TOWN OF MORPETH Hisrory
Town of Morpeth History.
- A book recently published,
is of great Historical value "Published July
2000". Following a lot of hard work by Ron Anderson.
The book is called Morpeth
- A view of Morpeth's early
history as seen through the eyes of the news media of the
time. It gives diferent views and variouse news items
relating to the people and events
- A book worth its historical
value, and can be obtained by contacting ." Ron
Anderson" on E-mail email@example.com
- Back To Surnames Back to Start page
- St James Church Morpeth
- Morpeth Church of England
contained has been compiled and organised from a short book
named, the 'Morpeth Story' 1821-1971 . A reprint of this book is
still avaliable .
- Following the begining of the settlement at Port
Jackson , Lieutenant Shortland was sent by the Govenor to
look for escaped convicts , who were believed to have
fled to the north of the settlement , this was in 1797.
In pursuit of the convicts, he sailed into a river which
he noted had "banks lined with coal ". He named
the river "Coal River" .
- The first settlement he founded was called Kings
Town . The name of the river was
- later changed to Hunter's River after the Govenor
of the time . It is now known as the Hunter River ,
whilst Kings Town is now the City of Newcastle.
- In 1801 a small party led by Lieutenant Colonel
Paterson found its way aboard the
- ship "Lady Nelson" to Raymond Terrace ,
Green Hills & Wallis Creek .
- Years prior to Lieutenant Colonel Paterson's
voyage , the French Revolution had
- commenced . This was the year 1798 , it reached
its climax in 1793 when a socialist state was set up .
This was not to remain as is . The void left by the lack
of a King was filled by Napoleon Bonaparte , who in due
course strived to bring all of Europe under French
Domination . An ensuing war followed with Admiral Nelson
taking care of Napoleon's Fleet & General Wellesley,
later the Duke Of Wellington his Armies . Napoleon's
power grew , England was percieved to be under threat ,
and a call to arms went out . Many answered the call to
colours , one being a 17 year old lad born at Rangamatty
India . This lad was Edward Charles Close . Following his
enlistment on 8th February 1808 initially training as an
Ensign , he was assigned to the North Hamptonshire
Regiment the H.M 48th Regiment of Foot . He was
eventually promoted to Lieutenant and became part of the
Heroes Of Talavera . This name was given to the Regiment
in which he served .
- Edward Charles Close was educated with the view
to becoming an ordained Minister of the Church , but
- Napoleon destroyed that idea .
- From 1808 to 1814 he served in Spain , fighting
battles at Talavera
-28/6/1809, : Busaco 27/9/1810 :
- Albuera (16/5/1811)
, : Vittoria
, Neville , Orthes 27/2/1814 :& Toulouse
- At the battle of Albuera, E.C.Close saw most of
his Battalion annihilated by the
- French , he was at this time 21 . He then vowed
to build a Church in thanks if his life was spared . As
fortune would have it his life was spared .
- On the third of August 1817 the 48th Regiment
with some of their families arrived in Port
- Jackson on board the Barque "MATILDA"
. E.C. Close remained enlisted for another 4 years
following his arrival at Port Jackson, taking his
discharge in 1821 . Following his discharge he took up a
land grant at Green Hills , Hunter's River as it was
- E . C. Close arrived at Morpeth in November of
1821 , and gradually began to establish a home for
- his wife Sophia Susannah Close (nee) Palmer and
eventually their children .. He found the area to be
dense in vegetation which the family began to clear .
Close had the help of ten servants (convicts) in his
task. His property was made up of the following 2
portions 1030 & 1020 acres, a Military grant .
- There was one hitch to the land granted to Edward
, Governor Brisbane had granted the high land to a
- private holder , it was to be reserved for public
interest . Governor Darling realized this and tried to
have the land resumed . Edward wished to be compensated
fairly for the hard work put in to clear the land and for
his house . A price could not be agreed and the land was
not resumed . Whilst this was going on Morpeth was
becoming an important river port for the Northern
interior with no vacant land left beside the wharves to
allow for the growth of Morpeth . Eventualy Edward did
release some land and this became Morpeth .
- About 1826 Edward built "Closebourn House
" in which he and his family lived until 1848 . He
- house to Bishop Tyrrell , it then became the
residence for the Bishop of Newcastle . He built what is
known as Morpeth House in 1852 and resided there untill
his death in 1866 .
- In 1857 E.C. Close jnr laid the foundation stone
for . St James
Church of England Morpeth
- ( but not during his own life time ) had (or
deligated his word to others) lived up to the promise he
made during the battle of . Albuera 16/5/1811
, Morpeth had begin to grow.
- © Copyright B & M Chapman
- Last revised: September 02, 2000.