Reddacliff Family History.

Back To Surnames Back to Start page

Origin of The Name : The origin of the family name of Reddacliff is *Old English* it is neither Norman nor Saxon but Celtic . It is not possible to trace the period the first ancestors of the bearers of the name may have been in Britain . The first record of the name (according to P . H . Heaney's Dictonary of British Names) was in the year 1182 . This being noted to the person of "Walter de Raddecliua" in the County of Devonshire , and the spelling of the name Reddacliff has developed from this source . Other spellings derived from this source are , Radcliff , Radcliffe , Redclift , Reddicliffe & Rackliff . All these spellings are not direcly linked to Devonshire & may in fact may not have even been in Britain .

The name was of considerable note of the field of Military Enterprise in the "Border Country " during the fourteenth century.

Coat of Arms

In Heraldry ,

The Colour White , : When borne as a "field colour" is significant of Peace & Sincerity . It is pointed out by Guillim , considered the most authoritive of the ancient heraldic writers , that the term "Peace" is not intended to portray one prepared to accept peace at any price , but denotes a "Bearer of arms " ready to devote all his efforts to bring about a just and equitable peace , a peace which would endure because it would be such a peace .

The Colour Sable (black) , : Is symbolical of constancy and sometimes but less frequently also denotes grief.

The Colour Gold , : One of the two colours of Armory , signifies generosity and , according to Sir John Ferne , denotes "Elevation of the mind " . It is again pointed out by Guillim , that the term "Generosity " is not intended to portray one prone to mass distribution of his possessions wisely or not so ; but denotes a Bearer Of Arms considered by his Sovereign to be of magnanimity which would display both true fortitude in defeat and true Christian charity in victory .

The Bend Baltheus (diagonal version of the shield ): This bearing is representative of the shieled "Scarfe" of a Knight , and is the insignia of rank of the Knight Commander . It is represented in modern times by the Military Sash .

The Crown ,: Was granted to those whose loyalty to the Crown & Princes had been proven in both combat and council .

The Bull's Head. Guillim Says "The Bearing of a Bull Or the Head thereof is a note of valour and magnamimity " . An Ox was borne by the Athenians on one of their coins , and it was also worshipped as a God by the Egyptians under the name of Apis, "the soul of Osirus " . A specially marked bull was always kept as an object of worship .

Due to parts of above being un readable, we have typed it out, as it is, word for word as it appeared, including spelling errors etc. We believe this article is dated around 1932, due to the writers statement Robert Walter who died 2 years ago, Robert Walter died in 1934


Brunswick .... 1881
The Funeral of Mrs.Susannah Reddacliff aged 79 took place on Wednesday
afternoon following a short service in St. Martin's Church of England, conducted by Rev. P. F. Tilghman. The long cortage moved to Brunswick Heads cemetery, where the burial took place in the family grave in which the three Reddacliff Brothers, who came from England together -- John, James and Robert, were buried, and the late Mrs, James Reddacliff. The Funeral was largely attended.
Mr. A. Beckinsale , furneral director,had charge of the arrangements.
The family comprises :-- Walter ( Mullumbimby ), Jim ( Wondai Q ), John ( Wondai ), Nell
(Mrs. S. H . Johnson, Mullumbimby ), William ( Brisbane ), Grace ( Mrs. Chas. Walsh., Main Arm )., Ruth ( Mrs. Harry Pillidge ,Wondai ), Bessie ( Mrs. E. McKenzie, Sydney ), Arthur ( Sydney ) , Tillie ( Mrs.Herb Norman, Sydney ) and May ( Mrs Herb Sherar, Sydney ). Fred, Main Arm died three months ago.
The late Mrs. Susannah Reddacliff was the widow of Mr Robert Walter Reddacliff,
who died two years ago, and arrived in the Bruswick River District in 1882, when the district's population was not more than 30 and Mullumbimby did not exist.
Born in Sydney and leaving for the Clarence River with her parents when 12 years old,
the late Mrs. Reddacliff lived 67 years on the Northern Rivers. Her father was a shoemaker and followed that trade at Bushgrove and Cowper. She married Robert Walter Reddacliff in 1872. Mr. Reddacliff was a blacksmith at Cowper till 1881, when he selected land on the Brunswick in the Myocum district. Mrs. Reddacliff and the family returned with him to the Brunswick in 1882.
They came by sailing boat to the Richmond River and some months were spent at
Gundurimba. The journey from the Richmond to the Brunswick was made by horse team and dray, with Mr. John Hickey as driver. The remainder of the party comprised Mr. and Mrs. Reddacliff and 5 children.
Roads did not exist, though ther were bullock and dray tracks here and there .The
party traveled from Ballina to the Three Mile Scrub along the beach, and then in-land to Byron Bay, a detour being necessary owing to the rocky coastline towrds Cape Byron. The only sign of habitation in Byron Bay 54 years ago was a small slab huton what is now Brook's camping reserve. There the second night was spent until 2 am . Not a person was met, Cape Byron then being a wilderness, where it was not a swamp. Not a single person was seen on the journey from Ballina to the Brunswick.
It was necessary to travel by night to Brunswick Heads when a low tide made the
beach easier for travelling. The first mishap occured at the Belongil, Three of the five horses became bogged in the quicksand, and it was necessary to un load the dray.
Brunswick Heads was reached at daybreak. A few cottages made the village, and a
small hotel was conducted by Mr. R. Marshall, a vey well known early Brunswick identity. It stood on portion of the present Ocean View Hotelsite. After breakfast, the household goods were transfered from the dray to two rowing boats, by which the party travelled to Mullumbimby Creek, landing near where Mullumbimby bowling green is to-day.
Virgin scrub covered the country, and apart from a selector here and there and a
few cedar getters, there was no settlement.
On a bush-track the family walked for 3 miles to the selection and spent the night in
a bark hut beloning to the late Thomas Torrens. Only 2 acres had been felled and the new arrivals found themselves hemmed in by scrub.
The selection comprised 200 acres but this was added to in the next few years until
Mr. Reddacliff had a total of 600 acres.
Doctors and nurses were a thing of the future, and a few months after her arrival
Mrs. Reddacliff returned to her parents on the Clarence, travelling to Lismore by horseback along the beach route. She was companied to the Richmond by Mr. Reddacliff and the late Tom Doran, who brought the two young children Nell and Will from Woodburn, Mr. Reddaclif went with the children by coach to the Clarence, where Grace Mrs. Walsh, (Main Arm) was born.
The Reddacliff selsection became the centre for the sparse population of the
Brunswick and a private post office was established. Later it was made a recieving office and later raised to the status of an official post office. When the railway was openend and Mullumbimby commenced to grow, the post office was removed there.
One of the most vivid incidents in the late Mrs. Reddacliff's life was nearly 70
years ago at her aunt's place, near Nymboida, where one day a stranger arrived and called for dinner, which he ate heartily, and for which he paid. It was learned shortly after that he was the notorious bush ranger, Thunderbolt. Some rather unnerving experiences also were had with the blacks, who sometimes were hostile on the Clarence.
The late Mrs. Reddacliff was an ardent worker for the Red Cross during the War
years and was interested in church work until the approach of old age. Both Mr. and Mrs. Reddacliff had much to do with the opening of the first school at Mullumbimby Grass in 1886.
In 1911 and again in 1924 the couple visited England ,returning on each occasion via America.
Parts are hard to read so we have typed it out word for word as it appeared .We believe it was written about
1949-1950 The interview refered to was with Walter Robert Reddaclif . One could say with reasonable certainity that most of the buildings mentioned are no longer standing . This item was typed 12/7/1999 some of the wording makes no sense and is spelt wrong but it is as is.
By Bullock Track to M'by
Old Resident Recalls the 80's
Some interesting facts about the early days of the district were brought to light in an interview by a staff
reporter with one of the districts oldest inhabitants, Mr. W. R. Reddacliff, last week. Mr. Reddacliff, who is 77 years old, came here in 1882 with his parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Reddacliff.
To get to Mullumbimby it was necessary to travel from Byron Bay to Brunswick Heads along the
beachand thence to Mullumbimby by boat or bullock track Mr. Reddacliff recalled that they left Byron Bay at 2 o'clock in the morning to get along the beach while the tide was out. After being bogged in quicksand at the Belongil they arrived at Brunswick in time for breakfast.The next stage of the journey was made by boat and the party landed behind where the bowling green now is and walked to Myocum.
Mullumbimby, when they arrived, consisted of two houses built on the river bank near where Mr. W. R. Squires now lives.
The original Post Office at Brunswick Heads was on North Beach, as also were the store and most of the residents. The Post Office was run by Captain Simpson. A few years after Mr. O'Mally was appointed Post Master and about 1890 a Post Office was built were Wakely's store now stands.Brunswick was realy going ahead by 1890 boasted four stores. Mr.Jacklun combined store keeping with butchering between the school and the river, Mr. Stone had a store on the North Beach and Mr. Haines was situated where Wraight's Bus terminal is now. Another store stood on what is Mallam's vacant allotment.The first hotel was owned by Mr. Marshal, who later built a hotel in Mullumbimby where the Court House
Hotel now stands, and another was later built by Mr. Harry Stone on the corner where Mallam's store is.The Police Station at Brunswick Heads was established in 1890and was complete with lock-up.
About every six weeks a boat called at Brunswick with provisions and loaded cadar.
A short time after a steamer from Brisbane also began to call for pine.The old wreck on the North side of the river was there before Mr. Reddacliff came to the distrirct.All provisions and mail came through Bruswick Heads and if you wanted to post a letter you had to take it to the Heads. After the railway went through Mullumbimby the Post Office was shifted and the complete Police Barracks transported.
The first hotel at Mullumbimby was built by Mr. McGowan and was near the present Council Chambers.
A store was built along side it by Mr. Livingstone. Mr. Reddacliff's father was the first blacksmith in the district and also owned the first cow.
To Mr. Reddacliff's knowledge there have only been two riots in Mullumbimby.
Mr. Alex Brown, who died recently at Coraki aged 90, was another old resident and helped to build the
Police Station at Brunswick. Another man who helped build the barracks was the first to be locked up in them.
To quote Mr. Reddacliff "after the line went through Mullumbimby the Heads went Bung" The first
school in Mullumbimby was built where the race course is. END
e- mail address
Start page
© Copyright B & M Chapman (QLD) Australia
Last revised: 03/04/2017.