Lincolnshire logo

Humberstone (Humberston)


Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 637
1861 R.G. 9 / 2390
1871 R.G. 10 / 3415
1891 R.G. 12 / 2620

Church History

St. Peter's Church


Church Records


Civil Registration


Description and Travel

Humberstone is both a village and parish south-east of Grimsby. Clee parish borders to the north, Waltham parish to the west, and North Summercoates parish is to the south. The North Sea provides the remaining eastern boundery. The area is about 2,360 acres, but used to be much larger.

Humberston (as it is now spelled) is a large village just south of Cleethorpes, only two miles from the coast, off of the A1031 trunk road along the coast. If you are planning a visit:






Military History


Military Records

For a photograph of the Humberston War Memorial and the names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

There are two Commonwealth War Graves in Humberstone Cemetery from World War II.

  1. Arthur Georege Errol GOULDING, trooper, 4/7 Royal Armour Corps, died 10 Apr. 1947.
  2. Claude Augustus GREEN, captain, 6th Btln. KOYLI, age 51, died 14 Dec. 1940.

Names, Geographical


Names, Personal


Politics and Governance

  • This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.

  • The parish was in the ancient Bradley Haverstoe Wapentake in the Central Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.

  • On 1 October, 1922, the parish was reduced by 603 acres to enlarge Cleethorpes Civil Parish.

  • On 1 April, 1968, the parish was enlarged by 41 acres when Weelsby Civil Parish was abolished.

  • You may contact the local Humberston Village Parish Council regarding civic or politcal issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.

  • District governance is provided by the North-East Lincolnshire Council.

  • Top

    Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Grimsby petty session hearings every other Tuesday.

  • Matthew HUMBERSTONE's bequest to build an almshouse finally was realised about 1821 when six almshouses were purchased for the poor men and women of the parish. At least one of those was still in use in 1891.

  • As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Caistor Poor Law Union.

  • On 1 April, 1897, the parish was transfered to the newly established Grimsby Poor Law Union.

  • Lynn MUSSELWITHE provides a photograph of an 1910 Sunday School outing given to her by the son of the baby in the pram. The Almshouses are still there, now modernised for private use.

  • Top


        Year  Inhabitants
    1801 199
    1831 258
    1851 259
    1871 254
    1881 264
    1891 254
    1901 234
    1911 388
    1921 609
    1931 1,096



    Return to the Alphabetical Index

    Last updated on 1-December-2015
    Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

    © 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project