Liberty County History
Liberty County, Georgia History
Liberty County is one of the original Georgia counties,
being created by the Constitution of February 5, 1777 from lands acquired
in the 1773 Creek cessions.
It was first settled around 1752 by a group of South Carolinians who had
moved south from Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1695. It was first called
the Midway District of Georgia. Around 1759, it was organized as St.
John's Parish. Liberty County was the site of several revolutionary
events and its name was derived from American liberty.
Liberty County was the home of the three signers of the Declaration of Independence:
Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett. Liberty County has also produced FIVE
governors of Georgia and THREE United States Senators from Georgia.