Walter Reddacliff (1847...1934)
to Start page
To follow Descendent line
click on Surname only but "NOTE"
If this symbol is present
on their christian name to go to their own history page.
Born : Coryton England
. . Robert Walter's Death Certificate
cert # 8537/22
Brunswick Heads / C of E Cemetery Brunswick Heads This Cemetery is
no longer in existance
. John . .
(b.1804...d.. ) & .H
. Susan ..
. . Susanah
Married : 1872
Married : unknown
(b....d.)& Helen (Ellen ) McGowan
- 1 . H
. Walter . Reddacliff
m H .Mary
A . Rose . (b.....d.)
2 . H .
James . . Reddacliff
. Ethel M .
Whittaker . (b. ..d3/10/ 1926)
3 . H .
John . Reddacliff
& H .
Christina . J . McDonald .
4 . H .
Mary . Ellen . Reddacliff
. ( b.1879 -
. Samuel .
Henry . Johnson .
5 . H .
William . . Reddacliff
. Alice .
Lucy Jane . Johnson
6 . H
.. Grace .
Edith . Reddacliff
m H .
Charles . Henry . Walsh
7 . H .
Ruth . Elizabeth . Reddacliff
(b.30/8/1885..d.12/7/1948) m 12/12/1911 m. H
. Henry .
Strange . Pillidge .( b.
8 . H .
Bessie . E . Reddacliff
Eric . McKenzie
9 . H
) & ..H .
Mary . Gladys . McCloy.
9 . H
Janet . Paterson .
10 . H
. J (Till or Tillie). Reddacliff
Hugh . .(Dick) . Norman
11 .H .
Levinia . Mabel . Reddacliff
. (b .
13/8/1898..d.18/4/.1957.) m 1925 .H
. Herbert . Sherar . (b...d.20/8/1967)
12 . Frederick James. Reddacliff .
13 . Susanah . Reddacliff . (
History & Achievements
Items below are in our possetion and can be if wished sent by Email
- Robert Walter Reddacliff and two of his
brothers John Reddacliff and James Reddacliff came to Australia
together. Robert was one of the earliest settlers Of Mullumbimby
This Interview Appeared in a newspaper
We believe it was written
about 1949-1950 The interview refered to Walter
Robert Reddaclif . One could say with reasonable certainity that
most of the buildings mentioned are no longer standing . This item
was typed 12/7/1999 some of the wording makes no sense and is spelt
wrong but it is as is.
By Bullock Track to M'by
Old Resident Recalls the
facts about the early days of the district were brought to light in
an interview by a staff reporter with one of the districts oldest
inhabitants, Mr. W. R. Reddacliff, last week. Mr. Reddacliff, who is
77 years old, came here in 1882 with his parents, the late Mr. and
Mrs. R. W. Reddacliff.
To get to Mullumbimby it
was necessary to travel from Byron Bay to Brunswick Heads along the
beach and thence to Mullumbimby by boat or bullock track
Mr. Reddacliff recalled
that they left Byron Bay at 2 o'clock in the morning to get along
the beach while the tide was out. After being bogged in quicksand at
the Belongil they arrived at Brunswick in time for breakfast.
The next stage of the
journey was made by boat and the party landed behind where the
bowling green now is and walked to Myocum.
Mullumbimby, when they
arrived, consisted of two houses built on the river bank near where
Mr. W. R. Squires now lives.
The original Post Office
at Brunswick Heads was on North Beach, as also were the store and
most of the residents. The Post Office was run by Captain Simpson. A
few years after Mr. O'Mally was appointed Post Master and about 1890
a Post Office was built were Wakely's store now stands.
Brunswick was realy going
ahead by 1890 boasted four stores. Mr.Jacklun combined store keeping
with butchering between the school and the river, Mr. Stone had a
store on the North Beach and Mr. Haines was situated where Wraight's
Bus terminal is now. Another store stood on what is Mallam's vacant
The first hotel was owned
by Mr. Marshal, who later built a hotel in Mullumbimby where the
Court House Hotel now stands, and another was later built by Mr.
Harry Stone on the corner where Mallam's store is.
The Police Station at
Brunswick Heads was established in 1890and was complete with
About every six weeks a
boat called at Brunswick with provisions and loaded cadar. A short
time after a steamer from Brisbane also began to call for pine.
The old wreck on the
North side of the river was there before Mr. Reddacliff came to the
All provisions and mail
came through Bruswick Heads and if you wanted to post a letter you
had to take
it to the Heads.
After the railway went
through Mullumbimby the Post Office was shifted and the complete
first hotel at Mullumbimby was built by Mr. McGowan and was near the
present Council Chambers.
A store was built along
side it by Mr. Livingstone. Mr. Reddacliff's father was the first
blacksmith in the district and also owned the first cow.
To Mr. Reddacliff's
knowledge there have only been two riots in Mullumbimby.
Mr. Alex Brown, who died
recently at Coraki aged 90, was another old resident and helped to
build the Police Station at Brunswick. Another man who helped build
the barracks was the first to be locked up in them.
To quote Mr. Reddacliff
"after the line went through Mullumbimby the Heads went Bung"
school in Mullumbimby was
built where the race course is. END
Postal records held in
the Historical Section of Australia Post indicate that a
non-official Recieving Office was established at Mullumbimbyon the
1st, of April 1889. The first recieving office keeper was R .W.
Reddacliff, who was recommended by the local residents, and he
recieved an allowance of 5 pound per annum . Recieving Officers were
the lowest grade of non-official officers, and provided only the
most basic postal facilities. They were issued with a small advance
of postage stamps and postal notes for sale, and residents wishing
to transact any other type of postal buisness, such as money orders
or telegrams, were obliged to travel to a larger office , which in
this case of Mullumbimby was Brunswick, were a non-official post
office had been established in 1882. Brunswick became a Telegraph
office on the 3rd of June, 1884
On the 16th of April,
1891 the status of the office was raised from Recieving Office to
non-official Post Office and the Postmaster Reddacliff's allowance
was increased to 10 pound per annum. he was assisted in the post
office by James Reddacliff, who did not recieve any official
renumination. For the yera 1891,the office had 1,122 letters posted.
and earned a total postal revenue of 24 pounds
Family Links :
Back to surnames
e- mail address
© Copyright B & M
Chapman (QLD) Australia