Colquitt County GAGenWeb, Monk House Postcard

The Monk House

Postcard of the Monk House

The house was built about 1900 by John Franklin Monk, son of Miles Monk, Sr., and Martha Ann Hancock, at a cost of $2,800.00. It had 8 bedrooms and stood on the corner of 1st Avenue, SE, and 5th St., SE, in Moultrie, until about 30 years ago, when, due to its deterioration, the remaining family had it razed. John Franklin Monk was a very astute businessman (a trait he probably inherited from his father, Miles) and was a very wealthy man. Of the 17 children of John Franklin Monk and his wife, Rachel Matilda Clark, only one is living today, a son who was born in 1914.

The site of the home was just a few blocks from the present day Odom Genealogical Library and Colquitt County Museum.

A big thank you goes to Jan Thurmond for the information!


Home

© 2001-2013 by Jacki Jonas
2013 - Present The GAGenWeb Project
This GAGenWeb page was last updated on Saturday, 11-Jan-2014 10:30:04 MST.