 1880. George was an elder in the Fairy
Methodist Church when it was formed in 1886.
Some of the families who lived in the Fairy community
were: Ellis and Addie Adams, E. C. and Esther Allison,
Sam and Mary Battershell, T. L. and Beulah Betts, Earl and
Ida Cable, W. F. and Blanche Clayton, J. N. and
Martha Crow, R. W. and Nadine Cunningham, Henry and Hattie
Davis, Olga and Della Mae Duncan, Dennis G. and Florence
Manning Harris, W. F. and Ella L. Herricks, E. M. and Jewell
Hoover, Andrew and Lee Hutton, Mr. and Mrs. W. L.
Jones, J. W. and Georgia Little, J. C. and Ida Massengale,
Bill and Nadine McGlothlin, T. R. and Myrtle
Parks, M. E. and
Nora Parks, H. S. and Ora Pitts, J. O. and Eunice
Richardson, H. G. and Alberta Shields, Frank and Maggie
Simons, B. T. and Liza Smith Trantham, and B. L. and Carry
In the 1920's the town of Fairy had two general
merchandise stores, a garage, four churches, two physicians-- Dr. O. J.
Colwick and Dr. Samuel Wade Young, a cotton gin, a school, a
Masonic lodge, a hotel, and a blacksmith shop. Fairy was the scene of
battles over land rights between cattle and sheep ranchers. J. B. C.
Dickerson was one of the first to bring sheep to the area. Whenever he
rode horseback, he took his two children with him--one in front and the
other behind him. His children were his protection from being shot because
he believed that no one would want to shoot a child.