FAIRY BAPTIST CHURCH

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

FAIRY BAPTIST CHURCH
MT. PLEASANT MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
MARTINíS GAP MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

2003
Picture Shared by Rosalind Ray

fbc_1.jpg (39295 bytes)

1997

fbc-2.jpg (35032 bytes)

1997

Fairy Baptist Church began as the Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church on 15 April, 1883, in the North Meridian Creek School house by people who lived in the vicinity of North Meridian Creek. The organizing presbytery was composed of the following elders: J. W. Staton, Moderator, T. H. Green, Secretary, and W. D. Anderson. The church chose the name Mt. Pleasant and chose J. W. Staton to be its first pastor. Charter members were Henry Evans, J. R. Williamson, Sarah Williamson, J. P. Drennan, C. C. Drennan, G. W. Smith, Mary A. Smith, Betty A. Smith, and Mary A. Evans. Monthly services were held in the Mt. Pleasant School House until 1 January, 1901. Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church became Martinís Gap Missionary Baptist Church by 7 September, 1888, when it was admitted to the Hamilton County Baptist Association. When the report was sent for the annual association meeting in 1921, the name of this church had been changed to Fairy Baptist Church

Dr. and Mrs. Samuel Wade Young
gave land for to the Fairy Baptist Church in May, 1901. Fairy Baptist Church is the only church in Fairy in 1998 and its pastor, Rev. Bob Ray has been pastor of the same Hamilton County church longer than any of his contemporary pastors.

Early pastors included:

N. M. Leslie, 1888--1889

G. W. Herrington, 1890--1893

W. N. White, 1894--1896

F. L. DuPont, 1897--1898

Early church clerks were:

A. C. Leslie, 1888--1889

J. L. Kolb, 1890--1891

J. W. Talley, 1892

A. C. Woodard, 1893--1896

C. P. Woodard--1897--1899

Early messengers to the annual association were:

1888-- N. M. Leslie and Henry Evans

1889-- N. M. Leslie, Henry Evans, and S. C. McCarty

1890- -Henry Evans and T. M. Tyler

1891-- Henry Evans and Thomas Jones

1892- -T. M. Tyler

1893- -J. W. Moore, J. M. Burney, and A. C. Woodard

1894- -J. M. Burney, A. C. Woodard, I. F. Johnson

1895-- B. F. J. Davis, T. B. Rogers, and J. M. Burney

1896- -B. F. J. Davis, A. C. Woodard, J. C. McNiel, W. M. Joyner, and J. M. Burney; 1897--J. M. Burney, C. P. Woodard, and J. T. Talley

1898- -J. M. Burney, J. T. Tally, John Burney, and Sisters J. M. Burney, John Burney, and S. L. Columbus

1899-- Rev. Steven Anderson Rains and Brethren J. D. Branham, J. W. Moore, William Gist, C. P. Woodward, and J. M. Burney.

See USGS Maps

FAIRY

FAIRY BAPTIST CHURCH Centennial

 
Home ] Up ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright © March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress