PLEASANT VALLEY SCHOOL
DISTRICT NO. 14
House at Pleasant Valley Built in Year 1860
is a two-teacher school, located in the eastern portion of
. The building is in a very desirable location. It has a creek near, and
the fertile valley soil grows an abundance of gorgeous flowers. The
large oak trees supply the play ground with ample shade.
first school house was built in 1860*. It was a one-room cabin made of
logs with no windows. For heating a huge fire place across one end of
the room was used. About 1896 a frame structure took the place of the
log cabin. This building was remodeled in 1921 and furnished with modern
equipment. Then, in 1925, the second room was added. [*Other
sources indicate that the Pleasant
Valley school was not built until 1876. The
third school established
in Hamilton County was the one taught by J. Griffith in his home near Leon
River east of Hamilton, Griffith was
killed by Indians 9 February, 1860, thus ending the school.]
school has had fewer literary and social functions this year than usual.
It was our pleasure to have with us on one occasion the Lions Club from
October 31, 1935
, there was a Halloween party at the school building, where the spooks
appeared with their black cats. A general school program was presented
immediately before the Christmas holidays. After the program the heavily
laden tree was revealed, and Santa Claus delivered the gifts.
community enjoyed the play entitled, “George in a Jam,” presented by
Evergreen in our building. At the present, we are being encouraged by
the prospects of soon seeing our local talent in the play, “Mama’s
the past few weeks we have been very busy preparing for the
Interscholastic League Meet. A great amount of interest was shown by
most pupils. This being the first time this school has ever entered, we
did not receive many places but feel as though our efforts and time were
the literary division we entered juniors in declamation, 3R contest,
spelling, arithmetic, also story telling and senior declamation. In
tennis, senior girls’ entered singles, also junior singles and junior
doubles. The junior singles represented by Dorothy Lee Musick, won first
place in the county. Junior doubles, represented by Mary Nell Koen and
Mary Alice Hylies, won second place.
was indeed proud of these girls and think they have a bright future in
tennis. The junior boys made several track entries in the county meet.
Norman Livingston and John Amos Phears won second place by chinning the
bar 23 times each.
the school year the boys have played several games of basketball and
playground ball with various schools. Now, we have a volley ball and
hope to have a good team soon.
pupils have about completed the required number of books for a reading
certificate this year. Interest is growing in the library each year. We
also have some who are trying to be entitled to the writing pen at the
close of school.
1: Nelson Blum, Annie Marie Graeter, James Hyles.
2: Juanita Livingston, Georgia Mae Johnson, Wanda Graeter.
3: Mary Artie Graeter, Buster Lee Johnson, Walter Hyles, Clifford
4: Moody Courtney, A. D. Elam, Leonard Elam, Norman Livingston, Marie
5: Bertie Mae Payne, Gailon Blum, Freeman Vise, John Mark Musick.
6: Helen Hyles, Thelma Musick,
Campbell, W. D. White, June Blum, Mattie Louise Johnson.
7: John Amos Phears, Clifford Johnson.
8: Weldon Johnson, Donald Johnson, Dorothy Lee Musick, Mary Nell Koen,
Mary Alice Hyles, Lucille Elam.
Bradley Gardner, principal, and Miss Rose Marie Courtney, primary.
Albert Graeter, Dennis Payne and Robert Koen.
~ . ~
. ~ .
~ . ~
HAMILTON COUNTY SCHOOL ANNUAL
TEXAS CENTENNIAL EDITION
W. F. BILLINGSLEA, Publisher
Shared by Roy
PLEASANT VALLEY SCHOOL