Adderbury War Memorial : World War 2
Banburyshire Family History

A site designed for you to share your family history with others from the Banbury area

skip to links

go back to the last page you were on Adderbury War Memorial : World War 2

Those who died in World War 2

World War 2 - Names on the War Memorial in the church at Adderbury

Plaques on the War Memorial
inside the parish church

Trevor Hughes BAYLEY
Sub-Lieutenant, HMS Martin, Royal Navy
He died on 10 November 1942. He was 21
He was the son of Thomas Henry and Frederica Elizabeth Bayley of Banbury
He has no known grave but he is remembered on panel 51 1 of the Chatham Naval Memorial
Additional information
He was serving on HMS Martin which was a M Class Destroyer which was built by Vickers Armstrong and commissioned 4 Apr 1942
She was lost on 10 November 1942 when she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U431 northeast of Algiers in position 37°53'N, 03°57'E.
161 officers and men went down with the ship. There 63 survivors.
The Commanding Officer was Commander Charles R P Thomson, RN from 10 December 1941 to 11 November 1942. He had been awarded the DSO on 25 August 1942
Denis Cecil BRENNAN
Sergeant (Wireless Operator, Air), 40 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Service no. 1604226
He was killed in action on 7 July 1944. He was 19
He was the son of John and Violet A Brennan of Adderbury West
He is buried in grave Coll. grave 8 A 1-7 Klagenfurt War Cemetery
Additional information
40 Squadron was initially formed at Gosport on 26 February 1916. When it reformed on 1 April 1931, the squadron adopted the day bomber role equipped with Gordons at Upper Heyford. It moved to RAF Wyton where it converted to Blenheims. In November 1940 the squadron moved over the night bombing role when it received Wellingtons.
From October 1941 it sent aircraft to Malta on a rotational basis whilst continuing to operate from the UK. On 14 February 1942 the detachment in Malta took over the 40 number. The element in the UK was re-numbered 156.
40 Squadron moved to Egypt then Tunisia and in December 1943 moved to Italy where it was able to add the Balkans and Northern Italy to its targets.
On 6/7 July 1944 it attacked the German fighter base at Fels am Wagram in Lower Austria. 47 bombers (Lancaster, Wellington and Halifax) took off from Italy and hit the fighter base. 13 of the bombers were downed by German night fighters.
40 Squadron lost LN759 and LP210 over Austria
Klagenfurt War Cemetery is the only War Cemetery in Austria and many British Prisoners of War are also buried there.
Edward CHURN
Guardsman, 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards Service No: 2659959
Age: 28 Date of Death: 23/09/1943
He was the son of Harry and Jane Churn, of Adderbury
He is buried in grave III A 43 Salerno War Cemetery
Additional information
The invasion of Italy. The 3rd Battalion landed at Salerno as part of the 201st Guards Brigade, and on 10 September it was first involved in heavy and confused fighting which lasted four days, until it established itself in the line of a canal four miles inland.
The precise circumstances of his death have not been established
Second World War Roll of Honour, Adderbury

Second World War Roll of Honour

Flight Sergeant, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Service no. 944083
He died on 30 May 1942. He was 22 and a native of Adderbury
He was the son of William Henry and Blanche Evelyn Cook of Avon Dassett
He has no known grave but he is remembered on panel 73 of the Runnymede Memorial
Additional information
The record is not clear but Tom Cook was based at Upper Heyford but they were flying from the relief RAF station at Barford St John whilst new runways were prepared at Upper Heyford.
Warrant Officer Ernest Smith, flying a Wellington from 16 Operational Training Unit at Upper Heyford, got into a spin in cumulo-nimbus cloud ten miles east of Southwold. At 2,000 feet he ordered his crew to bale out. They were still over the sea, but three of them went. They had been within sight of the coast as they parachuted down but the most intensive search failed to find them and they were presumed lost at sea.
Raymond Ronald DAY
Private, 2nd Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment. Army no. 5184270
He died on 14 March 1945. He was 24
He was the son of William H and Laura L Day and the brother of William
He is buried in grave 11 C 3 Berlin 1939-1945 War Cemetery
Additional information
He died of Dysentery whilst he was being held as a PoW by the Germans. It is not clear precisely when he was captured but it was probably at a village called Cassel in the period 26-29 May
The information does not include how or where he died but he was POW number 10804 held in Stalag XX-A which was in Torun, Poland
William Walter DAY
Driver, Petrol Company, Royal Army Service Corps, 4th Division. Army no. T/66540
He died on 27 May 1940. He was 21
He was the son of William H and Laura L Day and the brother of Raymond
He has no known grave but he is remembered on Column 135 of the Dunkirk Memorial
The evacuation by sea from Dunkirk took place from 27 May to 4 June 1940. His brother's Regiment, The Glosters played a key role. The 2nd Battalion went to the hilltop town of Cassel and the 5th Battalion to the small village of Ledringhem. Here they were told to hold these villages to the 'last man, last round'.
The advancing German Army were delayed which enabled over 330,000 men of the British Expeditionary Force to escape
Robert Frederick Stanley DUNKLEY
Sergeant (Air Gunner), 166 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Service No: 1625326
He died on 5 May 1943. He was 33
He was the son of Robert and Winifred Ann Dunkley; husband of Elizabeth Dunkley of Cambridge.
He is buried in grave Coll. grave 6 G 13-19 Berlin 1939-1945 War Cemetery
Additional information
No.166 Squadron was first formed in 1918. The Squadron reformed in 1936 as a heavy-bomber squadron. In January 1943, 142 and 150 Squadrons were amalgamated into 166 at Kirmington, Lincolnshire This was a bomber squadron flying Wellingtons which immediately joined the night bombing offensive. They re-equipped with Lancasters in September 1943.
596 aircraft - 255 Lancasters, 141 Halifaxes, 110 Wellingtons, 80 Stirlings, 10 Mosquitos - on the largest 'non-1,000' raid of the war to date and the first major attack on Dortmund. 31 aircraft - 12 Halifaxes, 7 Stirlings, 6 Lancasters, 6 Wellingtons - lost, 5.2 per cent of the force. A further 7 aircraft crashed in bad weather at the bomber bases. The initial Pathfinder marking was accurate but some of the backing-up marking fell short. A decoy fire site also attracted many bombs. But half of the large force did bomb within 3 miles of the aiming point and severe damage was caused in central and northern parts of Dortmund.
Peter James HARTCUP
Sub-Lieutenant, HMS Mohawk, Royal Navy
He was killed in action on 16 April 1941. He was 22
He was the son of Capt. John and Violet Hartcup of Adderbury
He has no known grave but he is remembered on panel 45, column 2 of the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.
Additional information
HMS Mohawk was a Tribal Class Destroyer Built by Thornycroft and commissioned on 7 September 1938
She was lost on 16 April 1941 in position 34.56N, 11.42E
HMS Mohawk sailed for Malta arriving there on 13th October 1938. Then she was in Gibraltar, cruising among the Greek Islands and visiting Athens, Greece. In 1940, she was engaged in convoy escorts and fleet sweeps in the North Sea and Atlantic.
The Admiralty, anticipating Italian aggression in the Mediterranean, decided to move destroyers there to help screen the big ships. HMS Mohawk and HMS Nubian, as part of the 14th Destroyer Flotilla (14th DF), were among the first vessels selected to escort capital ships in this area. At 16.45 hours on 10 June 1940, Italy declared war.
On 10/11 April 1941, she and HMS Jervis, HMS Janus and HMS Nubian arrived at Malta. After two night patrols nothing was sighted, however, on 15 April, Allied reconnaissance located a Tripoli bound convoy off Cape Bon. The 14th DF and made contact just off the coast of Africa. A fierce battle developed. Smoke, explosions, shell splashes, burning ships and torpedoes confused the night sea.
During the action, Mohawk evaded a bow ramming from the lead German merchantman in the convoy. Just as the destroyer opened fire, a torpedo from the Italian destroyer Tarigo hit her just abreast of 'Y' mounting on the starboard side. The whole of the stern from the superstructure aft was blown away and Mohawk was awash as far as ''X mounting. The crew of 'Y' gun and the supply party were all killed. 'A' and 'B' guns continued firing on the merchantman and set her on fire. During this time, Mohawk had been motionless in the water. Just as the destroyer made an attempt to get under way, a second torpedo arrived hitting portside between No. 2 and No. 3 Boiler Rooms. The No.3 boiler burst, scalding people on deck.
The centreline of the upper deck split open allowing the torpedo tubes to fall into the engine room and crushed the watch below. Immediately HMS Mohawk started to sink. All remaining hands were called to deck. Within a minute, she was listing heavy to port, rolling over until she lay on her side. There was no time to launch lifeboats but six 'Carleys' managed to float clear. Most of the crew were left in the water as Mohawk sank. Her stern touched the bottom with her fo'c'sle above the surface.
Survivors were picked up by HMS Nubian (Cdr. R.W. Ravenhill, RN) while HMS Janus (Cdr. J.A.W. Tothill, RN) was ordered to sink the dying destroyer by firing 4.7" shells into her fo'c'sle. HMS Mohawk slipped beneath the surface and 41 men were lost with her.
Her Commanding Officer was Cdr. John William Musgrave Eaton, RN 19 October 1939 - 16 April 1941
Arthur Gerald KIRBY
Fusilier, 8th Battalion, The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). Army no. 14645228
He died on 16 February 1944 during the second Battle for Monte Cassino. He was 20
He was the son of Frederick J S and Elizabeth E Kirby of Twyford Wharf and the brother of Cecil
He has no known grave but he is remembered on panel 5 of the Cassino Memorial
Cecil Ernest KIRBY
Trooper, 49th (West Riding) Reconnaissance Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps.
Army no. 2618216
He died on 23 November 1944. He was 24
He was the son of Frederick J S and Elizabeth E Kirby of Twyford Wharf and the brother of Arthur
He is buried in grave 4, Row 2 Maasbree Roman Catholic Cemetery, Holland
Additional information.
His unit had landed in Normandy in June and fought its way north through Belgium to Holland. It was the first unit to enter Amsterdam
Banbury Guardian Thursday December 21 1944.
Death of C.E.Kirby
"We regret to announce that Mr and Mrs F Kirby of Twyford Wharf have received notification that their son Trooper Cecil Ernest Kirby was killed in action in November. He was very well known and liked in Adderbury where he was once a member of the Parish Church.
He had five brothers with the forces. The youngest Private Arthur Gerald Kirby of the Fusiliers has been missing since February last. Three other brothers are still serving with the forces and the fifth has been discharged."
Richard David Sutton RYMAN
Petty Officer Stoker, HMS Hunter, Royal Navy. Service no. D/K 60390
He was killed on 10 April 1940. He was 39
He was the son of Philip and Annie Ryman and the husband of Lily Ryman, Adderbury
He has no known grave but he is remembered on panel 40, column 2 of the Plymouth Naval Memorial
Additional information
HMS Hunter was part of the 2nd Destroyer Flotilla in 1st Battle of Narvik. She, together with HMS Hardy, HMS Havock, HMS Hostile and HMS Hotspur carried out a successful attack on German destroyers. Two of these German destroyers, Anton Schmitt and Wilhelm Heidkamp were sunk along with several merchant ships.
On withdrawing to sea the 2nd Destroyer Flotilla met further German destroyers and in a brief action HMS Hardy was badly hit from gunfire from the German destroyer Georg Thiele, her bridge, wheelhouse and forward guns being knocked out. Out of control, she drove ashore on the southern side of the fjord.
HMS Hunter (Lt. Cdr. Lindsay De Villiers, RN) was also badly damaged by gunfire from the German destroyers and a collision with HMS Hotspur did the rest. The ship sank in the centre of the fjord in position 68°20'N, 17°04'E with heavy loss of life.
The BBC reported on 5 March 2008:
Sunken WWII ship found in fjord
The wreck of a Royal Navy destroyer has been found in a Norwegian fjord, 68 years after she sank during battle. HMS Hunter has remained undisturbed since April 1940 when she sank, killing 110 people during the Battle of Narvik.
It was found 305m (1,000ft) under water by a Norwegian mine control vessel on a multinational training exercise.
The site will be marked as a war grave on Saturday. Major General Garry Robison said finding HMS Hunter had been a "poignant moment".
HMS Hunter was one of two Allied destroyers lost during the first Battle of Narvik - the Germans lost four destroyers.
'Long lost' The 1,880 tonne H-Class Destroyer had a crew of 145 - 110 of whom were killed when she was sunk at 0530 GMT on 10 April 1940.
There have been several attempts to find her over the years, but it was the Norwegian mine hunter Hnoms Tyr, while on an exercise with the Royal Navy, Royal Norwegian Navy and Royal Netherlands Navy which discovered her.
Ships from the Royal Navy, the Netherlands Maritime Force and the Norwegian Navy, will lay wreaths over the spot in a commemorative service on Saturday.

Contributed by Michael Allbrook
Email: michael(@)
To contact Michael, copy and paste the address and remove the brackets around the @ - thank you.