FAIRVIEW BAPTIST CHURCH

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

 FAIRVIEW BAPTIST CHURCH

Click pictures to see larger view.

fairview.jpg (17917 bytes)

1997

fairviw2.jpg (23428 bytes)

1997

fairviw3.jpg (3778 bytes)

1997

FOUNDED: 1922/1921

Admitted to HCBA: 12 August, 1897
Re-Admitted to HCBA; 27 August, 1924
Re-Admitted to HCBA: 29 August, 1928
Compiled by Elreeta Crain Weathers

 

 Minutes of the Hamilton County Baptist Association document the existence of Fairview Baptist Church from 1897 to about 1914 and again from 1922 to the present. Fairview Baptist Church was admitted to the Hamilton County Baptist Association on 12 August, 1897, 27 August, 1924, and 29 August, 1928.  Fairview Baptist Church met in the Fairview School until 1958 when the church was given permission to tear down the old school and to use lumber from the school to build a church building between the school building and US 84. 

According to Arvord M. Abernethy, noted historian of both Hamilton County, TX, and Hamilton County Baptist Association, a group of Baptist churches met July 4, 1876, at Cottonwood Springs, near Evant to organize the Hamilton County Baptist Association.  Minutes of the organizational meeting have been lost.

Records of the Leon River Baptist Association support the date of July 4, 1877, as the founding date of Hamilton County Baptist  Association. Two of the churches (Pleasant Valley and Sweethome which participated in the organizational meeting were founded after 4 July, 1876, but before 4 July, 1877.  

Mr. Abernethy is of the opinion that Cottonwood Springs was perhaps the community now called Fairview and that the Cottonwood Springs Baptists were a forerunner of Fairview. Cottonwood Springs was located on the east side of the Lampasas River and west of the current Fairview Baptist Church near where Hwy. 84 crosses the Lampasas River. The list of 18 churches in Hamilton County Baptist Association in 1878 did not include a church named Cottonwood Springs. 

Mrs. U. G. (Ima) Hughes did not know the origin of the name Fairview--perhaps because it is a pretty view from the hill on which the church is located. The church met for many years in the Fairview School located in the Fairview Community of Hamilton County.

The Fairview School District was organized in 1873 by Gilbert Kingsbury, Jim Murphree, John Eddie, and Oren Peck. In 1936 Fairview School served students from Fairview, Vista, Cottonwood, and Hurst Ranch in the school building erected in 1917. Cottonwood Springs was located on the Lampasas River northwest of Fairview. Vista was north and Hurst Ranch was west of Fairview.

Fairview Baptist Church petitioned Hamilton County Baptist Association for membership and was accepted on 12 August, 1897, during the twenty-first annual session which met with the Hamilton Baptist Church. There were 19 additions to Fairview Church in 1896-97 and services were held on the third Sunday of each month. There is no further mention of Fairview in the HCBA Minutes until 1902 when Fairview Baptist Church sent its church letter, but no messengers, to the Twenty-Sixth Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association which met August 14--16, 1902, in Adamsville with the Shiloh Baptist Church (now Adamsville Baptist Church.) The 1903 minutes of Hamilton County Baptist Association reported that Fairview was not represented. In 1904 Fairview paid $1.75 for minutes of HCBA and gave $2.50 for Associational Missions. The church did not own any property in 1904. In fact, the church did not own a church building until 1958 when the current building was erected.. Services were held in 1904 on the first Sunday and the Saturday before of each month. Fairview was included in the churches in the HCBA in 1905 when the Executive Board was organized, although neither messengers nor church letter was sent to the annual meeting.

In 1907 J. M. Reed was a messenger to HCBA from Fairview when Fairview pledged $25 to Buckners Orphans Home and Fairviewís church letter was lost. In 1908 Fairview did not send a messenger to the annual association meeting of HCBA, but it did give $5 to Association Missions and $2.50 to State Missions. W. L. Henderson was pastor and there were 4 additions by letter and 1 by statement while 6 were dismissed by letter. In 1910 the church letter was sent without messengers. The pastor was H. J. Frasure; clerk was Nathan Cole. Services were held on the 2nd Sunday and the total expenses for the year was $1.35.

Fairview, without any statistics, was included in the list of churches on the Financial Statement Page of the Minutes of the 35th Annual Session of Hamilton County Baptist Association in 1911. Fairview was not represented at the 1912 Annual Session. From 1913 until 1924 there is no mention of Fairview Baptist Church in the minutes of Hamilton County Baptist Association.

In 1921/1922 the flame of evangelism sparked again and the church we know as Fairview became active again; however, it was not until 27 August, 1924, that Fairview petitioned and was re-admitted to HCBA, although no messengers were sent to the annual meeting. On 29 August, 1928, again Fairview petitioned and was granted membership in the Hamilton County Baptist Association J. N. Hamilton and Roy Baker represented Fairview as messengers in 1928. "As this church had once been a member of the Association they were welcomed back and messengers seated." Services were held on the first Sunday of the month.

In 1929 Fairview paid $2.81 to the Minute Fund and services were being held on both the 2nd and 4th Sundays each month. The pastorís annual salary in 1930 was $67.50, $15 was given to missions, and services were held on the 2nd Sunday. The pastor was paid $50 in 1931, while total local church expenses were $15. By 1935 the pastorís salary had increased to $88.67; local expenses (including pastorís salary) was $113.76; and $63 was given to missions, schools, and orphans homes. The 56th Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association was held at Fairview, August 31 and September 1, 1932. By 1939 the total church budget was $123.74 of which $86 was the pastorís salary. In 1941 church services were held on the 2nd Sunday of each month; the pastorís salary was $72.00; and the total church budget for the year was $101. Fairview did not submit a church letter in 1942 or 1943, nor were messengers sent to the Annual Association Meeting. Revival fires were evident in 1944 when the church reported 16 baptisms with church services on both the 2nd and 4th Sundays. By 1945 the pastor was paid $370 and local expenditures had increased to $566.76.

Since the church did not have a building, it met (along with other churches in the community) in the Fairview School on alternating Sundays. Many people attended church each Sunday regardless of which denomination conducted the services. When Fairview School consolidated with Evant ISD, Fairview Baptist Church was allowed to continue to meet in Fairview School with the stipulation that the building would be available as a voting place for civic elections.

As long as Mrs. U. G. (Ima) Hughes can remember from her childhood, there was always a brush arbor revival during the summer. The brush arbor was located in front of Fairview School. Mrs. Hughes remembers that her father who was a deacon and the other deacons were kept busy during revivals pumping up Coleman lanterns so that there would be light under the arbor. Many people who normally did not attend church would come to the brush arbor services often remaining in their buggy or wagon. Church members spread out to witness to their neighbors. Mrs. Hughes vividly recalled from 60 to 75 years ago, Mrs. Lou Trout, a Spirit-filled Christian, who shouted in almost every service as she walked up and down the aisle.

The membership at Fairview waxed and waned. At one point all of the families were ready to dissolve the church except the Walkers. In its early days the population of the Hamilton County was larger, and slower transportation necessitated that churches and schools be located close to the people they reached.

1947 was a year of progress because Fairview began having church services every Sunday. When next reported (1950) church services were held on the 2nd and 4th Sundays, but by 1952 church services had returned to being held each Sunday. In 1956 the pastorís salary was $1100 annually, increasing to $1300 in 1957. The church did not own any property or buildings in 1957.

About 1958 while Charles Akins was pastor, Fairview decided to build its first building. They secured permission from Evant ISD to tear down the old Fairview School and were allowed to use lumber from the school to erect a church. By 1959 the estimated value of the church property was $6,175, with $2680 spent during the year on new construction, property, and equipment.

In 1959 Fairview received recognition at the HCBA Annual Session for its participation in the Church Achievement Program. In 1960 Fairview won the highest award given in HCBA for participation in the Church Achievement Program. Other churches participating were Providence, Evant, Indian Gap, and Carlton. Fairview achieved the highest award in HCBA again in 1961.

Fairview and Providence Churches were presented Church Achievement Awards. There was a very close race in the judging of the notebooks kept by each church. This is the second year in a row that the workbook from Fairview will represented the district [District XVI which included churches in Brady, Brown, Coleman, Comanche, Concho Valley, Hamilton, Mills, Runnels, and San Saba Counties.]

In 1960 Total Receipts were $3,783; the value of church property was $7,431; and $1,130 was spent on new construction, property, and equipment.

In 1995 the church began construction of a "big room" and kitchen while the old kitchen was changed to a classroom. Dedication for this project was in June, 1996.

"At Fairview Church the Itchner Family (teachers) gave $25. to the church at one time. The church clerk was Ola (Ora) Putnam. They called a business meeting to decided what to do with that much money. Daddy always said she was one of the better cooks around."--Sarah Drake Bone

SOURCES:

Dehart, Mrs. Allen, Hamilton County Baptist Association of Texas, Sixty-Third Annual Session Held with Blue Ridge Baptist Church, August 22-23, 1939, "Church Property of Hamilton County Baptist Association Table"

Williamson, Lee Roy, Director of Missions, 1987 Tri-River Baptist Area Annual, Williamson, Mrs. Betty, Clerk, "Hamilton Baptist Association, Minutes of the 111th Annual Session, Held at Calvary Baptist Church, Hamilton, Texas October 5, 1987," Table A, Church Membership and Other Information, pg. 78.

Gillespie, J. T., Clerk, The 48th Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association at Hamilton, August 27 29, 1924, p. 5.

Stribling, Miss Anna Jane, Clerk, The 52nd Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association Held with the Evant Baptist Church, August, 1928, p. 2.

Abernethy, Arvord M., "Centennial History of Hamilton County Baptist Association," The Hamilton Herald-News, October 7, 1976.

Hughes, Mrs. U. G. (Ima)--Interview

Billingslea, W. F., Publisher, "Fairview School District No. 31--Fairviewís First Building was a Floorless, Doorless Log Cabin Affording Stray Cows Shelter," Hamilton County School Annual, 1936, Texas Centennial Edition, Hamilton County News, Hamilton, Texas

Rodgers, W. J., Clerk, Minutes of the Twenty-First Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association, Held with the Baptist Church at Hamilton, Texas, August 12, 13, and 13, 1897, p. 2.

Woodward, C. P., Clerk, Minutes of the Twenty-Sixth Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association held with the Shiloh Baptist Church, Adamsville, Texas, August 14, 15, and 16, 1902, p. 5.

Davis, J. N., Clerk, Minutes of the Twenty-eighth Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association held with the Honey Creek Baptist Church August 17, 18, and 19, 1904, p. 15, Financial Statistics, and Statistical Table.

Davis, J. N., Clerk, Minutes of the Twenty-Ninth Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association held with the Cow House Baptist Church, Pottsville, Texas, August 16 and 17, 1905, p. 21.

Cady, P. M., Clerk, Minutes of the Thirty-First Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association held with the Shiloh Baptist Church, Adamsville, Texas, August 14 and 15, 1907, p. 3 and Financial Statistics as Gathered from Church Letters, and Statistical Table.

Davis, J. N., Clerk, Minutes of the Thirty-second Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association held with Carlton Baptist Church, August 12 and 13, 1908, Financial Statistics as Shown by Church Letters, List of Churches and Officers, the following page of membership statistics.

West, John D., Clerk, Minutes of the Thirty-Sixth Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association Held with the Center Valley Baptist Church, August 14 and 15th, 1912, p. 2.

Gillespie, J. T., Clerk, The 48th Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association at Hamilton, August 27 to 29, 1924, p. 5.

Stribling, Miss Anna Jane, Clerk, The 52nd Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association Held with the Evant Baptist Church, August, 1928, p. 2.

Stribling, Miss Anna Jane, Clerk, The 53rd Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association Held with Providence Baptist Church August 28, 29, 1929 , p. 8 and Statistical Table.

Stribling, Miss Anna Jane, Clerk, The 54th Annual Session of the Hamilton County Baptist Association Held with Agee Baptist Church, August 27, 28, 1930, Financial Statistical Table.

Stribling, Miss Anna Jane, Clerk, The 55th Annual Session Hamilton County Baptist Association, Held with Ohio Baptist Church, August 26-27, 1931 as published in 55th, 56th and 57th Annual Sessions of the Hamilton County Baptist Association, The 57th Annual Session of The Hamilton County Baptist Association at Carlton, August 30-31, 1933 , Statistical Table for 1931.

Lovelady, Mrs. E. D., Clerk, The 59th Annual Session of The Hamilton County Baptist Association Held with Evant Baptist Church, August 21-22, 1935, Statistical Table.

Dehart, Mrs. Allen, Clerk, Hamilton County Baptist Association of Texas, Sixty-Third Annual Session Held with Blue Ridge Baptist Church, August 22, 23, 1939, Financial Report of the Hamilton County Baptist Association.

Miller, Stephen W., Clerk, Hamilton County Baptist Association of Texas, Sixty-fifth Annual Session Held with the Hamilton Baptist Church, August 21-22, 1941, Statistical tables.

Wheeler, Mark V., Clerk, Hamilton County Baptist Association of Texas, Sixty-Sixth Annual Session Held with Ohio Baptist Church, August 20-21, 1942, and Hamilton County Baptist Association of Texas--1943, Sixty-Seventh Annual Session Held with Indian Gap Baptist Church, August 20, 1943, Table 1: Churches, Pastors and Membership.

Abernethy, Mrs. A. M. (Anna Belle), Clerk, Hamilton County Baptist Association of Texas, Sixty-Eighth Annual Session Held with Providence Baptist Church, October 12, 13, 1944, Statistical Tables.

Sylvester, Chester, Clerk, Hamilton County Baptist Association of Texas, Sixty-Ninth Annual Session Held with Carlton Baptist Church, October 2-3, 1945, Table VII--Gifts for Local Church Work.

Hickerson, Sr., Julius R., District Missionary, 1947 Minutes of District Sixteen Baptist General Convention of Texas, Sylvester, Chester, Clerk, " Hamilton County Baptist Association Held with the First Baptist Church, Evant, Texas, Oct. 7 and 8, 1947," Table I: Church Membership, p. 136.

Hickerson, Sr., Julius R., District XVI Missionary, 1950 Minutes of District Sixteen Baptist General Convention of Texas, Allen, Luther W., "Minutes of the Hamilton County Baptist Association Seventy-Fourth Annual Session Held with the First Baptist Church of Carlton, September 7 and 8, 1950," p. 158.

Abernethy, A. M., Clerk, Minutes of the Hamilton County Baptist Association Held with the First Baptist Church, Evant, Texas, September 6-7, 1956, Table I. Church and Membership.

Nelson, Clifford, District XVI Missionary, 1957 Minutes of District Sixteen Baptist General Convention of Texas, Abernethy, A. M., Clerk, "Minutes of the Hamilton County Baptist Association, Eighty-First Annual Session, Held with the Littleville Baptist Church, Hamilton, Texas, September 5-6, 1957," Table A. Church and Membership.

Nelson, Clifford, District XVI Missionary, Baptist Jubilee Advance, 1959-1964 for Liberty and Light Minutes of District Sixteen, Texas 1814..1969, A. M. Abernethy, Clerk, "Minutes of the Eighty-Third Annual Session Meeting with First Baptist Church, Hamilton, October 5-6, 1959," Table G Building--Goals for Coming Year--Special Information, pgs. 120, 130.

Nelson, Clifford, District XVI, Missionary, Baptist Jubilee Advance 1959--1964, Stewardship and Enlistment Yearbook District Sixteen Texas 1814..1964, 1960, Abernethy, A. M., Clerk, "Minutes of the Eighty-Fourth Annual Session Meeting with the First Baptist Church, Evant, Texas October 3, 1960," p. 128.

Nelson, Clifford, District XVI, Missionary, Baptist Jubilee Advance 1959--1964, Church Extension Yearbook District Sixteen Texas 1814--1964 (1961), Abernethy, A. M., Clerk, "Minutes of the Eighty-Fifth Annual Session Meeting with First Baptist Church, Carlton, October 9, 1961," pgs. 125, 140-141.

 

1907 HCBA Minutes

1910 HCBA Minutes

See USGS for maps

 

 

 
Home ] Up ] PASTORS, BAPTISMS, MEMBERSHIP, EXECUTIVE BOARD       MEMBER ] CHURCH CLERK, TREASURER, SUNDAY SCHOOL DIRECTOR       & ENROLLMENT ] CHAIRMAN OF DEACONS, MUSIC DIRECTOR, PIANIST ] CHURCH SECRETARY, DIRECTOR LIBRARY SERVICES, W.M. U. DIRECTOR ENROLLMENT ] VALUE OF CHURCH PROPERTY, RECREATION DIRECTOR, CHURCH TRAINING DIRECTOR AND ENROLLMENT ] MINISTER OF EDUCATION, YOUTH DIRECTOR, BROTHERHOOD PRESIDENT AND ENROLLMENT ] IN MEMORIAM ] MESSENGERS TO THE ANNUAL ASSOCIATION ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright © March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress