Wimblington, Cambridgeshire


Extract from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1908
(kindly transcribed by Fiona Davis)

WIMBLINGTON (formerly a hamlet of Doddington) is now a parish on the road from Chatteris to March, with a station three quarters of a mile south on the Wisbech and St. Ives branch of the Great Eastern Railway and four miles south from March, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, union of North Witchford, petty sessional division and county court district of March, rural deanery of March and in the peculiar archidiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The church of St. Peter, built in 1874 at a cost of £4,000 and consecrated 15 May in that year, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an eastern tower with spire containing a clock and one bell: a stained eastern window was erected in 1902 as a memorial to Capt. Arthur Joseph Hill, East Surrey Regiment, and there are others to Lily Fisher and Emily, wife of the Rev. Joseph Hill B.A. rector here 1874-1904: there are 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1874. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £1, 320, with 7 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs Robert Hill, of Bale rectory, Norfolk, and held since 1904 by the Rev. Robert Bertram Hill M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge. There are two Wesleyan Methodist chapels, one at Stonea and the other in the village, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Hook. About 1714, Thomas Eaton bequeathed certain lands in the parish for the purpose of providing education for 40 children. The proceeds arising from this property are now devoted to secondary education. At Stonea Grange, a short distance from the village, there was once a Roman station, traces of which still remain, and on the site of which coins have been frequently found: it has been considered by some antiquaries as originally formed by the early inhabitants for the purpose of enclosing their cattle during the winter time, and afterwards to have been occupied as a military encampment. An old cannon ball found here, weighing 24lbs, is in the possession of William Bellamy esq. The principal landowners are Lieut-Col. Sir Algernon Francis Peyton, of Swift’s House, Bicester, Oxon, who is lord of the manor, William Bellamy esq., William Bridges Blunt esq. Of Whittlesea, Peterborough, and James Morton of Hook. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and rich fen-land. The chief crops are potatoes, wheat, oats and barley. The area is 7, 727 acres of land and 35 of water; the population in 1901 was 1, 135.

STONEA, in this parish, has a station on the Great Eastern line from Ely to Peterborough.

Sexton, Robert Hutchinson.

Post & M.O.O.S.B. & A & I. Office

Joseph Reynolds, sub-master.

Letters through March are delivered at 7 a.m. & 12.45p.m.; dispatched at 10.10a.m. and 9.20 p.m. Doddington is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant; telegrams received and taken at railway station, but not delivered.

Public Elementary Schools

Taken over by County Council July 1st 1903

Under local control of six managers, four appointed by County Council and two by Parish Council; meet first Monday in every month: C.P. Burling, March, correspondent: William Henry Yorke, Doddington, attendance officer.

Wimblington, founded originally in 1714 by a bequest of Mr Thomas Eaton, who left for this purpose property to the value of £120: the school will hold 160 children; average attendance 133; Ernest Ellen, master; Miss Sarah Hamps, infants’ mistress.

Stonea, built in 1882 at a cost of, with site, about £500, for 60 children: average attendance 50: the school was opened April 16th 1883; Mrs Fred Hudson, mistress.

Railway Stations

Wimblington, Watling Bethany, station master.

Stonea, James Carter, station master.


Bellamy, William

Hill Rev. Robert Bertram M.A. (rector), The Rectory


Arnold, John, farm bailiff to William Richardson esq. Nicks Hill Farm

Bellamy Wm, farmer & landowner

Bird Charles, farmer & fruit grower, Stonea

Blunt John, farmer

Bradshaw Thomas, beer retailer

Bradshaw William, butcher

Broker Arthur William, assistant overseer, highway surveyor & inspector of nuisances in North Witchford Rural District Council

Christmas Thomas, farmer

Clarke Henry, farmer, Stonebridge

Clarke John Albert, farmer

Cooke Jacob, farmer, Gray Farm

Cranfield John & Arthur, farmers

Cutteridge William & John, cattle & horse dealers

Darwood Mark, farmer

Davidson George, beer retailer

Dunham Brothers, farmers

Dunham Charles, farmer

Dunham John, Golden Lion P.H. Stonea

Emson Samuel, beer retailer

England Ephraim, farmer

Fisher Geo. Shopkeeper, Eastwood End

Fisher William, farmer, Boot’s Bridge

Fuller Thomas, Cock P.H.

Goose Samuel, The Chequers P.H.

Gorham Wm & Sons, farmers Honey Farm

Graves William, farmer

Griffin Albert, farmer

Griffin John, farmer

Gunton William, farmer, Hook

Hassock William, beer retailer

Hicks John, beer ret. & cottage farmer

Holland John, farmer, Rookery Farm

Hudson, Robert, cycle agent

Hudson William, blacksmith

Hutchinson William, wheelwright & blacksmith

Jackson Frederick, farmer, Five Hundred Farm

Jones Joseph, farmer, Hook

Kisbey Charles, farmer, Stitches Farm

Larham Charles, farmer, Stitches Farm

Laws George, farmer

Morley Fred, Bell P.H.

Morris Ebenezer, farmer, Stonea

Morris Marshall, farmer, Stonea

Morton Herbert, farmer, Stonea

Morton James, farmer & landowner, Hook

Morton Joseph, farmer

Neville Edward, farmer

Neville Edwin, assessor of poor rates and collector of King’s taxes

Norman Joseph jun., Anchor P.H.

Norman Joseph sen., farmer

Ogden Tom P., farmer

Parkinson George, farmer

Parkinson Henry John, beer retailer

Peacock Arthur, farmer, Latches Fen Farm

Piggott Ingle Thos. Grocer & baker

Redhead Charles, farmer

Redhead Henry, farmer, Manor House

Reynolds Joseph, Post Office grocer, draper & butcher

Richardson William, farmer

Seaman Fred William, beer retailer & wheelwright

Seekings George, farmer

Simons William, beer retailer

Taylor John, farmer

Young Frederick, farmer Honey Farm HHo

Top of the page or Return to Cambridgeshire Places Page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 9 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.