ALEMAN

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

ALEMAN

 

1907--

FROM GNIS Mapping Service

Feature Name:

Aleman

Feature Type: populated place
Elevation: 1168
State: Texas
County: Hamilton
USGS 7.5' x 7.5' Map: Hamilton East
313756N
0980231W

 

ALEMAN, seven miles southeast of Hamilton, was the new town started in 1907 at the Cotton Belt Railroad as a new location for the Pleasant Point community which was about a mile away from the new railroad. Between 1870 and 1880 many German immigrants in Washington County heard of the potential opportunities in Hamilton County and moved to Pleasant Point. Mexican workers employed to build the new railroad referred to the new town as Aleman which means German in Spanish. Aleman was also known as KnoxAleman was first called Piggtown when Mack Pigg built the first wooden business buildings in the new town.

"ALEMAN, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online

ALEMAN POST OFFICE

 

A post office was established at Aleman on 20 April, 1914 with Gideon P. Toland as the first postmaster. Aleman post office was closed 28 February, 1943, when mail service was transferred to Hamilton.

 

Postmasters and dates of appointment:

 

Gideon P. Toland - 20 April, 1914

Arthur P. Schrank - 11 October, 1918

Roy Grayson - 2 August, 1923

August W. Koslan - 9 April, 1924

Bernard R. Renken - 15 September,  1925

ALEMAN REGISTERED VOTERS in 1937

 

Voting Precinct No. 12...ALEMAN

From: "Hamilton County [TX] Business Guide and Directory" First

Edition, August 1, 1937

A

Altenhoff, Willie, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Angerman, Robt., Mechanic, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Angerman, J. L. M., Mechanic, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Angerman, Bernard, Laborer, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

B

Balder, A. E., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Botlinger, Dan, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Bottlinger, L. M., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Bunnell, Sam, Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

C

Collins, Tom, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

E

Ebeling, Eddie, Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Edwards, F. A., Farmer, Ireland, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Eisen, Henry, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Eisen, Theo., Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Endebrock, Willie, Jr., Clerk, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

F

Fergusson, R. J. Farmer, Hamilton, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Feldman, Fred, Hamilton. R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Feldman, John, Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Fisher, F. H., Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Fulton, Henry, Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Fulton, Fritz, Farmer, Hamilton, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Fulton, M. L., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

G

Ganske, Mrs. F. W., Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Goerdel, C. W., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

H

Hammack, Taylor, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Hampton, R. B., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Hohertz, W. L., Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

J

Jahnke, Otto, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Jahnke, Willie, Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Jones, F. E., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

K

Kelm, Mrs. August, Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Kelm, Adolph, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Kelm, Chas., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Krueger, A. A., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Kuklies, Mrs. Meta, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

L

Lange, Mrs. E. R., Farmer, Ireland, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Leitko, John, Farmer, Ireland, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Lowe, S. B., Farmer, Hamilton, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

M

Meissner, G. F., Farmer, Ireland, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Meissner, T. C., Farmer, Ireland, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Melde, John, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Melde, Arthur G., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Melde, O. H., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

N

Nielson, Wm. H., Farmer, Aleman, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

P

Price, H. C., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Pflueger, Otto, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Pruitt, J. V., Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

 

R

Richey, Joe, Farmer, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Richey, Miss Tishey, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

Rost, Mrs. Carl, Hamilton, R1, Voting Precinct No. 12...Aleman

ALEMAN PUBLIC SCHOOL

Teachers in 1921 were Mr. Jewel Gerald, Miss Irene Moore, and Monroe Schrank. In 1924-25 R. G. Krueger, L. O. Wood, and Frank Bottlinger were on the Aleman School Board with R. J. Gerald, Miss Irene Moore, and Monroe Schrank teaching in the school.  Cleo Perry taught at Aleman in 1942.

KRUEGER SCHOOL

 

Krueger School and a two-room parsonage served the congregation of Lutheran congregation at Pleasant Point until 1900 when an unpainted structure was erected. St. Paulís Lutheran Church in Aleman was built in 1916. St Paulís Lutheran School was part of St. Paulís Evangelical Lutheran Church at Aleman until the mid 1940's. The purpose of this school was to provide daily religious instruction to its students in addition to state curriculum plus music. Students were expected to have a reading knowledge of German since church services were in German. Teachers included Rev. Emil F. Moerbe, J. T. Jaeckel, E. A. Voskamp, William H. Nielson, and C. T. Boriack.

PLEASANT POINT SCHOOL, NO. 42

 

PLEASANT POINT was the first name of ALEMAN from its founding before 1880 until 1907. Pleasant Point was located about a mile south of ALEMAN. The new town-location was initially called PIGGTOWN before it became Aleman. With the installation of the Cotton Belt Railroad to Hamilton in 1907, the Pleasant Point community moved to the railroad. Mexican laborers employed to lay the railroad track called the new community Aleman--the Spanish word meaning German.

Pleasant Point School had seven grades in 1911. Pleasant Point School was still in operation in 1912.

 

 

ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN CEMETERY - ALEMAN

ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN

†ST. PAUL'S CELEBRATES 110TH ANNIVERSARY

ST. PAUL'S LUTHERN CHURCH, ALEMAN

ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN SCHOOL

HAMILTON COUNTY IN THE 1950S AS SEEN BY A FIRST GRADER

 

 

Home ] ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN ]

Home ] Up ] ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright © March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress