COWHOUSE CREEK meanders through Hamilton
County from Mills County where it heads near Priddy
passing through Pottsville, Schoolerville, and
Coryell County. Cowhouse Creek reaches from Lake Belton
in Bell County to Mills County. During the early days of Hamilton
County, cattle would congregate in the bluffs and cliffs of this creek
for protection from blizzards. Until 1947 the Pottsville Baptist
Church usually used the name Cowhouse Baptist Church.
"Cowhouse Creek heads near
Priddy in Mills County, runs through Pottsville, and Schoolerville.
Highway 66 (US 281) crosses it eight miles south of Hamilton. It
goes through Ohio at the Uncle Jimmie Carter farm, into Coryell
County and empties into the Leon River several miles above Belton.
During open range days cattle were found gathering in the bluffs and
cliffs for protection from blizzards in the winter, hence the
name."--Doris LaRue Stapleton and Capt. C. E. Horton.
CREEK." The Handbook of Texas Online
National Mapping Information
1 feature records have been selected from GNIS.