Leicestershire EnglandGenWeb Project
Part of The EnglandGenWeb Project
Welcome to Leicestershire GenWeb. The aim of this site is to provide some help to those researching their family history in the Leicestershire area. If you have any ideas or suggestions, or links that you would like to see on this site, please email Jayne Primmer, County Coordinator. Queries regarding specific families should go to one of the Queries Boards listed below.
- Leicestershire and Rutland Family History Society
- Leicestershire Record Office
- Leicestershire Libraries
- Leicestershire Look-up Exchange
- Leicestershire Surnames List
- Leicestershire Parishes
- Census Online - Leicestershire, Census Records Links to Online Census Records
Leicestershire Parish and Probate Records, hosted by Ancestry.com
- UK BMD - Leicestershire Births, Marriages, Deaths and Censuses on the Internet
- Family Search - IGI Online Free searchable database of parish records
- FreeBMD (Birth, Marriage and Death records Database)
- FreeREG (Baptism, Marriage, and Burial records Database)
- The General Register Office hold all the Certificates of Birth, Death and Marriage for England and Wales since 1837. They also hold Adoption Certificates.
- Antony Lambert's Certificate Service Antony runs a low cost 'not for profit' B D & M Certificate Service for those overseas:
Pay with a Non Sterling cheque and get them direct from the local office of the
- BMD-Certificates Order UK (England & Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) birth, marriage or death certificates. Serves UK, European and International customers.
- Bottesford Marriages Marriages in the parish of Bottesford Leicestershire 1563-1812 - transcribed by Guy Etchells
- Hoton Parish Records Marriages 1654 to 1826 Marriages in the Parish of Hoton Leicestershire 1654-1826 - transcribed by Guy Etchells
- Quorndon Marriages 1576-1837 Marriages from the Parish of Quorndon Leicestershire 1576-1837 - transcribed by Guy Etchells
- Eastwell Marriages 1588 - 1749 and 1754 - 1832 Leicestershire - transcribed by Guy Etchells
- Ratcliffe Culey Burials Burials at All Saints Church Ratcliffe Culey Leicestershire - transcribed by Martyn Parsons
- Ratcliffe Culey; Marriages 1815-1925 Marriages from the Leicestershire parish of Ratcliffe Culey 1815-1925 - transcribed by Martyn Parsons
- Wartnby Marriages 1635-1838 Marriages in the Parish of Wartnby Leicestershire 1635-1838 - transcribed by Guy Etchells
- Welford Rd. Cemetery Monumental Inscriptions from Welford Rd. Cemetary Leicester
- Workhouses and Poor Law Unions in England Contains information relating to individual workhouses in Leicestershire
- Leicestershire Roots
- GENUKI Leicestershire
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild.
- The Guild of One Name Studies
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
- Cyndi's List.
- Leicestershire Old Maps, hosted by Rootsweb
- City of Leicester
- The Domesday Book Includes sections on The Domesday Story, Landowners, Place Name Origins, etc.
- Latin Words to Recognise
in old parish registers hosted by Rootsweb as part of the FreeREG Project
- Rank, Professions, Occupations and Trades, compiled by John Hitchcock
If you have a query regarding your Leicestershire family research, why don't you try looking on one of the following message boards to see if anyone is searching for the same family? If not, you can post details of your own ancestor on a bulletin board so someone else can see it.
Ancestry/Rootsweb Message Board
Genforum Message Board
ENG-LEI-BARWELL-L - A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the town of Barwell, Leicestershire, England.
To join ENG-LEI-BARWELL-L, send an email to ENG-LEI-BARWELL-Lemail@example.com with the single word "subscribe" (without the quotes) in the message subject and body.
ENG-LEI-RATBY-L - A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the town of Ratby, Leicestershire, England.
To join ENG-LEI-RATBY-L, send an email to ENG-LEI-RATBY-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org with the single word "subscribe" (without the quotes) in the message subject and body.
LEICESTERSHIRE-PLUS-L - A mailing list for anyone with an interest in genealogy, family surname origins, or historical research related to the counties of Leicestershire and Rutland, England.Personal Genealogy Homepages
To join LEICESTERSHIRE-PLUS-L, send an email to LEICESTERSHIRE-PLUS-Lemail@example.com with the single word "subscribe" (without the quotes) in the message subject and body.
If you have a personal genealogy website relating to your family research in Leicestershire and would like a link to it on this site, please e-mail me with the website URL and brief details of the surnames you are researching.
Local History Resources
You will be able to find more general information about the Leicestershire area on the Local Government
pages for the area. Other good links are About Leicestershire : A Guide to its Towns and Villages
or Leicestershire, Past and Present.
Also try the new location based family history search at Curious Fox.
There is currently a feature on the BBC website 'Local Legends' about Richard III. There are also other links to local history sources.
You may find that although part of the Family History is based in Leicestershire there are links to other areas. To view the GenWeb pages for the counties surrounding Leicestershire, click on the map.
Questions and/or comments about the Leicestershire,
should be directed to Jayne Primmer, County Coordinator.
© 2003-2005 EnglandGenWeb Project