Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Murray County, Georgia GAGenWeb Site, Tales, p. 2 Georg Wendel Silber
My German Immigrant Ancestor

Georg Wendel Silber was born June 27, 1731 in Wuerttemberg, Germany. We do not know any details about Georg's early childhood or family life. By reading the history about Germany at that time period we can determine why Georg decided to immigrate to the Colonies in the year 1749.

Germany, at that time had just endured a 30 year war. A lot of the people perished. They were paying heavy taxes on property that did not yield much
from the ground being frozen most of the year. The Germans, or "Palatines" were also being persecuted for religious reasons and then France's King
Louis XIV invaded their property leaving everything in ruins. They decided to flee for a better life, hopefully to the colonies in America. They also
thought their immigration would be more successful in mass numbers.

They boarded what small boats they had for the six week trip in freezing cold weather to Rotterdam, Holland. Before stopping at Rotterdam they had
to stop at Oppenheim, the Palatinate customs checkpoint. At Oppenheim the immigrants were checked for a release. Anyone not having a release were removed from the boat. Many avoided this checkpoint and joined up down river. From Rotterdam, they landed at the port of Deptford, or Cowes,
(Scotland) England. On arrival at Cowes, the immigrants were interrogated and those of the Catholic faith were removed and returned to Germany. At
this point they were considered refugees and were sent to refugee camps, or "Tent Cities." The Tent Cities were over crowded, dirty, and did not have any sanitary means.

When the ships did arrive, they were over packed. The water was undrinkable and the food was ridden with all kinds of vermin. Many people did not
survive the voyage.

The Immigrants were charged outlandish fees and if you could not pay your passage you were sold into bondage, sometimes up to five years.

Some of the Immigrants were set off the ship at different ports, such as Canada, Ireland, Australia, India, or Brazil. They were lucky if they
reached any port in the Colonies.

Georg Wendel Silber did reach the port of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on September 25, 1749. The name of the ship was, " HMS Speedwell." The
captain's name was James Creagh. The ship carried 240 souls aboard. Their round trip was made from Wuerttemberg, Germany to Rotterdam, Holland. From Rotterdam they went to Cowes, (Scotland) England and then to America. The ships manifest had Georg's name listed as "George (H) Silber." Georg probably could not read or write and his name was listed for him. The (H) was meant to be a (W).

After a stay in Pennsylvania, Georg made his way to Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, met a widow by the name of Margretha Schmiedin, and they
were married in the Evangelical Lutheran Augustus Church at Trappe, New Providence Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania on February 16, 1752. The names listed on their marriage record were Jurg Silber and Margretha Schmiedin.

The next year Margretha gave birth to a set of twins, Johann Jurg and Elizabeth Silber. They were baptized in the Lutheran Church on October 28,
1753. The names of the twins parents listed on the baptismal record were Jurg and Elizabeth Silber.

Sometime between 1767 and 1769, Jurg and Elizabeth moved their family to Berks County, Pennsylvania. They were blessed with another son named Jacob in 1765. Jacob was baptized at Christ ( Mertz's ) Lutheran Church in Rockland Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania on August 25, 1765. The names of Jacob's parents listed on his baptismal record were George and Elizabeth Margaretha Silber.

In 1767 George and Elizabeth were still living in Berks County, in Ruscomb Manor Township. The tax list for that year show George's name as being
George Silver instead of Silber.

Sometime between the year 1767 and 1774 George moved his family to Frederick County, Maryland where the court records show he had some land patented.

George and his family built themselves a plantation and in the will George had made on October 21, 1785 states that he was a farmer on his
plantation. In his will it also states that in the event of his death everything would go to his wife, nicknamed, "Sissy Market." George died soon after making out his will. His son George lists his father as deceased on December 7, 1785 after attesting his fathers will. George and Elizabeth's son Jacob was not mentioned in his will.

Johann Jurg Silber, Jr.

Johann Jurg Silber and his twin sister Elizabeth were baptized on October 28, 1753 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The names listed on their
baptismal record were Johann Jurg and Elizabeth Silber. Sometime later his father changed his name to George Silver or he changed it himself.

George, Jr. moved with his parents to Frederick County, Maryland between 1767 and 1774. He lived with his parents until he went into the
Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. He served between 1777 and 1783. At one time he served under General George Washington.

On April 12, 1782 he married Nancy Ann Griffith in Frederick County, Maryland. She was born in 1766 to Orlando and Elizabeth Gaither Griffith.

After the war ended in 1783, George, Jr. received a land grant in Kona, North Carolina. He did not make the move to Kona until after most of his
 children were born. The exact date of his move is not known. His eleventh child was born in Frederick County, Maryland in 1803. I believe he made
his move between 1803 and 1804. I also believe the house was built between 1803 and 1806.

George, Jr. and Nancy had 12 children, eight sons and four daughters: John, George 111, Elizabeth, Jacob, Sarah, Greenberry, Rachel, Henry, William, Nancy, Thomas, and Marvin.

George, Jr. settled his family in a Mountainous region in Burke County, Kona, North Carolina. The County now carries the name of Mitchell.

I believe George, Jr., with help from his many children started building the Silver Ancestral Log House. The house is a two story log structure with a
porch that runs the length of one side. It is almost 200 years old and is still in the Silver family.

 George, Jr. died of Typhoid Fever on July 8, 1839 at the age of 79. Nancy, his wife, died on April 30, 1849 at the age of 93. They are both buried in
 the Silver Cemetery, which is located on a hill behind the house next to the Kona Baptist Church.

 John Silver
 My Georgia Ancestor

John Silver was the first child born to George and Nancy Griffith Silver. He was born in Frederick County Maryland in the year 1786. He moved with his parents to North Carolina sometime between 1803 and 1804. The family settled in Kona, Burke County, North Carolina. The County was later named Mitchell.

John married Mary, last name unknown, about 1812. She was born around the year 1796 in North Carolina. John and Mary lived and raised all of their 11 children in or around Kona, North Carolina. John and Mary raised 8 boys and 3 girls. Nancy, William, John, Green B., Thomas, Elizabeth, Samuel, Mary, Marvel, Levi, and Jackson.

In the year 1843 John decided to move to Gilmer County, Georgia. Some of John and Mary's older children stayed in North Carolina and moved to
Georgia at a later date.

What caused John to pick up his family and move to Georgia? Could the reason have been land? The Georgia land lottery started in 1832. Was the reason gold? I think the reason was to distance his family from the tragedy of Charlie Silver's death. I think John took his family to Georgia to start
over and to get some needed piece and quiet.

John and Mary made their home in Gilmer County, Georgia. When Mary died, John moved to Talking Rock, Georgia in Pickens County around 1860. John died sometime after 1880 in Talking Rock. John was buried next to his wife in the Ball Creek Baptist Church Cemetery in Talking Rock, Georgia.

Thomas Jackson Silver

Thomas Jackson Silver was the second child born to John and Mary Silver. He was born around 1825 in, or near Cherokee, North Carolina.

In 1843 at the young age of 18, Thomas's parents decided to move to Gilmer County, Georgia. Thomas, at that time, decided not to make the move with them, instead he chose to remain in North Carolina and work for his father's brother, William Griffith Silver. William was born June 14, 1800 in
Frederick County, Maryland.

While staying at his uncle's house he fell in love with his uncle William's daughter, Mary Myra "Polly" Silver. She was born December 6, 1830 in North Carolina. Being first cousins was not a concern to Thomas and Polly, they wanted to get married anyway, but It did matter to Polly's parents, they forbid the union, which forced Thomas and Polly to elope. They grabbed two horses and with what clothes they had on their back, started across the rugged North Carolina mountains down into Georgia.

After they were married they settled at Cohutta Springs in Murray County, Georgia. The house was a two-room log house separated with a breeze-way. They lived there until Thomas purchased the Old Moore's Place at Cisco, Georgia on two lots of land at the foot of Doogan Mountain. They built themselves a fine house and paneled the inside with dressed lumber. The house had a picket fence around it and next to the fence they kept hives of bees. Out back of the house they had a apple orchard. Thomas also planted crops which brought in cash as well as food for his family.

During the Civil War, Thomas and several other men did not want to go to fight, so they hid out in a cave on Grassy Mountain. I was told by my
uncle Bill, that beside the cave was a rock that looked like a chair with a back and seat, not man made, but natural.

Thomas would make baskets and leave them at a designated spot somewhere on the mountain for Polly to pick up. In exchange she would leave food. Polly would take the baskets and sell them for money for the family. Times were so hard during and after the Civil War that Polly would dig out the dirt from her smokehouse floor to boil for the salt it contained.

Thomas and Polly had seven children, five boys and two girls: Ervin McKinzie, William Jackson, Sadina "Demmie", Mary Jane, Samuel Thomas,
Frank, and Harvey McDonald Silver.

Later in life Thomas had a stroke which put him in bed for 16 years. He suffered two more strokes and the last one killed him on March 23, 1907.
He is buried at MT. Sumach Baptist Church at Cisco, GA.

After the death of Thomas, Polly went to live with her son Harvey McDonald in Tennessee. During the time she was living in Tennessee the house at
Cisco burned. It is not known how the house caught fire.

While living in her son's home, Polly would make dresses and bedspreads from material woven from her loom. Polly taught her granddaughter, Dora, her ABC's by teaching her a poem. She lived almost 11 years in Harvey's house before her death on January 25, 1918. Before her death she had suffered a stroke and was ill for a long time. Polly is buried at Ball Play Baptist Church in Old Fort, Tennessee.

It is said that Polly never visited with her parents, or spoke to them until the day she died. She held a grudge against them because they did not want
her to marry Thomas. At one point in her life someone was sent to her home to see if she would except her inheritance and she refused to accept any
of it.

Before Harvey's death two men from North Carolina came to his house and asked him to settle his mothers inheritance. He refused. He said he would
honor his mother's wishes also.

William Jackson Silver

William Jackson Silver was the fifth child born to Thomas Jackson and Mary "Polly" Silver on January 2, 1852 in Murray County, Georgia. On February 28, 1889 William married Martha Jane "Mattie" White. She was born August 1, 1868 in Tennessee.

Not much is known about Will and Mattie, as they were known to family and friends. They had several residences around the area at Cisco, Georgia. At one time they lived in Long Hollow a few miles from Cisco off the Old Number 2 Highway going into the mountains.

Will and Mattie had 10 children, six boys and four girls. Walter, Benjamin, Eula, Liley, Charlie, Harvey, Ethel, Luther, Clara, and Clyde. Clara and
Luther were twins. The children did not have many years with their father. He died at the age of 58. My grandfather Charlie was 10 years old when his father, Will, died. His mother Mattie died at the age of 80 on January 14, 1948. They are both buried at Mt. Sumach Baptist Church at Cisco, Georgia.

My dad does not have many memories of his grandmother, Mattie. He did say that when he was young he would go check on her during the day and fix what needed fixing, especially her chicken coops.

Mattie's parents, David and Sara Hughes White, lived on top of Doogan Mountain in the house on the left side of the road. The spring they got
their drinking water from was on the right side of the road.

I can remember well living in this house with my family until it burned in the 1960's. This house was called, "The White House."

David White was the first to run a post office in the mountains down the road a piece from his house. His wife, Sara, also ran a post office across
the road from their house. David always rode his horse beside the wagon his wife and children rode in to protect them.

David White was born in November 1839 in Tennessee and died in Murray County, Georgia in 1913. Sara was born March 15, 1840 in Tennessee and died February 18, 1900 in Murray County, Georgia. They are both buried in the Hopewell Baptist Church Cemetery at Cisco, Georgia.

Any additional information, or pictures would be welcome.

Go to Tales, page 1

Back to Murray County, GA WebSite