Carroll County Surnames, Queries & Links to Family Websites
If you are researching a Carroll County family, you may list your surnames here with your email contact address for others that may be researching the same names. You may add a brief description of the information you need. Please send the surnames you are researching indicating whether or not to include your e-mail as a contact address.
In addition, space is being provided for a link to your Family Web pages if
you have one. This is not intended for publishing family trees but
only a link to an existing page. If you do not have a family web page, you
might consider preparing your information in a biography format (See
and we can then publish it on the Biography and Family Sketches page.
Queries on RootsWeb Message Boards
Queries on Genforum Message Boards
Also search the archives of the Carroll County Mailing List at RootsWeb
|SURNAME||FAMILY WEB PAGE LINK||RESEARCH CONTACT|
|COLEMAN(See Below 2)||Woody Coleman|
|HERRIN (See Below 1)||Clarke Rodgers|
|MOORE FAMILY||Gerald Moore|
|Shackelford Homepage||Kenny Shackleford|
|STRINGER, JACKSON, WRIGHT, COLE,
|WILLIAMS AND ALLIED FAMILIES||WILLIAMS AND ALLIED FAMILY FILES||Dennis W. Williams|
|TOMMIE, TOMME, GAMBLE, NIX AND PITS||Linda Davis|
|CULPUPPER||GEORGIA CULPEPPER ARCHIVES|
|HURT, THOMAS||HURT WEB SITE||Pam Sutton|
|YOUNG, ADAM JACOB||Kathy Pitts|
|ROOP/RUPPE, ETAL||RUPPE GENEALOGY||Patrick Ruppe|
|WALTON FAMILIES||http://pknpqdm.tribalpages.com/||Bobby Brooks|
1. HERRIN, Would like any information on the William E. Herrin family.
Greetings: I'm researching the family of Henry Allen and Sarah Ann (Barnes) COLEMAN of Carroll county,GA.
H.A. Coleman, 1814-1890, moved from Cobb county to the 6th district in Carroll county about 1857 and lived there until his death. His wife Sarah was the daughter of James P. BARNES of Cobb county, formerly of DeKalb county.
The children of H.A. Coleman were: James P. Coleman b. 1833 marrried Mary A. McCLELLAND, Nancy C. Coleman b. 1834 married Phillip M. WHISENHUNT, Jr., Sarah J. Coleman b. 1836 married William G. McCLELLAND, William A. Coleman b. 1838 married (1st) Cynthia F. RIGGS (2) Clara E. KOLB (3rd) Mary Elin Daniel BAILEY, John H. Coleman b. 1840 married Sarah E. PENTECOST; Rebecca C. Coleman b. 1843 married Zachery Taylor ADAMS; Elizabeth Coleman b. 1844; Mary F. Coleman b. 1845; Martha Coleman b. 1847 and Eliza M. Coleman b. 1850.
I'd be happy to hear from anyone who is also researching these family groups.
Thanks: Woody Coleman >email@example.com
PUCKETT, ANDREW JACKSON AND FRANCES ROBERTS PUCETT
I am researching the Andrew Jackson Puckett & Frances Roberts Puckett family of Coweta Co. GA. The children lived in Paulding, Carroll, Troup, Pickens, Greene & Forsyth Co. GA. Also in Southwest AR, Eastern AL & Upshur Co, TX. Andrew Jackson & Frances married in Coweta Co. in 1837. One of the sons had the name of "Tillero" & this unusual name was also found in the Davidson, King, Smith & McClain families of the same areas & time frame.
The children of Andrew Jackson Puckett & Frances Roberts Puckett:
1. Elizabeth - was in the 1910 Troup Co. GA census, as Eliz Harris, living with dau, Mandy/Amanda (her name was Samuels so maybe she was marr before) & Mandy's husb, James Culbertson. Eliz was born in the White Oak Community in Coweta Co. In the 1870 Forsyth Co. Ga census, James & Eliz have a 10 yr old in the h/h named Eliza Jones. Wonder who she is? Maybe from another marriage?
2. Mary Ann - First marr was to a Marcus deLafayette Smith who died during the CW. Second marr to Wm Lawrence Hogan III in Randolph Co. AL. Buried in Carroll Co. GA. I am in touch with several of her desc. Have pictures.
3. Lucinda - married Peter E. Duncan/Dunkin - his 2nd marriage. Had one known dau, Margaret/Maggie (b 1868). Lucinda's husb, Peter Dunkin d 1879. She is living with her bro, Joseph Richard Puckett & w/Epsie (Grubbs) in the 1880 Haralson Co. GA census. In the 1900 Carroll Co. GA census, Maggie has my grandfather, who was her cousin, in the h/h. They are in the h/h of a Lattimer family. Don't know who they are & Lucinda isn't listed. By 1900, Joseph Richard & his family have moved to Columbia Co. AR but don't know if the ladies went with them.
4. John A. - married a Nell Fuller, moved to Upshur Co, TX in about 1888. Had at least one & maybe 2 other marriages. Had 3 children, Robert, Newt & Ida Frances. Ida married a "Nipper" in Upshur Co. In the 1910 U Co. census, his wife is a Martha. A grandson by the last name of Cornett in the h/h. In the 1930 U Co. census, John A. & his dau, Ida Frances, are living with a Johnnie & Mattie Nipper.
5. Wm Samuel - my line, I think I sent you that. Have pictures.
6. James Tillero/Tillaro/Tillerow - marr Eliza Clementine Duke went to Upshur/Camp/Wood Co, TX. Committed suicide. I have picture of Tillero & family.
7. Geo W. - married Ana/Anna Fuller in 1872. Had at least one other marr - maybe to a Barbara Ann? Died 1939 Carroll Co. GA, (Villa Rica) & buried in New Hope Primitive Baptist Cemetery in Villa Rica.
8. Joseph Richard - married Epsie Grubbs, in the 1880 Haralson Co. GA census. By about 1888, he had moved to Columbia Co. AR & think he went on to CA. Had another marriage. I am in touch with 3 of his desc. At least one of his children, (Andrew T.) went into LA.
9. Mittie A. - Married Pete Embrey/Embree. Found her as a widowed school teacher in the 1920 Pickens Co. GA census. She was in Troup Co. in 1880 & had daughters, Mary 21 , Sallie/Sarah 18, Tommie 13 & possibly an Effie 17. No husb at that time.
10. Andrew Phillip - died at 20 yrs of age of pneumonia. Have picture of him.
Any info on these folks appreciated. Have info & pictures to share.
Thanks,Diane P. Ethridge, Conroe, TX
FORTNER, THOMAS J., LUCY A.
shapactek (View posts) Posted: 4 Feb 2009 5:44AM GMT Thanks again..here is my email address. firstname.lastname@example.org
Classification: Query Surnames: Fortner I'm looking for information about Thomas J. Fortner born 1854, Carrol County, Villa Rica, Georgia, USA.
I'm trying to find out his wife Lucy's maiden name and also any information on his parents. I think his fathers name was William. his mother's maybe Jane but I don't have a maiden name. But I'm not sure really of either first name.
Also I was trying to find out where in Carroll Co Thomas died and what cemetery he's buried.
Also Thomas died 5-17-1923 but the date is all I can find, no other information was given to me. I hope this is enough information to help. Thank you. Shapactek
Death Index FORTNER LUCY A MAY. 22, 1938 11255 Copies of death certificates are not on line for 1938. Sorry but at least you have the certificate No. 11255. I believe you can order a copy of the certificate from Carroll Co. Probate Court. Cost $10.00 I think .
FORTNER THOMAS, J., INF OF MAY. 17, 1923 13265-E Infant of Thomas J. Fortner, Death certificate No. 13265-E. Buried at Powell Chapel United Methodist Church.
1880 Census: Page
70C 38 FORTNER Thomas J. W M 24 SELF FARMER GA GA GA 70C 39 FORTNER Lucy A. W F 23 WIFE GA GA GA 70C 40 FORTNER Allice M. W F .2/12 DTR GA GA GA 174B 39 FORTNER WILLIAM W M 82 SELF FARMER SC VA VA 174B 40 FORTNER JANE W F 71 WIFE GA GA GA 174B 41 SMITH SARAH W F 42 OTHER GA SC GA 174B 42 WILLIAMS GEORGIAN W F 24 DTR GA GA GA 174B 43 WILLIAMS MARTHA W F 10 G.DTR GA GA GA 174B 44 WILLIAMS JOHN W M 8 G.SON GA GA GA 174B 45 WILLIAMS LUCINDA W F 3 G.DTR GA GA GA 174B 46 LONG MARTHA M W F 22 DTR GA GA GA
121A VILLA RICA FORTNER WILLIAM 66 SC 121A VILLA RICA FORTNER JANE 53 GA 121A VILLA RICA FORTNER THOMAS J 15 GA
1860 census Page 518 518 12 34 34 FORTNER WILLIAM 51 M FARMER SC 518 13 34 34 FORTNER JANE 48 F GA 518 14 34 34 FORTNER ELIZABETH 23 F SC 518 15 34 34 FORTNER TABITHA 12 F SC 518 16 34 34 FORTNER NATHAN 16 M SC 518 17 34 34 FORTNER THOMAS 4 M GA
1850 census, Page 167 167 1 Fortener William 48 m SC (Born 1802) 167 2 Fortener Louise 40 f SC 167 3 Fortener Jane 13 f SC 167 4 Fortener Gilbert 12 m SC 167 5 Fortener William 11 m SC 167 7 Fortener Leroy 6 m SC 167 6 Fortener Nathaniel 8 m SC 167 8 Fortener Letha 2 f SC CARROLL COUNTY MARRIAGES: FORTNER WILLIAM NORMAN LINDA C 26 JUL 1881 FORTNER THOMAS J. REYNOLDS NANCY ANN 24 APR 1879 (This is the only marriage record I see Not sure it is Lucy a.?)
1920 CARROLL CO. CENSUS, PAGE 55, SERIES T625, ROLL 238, KANSAS DIST. FORTNER, T. J. HEAD AGE 66 BN IN GA., FATHER BORN, S. C., MOTHER BN. GA LUCY A WIFE AGE 66 GA GA GA RONE DTR. AGE 25 GA GA GA SINGLE
1910 CARROLL CO., CENSUS, PAGE 277, SERIES T624, ROLL 176 FORTNER TOM J HEAD AGE 57 M31YRS BN IN GA., SC U. S. LUCY A WIFE AGE 58 GA SC SC MELTON A. SON AGE 22 GA GA GA MONTIE J (?) SON 20 ROXEY A DTR 16 DESSER M DTR 15 MARTHA J DTR 13
1900 CENSUS, PAGE 190, SERIES T623, ROLL 184 FORTNER, THOMAS J HEAD AGE 44 BN. JULY 1853 GA SC GA LUCY A WIFE AGE 45 BN. MAY 1855 GA SC SC LORA D DTR 15 JAN. 1885 LUCY C DTR 13 FEB. 1887 MELTON A SON 12 APR. 1888 MONTAZUMA SON 10 APR. 1890 ROXIE A DTR 8 APR. 1892 ESSIE M DTR 6 MAY 1894 MARTHA J DTR 4 APR. 1896
LIVING WITH THE WILLIAM BOYD FAMILY FORTNER LUDI L DTR 16 BN APR. 1884 FORTNER THOMAS J., JR. SON-IN-L 18 BN AUG,. 1881
Return to Home Page