Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Biography Corner, p. 2

Union County, Georgia                                                                      The GAGenWeb Project

A Series of Union County Biographies
written by our Visitors

We'd like to encourage all of our visitors to contribute biographies of their ancestors--we'll gladly edit all submissions, so you don't have to worry about grammar and spelling. All articles should be no more than 600 words in length, and only deceased individuals should be profiled.

August 27, 1895- February 16, 1979
Written by great-granddaughter, Sherry Parks

Grady Henry Hood was born August 27, 1895 in Union Co., GA to Benjamin Franklin Hood and Mary A. “Mollie” Fields. He passed away December 15, 1929 in Union Co., GA and is buried in the Duncan Cemetery.

Grady grew up around Hoods Chapel in Estatoe, Union Co., GA with 4 other brothers and 5 sisters. They went to school at Pleasant Grove, which was up on the hill behind Hoods Chapel. It was a one-room schoolhouse with 2 teachers, grouped in sections by grade. One teacher was more or less the principal who was the disciplinarian and the other was a regular teacher.

Grady Henry Hood was a carpenter and a farmer. He was frequently asked to make the caskets in town out of wood when someone passed away. Grady was married to Jane Mae Reece on Feb. 6, 1916. In the early years, they took over the old Pouper’s Home for the elderly and ran the place. Jane cooked the meals and took care of the housecleaning. They got a small farm near to Pouper’s and Grady took care of 1/3 of the Roger’s big farm along with it and gave them 1/3 of what they grew on the land. There was an old broken down log home that they tore down and built a house further up on a hill. Th! ey built a barn next to where the old log home was. They used a wagon and a mule to haul the crops.

Abt. 1939, they moved 2 miles east to a 160-acre farm in the Coosa District. The Pouper’s home just got too much for them to run. Grady took contracts building the Three C’s Tops (Army Barracks) to buy the 160 acre farm for $1900. They farmed 24 acres of the 160. There was a log house covered in planks of wood over the logs and it had a tin roof. The Coosa Creek came through their land. After a few years, Grady (without telling Jane) sold the 160 acres and they moved to some land with a rock house, 2 miles west again from the other. Jane was very upset about it but went along. They lived in the rock house for a while until Grady and the family built a new one next to it, then used the rock house for storage.

Back to the Union County, GA USGenWeb Site

This page was last updated on Jan. 17, 2005