The Spalding Grays
Spalding County, Georgia
The Spalding Grays, as Co. D. 2nd Batt. Inf.,
was the first military unit from Spalding
County to be mustered into the Confederate
Army. It was followed by 8 regular and several
militia companies. The Spalding Grays have
continued through the years as a unit of
the Ga. Nat. Guard, serving in war and peace,
military and civil emergencies. Today it is
Co. C., 48th Reconnaissance Batt., 48th Armored
Div., Ga. Nat. Guard, whose headquarters are
in this modern armory, completed in 1956.
The only earlier military company from the
county was the Fannin Avengers which served
in the Mexican War and has long since passed
Georgia Historical Commission
|The Spalding Grays|
|Larger photo of Historical marker|
|History of the 122nd Infantry|
|Spalding Grays Today - 108th Calvary|
The information contained on this website is submitted by volunteers and is not intended for commercial use. Information remains the property of the submitter. Unauthorized use of content in this website is strictly prohibited.
Compilation Copyright © 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 [Beth Shaw ]. All rights reserved.