Family of Chandler Hickox (1782-1870)
of CT, NY (?), OH, and MI
From his birth in Connecticut on 27 Nov. 17811,
the early half of the life of Chandler Hickox remains obscure. He has not
been located in any census prior to 1830, nor has record of his marriage
to Ruth Reed been uncovered. As she was born 20 Jun. 18032,
it is unlikely that they were married much before 1822, when Chandler
would have been 40. This suggests that Chandler may have been married
previously. One possibility for this earlier marriage can be found in
Paris, Oneida Co., NY, where on 15 May 1808, a Chandler Hickcox married
Dolly Brooks3. Additional research is needed
to determine if this is the same Chandler who would later marry Ruth Reed.
Chandler Hickox and Ruth Reed, daughter of Roswell and Eunice (Case) Reed
of Granby, Canton, and Hartland, CT4,
were married about 1825, presumably in CT. By 1828, when daughter
Abigail was born5, they were in Ridgefield Twp., Lorain
Co., Ohio, where he then appears in the 1830 census as Chandler Heakok, and
where their subsequent children were born. Chandler and Ruth continued to live in
Ridgefield Twp. through 1850, but they had probably moved on by 1857, when they fail
to appear in a published atlas. At least by 1860, they were in neighboring
Dover, Cuyahoga Co., OH, but probably did not remain long. In 1861,
son Henry enlisted in the Civil War from Byron, Kent Co., Michigan, followed
by his brothers Lucius and Hanibal in 18656.
Chandler and Ruth accompanied or followed their sons to Byron, and it was
there that Ruth died in April 1869, aged 627.
Chandler is found living there with his son Lucius in 1870, and died later
that same year, on 23 Aug. 1870. While in earlier censuses, he is said to
have been a farmer, his death record calls him a millwright8.
Chandler and Ruth (Reed) Hickox had the following children, all born in OH:
- son b. bef. 1830, ? d. bef. 1840
- Abigail J., b. 19 Feb 1828, m. 12 Jul. 1866 Elijah McKinney9
- son b. bef. 1830
- dau. b. 1830-1835
- William C., b. 1833. A widower living with sister Caroline in Oregon from 1900 to 1920, his wife may have been the 'Clemina Hickof' d. 5 Jul. 1867 at Byron10 (or else she was wife of Hannibal).
- Henry H., b. 1838. Enlisted at Byron in 2nd MI Cav. 3 Sep. 1861, and died from exposure 16 May 1862, Evansville, Ill.11
- Volney V., b. 1840.
- Hanibal H., b. 1842, enlisted in 10th MI Cav., 11 Mar. 1865. With sister Caroline Reed in MI in 1880.
- Lucius L., b. 1843, enlisted in 10th MI Cav., 6 Mar. 1865.
- Cynthia J., b. 1845.
- Caroline L., b. 1847, m. her cousin Averitt C. Reed, and moved to Oregon by 1900.
Ancestry Chart for Averitt and Caroline (Hickox) Reed
My Interest in this Family
Back to Home Page
1. Although a family tradition gives him a New York birth, his birth is consistantly placed in Connecticut by contemporary documentation (1850, 1860, 1870 censuses, 1870 Michigan death record). Record of his birth is not to be found among the Connecticut Vital Records collected by Bowman. His date of birth comes from his death record recording his age as 88 years, 8 months, and 26 days at the time of his death, 23 Aug. 1870.
2. From John Case and his Descendants, Ruth Cost Duncan, 1991. The original source for this date is unclear.
3. This information was abstracted from the LDS IGI. It's accuracy has yet to be confirmed by consulting the primary source. This New York connection may account for the tradition of possible NY origin which has survived.
4. John Case and his Descendants.
5. History of Kent County, MI, 1860. (supplied by Jake Weller)
6. From Civil Soldier War Database, not confirmed in primary records.
7. Michigan GENDIS death record for Ruth Hickox. Her age is given as 62, which is about 4 years too young based on published birthdate and 1850 and 1860 censuses.
8. GENDIS death record for Chandler Hickox.
9. History of Kent County, MI, 1860. (supplied by Jake Weller)
10. GENDIS death record for Clemina Hickof.
11. A Hundred Battles in the West . . . The Second Michigan Cavalry Marshall P. Thatcher, 1884.