Raleigh Hazzard probably taught the first school in Langford
Cove in 1857 or 1858. Mr. Hazzard was paid $92.58 on November
2, 1857, by the Coryell County Commissioners from the county school
fund. Attending the first school were the children from the families of Asa
Langford, James Witcher, Dr. Williams, John Willis, John Hurst, and
Sam Sneed. The Witchers, Williams, Willis, Hurst, and Sneed
families had moved into a valley across the mountain from the Langfords
in 1855 and 1856. The classroom for this first school was under a brush
arbor built north of Gholson Gap. Later a log school was built west
of Cove for another session of school.
The Civil War brought an abrupt end to education in the South. Not
until 1872 did classes resume under another brush arbor east of Langford
Cove with Andrew J. Hunter as the teacher. AsaLangford
donated four acres of land on the southeastern edge of the Evant
for literary school purposes. This is the current location of Evant ISD.
By 1878 a one-room rawhide lumber school was erected with classes
beginning in the 1879. When this school burned in 1887, it was replaced
with a stone school building. The 1889-90 school term began with two
teachers, M. L. Stallings and Miss Rude Atherton in the new
stone school building.
In 1892 Bullís PointSchool was consolidated with CoveSchool into an independent school district by a special act
of the state legislature. Hamilton County added a second story to
the stone building of the newly formed school district. Labor for
constructing the second floor of the school was donated by citizens of the
community and was completed by 1892. A gym was completed in 1936. A
transportation system used from 1933 through 1937 increased the size of
the school by bringing students from other school communities into
Rodney C. Love came to at Evant in 1948 as
teacher, principal, and coach. The Liberty School consolidated with Evant in
1954.A new school building was erected in 1975 for students who
came from Hamilton, Coryell, and Lampasas Counties.