pictures to see a larger view
On Saturday before the fourth Sunday in March, 1878, Carlton Baptist
Church was organized. T. M. Byers was the moderator and J.
M. Evans was church clerk. The first pastor was Rev. R. M. Cumbie
and the first deacons were Dewey Pierce, J. A. Rowland, Martin Jones, and
Joe Hicks. J. A. Rowland was the first Sunday School superintendent.
Charter members were F. M. and Mary Carlton, R. M. and Mollie Cumbie, W. J.
and Nancy Hicks, J. M. and S. J. Evans, J. R. and
Martha J. Nix, J. P. Nix, C. A. Miller, James Nix, Callie Center, William
Miller, Bettie Smith, James S. Carlton, Cynthia Pierce, Drewry Pierce,
Nancy Pierce, Napoleon Pierce, Penelope McCarty, and James S.
R. M. Cumbie was born 1 January, 1849, in Barber County, AL.
Converted at the age of 20, he was baptized by D. B. Burt into the
Damascus Church. He came to Texas in 1870 and was licensed by
Concord Church of Henderson County. Cumbie was ordained by Carlton
Baptist Church on the third Sunday of November, 1881.
Carlton Baptist Church was admitted to the Comanche
Baptist Association prior to 2 September, 1881, when Carlton hosted the
Comanche Baptist Annual meeting.
No rain fell in Hamilton County from January, 1886, until August 31, 1887;
hence severe drought conditions prevailed. The Saturday morning
session of the Comanche Association in September, 1887 adjourned to
the river bank for a baptismal service. Sixteen of those baptized
were from Carlton.
On 3 December, 1885, R. M. Cumbie, Drewry Pierce, H. L. Lynch, J. E.
Stringer, J. H. Everett, and J. T. Cumbie, Trustees of Carlton
Baptist Church purchased for ten dollars from W. C. Murphree and wife, D. A.
Murphree, a tract of land on which to build a church house.
The first church was a one room structure. Carlton Baptist Church
was admitted into the Hamilton County Baptist Association on 14
Early pastors were:
J. H. Vinson, 1891--1895
J. H. Cunningham, 1896--1897
J. T. Beam,
T. P. Speakman,
Early church clerks were:
J. C. Finley, 1891-1900
Early messengers to the annual association meeting were:
1891--W. Graham, F. M. Richburg
1892--W. Graham, J. W. Porter, F. M. Richburg, James Wilson McKenzie
1893--J. H. Vinson, A. Boatwright, F. M. Richburg
1894--J. N. Adams, J. W. Richburg
1895--Warren Graham, James Wilson
McKenzie, J. N. Adams, B. G.
Richbourg, J. H. Vinson, J. W. Porter, Randolph Hunter "Randall"
1896--F. M. Richbourg, J. C. Finley, Warren Graham, J. W.
Porter, Randolph Hunter "Randall" Gibson
1897--A. L. Fisher, James Wilson McKenzie, A. G. Bingham, Rev.
1898--James Wilson McKenzie, R. Adams, V. B. Mitchell, J. M. Adams,
Sisters Lou Mitchell and Orelia McKenzie
1899--Revs. Randolph Hunter "Randall" Gibson, J. T. Beam,
Warren Graham, and Brethren J. M. Adams, James Wilson McKenzie, F. M.
Richbourg, W. S. Fisher
1900--James Wilson McKenzie, Rev. Warren Graham, J. A. Rowland,
Sister Orelia McKenzie
1901--J. T. Gibson, James Wilson McKenzie, J. A. Rowland, J. W.
Richbourg, Randolph Hunter "Randall" Gibson, M. L. Gibson
A new church building was completed in September, 1917 by J. L.
Thompson. This was the last building Mr Thompson built before
his death. The first couple married in the new church were Rev.
Clarence Allen Morton and Miss Hallie Adams. The baptistry was
added in 1945. On 25 October, 1953, an educational building was dedicated.
The parsonage was remodeled in 1977.