REDDACLIFF FAMILY History
to Start page
of The Name : The origin
of the family name of Reddacliff is *Old English* it is neither
Norman nor Saxon but Celtic . It is not possible to trace the period
the first ancestors of the bearers of the name may have been in
Britain . The first record of the name (according to P . H . Heaney's
Dictonary of British Names) was in the year 1182 . This being noted
to the person of "Walter de Raddecliua" in the County of
Devonshire , and the spelling of the name Reddacliff has developed
from this source . Other spellings derived from this source are ,
Radcliff , Radcliffe , Redclift , Reddicliffe & Rackliff . All
these spellings are not direcly linked to Devonshire & may in
fact may not have even been in Britain .
The name was of
considerable note of the field of Military Enterprise in the "Border
Country " during the fourteenth century.
Colour White , :
When borne as a "field colour" is significant of Peace &
Sincerity . It is pointed out by Guillim , considered the most
authoritive of the ancient heraldic writers , that the term "Peace"
is not intended to portray one prepared to accept peace at any price
, but denotes a "Bearer of arms " ready to devote all his
efforts to bring about a just and equitable peace , a peace which
would endure because it would be such a peace .
Colour Sable (black) , :
Is symbolical of constancy and sometimes but less frequently also
Colour Gold , : One of
the two colours of Armory , signifies generosity and , according to
Sir John Ferne , denotes "Elevation of the mind " . It is
again pointed out by Guillim , that the term "Generosity "
is not intended to portray one prone to mass distribution of his
possessions wisely or not so ; but denotes a Bearer Of Arms
considered by his Sovereign to be of magnanimity which would display
both true fortitude in defeat and true Christian charity in victory .
Bend Baltheus (diagonal
version of the shield ): This bearing is representative of the
shieled "Scarfe" of a Knight , and is the insignia of rank
of the Knight Commander . It is represented in modern times by the
Military Sash .
Was granted to those whose loyalty to the Crown & Princes had
been proven in both combat and council .
Bull's Head. Guillim Says
"The Bearing of a Bull Or the Head thereof is a note of valour
and magnamimity " . An Ox was borne by the Athenians on one of
their coins , and it was also worshipped as a God by the Egyptians
under the name of Apis, "the soul of Osirus " . A specially
marked bull was always kept as an object of worship .
Due to parts of above being un readable, we
have typed it out, as it is, word for word as it appeared, including
spelling errors etc. We believe this article is dated around 1932,
due to the writers statement Robert Walter who died 2 years ago,
Robert Walter died in 1934
Brunswick .... 1881
The Funeral of Mrs.Susannah Reddacliff aged 79
took place on Wednesday
afternoon following a short service in St.
Martin's Church of England, conducted by Rev. P. F. Tilghman. The
long cortage moved to Brunswick Heads cemetery, where the burial
took place in the family grave in which the three Reddacliff
Brothers, who came from England together -- John, James and Robert,
were buried, and the late Mrs, James Reddacliff. The Funeral was
Mr. A. Beckinsale , furneral director,had
charge of the arrangements.
The family comprises :-- Walter ( Mullumbimby
), Jim ( Wondai Q ), John ( Wondai ), Nell
(Mrs. S. H . Johnson, Mullumbimby ), William (
Brisbane ), Grace ( Mrs. Chas. Walsh., Main Arm )., Ruth ( Mrs.
Harry Pillidge ,Wondai ), Bessie ( Mrs. E. McKenzie, Sydney ),
Arthur ( Sydney ) , Tillie ( Mrs.Herb Norman, Sydney ) and May ( Mrs
Herb Sherar, Sydney ). Fred, Main Arm died three months ago.
The late Mrs. Susannah Reddacliff was the widow
of Mr Robert Walter Reddacliff,
who died two years ago, and arrived in the
Bruswick River District in 1882, when the district's population was
not more than 30 and Mullumbimby did not exist.
Born in Sydney and leaving for the Clarence
River with her parents when 12 years old,
the late Mrs. Reddacliff lived 67 years on the
Northern Rivers. Her father was a shoemaker and followed that trade
at Bushgrove and Cowper. She married Robert Walter Reddacliff in
1872. Mr. Reddacliff was a blacksmith at Cowper till 1881, when he
selected land on the Brunswick in the Myocum district. Mrs.
Reddacliff and the family returned with him to the Brunswick in
STAYED AT GUNDURIMBA
They came by sailing boat to the Richmond River
and some months were spent at
Gundurimba. The journey from the Richmond to
the Brunswick was made by horse team and dray, with Mr. John Hickey
as driver. The remainder of the party comprised Mr. and Mrs.
Reddacliff and 5 children.
Roads did not exist, though ther were bullock
and dray tracks here and there .The
party traveled from Ballina to the Three Mile
Scrub along the beach, and then in-land to Byron Bay, a detour being
necessary owing to the rocky coastline towrds Cape Byron. The only
sign of habitation in Byron Bay 54 years ago was a small slab huton
what is now Brook's camping reserve. There the second night was
spent until 2 am . Not a person was met, Cape Byron then being a
wilderness, where it was not a swamp. Not a single person was seen
on the journey from Ballina to the Brunswick.
TRAVELLED BY NIGHT
It was necessary to travel by night to
Brunswick Heads when a low tide made the
beach easier for travelling. The first mishap
occured at the Belongil, Three of the five horses became bogged in
the quicksand, and it was necessary to un load the dray.
Brunswick Heads was reached at daybreak. A few
cottages made the village, and a
small hotel was conducted by Mr. R. Marshall, a
vey well known early Brunswick identity. It stood on portion of the
present Ocean View Hotelsite. After breakfast, the household goods
were transfered from the dray to two rowing boats, by which the
party travelled to Mullumbimby Creek, landing near where Mullumbimby
bowling green is to-day.
Virgin scrub covered the country, and apart
from a selector here and there and a
few cedar getters, there was no settlement.
On a bush-track the family walked for 3 miles
to the selection and spent the night in
a bark hut beloning to the late Thomas Torrens.
Only 2 acres had been felled and the new arrivals found themselves
hemmed in by scrub.
The selection comprised 200 acres but this was
added to in the next few years until
Mr. Reddacliff had a total of 600 acres.
Doctors and nurses were a thing of the future,
and a few months after her arrival
Mrs. Reddacliff returned to her parents on the
Clarence, travelling to Lismore by horseback along the beach route.
She was companied to the Richmond by Mr. Reddacliff and the late Tom
Doran, who brought the two young children Nell and Will from
Woodburn, Mr. Reddaclif went with the children by coach to the
Clarence, where Grace Mrs. Walsh, (Main Arm) was born.
The Reddacliff selsection became the centre for
the sparse population of the
Brunswick and a private post office was
established. Later it was made a recieving office and later raised
to the status of an official post office. When the railway was
openend and Mullumbimby commenced to grow, the post office was
THUNDERBOLT TO DINNER
One of the most vivid incidents in the late
Mrs. Reddacliff's life was nearly 70
years ago at her aunt's place, near Nymboida,
where one day a stranger arrived and called for dinner, which he ate
heartily, and for which he paid. It was learned shortly after that
he was the notorious bush ranger, Thunderbolt. Some rather unnerving
experiences also were had with the blacks, who sometimes were
hostile on the Clarence.
The late Mrs. Reddacliff was an ardent worker
for the Red Cross during the War
years and was interested in church work until
the approach of old age. Both Mr. and Mrs. Reddacliff had much to do
with the opening of the first school at Mullumbimby Grass in 1886.
In 1911 and again in 1924 the couple visited
England ,returning on each occasion via America.
Parts are hard to read so
we have typed it out word for word as it appeared .We believe it was
1949-1950 The interview
refered to was with Walter
Robert Reddaclif . One could say with reasonable certainity that
most of the buildings mentioned are no longer standing . This item
was typed 12/7/1999 some of the wording makes no sense and is spelt
wrong but it is as is.
By Bullock Track to M'by
Old Resident Recalls the
facts about the early days of the district were brought to light in
an interview by a staff
reporter with one of the
districts oldest inhabitants, Mr. W. R. Reddacliff, last week. Mr.
Reddacliff, who is 77 years old, came here in 1882 with his
parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Reddacliff.
To get to Mullumbimby
it was necessary to travel from Byron Bay to Brunswick Heads along
beachand thence to
Mullumbimby by boat or bullock track Mr. Reddacliff recalled that
they left Byron Bay at 2 o'clock in the morning to get along the
beach while the tide was out. After being bogged in quicksand at
the Belongil they arrived at Brunswick in time for breakfast.The
next stage of the journey was made by boat and the party landed
behind where the bowling green now is and walked to Myocum.
Mullumbimby, when they
arrived, consisted of two houses built on the river bank near
where Mr. W. R. Squires now lives.
The original Post
Office at Brunswick Heads was on North Beach, as also were the
store and most of the residents. The Post Office was run by
Captain Simpson. A few years after Mr. O'Mally was appointed Post
Master and about 1890 a Post Office was built were Wakely's store
now stands.Brunswick was realy going ahead by 1890 boasted four
stores. Mr.Jacklun combined store keeping with butchering between
the school and the river, Mr. Stone had a store on the North Beach
and Mr. Haines was situated where Wraight's Bus terminal is now.
Another store stood on what is Mallam's vacant allotment.The first
hotel was owned by Mr. Marshal, who later built a hotel in
Mullumbimby where the Court House
Hotel now stands, and
another was later built by Mr. Harry Stone on the corner where
Mallam's store is.The Police Station at Brunswick Heads was
established in 1890and was complete with lock-up.
About every six weeks a
boat called at Brunswick with provisions and loaded cadar.
A short time after a
steamer from Brisbane also began to call for pine.The old wreck on
the North side of the river was there before Mr. Reddacliff came
to the distrirct.All provisions and mail came through Bruswick
Heads and if you wanted to post a letter you had to take it to the
Heads. After the railway went through Mullumbimby the Post Office
was shifted and the complete Police Barracks transported.
The first hotel at
Mullumbimby was built by Mr. McGowan and was near the present
A store was built along
side it by Mr. Livingstone. Mr. Reddacliff's father was the first
blacksmith in the district and also owned the first cow.
To Mr. Reddacliff's
knowledge there have only been two riots in Mullumbimby.
Mr. Alex Brown, who
died recently at Coraki aged 90, was another old resident and
helped to build the
Police Station at
Brunswick. Another man who helped build the barracks was the first
to be locked up in them.
To quote Mr. Reddacliff
"after the line went through Mullumbimby the Heads went Bung"
school in Mullumbimby
was built where the race course is. END
e- mail address
© Copyright B & M
Chapman (QLD) Australia